• Other Side
    This is my new home. Spent many years on FC and have a big collection with a ton of experience but I'm not allowed to post on vape related threads there anymore. :fear:

I was already spending a lot of time here as well so this was my first choice to set down some roots. I like the vibe of this place and feel Bud and company have found a groove on how to keep it lightly moderated enough, respectful and reasonable about some other details that impacted my decision to say goodbye to FC all together. Don't get me wrong, I still consider FC the current best overall choice for detailed information on vaporizers but man it has changed in so many other not so good ways that I honestly wonder about it's survival.

I guess I was spending a lot more time on FC at the time and missed the drama that prompted my friend Duff to open this thread but I feel it's headed in a good direction now. Hopefully membership continues to grow and we gain more caring and knowledgeable members that made FC such a great community.

I have met some of my closest friends on these boards. Many of them I have met face to face. Some not but I still regularly text/call and have shared things about our lives/families with these people. So to me this is about community as much as it is vaporizers.

And Magicman I'm just gonna come out and say this. Thanks for the revival of this thread because it is interesting to look back on how things have changed. In all honesty you completely confuse me in a lot of your posts with your cryptic language and innuendos (like the one that revived this again) but I am beginning to understand you better and appreciate a lot of your humor.

I have figured out that we live close so I'm gonna ask Bud if it's ok for me to let you try my g43 beta for a little so we can all hear your thoughts. Now if you break it it try to keep it I will hunt you down! Lol This has gone into my daily rotation for weeks now so I cannot be without it for long!

This way Bud gets additional feedback but even more importantly, we can shut down your whiny side and get you back to making fun of Bud's hairy forearms!!!! Lol.

I'll talk to Bud and set something up with you in a PM if it's ok. :victory:
  • duff
    To @VapeCritic's and the moderators credit, they have made big strides in straightening out the forum. It is maturing nicely.
    This thread is almost a year old.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    @duff year old, day old its been imortalized by the internet. Does this mean that youve matured nicley as well? Or would you still feel like you had a place to speak like that? Thecriticcritic you can find him at https://forum.saltlife.com/

Im sure constructive criticism would have been welcome. Looking back a year do you think you came off like a dick or like you were giving constructive criticism?
  • duff
    My thoughts were pertinent then and I tried to choose my words carefully. Frankly I never want to come across as a dick.

I still think what I wrote was constructive and not bashing or being a dick. Many folks agreed at the time. Things have improved, and once again I give Bud and the moderators all of the credit.

Bud and I have had many conversations and I think we've always been cool with each other despite any disagreements.
  • Señor Negro
    I have to say I was reading this thread and I had to reach the last page to realize it was a year old... That says everything :chin:
  • UbarDog
    I think some points made 1 year ago are still relevent.

Sometimes a person can come in and completly derail a thread . Somtime's by mistake -sometimes just outta pure troll.

I think that some things should be kept seperate . Information and Entertainment. BUT both can be combined

I also feel that some people use flowers just for the high - (This is fine i have no problem with this), but these people oftern forget that people use and rely on flower for daily use pain managment and alments.

I am still new to this forum so my xp is low. Still im lvling up thou.!
  • standingsideways
    While we all come here because we vape I really like that we have the freedom to discuss anything from psychology to skating. Personally I massively prefer the idea of a social forum for people who vape rather than a strict vape infomation only forum. Vapeing is what connects us all but its great to discuss the other passions we share and find out what else this group of friendly, open, like minded people have in common. Sure there is the occasional a hole being a dick but fixing that is like trying to fix human nature, it can't really be done.
  • EconMan
    Now wasn't this an interesting "old" thread.
    Reminds me of Babylon 5 -- the Vorlons vs the Shadows. The former believed in order and conservative stability, and the latter went through the universe "creatively destroying" embracing "chaos" as an innovative environment for future growth.

I will confess, I'm more of a Shadow than a Vorlon. Order results in control. Chaos results in opportunity.

Likewise with "community boards". My personality doesn't want Singapore. I prefer Jakarta.

Here, I certainly get to receive and deliver "shared knowledge". Sometimes I'm teaching and sometimes I am a pupil -- the very nature of a "community" but always I am a "citizen". Sometime ppl use their freedom stupidly, and there is a price to be paid..... the real question with respect to "optimal group control" is should said control be mostly centralized or decentralized, and whatever centralized authority is in place, should it be heavy-handed (like in academic usenet) or permissive? My sense-of-life tends to air on the side of permissive, which although new, perhaps this is why FC is a little sterile to me... but I've mostly lurked (I do that when I join a forum at first).

Regarding what the Aristotelian "purpose" of this forum is...? To its owners I would presume it's purpose is to further their brand of of being Vape information aggregators, market influencers, and industry disruptors. To me, it is a place to give and take information but MOSTLY I have fun here with a group of human life forms whose common denominator is we like to vape flower and related derivatives. So the purpose of the forum is to be a community and it has been very successful at that.

Just last night, a brand new friend came over, and brought his gadgets and flower, combined it with mine, and we had a truly fun evening.... spiritually philosophical even with little delightful sprinkles of complete silliness :)

So this board serves a great purpose for me. Generally speaking, it is a fun and happy place where "mainstreet" is not so full of ordinances that the fun is distilled out. And it has even become an emotional support platform.... many members have become "dear" to me and some have become actual real friends in my regular life. So I am grateful I get to be here and would be sad if I was banned or anything. Sounds like a good purpose to me.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    @duff thats good i am glad. But the tittle is rather condescending. Making one put their back up right away and shut the door. Not exactly a good way to be constructive. I am also not saying that the forum is perfect. Anyway i didnt come here for the drama i just wanted to put my two cents in.
  • Dr green thumb
    I like that this forum encourages you to speak unlike FC which does not. Fc is more like listen to a select few and hope something comes along that you don't know. No offense but that is a dated format and encourages some of the best minds to go elsewhere. Just because one is new to a forum does not mean they are new to what's going on.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    Not to keep going on and on but i literally just got directed to a thread on fc and I cant see any pictures on there. Not compatiable with my phone even.
  • LabPong
    For those trying to understand why Duff posted this originally.....you have no idea what motivated him unless you were here and witnessed it as it went on. I never bothered to post because I felt Duff hit the nail on the thread so to speak. It was the opposite of FC for awhile....like a bad reddit forum...lol

So please do not get your undies in a bunch.....everything is pretty cool now so dont get stressed on the grave digging here.....its no big deal and things finally changed for the better as the forum grew up. Bud and Hazel got it under control.....no worries.

And now you know.........the rest of the story!
  • EconMan

It is true I certainly at least had only a little idea of what went on, since I was not here, and only read after-the-fact.

But this really is a cross-section of life. Be it a country, a school, a body, a discussion community..... how much freedom is "optimal"? After some point, the more you seek to abate the "bads", the more the "good" baby gets thrown out with the bathwater.

It is the EXACT same reasoning I won't buy a home with a homeowners association. I'm not going to tolerate some control-freak asshole walking on my yard sticking a ruler in the ground measuring whether the length and even type of my grass is "compliant" with rules in the name of community property values. :vomit:
  • Magicman
    DERRICK MCMILLON lives in a compound with his 17 wives.
  • analytika
    When you ally with the Shadows, you are never alone. Aye, Mr. Morden?
  • Baron23
    IMO, this is really not a "social" forum although there is a good bit of that.

This is a forum about vapes and in particular cannabis vapes and related topics. Vape Life Forum...yeah?

The board does indeed allow other threads and is in fact why we had to create the Everything Else subforum and the Off Topic and Random Chatter Thread....to try to localize the pretty much off topic discussions so folks can find tjhe vape info without just clamping down on people's friendly banter....which we don't want to do.

I'm not going to revisit either the events of MORE than a year ago with the launch of the MV1 or Duff's OG post as this is very much just water under the bridge as far as the board management is concerned.

Have a great day
  • VapeCritic
    Me and @duff are :heart: and even when people come at me I usually respect their directness after the initial sting wears off.

All of his points as well as the rest of your feedback are taken to heart and are sincerely appreciated.

I am in agreement that the forum needs work and I’m constantly revisiting what I can do to make it cooler and better and easier to find info.

I absolutely LOVE the community aspect here, especially combined with the live streams when I get to interact with all of you, it’s amazingly cool.

FREEDOM is a big part of what I’m about, so there has always been looser rule enforcement here than other forums.

People deserve a long leash to be themselves and say what they want, even if they’re new, but this long leash also means that you can hang yourself with it. These are the people who end up getting the boot :sweat:

With this level of freedom comes a bit of chaos, and I’m doing everything in my power to have it at least be organized chaos. It’s not quite there yet, but it will keep being improved I promise.

@Other Side @EconMan Thanks for your comments guys, it means a lot! :strong:
  • EconMan
    When you ally with the Shadows, you are never alone. Aye, Mr. Morden?analytika

What do you want? :nerd:
  • ssaucyc515
    Can't get rid of me :) I am your Asian demographic :) @VapeCritic
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    Loving the forum. Its great for both entertainment and information. When I came here I had already found FC and IMO for me it was just a bit of overload. Way to much info to process, who has time to read a 1,000 page thread (not me) and not nearly as welcoming. So this os where I've landed, and couldn't be happier. Thanks @VapeCritic keep up the good work. :strong: :100:
  • SuaveHolmes
    Coming from using reddit, this place seems a lot better and less elitist.
  • acstorfer
    Me and duff are :heart: and even when people come at me I usually respect their directness after the initial sting wears off.

All of his points as well as the rest of your feedback are taken to heart and are sincerely appreciated.

I am in agreement that the forum needs work and I’m constantly revisiting what I can do to make it cooler and better and easier to find info.

I absolutely LOVE the community aspect here, especially combined with the live streams when I get to interact with all of you, it’s amazingly cool.

FREEDOM is a big part of what I’m about, so there has always been looser rule enforcement here than other forums.

People deserve a long leash to be themselves and say what they want, even if they’re new, but this long leash also means that you can hang yourself with it. These are the people who end up getting the boot :sweat:

With this level of freedom comes a bit of chaos, and I’m doing everything in my power to have it at least be organized chaos. It’s not quite there yet, but it will keep being improved I promise.

@Other Side @EconMan Thanks for your comments guys, it means a lot!
    VapeCritic

Definitely the Great Machine of Epsilon 3.
  • Magicman
    Me just love dope.
  • EconMan

But why do you think they call it dope? :rofl:
  • Microvaper
    I like the fact that this forums content can be tangential and often the most entertaining content is when someone a bit crazy and confrontational stirs things up. I've never understood forums that have a thousand and one strict rules that must be followed to the book. I've been on forums before and left after one post following a hormonal knee jerk response from someone stating that I haven't read through the 79 pages of rules before posting. Haven't got time for that crap. I just like talking about what I'm interested in and this forum from my experience has the friendliest most knowledgeable and least assholeish members.
  • Pakalolo2
    Arguably the best Vape forum online!
  • analytika
    Who are you?

Ya know, i found the Shadows more than a little controlling.

"Will you come with us?" That's a question a little beyond the rim.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    @duff I am sorry about that. I was being an idot and didnt really think about my post before i posted it. I was not meaning to come off as a condescending dick myself :yikes: I just really appreciate the things this forum has done for me. I got a little excited...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment