• Gman
    Great stuff!! I feel a little spoiled. I've been getting primo for about 20 years up here in canada. I've yet to see pictures like some of the stuff I've seen in the past.
  • Baron23
    Hi Philly - that's VERY pretty. What brand should I look for that under? I haven't seen this offered yet but you did say it was to drop soon.

And yes, if you want really good trichome pics, I think you need whole, untrimmed (or very carefully trimmed) bud that hasn't been dried much yet. I think that's how they get those kind of shots because once trimmed, dried, and cured, a lot of the trichs on the very outer surface will have the heads knocked off.

Next time I take pics of bud, I think I will open an bud and see what I get look at the interior.

As I have said, you end up in MD, drop me a note. Love to hook up.

Cheers
  • deep_meditation
    Are you all able to get Harlequin Blue Afghani at the MD dispensaries? At 21% THC it’s not the strongest but it’s solid. Also roughly 11% CBD. We had it here (dc) in flowers and hash. I find that it provides pain relief and a good amount of relaxation without couch lock or racing thoughts. It’s a new fave for me.
  • Baron23
    Harlequin Blue Afghani at the MD dispensaries?myco2

No, se have other 1:1 strains...shark shock CBD for one and a few others emerging recently.

CBD doesn't do that much for me, tbh. A little, but not what I had hoped.

Just popped int the District today to a DC med dispensary for the first time. Went to Tokoma Wellness and it was a very cool experience. Went to get some traditional form hash (which is also WAY too expensive) and picked up a flight of grams of stuff I wanted to try like Larry OG.

Cheers
  • deep_meditation
    I go to Takoma. The hash is expensive for the little pea sized bit you get. I tried a very small amount in a Vapcap and it did the trick though. I’ve tried multiple cartridges, wax, rosin, and edibles too all with varying success. Service there is great and the staff is helpful.

The only cartridge I didn’t like was Critical Sensi Star. I tried it three times to be sure and it made me nauseous every time. I’ve been through several rounds of high dose chemotherapy and I’d rank the feeling up there with that and I’m not exaggerating. I haven’t taken the cartridge back but the feeling was absolutely terrible. Hasn’t happened with any other purchase.
  • Baron23
    Wow, I never heard of someone getting that sick from a tested med cart.

Whatever was in it, just didn't suit you.

Yes, I like Takoma, I like the Kahns (and their son who runs Liberty in Rockville) and think they are a very ethical and clean operation.

Maybe we will meet there one day and have lunch at the pupusaria! haha

And yes, the hash is very overpriced...just that I hadn't had any trad like hash is 35 years or so. LOL
  • deep_meditation

It might be fun to cross paths there. There's also Horace and Dickies for lunch (just kidding). I didn't realize they had an outlet there but I don't think I can handle fried whiting. I don't mind english style fried fish but the dredged whiting/lake trout isn't for me.

The dispensary is in a good location. I'm glad it's not up on Georgia Ave.... 1/4 mile away and it's a whole different neighborhood.
  • katdaddy
    Anyone here in Delaware? Wondering what it’s like a state up.
  • Baron23
    Well, been working on my macro photog skills. First, I took the dang case off of the phone as it was messing up the optics of the external macro lens and I did buy another macro lens set...still cheapy's but better than the last one.

Hope you find this somewhat enjoyable. This is GSC from GLeaf in MD.

1kalphzhe3go1dt4.jpeg
    fmrlmw0p7z4qen6w.jpg
    7k632me7mv0r9wov.jpg
  • Skyvaper
    And what strain do we have here @Baron23 ? Looks very nice!!!
  • Baron23
    Oh shoot...sorry, this is Girl Scout Cookies from GLeaf in MD.
  • Skyvaper
    One of my favorites!! It's in my VERY humble top three along with blue dream and zkittles. Keep em comin!!
  • deep_meditation
    I seem to miss Girl Scout Cookies when it’s available. I guess I need to watch leafly closely.
  • juxt

Great job getting these!
  • Baron23
    Thanks, mate :up: :blush:
  • Baron23
    One thing I notice is that in really most of the pics I have taken, the trichomes on the surface have a lot of the heads knocked off and they end up looking like sessile trichomes.

In most of the "pro" pics you see of MJ (think High Times Cannabis Cup Winner pics, yeah), the trichomes are all stalked (stem with bulbous head, come up with your own metaphors! haha) rather like this really almost microscopic pic.

Trichomes_1.jpg

The difference, I think, is that in those pro pics the buds are VERY carefully hand trimmed and not handled at all. The MJ I get in our dispensaries are indeed trimmed...much of it by hand but its still a production job....then packaged and handled in many ways so it always looks to me like the heads are busted off.

Next time I take some pics, I'm going to open a big bud up and see if I can get some view of the trichs on the inside that perhaps have not been as mangled.

Now, I do like the milky color of the trichs on this GSC. That's another thing I'm looking for...how well are the various growers doing on letting the bud mature sufficiently. There as a lot of pressure to open the program last Dec and I believe that the initial crops grown were pushed hard and harvested just a bit early but its all getting better and the prices are coming down. Herbology in Gaithersburg is offering a 4 Jul sale of $225/oz on Grassroots brand flower which I have found to be pretty good product.

Now, I did...in a fit of insanity...buy a USB microscope and I just need a bit of time and motivation to see what I can come up with from that....doubt that I will get a shot like above...but maybe.

Cheers
  • Philly
    I bet it is by hand just very sloppy work. You can tell when someone is using an electric trimmer, looks way worse. Here is a pick of Willie's tour bus from my boy in Maryland

s8qip4yerfyjuipq.jpg
  • Baron23
    I bet it is by hand just very sloppy work.Philly

Oh, I know with Gleaf and Grassroots its hand trimmed. I don't know enough to look at the GSC pics above and say it was sloppy but I do know its way better than machine tumbler trimmers. Now, what I had seen of that was truly awful.

Wow...WOW. That's some plant. So, he has SROG (or whatever its properly called) but this one plant is just what.....way bigger than the rest? I know nothing about growing except some light reading I have done about it.

Willie's tour bus...your buddy works for Grassroots maybe? I think we went over this once but I can't remember shit. Willie's is only shown to be grown in MD by Grassroots and it seems to not be in stock at the present....but wow, looks like it may be again soon! haha
  • juxt

the ones with the full trichome heads are fresh cut before curing, they dessicate a bit when drying. But also the new industrialization of this product means they trim over screens and beat the buds to get the exterior trichomes off for making concentrates. there will be some left, but a lot of the ones on the outside are bounced off. If you break it open and peer inside you should see a lot more still there, maybe look a little dried out but there.
  • Baron23
    Yeah...I think that's what I said, no?

• juxt

Yeah bro, mine was more specifically a bitch about them taking my trichomes off though ;)
  • Baron23
    Yeah, like to spank their little heinies for screwing up good product. The very first bud available in the state was so badly trimmed...well, look at it for yourself. A true abortion of a trim job. They either learned how to use their automated trim machine or switched to hand trimming because Curio flower looks light years better now....but this is what they first put out (ugh)

0cwl4uobb3c6t1h3.jpeg
    a4xo9ohztr3affzw.jpeg
  • Philly
    yup that's him. Gabe is the grow manager at grassroots and I think he still manages at sacred seed in Denver as well. Not sure why they have a few huge ones but if I had to guess..... They were slightly older plants in the nursery that they had room for that they needed to move. If it was a smaller grow the larger plants would be grouped so you can optimize light distance. Big grows use netting and fixed lights that makes moving not an option.
  • Baron23
    Way cool, Philly. Don't know if I mentioned it, but Grassroots also owns a dispensary license in MD and their store is Herbology which is managed by a friend of mine. Not the biggest or fanciest (but it is perfectly acceptable) but just about my favorite store.

Looking at those pics, I'll be on the look out out for Willies Tour Bus coming sometime soon! haha
  • Baron23
    So, it was 710 and I went to my fav dispensary which is managed by an old friend of mine to meet some industry reps that were there to answer questions.

One fella that I spoke to was Matt of Grassroots. Matt is the manager of their extraction lab and we had quite an interesting conversation but he did confirm for me that you buddy, Gabe (right?) is the head grower of their outfit up in Carrol county. Matt gave me the contact info for his boss and said that he can get me a tour of the facility which I will definitely do. I told him about seeing the pic of Willie's Tour Bus and he got excited and said "yeah, they are coming up nicely". Nice guy.

All - going back to something that we discussed (here or another thread) which is retaining terps during CO2 extraction. Rythm, who were there and who make CO2 carts, said that they definitely capture terps from the MJ strain itself and then reintroduce them but without a lot of detail (they were customer outreach folks, not lab folks) Matt said that there are a number of ways to keep the terps in while doing CO2. One method he indicated is doing sub-critical CO2 to pull the terps and then supercritical CO2 to pull the cannabinoids, then they are mixed back together. He also indicated that for either CO2 or his hydrocarbon extraction, that they will run fan leaves, trim, etc just to get the terps and then dispose of the source material. Those terps are then added back into cannabinoids that were separately extracted from other bud. He also did say that fractional distillation, depending on how sophisticated a rig you have, can indeed separate out terps for later reintro...but he did say it was just easier to do a terp run.

Whenever their is a chance to meet the people who are actually doing this stuff, I take it. There is no substitute for getting it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
  • Philly
    that is awesome! Such a small world. Take lots of pics on the tour. Love to see more. From the pics I saw they have a top notch system, love that everyone needs to wear scrubs and get blasted with santized air to go in. Super important, know lots of folks that have terrible bug problems due to being lazy and not scrubbing themselves prior to getting to work. Tell Gabe I say hi.
  • arcticsaguaro
    Thanks for posting all this the last few months. I've been lurking while waiting on my license to come through. Finally got everything squared away. Never thought the state would finally fix all these broken laws!

I didn't realize we can shop in DC's dispnsaries?
  • deep_meditation

Yep, you just go in and they'll put you in the system for DC. When I was at my dispensary they were signing up folks in a room off to the side. Plenty of MD plates in the small parking lot. You can even sign up for the loyalty program. I turned off the text alerts - I don't need texts announcing sales on various strains popping up on my phone, lol.
  • arcticsaguaro
    That's awesome. I saw talking about pricing slooowly coming down. How do you notice it compares? The fact they do sales is a nice start, since I don't notice a lot of even just bulk discount in MD. Also the waxes in MD are NUTS expensive ):
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment