• VapeCritic
    This is my first real squish with any rosin press, this is the NewVape Micro 20 Press: https://www.newvape.com/micro-20-rosin-press?acc=4

• VapeCritic
    Share your tips to help me get better! 8-)
  • Libx
    Try 140 degrees 3 min press
  • Bruce
    Yo Yo Yo Boyz N Girlz, Drum rolll......... The Vape Critic has done it again! He has produced once again a critically acclaimed Video Review.

Get the Popcorn ready...
  • VapeCritic
    Lolol Bruuuuuuuce
  • Bruce

I like the new Funky Music, Can we expect a Vape Critics Greatest Hits?

That was a really cool video. I am thinking it might pay for itself financially and it's homemade. (There is nothing like homemade).
  • koepen
    really nice!!!
  • Gman
    awesome video man!!

I think you might be pressing too hard for such a small bag that's why the huge blow out and the resin squish out the sides of the parchment. The puck does not need to be paper thin after to still get max yield. You can also fold the sides over to force the flow out the front.

But regardless, the setup looks great and you have solvent less dabs now, woooo!!!
  • Bruce
    Are the solventless dabs, more potent than with solvent?
  • Cl4ud3
    Shouldn't make any difference it's just an extraction method. Solvents though have to be cleaned out of the dabs by evaporation and heat, so it will be a longer process.
  • Gman
    The potency varies based on method and starting materiel. it's generally pretty close to BHO, but none of them compare to distillate of course.

The issue with solvents is you never know how clean the butane or propane was that they used, or if they purged it properly. It's very difficult to make BHO/PHO and ISO/EQ. And dangerous. Smashing nugs with heated plates can be done by anyone, anywhere. The only danger is the press itself since it's mechanical and can break down.

What you also can't really do with rosin is winterize (dewax) because of the specific process to do so, so for people who can't handle the extra lipids in the wax should stick to solvent dewax stuff like distillate.

Nothing compares to rosin in flavour imo. It's got the full profile of the flower weather you do a flower of keif or bubble squish, it's always going to be terp loaded.
  • LeqCannaSoins
    A really sweet looking press and one hell of a gorgeous ball of sticky cannabis resinous goo ! My grower and I had the same problem as yours seaping onto the press plates. We were able to use a cookie sheet where the edges allowed the plates to pass, that and doubling the parchment paper.
    We also needed to recalibrate the plate distance for the thickness of the plate. Eventually we went to a fabricated stainless steel plate which is better.
  • Gman
    doubling the parchment leads to ripples that doen't allow the resin to flow away from the puck.
  • JamesTiberiusKirk
    Beautiful! I live in a rec state, so I can get oil, but it does have to be so satisfying to press your own. Especially if you grew the cannabis.

Someday.
  • Mouette
    That's one sexy rig! I'd say that folding your paper's sides inwards would probably help it keep all the rosin? I noticed that your paper was left open and I didn't understand why but I'm sure there must be some reason I don't know about.

I'd gladly watch more rosin press videos! :D
  • AVENTUS
    Lower temps
    More time
    More pressure
  • VapeCritic
    Thanks everybody!!

If anyone is interested the stuff I ended up with I would classify as "pull & snap" consistency.

I always disliked the idea of solvents being used to produce my concentrates so I was really interested in getting one of these presses and learning about it.

One of the big things I notice with Rosin is that it's SUPER smooth going down, dabs are noticeably easier on the throat and lungs, and the flavor is pretty damn good too 8-)

I wanna try the directional flow and press it with the thing sideways!
  • VapeCritic
    ALSO, NewVape makes other presses in addition to this one, I have a setup that is less than 1/3rd the price to show you as well, with the same quality plates (Y)
  • Sue
    The whole thing is hot. End of story
  • Cl4ud3
    ALSO, NewVape makes other presses in addition to this one, I have a setup that is less than 1/3rd the price to show you as well, with the same quality plates (Y)VapeCritic

Now that is interesting. These things are out of the range of some of us as you can see from the "what do you do for a living" thread
  • Baron23
    Hi Bud - nice vid.

Couple of questions....I see Gman alluded to this above...you did blow out the bag, right?

Did you have much plant material left in your rosin? I know rosin will have the lipids and such and should be expected to leave more residue in a nail than good winterized BHO, but did much actual plant material get in the rosin?

What temp did you set? I ask because a saw all sorts of temps in the controller displays to even be over 300 F if I saw it correctly.

Thanks....real interesting. Please keep posting updates of your learning experience as you go on. Should end up making a nice tutorial for squishing. X-)
  • Bruce
    I have Vape Press envy.
  • AVENTUS
    less potent, and still have some of the stuff you don't want (unnecessary lipids etc)

But with concentrates, potency in terms of raw cannabinoid content isn't the real metric we should focus on. Everyone's taste will vary, but I have found with blind tests, almost everyone I know seems to prefer concentrates with between 75-85%THC+THCa, and .75-1.25% CBD, and 7.5-12.5% terps ...... when directly compared to concentrate with 95%+ THC+THCa, and minimal terps.

I myself can go for as much as 20% terps, so long as it's not a diesel/fuel/weedy scented strain. I gladly take 20% terps on piney/floral/fruity strains like Tangie, Clem, Grape God, Tangerine Haze, Etc

So the main thing with rosin is, can you press cool enough to retain terps ? And can you find strains which have resin glands which have low lipid content and very high terp content. Also pressing rosin on late harvest isn't as optimal as early harvest, since the heat in squishing is going to convert some THCa/THC into CBN. And late harvest with non-clear resin glands already has a little CBN.

Rosin is more dependent on great high potency, high terp, low lipid strains, than is BHO/LHO/distillate/live resin. And the real rub with Rosin is that it's not done on fresh frozen material. It's only done with cured flowers. So strains with ephemeral live resin (like tangerine haze, Strawberry Cough, Clem, etc), that impart the aroma and flavor of an entire live growroom in their low temp dab hits, don't come out as mind blowing oh great in Rosin, as they do with fresh Frozen live resin.

But rosin techniques are still pretty damned excellent for those who want concentrate experience, without a single PPM of residual solvents in their concentrate. (Y)

Luckily the medical program in my state has an amazingly strict standard for residual solvent, so I am very lucky.
  • Cl4ud3
    You guys are so lucky being in a country with legal states
  • Gman
    I would try 180f for 3-5 minutes and do not hit is so hard. That's a massive press for such a small puck diameter.
  • AVENTUS
    concentrates have really come so far in just a few short years thanks to all my fellow scientifically literate nerdy and intensely curious perfectionist stoners !

It's a blessing or sure !
  • Cl4ud3
    Your definitely lucky, I might have just found a UK source but I'm not crossing my fingers.
  • Mouette
    @VapeCriticDo you know what would be awesome? Providing us with a few more pressing vids while we wait for that Ghost review :D
    Was there a little too much product in your pouch!!
  • Texan1967
    I would love to see more of these types of videos, the various ways of making dyi concentrates. I'm in love with concentrates! More please...
  • seaofgreens
    I always find if you pre-squish the pucks without heat first, you can get a nice compact pellet that remains intact without a pouch when you go to squish with the heat. I also find the yield quite a bit better that way. It is a good way to gauge your yield, as when the puck doesn't stick to itself, there is just not a whole lot to squish out. You want a puck that easily compacts and stays stuck to itself, waiting for it's goodies to be released in a torrent :P

I suggest just getting all the material you want and dry squish first, into as small of pucks as you can, then heat press the pucks after.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment