• Jim Jones
    Hi All,

I need a portable vaporizer for Amsterdam this summer. I see a bunch of 420 deals and want to get something for about $100. After a fair amount of research, I've narrowed down my choices to the G Pen Elite and the Boundless CF. I can get both for about $100 this week. I need to make a decision by 4/20. Please help me.

I am mostly interested in vapor quality (potency, flavor, coolness, healthiness and lack of harshness). But I also appreciate many of the stealth, portability and other features of the G Pen Elite. I have the following concerns about the G Pen Elite:
    1. It may produce vapor that is much hotter than the CF.
    2. The mouthpiece may get too hot during normal vaping (< 10 min at < 390 F).
    3. The air path is not isolated, and possibly forces user to breathe in harmful fumes.

Assuming the Elite produces vapor quality comparable to the CF, I am leaning towards purchasing the Elite. I want to confirm the vapor quality is comparable and that it's not so much hotter that it's uncomfortable to use.

If you can purchase either for $100, which will you choose? And is there another option for $100 I'm missing? I'm not comfortable bringing this back through USA customs, so it will likely be a gift to someone at the end of my Amsterdam vacation.
  • VapeCritic
    Hey Jim thanks for posting!

I would personally rather have the CF with me in Amsterdam, if vapor quality, smoothness and a cool mouthpiece are most important to you.

The Elite is decent too but the vapor will feel a little bit hotter and the mouthpiece also heats up so you have to make sure you put your lips on it a certain way.
  • Baron23
    I'm with Bud...Boundless makes some very nice products for a very good price. I believe you will like the CF as a very good performing and functioning lower cost vape.

I just like the Boundless guys and what they are doing in general.
  • Jim Jones

Thanks Bud. It sounds like you're saying the vapor quality/temp is significantly better in the CF. Because I think the digital and portability features of the Elite are significantly better than the CF. Is my understanding correct? I don't want to miss out on all of the Elite's extra features if the vapor quality/temp of the CF is just a little better.

Sorry for trying to split a hair. :)
  • Jim Jones

Thanks Baron. I've heard a lot of great things about Boundless. Have you tried the CF and the Elite?
  • Baron23
    No, I have used the CFX which is the CF but with set temp points instead of setting temp in one degree increments.

I have not used the Grenco Elite products but have used a older model...the G Pro I believe...and would prefer the Boundless product (but YOU may find the Grneco that you get, versus my friends Grenco vape...this is not scientific or exhaustive testing here...just me LOL).
  • VapeCritic
    No worries my friend, the only thing with the CF when I compare it to the CFX is that the lowest heat level on the CF is roughly equal to 355F on the CFX, but with both models 355 acts more like ~365 on other vapes (so runs a little hot)

So as long as you don't plan on vaping at temps lower than that the CF should serve you very well
  • Jim Jones

Thanks guys. Appreciate your input. I'll purchase the CF.
  • Baron23
    Hi Jim - come back and let us know how you like it. A little feedback, to make sure we aren't steering people in the wrong direction, is always helpful.
  • Jim Jones

Sounds like a plan. Not sure when I'm actually going to test it. The current plan is to keep it clean until I get to Amsterdam. I've heard some horror stories about TSA and vapes. But maybe I'll get a legal herbal blend to try it out.
  • Baron23
    Oh right...forgot this was for a semi-disposable to take on an overseas trip.

Travel safe.
  • Jim Jones

Hey again, just noticed a sale on the Vivant Alternate for < $100. Any thoughts on this one?
  • Relaxed
    Happy with CF but it is large for a portable. Would prefer better temp adjustment, but that is larger and costs more. CF is solid. Have not tried the other one.
  • Baron23
    Cheap plastic that is melting a bit on the CU over the oven and some cracks in the CU.

Vivant is rapidly working to solve this issue but I'm not sure I would get one at this time. Its not clear if its a material issue, an issue with how its molding/formed, or what. Its int eh works.

However, if I remember correctly, you plan to toss it after your trip to EU, right? It certainly should hold up for a couple of weeks for you.

Also, there appears to be a batch that gave off a bad smell (chinese robot farts is the term used, I believe LOL) and many others who say that they had no such problem.

There is a discount code for 420 today from Vivant for 42% off, I believe. The correct code is: VIV420

Good luck
  • Baron23
    b0cuobtrimoqyq77.jpg
    Attachment
    Vivant 420 (136K)
  • Jim Jones

Thanks Baron. Assuming the MP/CU gets fixed as Vivant promises, do you think the Alternate beats the CF, ignoring the price difference? The Alternate's certainly cheaper with the sale.

And because I'm clearly indecisive, what if I throw the Grasshopper into the mix? I'm guessing they go from best to worst: Grasshopper, Alternate (w/ fix), CF. What do you say?
  • Jim Jones

Thanks Relaxed. I am looking for an on-demand vape with a smaller chamber. Ideally it will be a convection or a hybrid. I'm really liking CF and Alternate. But I'm wondering if I should just spend more and get the Grasshopper. I like what I'm reading about the Grasshopper's vape performance, except for the hotter vapor. But I prefer the digital features, cooler vapor and price of the Alternate. The CF seems very comparable to the Alternate in performance, with better materials, but without as many digital features.

Just when I thought I was going to buy the CF, I learned about the Alternate. And just when I was about to buy the Alternate, I read about the melting/cracking and plastic vapor issues. Oh well, time is ticking and I'll make at least one purchase tonight before I miss out on the 420 sales.
  • Baron23
    Hi Jim - I can't parse the differences between these vapes as fine as you may want. I understand completely, I also have been torn with indecision in vape purchases in the past and sometimes you just gots to puts yours money down, and takes your chances. LOL

I have never used an Alternate, but Bud has, I believe. I have used the CFX which is pretty much the same as a CF but with more display and temp resolution.

Now, as to the Grasshopper. I own one. Mine has been rock solid. Bud has two that have been rock solid. But they are still shipping units that need RMAs, sometimes multiple, so I only advise purchasing a GH if you already have other vapes. Its a killer, no doubt. Great strong vapor. .1 .12 g load size and it extracts very well.

But, if I remember correctly you are taking it to the EU and plan to ditch it prior to coming back. Is that still the case? If so, you are agonizing over this too much.

Get the CF or Alternate and chuck it before coming home. I would not advise you to spend GH money on something you are going to throw away eventually.

Hope this is helpful.
  • Jim Jones

Thanks Baron. I purchased the Alternate at the great price about an hour ago. I spoke with Emily at Vivant over the phone today and she gave me a lot of confidence that the issues will be resolved.

The plan has changed a little, but yes, I still need a portable for Amsterdam this summer. Ideally, I'll bring that portable home with me, but only if I'm very confident it's extremely clean. If I have any doubts, I'll give it to a friend at the end of my trip.

Based on how well a GH can be cleaned, and how stealthy they are, I'm thinking that may be the easier one to get back through customs. But you never know, I may get an agent that is aware of it and gives me trouble. I'd rather lose the Alternate than the GH, and I'd rather not have the hassle at all. I've still got to figure out how I'll handle the return trip.

All of the research has got me addicted to portable vapes now. I've had a Volcano for years and love it, but I've realized I'd typically prefer an on demand unit that works great with a water pipe. Hence, the GH seems to be perfect for me. It will let me take rips at home using a water pipe. And I can take it to the beach and other places where stealth is mandatory. I think I'm going to purchase the GH tonight on sale. Is the $180 price tag a rare opportunity for the GH? Or do you think I'll see that price again in the next few months?

Thanks for all of your time and assistance. Happy 420!
  • Baron23
    Hi Jim - probably too late, but if you are an experienced vaporist (and you are) and you have other vapes (which you do) then getting a GH for the purposes you outlined (at home ripping on a WP) is a great idea.

Reliability is the only real concern with a GH and if you go into it with your eyes open and the understanding that you may well use the life time warranty, then its a great purchase (well, at least I love mine....not everybody feels the same).

Cheers
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet