• tacit0ne
    Holy crap. I am excited to get my Ghost MV1, but this morning I just got a text from DHL telling me they're holding my package at customs for an extra $70.

I already paid $20 for shipping, why!?!

Also, I had some customer service issues when ordering early last Friday. I wanted to cancel and redo my order to add a Crucible Dispenser, but nobody replied and now it looks like I need to be careful about ordering from Canada through Ghostvapes.

It would be nice if someone from the company could comment on why DHL shipping charges nearly totalled $100 CAD.
  • Cl4ud3
    It's normal international business. You order from another country you are usually charged by customs for import and handling fees. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone buying products whether vape related or not.
    DHL in this instance have paid for you and have sent you the bill.

I can tag @ghostvapesofficial here for you though so they can answer you about the other issue.
  • tacit0ne
    Thanks for the tag Cl4ud3,

It's been about 15 years since I've been charged international duties on a US->Canada shipment. It seems like it would be a wise decision for GhostVapes to add a disclaimer in the checkout process so nobody else needs to be surprised :)

The customer service fumble is unfortunate, as I really wanted the Crucible Dispenser. Now it looks like I may pay more for shipping than I would for the product itself :\
  • Cl4ud3
    Nearly every shipment I had to the UK last year got charged, it's 20% for us here and then they tag on extra fees for holding it. Sucks but absolutely nothing we can do :( I know some companies (especially Chinese like DHGate) fudge the value so you don't have to pay but if caught thats a lot of trouble.
    It's annoying when you have to add these things when stuff isn't available locally.
  • Cl4ud3
    It's the government and laws rather than anyone just adding money for the sake of it. It happens with all international commerce.
  • VapeCritic
    Holy crap that's a lot I'm sorry!

I'll pay the shipping on the crucible dispenser and maybe they can send that one through the mail or something so there's no duties.

Customs charges and stuff are just ways for the gov't to collect more $$ besides taxes right?

What I can tell you from my end is that a 3 pound box (Ghost shipment) costs me ~$40 to ship to Canada through the mail from NY via 3-7 day service, but I don't believe duties are charged when you receive it?

It's confusing!
  • Cl4ud3
    In the Uk it's 20% on items over the value of £15, gifts give you a little more but not much. If these things weren't in place we would buy everything from the cheapest country and then nobody in the local country would have a job :D
    So really any package sent can be taxed for import duties. There are exceptions like returns and repairs but even then they have to be marked properly or you get stung.
  • VapeCritic
    Damn, but makes sense!

I think it's hilarious that I can order goods from China with free shipping to the US, and the same package would cost me 10x more to turn around and ship it back to China :-!
  • Cl4ud3
    I've had a few from China and had to pay nothing, look at the slip and the item is usually valued something really low like under $10. If it gets stopped for a proper search then you end up paying. Luck of the draw then.
  • Michael Weinshtein
    Ah dude thats a shame... I'm from Canada too and was gonna order the MV1. Do u think I should go through with it, or perhaps wait for when retailers to stock up on the vape nearby?
  • tacit0ne
    Hey Michael, I can say the shipping was pretty quick so it kind of made up for it.

I ordered on Friday and it's in the hands of the DHL courier today. By my calculation after seeing my CC statement, the added $70 is probably tax. (~18% of the total). The price listed at checkout was in USD.
  • Michael Weinshtein
    Mmm I see, thanks for the help! Just one more thing... how much did the expenses come out in total if you don't mind me asking? In CAD
  • ghostvapesofficial
    It would be nice if someone from the company could comment on why DHL shipping charges nearly totalled $100 CAD.tacit0ne

Apologies for the delayed response but I just saw your message now.

It does seem to be very excessive and I'm going to look into this and see what we can do to help out.

Please could you PM your original order number to me @ghostvapesofficial so I can identify you on our system.

I will take care of this for you today.

Kind regards

Patrick
  • Beamer
    DHL is a joke, there is no rhyme or reason to how they charge duty fee’s...

Ordered dog collars once upon a time and DHL wanted $110 for them to be the “broker”
  • tacit0ne
    Waybill arrived. The true culprit is revealed:
    6mp80d0d6k80y3dg.jpg

Provincial tax. Remember, Quebec has wanted to become its own country, so they take this stuff very seriously and GV are being legit and declaring the actual value of the unit.

Though I do take beef with the extra $15 DHL awarded themselves with Transaction and Processing fees. One would think the original shipping package provided to GV should include this sort of thing.

I am massively impressive with DHL. Honest to butt I wasn't expecting a decent experience but they warned me hours in advance, gave me all the info I needed - I was out so I rescheduled the delivery for tomorrow, so the guy calls me and asks me why, and he gives me a chance to tell him he can just put it at my door (condos). Freaking great service. Super fast shipment once it shipped. DHL let me know before GV did which was impressive.

Battery came in cold. @ghostvapesofficial What level of charge do the battery packs ship at? If less than ~25%-30% the cold could do some permanent damage.
  • Rockytdogg

5 year warranty, man.... just throw that puppy on the fast charger, eat some dinner, and when it turns green.... have fun!
  • tacit0ne
    on it

Just waiting for the light on that charger to turn green. If some conditioning step was missed to save cost in the factory, I don't want to mess up the cells by not allowing it to charge fully.

ed. Protip: popping the bubble wrap can help relieve stress xD
  • ghostvapesofficial
    Battery came in cold. ghostvapesofficial What level of charge do the battery packs ship at? If less than ~25%-30% the cold could do some permanent damage.tacit0ne

Hi @tacit0ne

International Airline Regulations forbid the shipment of charged Lithium Ion batteries with devices - in the hold, on commercial passenger carrying aircraft.

Because our products have been tested & certified we have approved status with DHL, UPS etc.. but even these carriers place restrictions on batteries in devices being charged.

We consider our battery packs to be entirely safe to ship fully charged and would gladly do so if the law permitted.

We are not aware of any instances where our batteries have been adversely affected by weather conditions in transit.

Hope this helps.

Best

Patrick
  • tacit0ne
    The vape works, and it is beautiful. I may have ruined the long-term capacity of the battery, but the vape works.

The fast charger states it should only be operated between +5c to +30c / +41f to +86f and even though I played it safe for about 20 minutes after opening the box (allowing the battery to warm up) it's possible condensation messed with the internal charge circuitry of the battery itself causing it to /not charge/ while on the charger.

So fair warning to all people in a colder climate - if your unit is cold when you receive it, give it ample time and make sure after holding it a few seconds it doesn't sweat in your palm! It may not charge when it is cold, and for some time after, when condensation is observed. Pay close attention to the LED and make sure you're not seeing green/amber/RED (default LED display) and interpreting it as RED.

I may have some success reviving the battery. It's on its longest charge (without the LED turning green) so far this evening.
  • SmokeyVapo
    I paid £66 yesterday to DHL plus $30 for shipping and handling so in around $119 for shipment to the UK
  • Tonuzzi
    DHL delivered my first Ghost to a neighbor down the street from me, luckily he knew me and brought it over the next day. My second Ghost I purchased from Bud for a sweet deal. So happy with both units!
    I live in Canada and there was no extra handling charge from DHL.
  • tacit0ne

How?? What province are you in? Did you receive a DHL waybill similar to what I posted above?

I want to buy a second MV1 as well. :)
  • Tonuzzi
    No, no waybill was sent to me. I bought the second MV1 from bud, he gave me a really good deal on a used ghost.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment