• MrSager
    I've heard that vaporizers produce a cleaner high, is there any truth behind this?
  • Ander
    I think it's a chemical truth... And it is not only "cleaner", but more "effective". While burning, MJ will release only some of its components (the others will be... well... simply burned); through vaporization you'll get "all" the components. That's why vaporizers are so revolutionary also for medical purposes. This is the very short story. More info? Here.
    My experience: I started vaping (and quitted smoking) about 3 month ago. When I say "quitted smoking" I mean that I was also a tobacco smoker, so the matter can be a little more complicated because tobacco has its own "high" (mixed or not with MJ or hash) and creates the real, heavy dependance. Anyway, considering that all judgements can be influenced by many factors (like mood for example), these are the major differencies I've found with my Sativa (every MJ strain, and every person, is different obviously):

Smoking:
    The effect is heavy (not exactly in a positive meaning), most of the times demotivating, makes me feel (more) dull and shy. Can result more intense (but not exactly in a good way) but lasts less. Taste is shitty.

Vaping:
    The effect is clean, uplifting, and antidepressant. Depending on temperatures, it can be more stimulating or more relaxing. Makes me feel inspired, instinctive, sociable. Taste is great.

So, vaping for me is like taking an interesting walk in a winding path in the woods. Smoking is like taking the same path by car and keep going straight, banging against the trees.
  • Bud
    I like both equally and still do both!!
  • Ander
    I like both equallyVapeCritic
    still do bothVapeCritic
    Argh..! I simply can't believe it...
  • MrSager
    What's so hard to believe about it?
  • Hitz
    They're totally different experiences, just like edibles. @Ander said it best!
  • Ander

The man who inspired my migration from combustion... my "master of vapor"... is a smoker... I don't pretend that you can understand... :’(

Now I need a strong, very strong dose of vapor. I think I'll load a sauna...
  • Bud
    :’( :’( :’( i am so sorry!!!

;-)

I try to really limit the smoking but you know what, i feel it helps me keep a more neutral perspective since a lot of people still smoke and want to switch and since i still do sometimes i can really put myself in their shoes

Kinda like always having a reminder of what people who dont vape are experiencing
  • Baron23
    @MrSager@Ander - hey guys....I still like a joint once in a while also. Takes me back to those old Grateful Dead concert days! LOL

Is the high different...I have to say generally no, its not and that this is a good thing.

As mentioned in some other threads, many ex-smokers tend to look for a similar experience from vaping (visible clouds and a bite in the lungs) just from long association. I was pleasantly surprised to find that, although vaping in general doesn't seem to hit as fast and needs more of a session perhaps, when given a few minutes the result is pretty much the same. This is good news as it means that people don't have to agonize over the size of their "clouds" and can focus on the psychotropic effects, right?

So why vape...Anders nailed it...health reasons. I'm sure we have all had the experience of cleaning out the tarry crap from a herb pipe. Well, that's pretty much the same stuff coating your lungs.

Also, as mentioned, higher temps of burning create some small amount of toxic crap like benzene.

Finally, and also as mentioned, a lot of THC-A is destroyed during combustion before it can be turned into THC and inhaled. I have read some test numbers that indicated about 50% of your THC is lost during burning.

But a good spliff, man...that's still paradise :D 8-)
  • Ander
    :’( :’( :’( i am so sorry!!!VapeCritic
    Don't worry! Myths are made to collapse..!

Kinda like always having a reminder of what people who dont vape are experiencingVapeCritic
    Hmmm... That's a great, and very professional excuse..!

So why vape...Anders nailed it...health reasons.Baron23
    Surely... but in my experience I've reached a wider range of benefits and effects. Subjective matters, of course... but also some objective results.

a lot of THC-A is destroyed during combustion before it can be turned into THC and inhaled. I have read some test numbers that indicated about 50% of your THC is lost during burning.Baron23
    How the experience can be the same, then..?

Anyway, I think that you guys are not mixing MJ with tobacco... this is my problem. 25 years of hashish pipes and chillums marked me. In my brain combustion = tobacco, vaporization = MJ now. If I burn MJ, I fall in the tobacco spiral in 1 day... again. This not to annoy you with my personal problems, only to explain my radical point of view.
  • Baron23
    a lot of THC-A is destroyed during combustion before it can be turned into THC and inhaled. I have read some test numbers that indicated about 50% of your THC is lost during burning. — Baron23

How the experience can be the same, then..?
    Ander

Cause, even though some THC is destroyed, if you get enough.....well, then you got enough. See what I'm saying?

And yes, we don't roll our cannabis in shag as they do in EU. I know that's kind of standard over there but its never caught on in the USA.
  • Ander
    See what I'm saying?Baron23
    Perfectly.

And yes, we don't roll our cannabis in shag as they do in EU. I know that's kind of standard over there but its never caught on in the USA.Baron23
    That's a good habit for sure. I can't even imagine to smoke a joint without a pinch of tobacco...
    Shit... that good "american spirit" organic blend... damn it!
  • Ander
    So...
    I smoked for tobacco addiction. :s
    VapeCritic smokes for work. ;)
    Baron23 smokes to remember the good old days. 8-)

But... what about that?
    The asphyxiants in smoke—carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide—reduce oxygen in your system. This can lead to symptoms of mild hypoxia, such as dizziness, sluggishness, and even euphoria. In addition, organic matter burns so violently and at such high temperatures that there is more particulate matter (tar) in the airstream. This can trigger an immune system response that you can feel. When you switch to the gentler and lower temperatures of vaporization, you avoid these effects, but now the experience has changed in a way that perhaps you didn't expect. Their absence is probably why those who vaporize often describe the effects as "cleaner". Some people miss them.
    Cause I feel this difference... was it only related to tobacco in my case..? Any experience in vaped hashish and combusted hashish (with tobacco)?
  • Baron23
    Ok, so....you do get some CO2, maybe benzine, and other crap in smoke. That is why we are vaping.

But I have to think that if you aren't huffing and puffing all day on a pipe, you probably ain't getting enough of these toxins to effect your high. Your health, yes. Your high...I'm thinking psychosomatic perhaps (we just like cleaner deliver of our cannabis, yes?)
  • Ander
    I guess you made the point... thanks!
  • Baron23
    Ah, Anders...I'm just being argumentative and like to debate. Doesn't mean I'm right in any way and please don't look at any conversation with me as a win or lose situation. I'm just trying to have some fun, just trying to find myself some good clean hit and run :D
  • Aj85
    I must admit I was recently convinced to smoke a small j of pure herb! I haven't smoked in over two years! I really didn't like it!

I didn't feel any where near as stoned (or what I now perceive to be stoned) but I felt very groggy and Slugish, you could call it couch lock, but I really didn't like it after solely vaping for so long!

The taste was terrible (all I could taste was hot smoke) and it burned my throat and made my lungs hurt and I coughed like a motherf****r and actaully said out loud "never again!" lol my friends thought it was hilarious but I meant it, I won't be smoking again, I'd rather go without lol It just doesn't work for me anymore!

But I understand mine is a rarer position and stance on the matter! and most people I know do still smoke as well and have found it very hard to switch to solely vaping!

I have wondered if it's because of this groggy heavy feeling that smoking gave me! That some people still feel like smoking, provides more of a stoned feeling than the vapes provide because of the nastys in the smoke(or just the nature of smoke inhalation), and this is why people find vaping to be a cleaner high!

Who knows aye!

But I know I really live the vapelife! No combustion for this guy!

Take it easy!

All the best,

Aj.
  • Baron23
    HI AJ - you and Anders make good points and I really have no data to dispute it.

Since taking up vaping and also having given up cigarettes some time ago, I also find smoking again to be a bit of a rude awakening. It just doesn't taste that darn good to me.

And there are probably a million factors that I can't quantify or even define that influence how one might feel after vaping vice smoking. I do get that. I just don't find the end result very different myself and while I really do want to avoid toxins in smoking, unless I'm smoking like a steam locomotive I just ain't all that sure that I get enough of that crap to influence my buzz.

But, we are each many and varied and I, for the most part, am just spewing BS off the top of my head! LOL >:)
  • Aj85
    hey mate how u doing? Glad to see your having fun! lol

To be honest though it could of just been the amount of coughing I was doing reducing the blood flow to the brain making me feel groggy lol

Plus did you know the sky's really yellow? And grass is blue? lol

Sorry my immaturity just fell out lol I love arguing bs with my kids just to hear them say "no it's not silly dad"! lol

Take it easy!

All the best,

Aj.
  • Ander
    Well... you made my point. As you have simply highlighted the fact that tobacco and cannabis were amassing bad things in my wooden pipe, that maybe dirtied my high. That smoking cannabis blended with tobacco changed my high in worse, and that's sure. I'm just trying to forget about tobacco and connected habits... and that's maybe why I try to read vaporization in the better possible way... I'm a lonely vaper in a smoking land, you know..!
  • Chandler
    Man you guys are great! I enjoy this forum. Intelligent conversation amongst well thought adults/vape enthusiasts.

In my experience, especially having gone to solely vaping for the past 2 months or so (since s&b sent my replacement), its easier for me to compare the difference..

Smoking a particularly nice strain has the desired effects.
    Vaping the same strain, although i know I'm 'touched' i might not feel the same 'stoned' at the moment... Its when i stand up, get out My car, begin to interact with people etc. Where i realize how 'stoned' i am. Its similar to when i smoked, but slightly different. Different how?

One j for me is easily a .4 to .7.... One session in my crafty or airizer air is max a .2
    Smoking its like my eyes are low giving the impression I've blazed up. Vaping less than half that amount i feel like my eyes are low, but they're not. Multiple sessions and the vaped eyes do get low, but i feel like smoking affects the front of my brain while vaping affects more the back of my brain and travels deeper internally. Lol. Probably makes no sense. This is how i conceptualize the difference though... I still enjoy smoking, but now I'm also aware of the taste. Smoke doesn't taste nice. I would never have felt the same way unless i had spent the time away from j's but yet still experienced the buzz.....

Vapor is the way to go. This from a guy who for the past decade owned maybe 5 packs of zigzags cause a blunt was the only way i could enjoy blazing!

Perhaps i should have written this before i picked up my crafty!

Nuff love yall!
  • Baron23
    Well, we are each different and individual in our own way. I think Chandler and I are actually in agreement.

Smoking is like a baseball bat to the face while vaping seems to have a milder onset. However, for me...after 15 minutes have gone by I can't distinguish any difference in the psychotropic effects.

Cheers
  • Ander
    please don't look at any conversation with me as a win or lose situation.Baron23
    Forgot to say that... I sincerely don't..! I'm sorry that I gave you this impression.

I agree with Chandler and with you on the (extreme) subjectivity of this matter. And smoking is maybe simply more... well... somewhat aggressive. Anyway talking about the "high" can be reductive IMO, as I consider it as a specific moment in the experience (the moment immediately after you realize that the baseball bat has hit!). So... today for a... scientific curiosity (and to better understand your impressions) I've smoked a pure .2 of MJ. I'm happy to say that I didn't like it so much and yes, I didn't feel the high much different... but the overall experience yes. Vaping seems to enrich my perception more than smoking: as Chandler said, I feel the difference mostly when I interact with people, or (in my specific case) with nature elements... all seems more interesting and deep. Smoking gived me a rigid, lazy form; vaping gives me a modular, active form. Maybe it is the higher quantity of components that vaping can release..? Don't know really... But surely the mood, and our unique and different soul, influences strongly these perceptions. Maybe I'm simply somewhat mad... oh yes, that's sure..!
  • JMM
    I feel like vaping gets me higher, but in a more functional way as others have said. I used to get paranoid about smelling and looking high while in public after smoking sometimes. In reality, who cares right? But I think with vaping I don't even think about that stuff and it just makes it more enjoyable. So maybe I'm not actually higher, but more in tune with how I feel? Or I am way higher, and in tune with how I feel? Haha! I am still super new to vaping, but I would definitely prefer it.
  • shaolinmilk
    Two completely different highs in my honest opinion.

I converted to vaping since April of last year and it's been one hell of a ride. The VAS is real... I started off with the Crafty and within a year, I got the Mighty, Pax 2, EVO and a Grasshopper on the way. I honestly get way more high off vaping, however I'm more functional and not as groggy unless I vape non-stop and pass out. I still do combust from time to time and while it does bring back a shit ton of memories, it's not my ideal way to consume cannabis anymore. I started blazing back when I was 15 and now I'm 28. I feel like combustion gets you a lot more paranoid due to numerous of factors. One big one is the smell that lingers... this shit gets me way too paranoid as I feel like its stuck in my breath and its just emitting like crazy. Also, the grogginess you feel makes it seem more obvious that you are high to a stranger. I always get extremely paranoid when I combust whereas when I vape, this feeling is next to extinct unless I overdo it by taking back to back to back to back hits on my EVO.

And oh yeah, vape high definitely lasts longer for me. When I first started vaping initially, I felt like I wasn't getting to where I wanted to when compared to combustion. Once I started exclusively vaping for a week or two, the change was evident; my mind was more clear, I was in more control and the high was freaking soothing/relaxing.
  • Chandler
    @shaolinmilk i agree 100%.
  • Flipz
    Personally vaping gives me a much clearer high and I function 100% better throughout the day without that groggy feeling as others mentioned. I do enjoy the occasional joint and bong rip over the weekend, but for during the week it's strictly vaping.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment