• Hitz
    Since I'll hopefully be receiving my Firefly 2 in May I'm trying to understand AVB.

What does it look like when it's used up? Smell?

Is all the good stuff really extracted?

Strong enough to save for edibles/blunt?

Love to hear you guy's thoughts that have been vaping for a bit.
  • Steve Gunn
    I throw mine in the compost
  • Flipz
    LMAO

I also always throw it right in
    51stfz3bfk6o9baq.jpg

or dump it into my hand and blow it off. maybe a plant will start to grow sometime 8-)
    for me personally, i don't find vaped herb appealing at all. wish i did, might save me money heh. later man
    Attachment
    roor-ashtray (67K)
  • VapeCritic
    Smells like burnt popcorn and I toss it! Some people make edibles with it, but not me :-}

It'll be a dark brown color when it's spent

0k2u7g6x59j57ud5.jpg
    761c4bobrdhx9eow.jpg
    6isaz2tho6gsnz3s.jpg
    Attachments
    Photo Oct 15, 4 08 11 PM (250K)
    Photo Oct 15, 5 41 34 PM (264K)
    Photo Oct 15, 5 42 29 PM (328K)
  • TheAnalogKid
    Tried both edibles and smoking it once, bad taste and no fun for me. Some others declared to have a magnified effect and they keep burning it, so go figure...

I started vaping because I don't smoke, so it was mainly a functional issue and it was worth spending the extra money in the device. Recently I've got a scale and started to weight the contents just for fun, and only then I realized about the efficiency. Doing some math my latest vape already paid by itself.

My conclusion, don't even bother about reusing the AVB and give it back to mother nature.
  • zelucas
    Hello ... There are people who make hash oil using alcohol isopropyl, they treat the AVB like cannabis dehydrated the ABV is vaporized cannabis, do not believe it just you check the vaporization of cannabinoids table will find that using a temperature of 220 * C (which is my case) u will vaporize all of them and there's nothing left ... I did once when I cleaned my EQ the result was a black, stinking oil did not have usar..Se vc courage to use it again the vaporizing he gets a taste of cannabis forgotten in the bottom drawer 2 years .... too bad ... .Conclusion best remedy for AVB's throw away .... by
  • Aj85
    I've tried making ISO oil, Eliquid, smoking it and making butter! But it's always disappointed! Best just throwing it away!

All the best,

Aj.
  • Hitz
    Thanks for all the input, vapecritic thanks for the images for reference I'll hopefully be using them sometime in May! You guys all rock and thanks for the laughs too!

mpu212ejjc5rhiqf.jpeg
    Attachment
    image (64K)
  • Ander
    I usually vape with the pax2 at temp 1 and 2 during the day/evening, I collect the remains, and then I revape a full load at temp 3 before bed... and I can't say it doesn't work! But after that, I was afraid to throw it away anyway...
    "Until it isn't burned to ashes, has something to give!" This is how a smoker think. This is why I was collecting my AVB, I presume... but since I'm not a smoker anymore... ok let's do it... I'll give it to my ladies!
  • Ander
    And I've used vapes at around 225f to decarboxylate small amounts of herb for making ISO oil in small batches for personal use!Aj85
    Since it seems that I simply can't throw it away for the moment... May I ask for your recipe..? I am in the mood for experiments and I always have to try it myself before sentencing... :-}
  • Aj85
    hey man how's it going? The recipe I use is best for fresh herb not AVB, as it just makes disappointing results with weak effects and no terpenes so no flavour, as nearly all the goodies have been vaped!

Though if you really want to try it. I will let you know but I wouldn't recommend using AVB!

I personally do recommend throwing AVB away! I've tried all sorts of methods from butter to tinctures and oils I've even made eliquid but it's always disappointed me but all the recipes rock when used with fresh herbs!

All the best,

Aj.
  • Flipz
    "Until it isn't burned to ashes, has something to give!" This is how a smoker think.Ander

I could not agree with you more on that statement :-O
  • Aj85
    here's where I learnt my Qwiso technique https://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwiso/ very comprehensive step by step guide!

Sorry for just giving you a link but it saves me a hell of a lot of typing from my phone lol but this is where I got all my info and it works amazingly with fresh herbs!

So please take your time and read that web page carefully, and of course If you have any further questions I'll be more than happy to answer!

Oh and a quick tip AVB is already decarboxylated so you can skip that part as it only applies to fresh green herb.

Take it easy!

All the best,

Aj.
  • Ander
    Ahhh... ok. My mistake. We are talking about extraction with alcohol..! I was thinking about the base oil to use with the preparation of edibles... But that link will be precious: I've extracted resin with ethyl alcohol 95% before... sometimes with GREAT results, sometimes with BAD results (I think greed is what ruined my work, after the first positive results!)... but always with the fresh dryed parts, so I agree with all of you on that. (Y)
  • Ander
    Here it is... "The first question is why use a quick wash technique to extract the resins, instead of long soaks to extract as much resin as possible" He he... because greed is a bad sin..!
  • Aj85
    ok no worries the ethyl alcohol method is edible but Qwiso isn't!

Sounds like you need a butter recipe then you simply add the butter to whatever you want to cook chocolate muffins are great! Or you could infuse it into vegetable glycerine then just put it into food or drink or an Ecig it's great in hot chocolate or coffee!

For butter it's really simple! basically just decarb (not if using AVB though) the herb first then cook into the butter on a low heat for three hours here's a step by step guide it's basically the same method I use and works great, there's also some recipe ideas! Temps are in farenheit! http://www.thecannabist.co/2013/12/27/kitchenweed/1244/

And the reason you use a quick wash extraction is for the purity of the oil, if you are after purely THC and CBD etc in the oil!

Isopropyl alcohol is very strong solvent and it's known as a poler solvent meaning it can even break down water solubles and plant matter like chlorophyl's, it even changes the colour of the oil from the golden honey colour to green then eventually brown. It's this kind of near microscopic plant matter that causes impurities In the oil that can kill atomizers of concentrate pens quicker than normal!

Hope this is what your after, and again any other questions just ask m8

All the best,

Aj.
  • Ander
    ok no worries the ethyl alcohol method is edibleAj85
    Ehm... In the past, I smoked it. Oh shit what a blow..!!! Curious to vape it...

Hope this is what your afterAj85
    Oh yes... (Y) (Y) (Y)
  • Aj85
    sorry m8 I've just edited my post and added a bit about using Vegtable glycerine so pls read it again. any questions about Vegtable Glycerine infusion just ask m8 it's so simple it's just as easy as butter!

All the best,

Aj.
  • Baron23
    I am saving it right now but I'm not sure that I will be able do something useful with it.

I will take a couple of ounces of it and try to use this cannabutter recipe. It might be a complete bust but I do think there is still some goodness in my Volcano AVB just crying to be extracted and condensed. We will see

http://www.hightimes.com/read/ultimate-cannabutter-experiment-method-1

There is also test results from labs comparing the four different cannabutter recipes used and Method 1 seems to be a clear winner

http://www.hightimes.com/read/ultimate-cannabutter-experiment-results

I wish I could get my hands on some good trim to make butter out of but I just haven't been able to find any.
  • Ander
    As always... nice adding! (Y)
    So this Crock-Pot seems a must for such experiments... phew... money, money, money...

"Until it isn't burned to ashes, has something to give!" This is how a smoker think.
    — Ander

I could not agree with you more on that statement :-O
    Flipz
    Well at this point, let's change it in: "Until it isn't cooked, has something to give!" This is how a vaper think. >:)
  • Aj85
    Don't get me wrong guys it's not that I'm saying there's no effect from it, it's just very mild more like an antidepressant.

In hard times a few of my friends have even smoked it and said they definitely felt mild effects from it!

It's just that when it comes to oils, tinctures or butters you get out what you put in and when you make it from prime bud you get a prime product and crap bud equals crap at the end. Personally if I'm going to spend three plus hrs making something I want it to be the best it can be so I personally find it a waste of time when I could of used some prime instead. But that's just my own personal opinion.

One cool thing you could try is mixing a bit into mixed herbs, as its already decarboxylated its fine to add to something like a lasagne or spaghetti bolognas. Just don't go too mad as it adds quite a toasted flavour to the dish but with strong beef and tomato flavours the right amount with the mixed herbs gives nice flavour. Again though not the strongest effects!

Happy experimenting fellas! :D

All the best!

Aj.
  • Aj85
    I must admit I don't add water and I decarboxylate for 40 minutes at 240 fahrenheit and then just use clarified butter and a low heat stiring at least every 15 minutes for about three hours it's very very easy to do!

Stinks the house out a bit with the smell of hot butter lol so you might want to use an extracter fan if you've got one lol

All the best,

Aj.
  • Ander
    Well... I think I will do some "cannaoil", and in the worst case, I will use it to make massages..!
  • Baron23
    Hi AJ - hope you're doing well, mate.

Yep, garbage in/garbage out and I guess that this applies to making butter also. Like I said, I would love to find some trim and such as using primo flowers just seems just not right. Not until they legalize this stuff in my state and access is free and easy.

The method I was interested in was Method 1, the Scientific Method which also doesn't use water. Its the one with a bit of Everclear (75% alcohol corn liquor) to release THC from the plant material.

Well, I might just have to get a 1/2 ounce one day and cook some butter up...but man, its going to be tough to put a 1/2 of bud into a crock pot and not a vaporizer! LOL
  • Aj85
    hi mate I'm well thanks and I hope you are too! :)

I know it's a bit strange at first, and there might even be a scary moment or two where your not sure if you've just ruined it and wasted your herb, but it is actually really simple and in the end when you've got this magical stick of butter that's as strong as oil that you can just melt into whatever you fancy it'll all seem well worthwhile in the end! :)

All the best,

Aj.
  • Baron23
    HI AJ - I'm thinking the same myself....maybe take a bit of a leap of faith to dump it into the crock pot but I suspect that I would really like butter and have good use for it.

There have been times when I have had to ingest cannabis products orally, sometimes in a bit of a hurry and most often in a raw form! HAHAHA!! I did find the effects to be very sedative and long lasting. My main aim is pain relief coupled with sedation so I can get a night's rest. Edibles sound like it has a place in there somewhere.

Question: I like some articles from this fellow Old Hippie on edibles. Somewhere in my reading, perhaps one of his articles, there was a discussion that it was advantageous to eat a small bit of fatty food (e.g. 1/2 an avocado, piece of cheese, small baked good?) about 45 minutes or so before ingesting your edible. Something about your stomach/liver processing this first fat and then taking a break so when you eat the cannabinoid laden fats in your butter they can enter your intestines intact (I think the science types call it avoiding "first pass metabolism").

Ever hear of any corroborating stories on this?
  • Aj85
    sorry mate, I've been offline a day or two lol

I have heard of this theory and others over the yrs like that fresh OJ helps speed up digestion meaning quicker effects but to be perfectly honest, I'm a really really bad Guinea pig as I've normally been medicating (I'm on a lot of pain and other types of meds) and vaping aswell!

Obviously too really put these theory's to the test you'd have to be a bit scientific about it and solely use an exact amount of edibles over several days with and without the fats or OJ which is something I've never been able to do!

Although it's fair to say I definitely feel more medicated, and for longer when I use edibles on top of my normal regime!

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Take it easy mate,

All the best,

Aj.
  • Ander
    It seems that I'm very lazy... and that I'm more a cook than a chemist. So I've made a really simple experiment, starting from a simple thought: what is AVB?
    AVB is my herb cooked at 200°C for 5 minutes, and it's simply a spice, a toasted spice (well... a psychoactive one). Yours doesn't smell good? Because mine smells pretty good. So my thought was: why I couldn't use it like a spice?

Allen Ginsberg's beans (revisited):
    - 2-3 tea spoons of AVB for person (doses are indicatives, and depend on the many factors already mentioned: quality, previous vaping temp etc...)
    - Tomato sauce
    - Onion
    - Extra virgin olive oil
    - Oregano
    - Your favourite beans

Cut the onion, and put it in a frying pan with oil. Let the onion takes color and then put the tomato sauce. When you feel the tomato is ready, put the (already boiled) beans. Then put a little more olive oil, the AVB and the oregano. Cook for 5-10 minutes on low temp. We served it with Thai Rice. Delicious.

Effects:
    A slowly increasing euphoria that lasted for 2-3 hours, then a more psychedelic and somewhat relaxing effect. The whole trip lasted maybe 6-8 hours. My girlfriend, not used to MJ (she only use it vaped for her migraines) at the fourth hour she said: "Oh God... any way to stop it?!" I said: "Sorry honey, no... nothing except sleep. Here... take some chocolate and let's go out in the woods!
  • Sue
    I flush it. It really has no appeal to me.
  • Ander
    You're a really bad girl..!
  • Sue
    8-)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention