• VapeCritic
    The only thing I've decided for sure is that I want to build one, and I want it to be for dry herb, but all other details remain to be filled in.

I'm starting from scratch, and with you guys behind me I think we can make it happen.

No idea how long this will take, probably forever, but the wheels are in motion.

Cheap? expensive? portable? desktop? All still up in the air.

(pointless line removed)

I've had an interesting idea for a while about how it should function, a way that's never been done before, but the idea could probably be swiped by another company and brought to market before I can, so I might keep some parts of it a secret for now.

Maybe we can start off this thread with feature requests or things you'd like to see?
  • cottoalvapore
    i want to build my own vape too. i think about a desktop one with a large chamber and whip style (possibly more than one), i imagine a narghiè type of desktop vape, a very social thing to share with friends and chill at home, sit at the table
  • Baron23
    it's gonna be gangsta (cool) 8-)VapeCritic

I would settle for extremely competent and easy to use. Gansta cool is very optional to me and please keep in mind that the fastest growing segment of MJ community is older MMJ patients. They have the money and they have the need. Gansta cool does not impress them.

Please, whatever you do....no fiddly little bits, please. I would hope it would be as easy and technique-free as an S&B product.

Looking forward to how this develops.
  • Gizmo
    Easy to fill, easy to clean and easy to use. I'm sure whatever you come up with will be amazing. I'm asking now to be a beta tester!
  • Vikintosh
    I said the same thing to myself yesterday while frustrated with my vapes. Please combine the vapor production of the Plenty with the taste and heat process of the Firefly 2.
  • elykpeace
    I'm starting to think the vape world has maxed out to its full potential. Looks of Vapes are changing but the whole insert material, heat up and inhale seem to be the best we can get.

I want to see something that you throw the herb in and it subliminates the whole thing in one hit... Portable of course which means your going to have to carry a car battery to get it to last you the entire day. I also want to see a vape that doesn't condensate goodness on the walls/mp ensuring that 100% of the material is vaporized... I don't want to reclaim. I want to vape it once.
  • Baron23
    I'm starting to think the vape world has maxed out to its full potential. Looks of Vapes are changing but the whole insert material, heat up and inhale seem to be the best we can get.

I want to see something that you throw the herb in and it sublimates the whole thing in one hit... Portable of course which means your going to have to carry a car battery to get it to last you the entire day. I also want to see a vape that doesn't condensate goodness on the walls/mp ensuring that 100% of the material is vaporized... I don't want to reclaim. I want to vape it once.
    elykpeace

hehehe...and let's undo physics while we are at it.....I'm just having some good natured fun with you, my friend. After all, a wish list should be full of wishes, right?
  • EasyToSlip
    Convection but no need to stir.
    A vape that can be on-demand or session. Different modes to support both styles of vaping.
  • VapeCritic
    Sorry I knew I needed to clarify this LOL, my definition of gangsta is THE BEST 8-)

no fiddly little bitsBaron23

Agreed
  • VapeCritic
    thanks guys what are thoughts on portable vs desktop?

do you think enough people are still down with plugging in a vape at home?
  • VapeCritic
    Portables out-sell desktops by a wide margin but i love me a good desktop
  • VapeCritic
    However, I don't want glass on the outside of the vape, and I don't want to make something that you have to use a glass rig with
  • VapeCritic
    Any engineers on this board? 8-)
  • SirCrackKillaH
    Something as small as a davinci, has an on demand mode along with a handsfree party mode. Can take flower and concentrates. Obliterates the bud like a mighty or Crafty requiring no stir. Smart path mode. User replaceable batteries. Easy to operate, clean, load all one handed. Dosing capsules optional.
  • SirCrackKillaH
    User replaceable batteries could be proprietary with a smart discharge type chip. So long as they can be removed from the unit, it would eliminate that from needing to send the whole unit in if battery related performance issues pop up.
  • SirCrackKillaH
    Gimme a Mighty MV1 IQ
  • Baron23
    I know, my friend...I know. Just please resist the "life style of the young and beautiful" type marketing approach that we see often these days.

If a portable, then I suggest these features:

1. Hybrid - hybrid convection/conduction just works really well, IMO.
    2. User replaceable batteries
    3. Self-contained controls and menus...if an app, then this should be additional and all functions should be on the device
    4. Fast heat up time....this is the Mighty's main weakness, IMO
    5. No fiddly little parts or two piece like the Air with its unit and stem seperate.
    6. Easy to clean
    7. Of course anything that touches the vapor needs to be the right material....love glass but there is only so far you can go with it.
    8. Heater access....many vapes, you can't get into the heating chamber to clean. Some, like Mighty and many others, have the heater outboard of the airpath which works also. But if its going to be below the load, then it needs to be cleanable.
    9. Solid reliability...favor KISS and reliable over bells and whistles
    10. Variable load size - we will all never agree on a proper oven size...so, should be able to somehow accommodate .25 - .3 g and down to .1 - .15
    11. Accurate temp with resolution to one degree. High temp up to 427 or higher.
    12. Designed to accommodate use by physically disabled MMJ patients with hand strength or dexterity issues

I'm sure other stuff will occur to me.

Ah...I love a desktop...but many seem to like portables. To me, desktop offers the real estate and power to really do a proper job and certainly, in portables, the form factor most certainly drives design compromises.
  • Herb
    I am interested :)
  • Lucic and Chong
    I think portable is the way to go. You can use a good portable at home, but you can't use a good desktop on the go. Much more versatile.

My requests would be pass through charging , user replaceable batteries, and of course ease of use and cleaning.
  • Smokin60
    Having used all of the tier one vapes , burning herb for 42 yrs until my first PAX 5 years ago and going through many frustrating days to get the most out of each one including the " Ghost " Bud my thoughts are based on my own experiences ! IMO take the Ghost ,refine shape and size , crucible with sliding attached lid and still maintain the ability to produce the way it does .....result stealth , less finicky , learning curve and the power of the " Big Boys " and ya don't need an app. IMO unless you can download upgrades firmware by other means BTW I only have one arm and 72
  • welshman
    My wish list which is more just dream vape :
    - hybrid convection/conduction probably heavier on the convection
    - definitely user replaceable batteries, unless there’s any reason 18650s don’t make sense for vapes?
    - needs a temp sensor somehow incorporated into where the material is so it’s definitely the temp it’s reading
    - maybe some form of heatsink design that allows reclaim easier? No idea how that would function. Not sure how but click Into place so it feels solid so no movable gaskets
    -preferably glass/ceramic/SiC vapour path (actually no idea if SiC would be any good for vapour path but it seems preferred for nails over ceramic or glass)
    - maybe if it could convection mainly for on demand (with maybe a much lighter conduction well under vape temp to help it be more consistent again this might not work) and then full convection + conduction for session mode
    - some form of removable bowl / modular design, maybe not for every use but so you could change it for different sizes or load preffilled capsuleesque things or take out for proper cleaning
    - personally I don’t mind it being mighty sized and heavy but that’s unlikely to be a popular opinion especially as it should stay accessible to everyone
    - for concentrates, change out the chamber as per above and have like a evo nail combo source nail type instead of ss mesh, which is fine, but i think having some form of bucket may be more efficient
    - temp reading on device, + and - on the device and I guess some form of fire button for on demand
    - isolated intake path cos why not it’s dream vape
    - needs to feel solid and be droppable somehow
    - I don’t know how it would do all these things and still look discreet but that also
    - somehow it also needs to be easy to clean

I’m sure there’s more I’d think of later haha, I don’t ask for much lol
  • Jack-vic
    Would like to see a solid desktop unit with a halogen or ceramic heating element that is easy to replace.
    Make it analog so less things can go wrong.
    I dont mind a control dial like the Volcano as long as its not like the Grasshopper.

Regards
  • BouncingOffClouds
    Desktop that you can detach from the base to use as a portable? 8-)
  • SirCrackKillaH
    You guys all left off smell lol I forgot about it too
    Make the thing not smelly :D sucks having a smelly brick in your pocket to put you on blast man

Magnet lid pushing into a bowl would probably allow for bowl of any size.. magnet in a pensimple probably would've fixed the feed on that too. I had a diagram awhile back of a concept vape that had magnets.
  • Kenhof
    Smooth adjustable air flow control.
  • MAbud
    @VapeCritic desktop vapes are a super limited group moving forward. As legalization continues to spread you are going to hordes of people looking for ease and convenience. Look at where electronics have gone over the last few years...desktop vapes are the blu-ray or home phone of vaporizers :)
  • Philly
    I am a big fan of the portable desktop. Always wanted something shaped like a sherlock. Think the longer neck will cool the vape.

Is their open source firmware you can use?
  • elykpeace
    What about a reclaimer incoperated into the vape. So the warmth causes the condensed goodies to seep on down into the heating element which in return gets Vaped into the what I'm patenting called the vaporization cycle 8-)
  • Philly
    There is open-source firmware: https://github.com/FogDrive/FogDrive

Edit: still in very early stages. Only has code for on and off.
  • Philly
    I am a total newbie but I love making projects with single board computers. My soldering skills have come a long way but still need lots of work. There are some threads on Reddit about this. The materials are pretty cheap. I think I may try putting one together as well.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment