• bener
    and @Rockytdogg

It’s sorta a secret but he’s doing it all the time. :-O
  • Rockytdogg
    @elykpeace @bener
    Hey give me a break I am a hired hand after all...!

Wait who’s paying whom now...what?... taking “advantage” of us old stoners isn’t very nice.... ;)
  • elykpeace
    I think @bener was just saying to quit being such a tease. But seriously don't because I like seeing people's reactions/impressions to new toys ... Well toys of the vaping nature.
  • bener
    Yes, @Rockytdogg, just having some fun.
  • Rockytdogg
    Waaaaaaaiiiitttttt just a minute!

You think I’m offended!?!? Hahaha!

I’m sorry but that’s not gonna do it...

You must try harder... much much harder!

For that to happen if it’s even possible, but please be my guest...

Edit: my post up there was more of a playful dig at Ghost.... and in all my years of foruming I’ll never learn to stop being sarcastic, despite the fallout.... it’s just who I am I guess...
  • Rockytdogg
    LIFT medium sifting disc result (Tangie Sherbert, either kinda old stock or just not digging the strain):
    pdx7z292vql25t0n.jpeg
    Attachment
    49039BF5-6636-4453-8992-21C69BC9F39D (295K)
  • Erikson
    does the lift end up with the material in that bottom part.
  • Rockytdogg

It works like any other grinder with a kief catcher (if you choose to attach it.) So either the kief ends up in the catcher and the material on the kief screen or you take out the kief screen and chop straight into the kief catcher.... or you can chop straight into the serving tray without screwing it on (cuz u can’t).
  • medicalmark
    Well it's cutting that preserves trichomes grinfing smashes them thus cutting is better, who wants trichome battered medicine lol
  • Baron23
    hi guys - so I got my Lift knockoff...the LinCig Grinder and it does a nice job of making fluffy herb.

I used the small hole screen and don't know that I want to go bigger but may give medium a shot.

I do note that with other grinders, a couple/few twists and you are done. With this type of grinder (cutter), you need to keep turning as it incrementally cuts your buds. No big deal, but I was suprised the first time I opened it after a few twists and saw most of the bud still sitting on top. Just keep turning and it all gets cut up.

So help me out a bit....why should I care if my trichomes are whole or not. They aren't maturing and growing anymore. Seems to me that cut or crushed or whatever as long as the contents of these trichomes are still in the herb, why should I care.

Now, I don't try to separate trichomes from herb...that is, I don't try to collect keif but if any is knocked off in the grinding/drying stages of prep, I'll capture them and add them back into loads later.

But why should I care if they are intact or not??
  • Rockytdogg

That preference really goes back to my growing days with carefully cured fluffy buds being either hand torn for pipes and bongs or cut with scissors for joints and large sessions... Never liked manhandling buds, grinding between them between thumb and forefinger..... ugh! Just wanted them to stay where they were naturally until combusted. Kief is pretty tiny and unless you scrape up every minute crumb, much of it never gets pinched up and ends up being overlooked or mixed with something else. Plus one would think a grinding, crushing or smashing action would cause more resin to get hung up in the teeth rather than sharp slicing blades... I dunno... it just kinda looks cool too...
  • medicalmark
    That's my point it's the trichomes that hold the greatest amount a medicinal content, when you getting slot of kief in your grinder it means your tricks are being knocked off and are not in what your taking or there's not as much.
    The more trichomes the medicinal value so knocking them off is not medicinally viable and preserving them will give you the most medicinal value
    Cheers medicalmark
  • medicalmark
    I'll give you a example bubble bags have different sift sizes to catch trichomes of different sizes which have different strengths
    In the same sense you want all trichomes of different strengths and sizes to fully medicate.
    Do you want the most out of your medicine then you want to preserve the trichomes
    Cheers medicalmark
  • Rockytdogg

I believe what @Baron23 is saying is, why does it matter where the trichomes are, they all get scraped up and vaped in the end either way? No? But I don’t want to speak for him...
  • medicalmark
    Well they get stuck to the grinder and basically you loose your medicine because there's no real way to effectively reclaim what's stuck to the grinder. I want my grinder to cut and chop but due minimal damage to the trichomes if there still on the cannabis then your using it, not if there stuck to the grinder
  • Oliver
    I am thinking of getting the Lift 3-piece grinder. It comes with a medium sifting disc. I was thinking of adding the fine sifting disc. I missed seeing a link to get a free fine sifter.
  • Rockytdogg

It was in a post a couple of pages back... Here’s the one I used that @HocusPocus posted for me: “STRAINCENTRAL”. Add it to your cart before the grinder. I’m thinking I might order the coarse one too just to have all 3. You will not be disappointed, Ollie!
  • Baron23
    Didn't I say that? But yes.

Well they get stuck to the grinder and basically you loose your medicine because there's no real way to effectively reclaim what's stuck to the grinder.medicalmark

As a practical matter, I just don't find this to be true. Busted up trichomes do NOT continue to just build up in my grinders. Otherwise, after a few times they would be unusable and that's not the case. Again, as a practical matter, It all pretty much ends up in the vape.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but personally I think we do lose some perspective on issues like this from time to time.

And I have no idea how making bubble hash is related but its an always interesting topic and I have a friend on FC who is mad about making full melt bubble.

Cheers
  • Rockytdogg

I’m sorry but I don’t think I’ve lost any perspective... I have a grinder right now in front of me that has tons of black buildup on every tooth and smushed into every groove and crevice and it binds up just trying to spin it if I don’t scrape the mixture off....pita! Did I mention that I hate it with every fiber of my being...? I actually don’t even want to give it away to a friend....
  • BoomDraws
    All this talk about - busted trichomes.... you guys understand how tiny the particle is right? What do you think happens in a HPHT rosin press to make your concentrates then?
  • bener

It really sounds like it’s time to officially retire your older one and perhaps give it a proper send off to exorcise it from your life.
  • Rockytdogg

Um... I grew pounds and pounds of top shelf for years professionally, I think I know a little bit. Not everything and not much about “modern” technique, but a little...
  • MMongo

Build up/cleaning is why I got rid of my first iteration of the lift. It was great until it got gummed up. Hopefully they’ve improved that aspect somehow but once it gets funky it seemed to me the cutter got dull or something and it went south fast.
  • BoomDraws
    I know and understand that. I am speaking from specifically a science/pharma aspect....
  • Rockytdogg

I sincerely hope this isn’t the case but only time will tell... I wonder what the MV2 is gonna be like... :P ;) X-)
  • bener
    I would think that you just need to clean it, @Rockytdogg

I saw a demo video on the Lift-innovations site that included cleaning, so obviously they expect users will have to do so. That's the case with any grinder, isn't it? Maybe the SLX is an exception, though I've read that some folks do find they need to clean theirs occasionally.
  • Rockytdogg

I actually don’t mind cleaning nice things that much at all... it’s the crappy things that really sucks having to clean.
  • Ooziah
    I have SLX it's great; Cleaning (the lack of the need) is important to me. It doesn't get any easier than SLX>
  • Rockytdogg
    See again (I think I posted this earlier in this thread), when I was growing, I don’t even think they had specific grinders for our favorite flower yet (late 80’s), or at least not in the head shops around here. I’m sure I would’ve bought one then seeing as I was living the lifestyle of a young rich partying addict... we only used spinning coffee grinders back then to grind up freeze dried psilocybin for tea bags (I wonder if my parents or grandparents ever felt a little psilly after their coffees... X-) )

Personally, I don’t think you could go wrong with either of what I consider to be the big 3: the SCS, SLX and LIFT.

I will not place the LinCig to be among them, as I consider it to be a vastly inferior knockoff.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment