• BestBuds
    I got my coil in already! It definitely needs to be tightened down and it needed a good cleaning and burn off. But man what a nice little kit! It's super loose so I have it on 770°f. It's really VERY enjoyable. :heart:
    Well worth the money. :up:
  • nonamekevin
    awesome BestBuds, that's what's up! Mine is tighter then when I got it, but I still rock it to 815F to get the dark avb that I get from my SBrunt.

Enjoy!
  • LabPong
    LabPong I was gonna ask, do you use the coil with the Boro heater or the Quartz or both?nonamekevin

nonamekevin I believe that LabPong prefers the original quartz heaters over the boro ones.Terpenetime

I use the boro ones most of the time....on occasion I will torch with the quartz one. To me taste is slightly better/different when I use the boro one.

..just now I had my PID set to 800F to maintain a temp of 720 or so and that was as high as it would go...it never got to 740...it took a long time to warm up too...

...the ambient temp was 67F...earlier I had it set 740F and it was maintaining that ok and often shooting up to 760F breifly...
    Hapo

I am wondering if you are drawing to fast.....what rig are you using? If you use a small rig or the wand...or a j-hook....you can slow down the draw. Maybe see if you slow down the draw and use say 650F......then see what happens.
  • Hapo

...I use a simple 9.25" bong...

...I tend to vary the draw speed quite a bit for each hit...I still appreciate the advise because it is good...

...I don't know what I am doing wrong but now the ciol runs aboot 80-100 degrees below the PID setting...

...I have been running at a setting of 800F to get coil temps between 720 and 760...it is usually aboot 738-740 'ish but fluctuates...

...before it would hold that range when set @ 740F...all I did was turn it off and on...

...it was working fine but then one time I turned it on it just never got up to temp...

...currently I cannot achieve an actual coil temp much over 800F when the PID is set @ 999F...

...at first I thought it was ambient temperature related but the results were the same @ 67F and 77F...

...that's too hot anyway so I am not freeking out or anything...

...it seems when the coil temp is in the 740 range I get the results I was expecting...

...methinks some of this may be a matter of the level of excretion I am seeking...

...I pretty much want to toast the weed to a dark brown...

...one thing I do not understand is how draw speed would affect coil temps when you are waiting for it to heat soak...

12135-homer_simpson.gif
  • BestBuds
    No joke. Thank you so much for making me wise to this deal! This was the best $70 accessory I've ever purchased. I was even surprised by the case! I'm just sitting here sipping on a j-hook and my Elev8r with coil. I just put some G43 balls in it let's see where this goes! :cool:
  • nonamekevin
    @BestBuds hell yea homie, that's what's up! Glad you're enjoying the setup! I'm following in @LabPong footsteps with the use of a coil, and love it for consistent paranoia. :lol:

I filled my heater with G43 beads once, as many as would fit. This was when I used the torch. Overall, I didn't like the experience. With so many beads, the draw became very restrictive. The elev8r has great draw resistance, so adding the beads felt like I was suffocating it. I tried it, won't do it again.
  • LabPong
    ...one thing I do not understand is how draw speed would affect coil temps when you are waiting for it to heat soak...Hapo

The reason I brought up draw strength/speed....is about allowing what heat you have to actually extract the load well. Basically you can overpower the heater...or more so....you can pull the heat over the load so fast it does not have enough time to melt/extract the material. This goes for any vape.
  • Hapo

...slowing down the draw certainly helps...just like a Flowerpot...

...the only peeve I really have is needing to set the PID to 820 to maintain a nominal 740...

...at first it would maintain a nominal 740 when set at 740...I didn't change anything...

...well, that, and spending over $170 instead of $80...LoL...
  • LabPong
    Hapo.....for a test. What happens when you set the PID to 620F and put on the heater and rig and let heat soak for about 6-10 mins. It should maintain temps close to set temp.

Also, can you show a pic of your coil on the heater just as you use it.
  • Hapo

...it matches @ 620...

...I don't know how to send pictures...my phone just won't do it...

...I just dialed it up to 740, just to see what would happen next...

...it zipped right up to 680, where it stalled...it goes up and down a bit but acts like I set it for 680 instead of 740...

...I just set the PID @ 820 again and the coil temp shot right up to 749....and just stopped...

...it dropped down to 738 and then went up to 748...it's at 743 now...
  • LabPong
    Hapo I wonder if there is something limiting the ability to maintain higher temp settings with your pid.

I am not sure if you have read it at all...but here is the manual for the Auber300

I do not have much knowledge of the different settings as I only needed to change 1 or 2 things there. There might be someone else with more experience with the 300RDK.

Maybe you can also give them a call and see if they can run through a few things there with you.
  • Hapo

...thanks for posting that...been too busy testing to do much...I will run out of weed sooner or later...

...this set up is like using a Flowerpot again...
  • gratefulabe
    Regarding the question last week about damaging a 150watt coil by setting it for a 100 watt coil or vice versus, here’s the response from Auber:

For 150W coil, it is recommended to set oth = 66%. It means the maximum controller output to your coil is 66% of its max, and your 150W coil will work as 100W coil.

If you use oth = 100% for your 150W coil, it will speed up the heat up time, and may cause some overshoot/undershoot. If your set temperature is not too high, it will not damage your coil.
  • Hapo

...it has occurred to me to ask you what the coil temperature is when you have the PID set @ 815...
  • nonamekevin
    @Hapo with the controller set to 815, from a cold start, it will shoot to about 770ish, then slowly make its way to 815. I let it heat soak for a solid 6 minutes or so, but my coil reaches temp within 4 minutes. It stays consistent at 815 the entire time.

During my draws, Temps might drop to 805ish, then go back up to 818-819, then settle back at 815.
  • Hapo

...mine won't...oddly when set to 720 it runs at a nominal 720...

...the fluctuations are much greater on my unit...
  • Pud
    and your power supply is good? meaning you aren't using a little small gauge extension cord or anything like that, right? Didn't you just buy this PID/coil setup?
  • nonamekevin
    @Hapo my experience with controllers and coils is limited to this $70 dabbing warehouse setup I bought for the elev8r. I wish I had some more information for you.
  • Baron23
    That was not the issue....the issue, I believe, was the potential for damage from running a 100 Watt coil with OTH settings for a 150W coil.
  • gratefulabe
    @baron23, I just asked them that, will let you know what they say
  • Alexis
    haha, well the issue for me Was coming all too close to burning my house down in a state of late night semi consciousness with that dangerously loose and paperweight coil.

It would flip around very easily. And never had the most secure station and port.
    I have only used a torch with this device for a long time now. Now but I will be trying the Silver Surfer vaporizer very shortly when my 220 V replacement heater arrives.

I blew the original one early morning, eager to try the SSV. Mpy stepdown Converter which I had purchased in advance, only had two pins. And was useless. So I used the the similarly looking adaptor I have been using with the Woodscents.

Life, then POP! Death of SSV heater. New one on way. :smile:
  • Hapo

...power supply good....got it Thursday...

...performance is erratic...now it will not maintain 720 @ 720...
  • Pud
    What kind of power supply did you get? Can you post a link? I'm curious if it is limiting the output to your device and why it isn't getting all the power it wants to use to maintain temps. Thats a lot of juice to reach and maintain that kind of temp. My power supplies are very limited and slow just charging my phone compared to a wall socket let aline running this kind of device. Is anything else plugged in and running at the same time? Maybe jumping back and forth to meet demands
  • Pud
    or contact auber and send them your power supply info. It may be that their engineers will look at the demand curve to reach those temps with their device and coil by using your power supply information. Explain the erratic nature above 600 and they could help you figure out if its the power curve, your power supply, or their equipment causing your issue. There may be other settings to change in the auber that none if us are privy to to make it work under these conditions
  • gratefulabe
    baron23, here’s the answer from Auber:

Then it will take longer time to heat up. It will not damage your coil neither.
  • Hapo

...power supply...???...doesn't the power outlet supply power...???...

...you mean I need a separate power supply...???...

...you mean running the Auber on the same circuit as all my other stuff including a 1500 watt space heater, off a 100 foot 15 amp extension line, could affect performance…???...

...the heater just cycled off...I will see the Auber 300 is any more stable...

...more testing...LoL..

hqdefault.jpg
  • Pud
    @Hapo "you mean running the Auber on the same circuit as all my other stuff including a 1500 watt space heater, off a 100 foot 15 amp extension line, could affect performance…???..."

hoping you are joking!... yes thats exactly what I'm talking about... I misunderstood when you said power supply... but yes 100ft 15amp extension cord is like sucking a steak through a straw. Harbor freight has 10amp cords which will be much better than your current system. At least you'll have a chance
  • LabPong
    ...you mean running the Auber on the same circuit as all my other stuff including a 1500 watt space heater, off a 100 foot 15 amp extension line, could affect performance…???...Hapo

I would invest into a fire extinguisher as soon as possible ! :gasp:
  • Hapo

...excellent point old bean...

...staying warm can be dangerous...propane and kerosene both use actual fire and make toxic fumes that need to be vented...along with the heat...

...when things warm up the heater cycles off and we avoid combustion...

...when it is really cold things heat up some but the ambient temperatures again avoid combustion...

...the extension and pig tail splitter are pretty much welded together at this point...

...the clear plastic terminal is some what charred but there is no combustion and the little orange power indictor LED still works...that connnetion seems to be the only hot spot and it is right in front of me in plain sight...

...third winter in a tent on these "electronics" and gear...I am taking Walmart equipment, not expedition grade...

...the trick is the effective use of tarps...

...I don't think I need to call Auber to figger out what is going on...LoL…

...what power supply are you guys using...???...it never occurred to me to use one...

...LoL...methinks I was the one to misunderstand "power supply"...!!!...

HomerSimpson.gif
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet