• EconMan
    Ok. I just did a quickie squish. Began with 1.75g of good bud, pressed twice (folded puck over and press again on new parchment paper -- but I do not mix the two batches). The first batch I do at 200 for 150s Second batch at 224 for 100s. Harvested .49g of what I define as smokable rosin (relative, I know). Hence, a 28% squish.

I've only used 115m bags thus far, but it certainly decreases yield. The question is and remains, is the additional quality "worth it"?
  • Gman
    When pressing more than a few grams, filters increase yield by holding the plant material together. The amount held in the filter is negligible unless you are only pressing 1-2 grams. Then .1 matters.

Filters will only hurt yeild if you don't fold them inside out to prevent external seams. This is hwy I use bottle tech style filters, no seams.
  • EconMan

Interesting. And makes total sense to me. It's a scale issue. I can wait to try a bag using the full 2x3 plate dimensions which would seemingly be ideal. As I understand, the bag itself "costs something" and therefore the batch size has to be sufficiently large to make it worth it. Is that correct?
  • Gman
    Well ya the bag's around 1-2 bucks a pop so i do like to press as much as I can. This is why slow bottle tech is so great, small footprint and you can go slow to maximize pressure vs heat. But the seams of the bag around the square will hold wax, this is where the loss will be. And why circle bottle tech is best.
  • EconMan

As in this vid? Makes sense. More uniform pressure without going too hard

Circle Tech
  • EconMan
    @LabPonget al.... look what came in just now for my (our) press? :love:

Will report back how it goes.

akyay4unkxuexhku.jpeg
  • Gman
    exactly like that!
  • EconMan

Just tried it. Many advantages. Good yield of about 22%, but really clear and tasty.
    Makes me question the pre-press purchase? But nevertheless, I'll fiddle about with it. :)
  • Gman
    You can use the prepress to make flat rosin pucks, or initial tiny pressure to just make the bag small enough. But otherwise, ya, no reason to buy a pre-press :)
  • LabPong
    EconMan....what kind of temps and times have you been pressing......say smaller squishes like 0.5 to 1g?
  • EconMan
    I would do 195 for two minutes. (and I am a proponent of repressing -- I fold the pucks in half and then repress.
    Remember to press down s l o w l y. If you find yourself pressing really hard, then that is too hard. There is a little nut by which you can adjust how close the plates get (to accommodate big and small squishes). Should be fine for small pressings the way it is shipped.

I'm experimenting with micron bags today and will have some interesting results to share. In short, I got a great yield using a 4g bag just now, but I used the "bottle tech" method discussed above by @Gman
  • LabPong
    I would do 195 for two minutes. (and I am a proponent of repressing -- I fold the pucks in half and then repress.
    Remember to press down s l o w l y. If you find yourself pressing really hard, then that is too hard. There is a little nut by which you can adjust how close the plates get (to accommodate big and small squishes). Should be fine for small pressings the way it is shipped.
    EconMan

Cool thanks.....I did the first one at 205 for 110 seconds.....I will try dropping that temp down and see what happens. I need more time to prep some flower with proper moisture first.....I must get 25% yeild....lol
  • EconMan

Yes. Humidity is important. I use 62% Boveda's in my "for-pressing" flower stashes. As you start pressing you'll quickly see how flower quality impacts actual yield (what you're able to dab).

Yeah, experiment. Like I said, I'm tinkering with micron bags right now.
    I am averaging about 23% across my batches (for the math nerds - sd=2.1), although once I got 33% but it was nasty -- I must have over pressed it? Regardless, the better strains give the better yields. Indeed, that's how I evaluate flower now -- how well does it press?
  • Dr green thumb
    I agree humidity is important. I use a simple way to evaluate the bud.I just feel how sticky the bud is, the stickier bud presses better. Also fresh bud is better imo.
  • Zep4
    DIY Vise heat press using hair straightener parts.
    https://youtu.be/iFRsKPeic_w
    jqvkpy907p3xrwoy.jpeg
  • Zep4
    I haven’t made that, but it’s the best video I’ve seen on the project.
  • Dr green thumb
    The clamp press could be improved with digitally temperature controlled plates which wont burn your rosin. Hair straightener plates are way too hot.
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet