• Alexis
    sounds cool maybe wait until the end of July because they said the quartz heaters could be here this month. Sorry it may be worth waiting seeing as it could be very imminent now.
  • mustypipes
    @LapPong Thanks for the recommendation, went ahead and ordered the rdk300 and the 15.8mm coil they had. When slightly stretching your coil what was your method? Also anybody know of a diy or product out there that will hold the coil as well as heater upon changing the bowl/heater in case of a multi bowl sesh. So far i have seen somebody mention they cut out a piece of leather to grip the heater upon removal.

Mod mixed tag
  • Mtbowls
    I can wait, the dhgate took 5 weeks last time,
  • mustypipes
    @LaPong quick question for you sir I ordered the rdk 300 kit that you suggested the coil 15.8 mm though obviously needs to be a stretched a little bit to fit the elevat8r I'm kinda having a tough time stretching it and I just don't want to break it any suggestions on what you use to stretch your coil?
  • juxt
    I think you were trying to get @LabPong...but,

I'll answer a couple of questions: What do we use to grip the heater? I use lab tongs. You can get the reversible kind that grip until you squeeze them, which work really well. I haven't seen anything that grips the coil + heater .. leather on a 710F coil is not a good idea. Using a soldering iron stand works ok for holding coils, btw.

I just used a screwdriver to modify my coil. If you slowly work a flat head screwdriver in between the coils and then when you have it in there slowly twist the handle it will start to slightly move the coils, and as it starts to stretch the slight bend will stick. When I unwound my coil a bit I found that I didn't need to stretch it more, because the Elev8r will kind of screw into it when it's unwound if that makes sense.
  • Mtbowls
    I lied , I couldn't wait. Received one today, been using a torch, going to have to improve my torch and technique, but I will be getting the coil next. F
  • LabPong
    Mtbowls
    sounds cool maybe wait until the end of July because they said the quartz heaters could be here this month. Sorry it may be worth waiting seeing as it could be very imminent now.
    Alexis

I was in contact with 7th Floor the other day...we are 2-4 weeks out on the quartz heaters......come on 2 weeks!

LaPong quick question for you sir I ordered the rdk 300 kit that you suggested the coil 15.8 mm though obviously needs to be a stretched a little bit to fit the elevat8r I'm kinda having a tough time stretching it and I just don't want to break it any suggestions on what you use to stretch your coil?mustypipes

juxt did the same thing as me to stretch the coil a bit. I got it to fit very close by using a big wide straight screw driver and a cloth around it to not scratch the metal coil. I separated the coil wraps evenly all the way around....about 3 to no more than 4mm apart. The pic below shows my stretch job at first...it is 4mm+ so I tightened it back up 1mm and made sure it was as even of gap all the way around it.

heaterCoil_zpshoy9le4e.jpg

I got the coil to almost fit without spiral action to get it down and then off again. I only had to "unwind" the coil section just slightly...in fact you may not have to do that. The glass heater pieces are not all exactly the same size in length and a slight difference in its diameter from top to bottom because of the indents. So just go slow and work you way through this...it is actually pretty easy as the coils will move with little pressure from the big flat tip of the screwdriver. Most important will be to have the same distance between the coils all the way from top to bottom.

For getting the hot heater on and off.....I started with the test tube tongs....but found it slow. I took some old suede material I had and made a mini oven hot pad with it. Now I can get the hot clip and heater off fast and then stir...then put back on....and ready to heat up again in about 10-15 seconds.

(the pic shows my first attempt at the finger protector) I suggest you make it bigger than that....so it wraps all the way around the heater and is slightly taller than what my pic shows...i slipped on time and got a feeling of heat...no scars though...heheheh

heaterPad2_zpsush4s1ck.jpeg

As for using the torch...I still do on occasions when I just need 1 or 2 quick fast heavy hits..and do not have time to have a drawn out session with the coil.

Best thing you can do with the torch to get it at the right temps.....develop a pattern of moving the torch around the heater. This will setup a timing pace for you. For instance...I use a water unit I can spin on the desk in front of me and just hold the torch stable with my other hand. I make a pattern of moving the torch tip up and down the heater as I turn the whole water unit...I keep the same speed of rotation and turn it around 3 times....and I am down with the initial 40 second heat up with my Big Buddy Turbo torch. On the next heatings...it might only be 10-25 seconds of heat applied pending on time between draws...you just have to experiment with this part. But if you get that initial heating down well....your good to go.

Good luck...and welcome to the best vape out right now....highest possible medication levels and best taste....and for me especially.....the best "not hurting my throat from massive hits" vape....lol
  • mustypipes
    @Juxt @LaPong thank you boys for your wizard Ness and awesomeness on this. Yes I have my heater stretched about 30% to 40% of the way onto the glass element now I'll just keep plugging at it I guess I did scratch the coil a little bit I wrapped the tip of my screwdriver with tape and noticed it broke through ever so slightly this shouldn't be an issue though should it? just as long as obviously my coils are not broken and they are evenly dispersed once separated.

Mod fixed tag
  • Cl4ud3
    With adjusting the coils a few scratches shouldn't matter (same thing happened to mine) don't stretch it too far though because the damage is often done inside the coil. If you think it's ok just test it out.
  • LabPong
    I guess I did scratch the coil a little bit I wrapped the tip of my screwdriver with tape and noticed it broke through ever so slightly this shouldn't be an issue though should it?mustypipes

You should be fine....I have a bunch of little scratches in one area....but just do not force too much and go slow. You do not need to spread them that far apart....the more you do the more you will loose keeping a tighter temp level.

Just set your Auber 300 to 690F and test from that point. Some go to 700FF....I run at 680F almost all the time for flower with the stock bowl or one that is just a bit smaller/shorter.
156789Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet