• Cl4ud3
    So playing with it for 2 days now and I sort of got that strange taste that another member had mentioned. Stripped the whole unit down and used a damp cloth and the brush from the Boundless kit to clean it.

Fine until I combusted slightly. Did the same again. Nice clear taste and then I notice a slight hint of something else.

Other problem I had was fine particles getting through the oven mesh. Tried a small 10mm screen before the outtake glass but this prevents the lid from fitting. Ended up putting a solid screen and another stickybrick screen in the oven to help eliminate particles that way.

So with a few combustion moments I decide to remove the flame intake glass and place a small 10mm screen where the glass goes, then re-insert the glass. It's a trick I do on the Milaana, placing a screen over the load to help prevent combustion.

Mess around for a few loads and no combustion incidents with the installed screen. Realise that the strange occasional taste has also gone.

So I think the strange taste is the wood intake getting slightly cooked (burning) and adding a slight taste, adding a screen under the intake stopped accidental combustion and improved the taste.

another thing I LOVE about the SB JR is the outtake pipe, you can remove it and flip its orientation which I find a better way to use the thing :)

Edit :- this thing rocks but a slight mod I would like to see would be a metal plate and cylinder for the intake to prevent scorching of the intake wood.
  • Sue
    that was me. i continue to get an odd taste. Have cleaned it thoroughly but i still get it. At first I was worried it was butane but I am pretty sure it is wood. Even without combusting I get the taste. It's not horrible or anything, but I would much rather taste pure bud.
  • Chandler
    tvyciu93le284vko.jpg
    ic0vm1nsxe9zbszn.jpg
    vghauquy800lntd4.jpg
    rvq5eo8qeohl9i5u.jpg
    Attachments
    IMG_20170328_184503 (116K)
    IMG_20170328_184841 (98K)
    IMG_20170328_184846 (132K)
    IMG_20170328_184943 (124K)
  • Sue
    thats a beautiful piece. Congrats!
  • Cl4ud3
    Another sexy brick (Y) How you finding it so far ?
  • Robbie
    I think I'm developing a mild case of brick acquisition syndrome. BAS. On a side note I almost threw my ff2 against the sidewalk yesterday on a walk with my dog. This brick seems so much more simple. ✌
  • Baron23
    Very nice, my friend. I hope it serves you well and that you are delighted with it.

Cheers
  • Cl4ud3
    Can you pull your intake tube out and take a picture of the intake hole. I ended up sanding mine down a bit because I was noticing the taste what the charred bits got warm.
  • Sue
    Ok i will try and do that tomorrow.
  • Sue
    looks good. Nothing charred. d9i9hhvh62oaom5a.jpg
    Attachment
    20170331_092634 (100K)
  • Cl4ud3
    Yeah that looks fine, can't think of where the taste could be coming from then. Unusual if it is the wood as normally vapes are made from non aromatic woods :(
  • Sue
    mine definitely has a scent to it. just putting my nose in there.
  • Cl4ud3
    Mine did too but that was only when it was slightly charred, its completely gone now. Sucks if you have a foreign taste as it won't make you want to use it :(
  • Sue
    i still use it and enjoy it. my flower just has a "complex" taste to it lol. it seems to be fading so .... there is that!
  • Baron23
    Just keep banging that thang there, Sue, and pretty soon the only thing it will smell/taste like is cannabis! LOL

What kind of wood is yours made of?
  • Sue
    thats what i figure ;-) I have the Cherry Wood.
  • Baron23
    Hi Sue - found this link (and others) on cherry and its aromatic characteristics:

http://www.itlcorp.com/Species/Cherry.aspx

Excerpted:

WOOD CHARACTERISTICS: The sapwood is light yellow, while the heartwood is brownish with a greenish tinge, darkening upon exposure to a deep reddish brown with a golden luster. The wood has a mild, aromatic scent, but no characteristic taste. It is of medium density, firm, and strong, with a fine, uniform texture. The grain is generally straight.

I think you will be fine and are just tasting the wood drying out and curing a bit, perhaps?
  • Sue
    It's like inhaling a fine wine .... haha. Yeah i don't think its anything toxic ..... simply the wood. I like how they say no characteristic taste .... um ... why is anyone tasting cherry wood in the first place? !
  • Jen
    @Chandler Beautiful piece! I have cherry for the Jr and walnut for the maxx, spalted maple might be my next purchase. Or maybe that new fancy exotic wood..., I have BAS, too!
  • Robbie

It looks like you're reaching connoisseur levels of BAS.
  • Chandler
    thats a beautiful piece. Congrats!Sue
    Thanks!!
    On a side note I almost threw my ff2 against the sidewalk yesterday on a walk with my dog. This brick seems so much more simple.Robbie
    its possible the brick is much more simple, however, unless the brick is standing on a table, being held by some one else, or your missing some ribs, you need two hands to operate. why its great to have multiple vapes for different occasions. i definitely wouldnt drive and use SBJr.! SBJr is also a vape that you probably don't want strangers seeing you put to use!
    Beautiful piece! I have cherry for the Jr and walnut for the maxx, spalted maple might be my next purchase. Or maybe that new fancy exotic woodJen
    thank you! what kind of wood is the exotic one?? If i could make a request i'd love to have an ebony wood SBJr! that would be incredible! (and expensive)
    Another sexy brick (Y) How you finding it so far ?Cl4ud3
    Thanks! i like it. i've been using it exclusively the last few days so i can fast track my opinion/experience and torch technique... so far its great. i would recommend. i just need a few more days with it to see where it lands in the rotation... its up against Mighty, and Vapman, 2 big contenders. its earned a spot though.... give me a few more days and i'll share my thoughts in full on SBJr
  • SlowDrawMG
    Hey everyone, I'm out with family right now but wanted to comment on taste and woods briefly. Some of our woods definitely have a woody taste but subsides after some use. I personally have never tasted butane using our products. I use Vector 14X refined. It's just something I used from the beginning and stuck with it. The charring of the intake hole could cause some taste differences but a little sand paper can fix that right up. I found that when the flame is lower and you figure a technique that way, it's harder to char the Intake. I have charred the Intake on one of my units because I used a high flame for extended periods. Also to note, that if it does char, it only does so to a certain point. If anyone has questions you can PM me or write me at:

CJ and SBL
  • Robbie

Good point. Yeah I could see that being an issue haha. I love to blaze n drive.
  • Sue
    i am actually relieved that you said its natural for the woody taste! Thank you!
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet