• Bud
    My review and demo of the NewVape 20-Ton Rosin Press called the Micro-20:

They make a half-size version of this called the Mini-10 and it's half the price of the Micro-20. They have a few other kits too and also sell their plates and heaters separately if you'd rather build your own press.

Keeping them up and running for the long haul is what NewVape is focusing on with their presses, once you start depending on it you'd be pretty pissed if something happens to it. They consider it a commercial grade rosin press.

BVA hydraulics was chosen because of their post sales support, and they might be a little more expensive but NV thinks it's worth it. Shipping someone's press back and forth because of leaking hydraulics is a hassle and not practical.

With BVA you can drive your pump over to a local service center in your area and have the issues dealt with in the rare case any should arise, they offer a lifetime warranty on their parts.

Link to press: https://www.newvape.com/rosin-press

I have a promo code VAPECRITIC that gets you 10% off any NV products

Stay up!
  • Mouette
    Yay! I've been looking forward to another rosin press review!
  • Baron23
    Thanks Bud. Enjoyed that. Couple of questions

1. you said (I think) a couple of grams and then 1/8th. Was that a 1/8th squish?

2. So you were at 200 F on the platens and up to about 7-8K psi. How long was that squish?

3. What have you found to be the most important factor impacting consistency. I have seen this stuff from really gooey dark tar to...well, as you said shatter or at least what looks almost like crumble. Have you used this thing to the point you have a feel for how temp/psi/time contribute to consistency?

4. Early in squishing I would see folks just squishing right on the parchment. Do the bags have any impact other than keeping herb out of your rosin?

5. Herb...ground or nug

Thanks and when are you coming by with that squish. I have the Liger all set up and waiting! LOL
  • Mouette
    I'm wondering how much comes out of that pressed herb, if it's pretty much spent.

@VapeCritic do you feel it's worth pressing or is it wasteful / too time-consuming?
  • Gman
    3. What have you found to be the most important factor impacting consistency. I have seen this stuff from really gooey dark tar to...well, as you said shatter or at least what looks almost like crumble. Have you used this thing to the point you have a feel for how temp/psi/time contribute to consistency?Baron23

roughly 80-90% of the quality is based on starting material. If it's old, it will glass out more. If it's fresh it will crumble more. If it's "live rosin" then ti was pressed before it was done curing. This will most often cause the wax to be "budder", almost like peanut butter.

Also what you press (flower vs bubble vs keif) will also make a huge difference. Fresh bubble makes a more snap and pull where old bubble hash will often create this super glassy, shattering all over as you collect it type wax. You can't get this much of a varied change from flower. If flower has gotten so old and dry that it would produce shatter, then it won't press out. Bubble does because it will melt out of the bag. Keif is almost a middle of the road product and thus is widely used for mass operations. Keif it then press it.

4. Early in squishing I would see folks just squishing right on the parchment. Do the bags have any impact other than keeping herb out of your rosin?Baron23

If you are doing small amount of flower, or you have done a good prepress on larger amount, you can press right on parchment. For small amount this can maximize yields because there's no filter for the resin to get caught up in. For large amount the puck tends to press out too much and hurt yields. So generally, the more you press the more you'll want to move to filters to hold everything in one workable puck size. Some will get caught in the filter but with proper technique you can keep that to a minimum thus gaining yield.

5. Herb...ground or nugBaron23

Never grind it. This is as bad as pre-pressing too hard. The resin needs to flow, so you want to make that part easy. If it's too hard to press out, you need to add pressure or temperature, thus hurting color/taste quality.
  • Gman
    you can still cook out the rest into coconut oil and make edibles. Or youc an do a grain alcohol wash and get the rest caught int he filter. You can even cut them up and take out the middle and chop plus vape it. So it's not wasted, but you can throw it away since rosin will often get you 15-25% yields. So 5 grams of flower will get you 1 gram of wax. If you can get flower at 5-6$ a gram, then that's a 20-25$ gram of high quality wax. That's incredible compared to what stores charge for BHO and rosin.
  • Mouette
    Wow, that's good to know. Thanks Gman!

Do you know why wax would be so much more expensive than flower (proportionally speaking)? I can't wait for legalization to hit Canada this summer, then I'll be able to give those things a try and see what the buzz is all about
  • Gman
    you pay for someone risking their health making dangerous BHO. And with rosin, it often takes more flower to make 1 gram of wax compared to BHO, so that is why it's cost increases. it's all over priced imo since I can make it myself for a fraction of the cost.
  • Baron23
    Thanks for the input!!

So, you said:
    If it's old, it will glass out more. If it's fresh it will crumble more. If it's "live rosin" then ti was pressed before it was done curing. This will most often cause the wax to be "budder", almost like peanut butter.Gman

Got it....glass out, crumble, budder....but what do people do to make it a pliable, gooey, type (yeah, more snap and pull or even just pull)....does that have to be made from bubble?
  • Gman
    most normally cured, dried then rejeuventated to 62% relative humidity flower will give that snap-pull result.
    Same goes for Bubble but it will be more potent because the starting material was already a concentrate. However the flower rosin will be more tasty in my opinion because it's really full spectrum where the bubble might be only specific gland head sizes.

edit: oh and you don't have to re-hydrate bubble but you can. I find it kills the taste a bit though.
  • Baron23
    Thanks!! I do store my herb at 62% with Bovedas in mason jars.

Way cool.

Thanks again, friend! X-)
  • Mouette
    Yes, lots of great information. Thanks for sharing!
  • Gman
    It's my pleasure!
  • Bud

Wow thanks for the great info G, you're clearly the expert on this here! I should have paid you to do my review... lol

I use my wax veryyy slowly so even though I've had this press since last summer I've only squished about a dozen times.

Do you see any glaring mistakes I'm making?

I sadly don't have enough squishes under my belt yet to answer many questions about it as well as G did!
  • Bud
    1. you said (I think) a couple of grams and then 1/8th. Was that a 1/8th squish?Baron23

Yes sorry I didn't make that clear, there was an 1/8th of flower in the bag, broken up into small nuggets.

2. So you were at 200 F on the plates and up to about 7-8K psi. How long was that squish?Baron23

Correct, this was a long one about 3 mins of pressure. I usually do less, but last time I squished I noticed left over oil in the bag that didn't squish out so this time I wanted to do it longer, hopefully it wasn't too long but the rosin seemed to have come out pretty good.
  • Gman
    Do you see any glaring mistakes I'm making?VapeCritic

I think you did a great job this time. With that method you can fold the bag over and hit it again for some lower quality yet still good product.

I still like the bottle tech filter style better but I don't think that press opens up enough to do it. how much room does it give fully open?
  • Bud
    3. What have you found to be the most important factor impacting consistency.Baron23

So far in my limited experience with squishing it seems like temperature is the biggest factor?

I experimented a little with different squish temps, as low as 170 and as high as 220, and I got pretty different results at each.

When I did the 170 squish it came out very light and almost like crumble, and at 220 it was darker and higher yield
  • Baron23
    Thanks Bud...yeah, it looked pretty good. I'd vape it for certain.

Liger is heated up and ready....where are you?? haha
  • Gman
    Oh and anytime you want to ship me out a press to review, I'm open :)
  • Bud
    4. Early in squishing I would see folks just squishing right on the parchment. Do the bags have any impact other than keeping herb out of your rosin?Baron23

I haven't tried this yet but I'm going to next time, I saw a few clips on youtube of people doing this and I wanna try!
  • Bud
    I'm wondering how much comes out of that pressed herb, if it's pretty much spent. @VapeCritic do you feel it's worth pressing or is it wasteful / too time-consuming?Mouette

I'm averaging 20% yields with my amateur squishing skills which seems around average, I've only tried flower so far and I wouldn't say I'm starting with the highest quality material.

But I will say that I'm quite pleased to be able to make my own wax when I need it now, I haven't bought it from my dude in almost a year, pretty cool. I wish I was able to bulk flower cheaper so that I could do more test squishes but over time I will!

I like knowing it wasn't made with chemicals also, but I guess I'm still 50/50 on the press being worth a high cost if you can only get expensive flower for it.

I bought this Micro-20 with my own money to review and keep using for myself but if I wasn't planning on reviewing it I probably would have just gotten one of their cheaper kits or made my own with their plates, because of my low usage.
  • Bud
    Hehehe I'll consider it! If only this Micro-20 wasn't like 150 lbs :-!
  • Bud
    Liger is heated up and ready....where are you??Baron23

Put it next to your screen I will reach through mine with the dabber :-!
  • Bud
    how much room does it give fully open?Gman

I will measure this next time I go in the garage, it's not a lot, maybe 2 inches or so, please standby
  • Law7764
    @VapeCritic. Another great video bro! I have no problem shelling out for a high-end Vape but I couldn’t spend that much on a press myself. I’m in New Jersey and is soon as recreational use is legal I could see that being a future purchase. Plus right now I’m about 90/10 flower/concentrate.
  • Gman
    I forgot to mention lower temps will also lead more often to "crumble" than snap and pull. So if you do want to ensure that snap and pull, kep the temps up around 200f.
  • Bird
    dang, looks so good.

Before you got the fancy press did you ever try the hair straightener technique? I'm wondering if it's even worth trying without a nice press.
  • Gman
    for personal use a HS will do for a while but then you'll get tired of it and need something that will do more than 1-2 G at a time. This here 20T is overkill for lose use personal, but they sell plate sets for people to make cheaper at home setups.

Unless you are just pressing bubble hash into full melt rosin, a HS will do just fine but now the issue is temperature control. It's very difficult to keep a HS at a low temp. So again, it'll work, just not well and will quality.

A few hundred will also get you a smaller mobile press.
  • Bud

I put together their 6-ton kit also but I didn't like the frame so I took it down, I still have the plates though to eventually buy a different frame and build a smaller/cheaper press.

The Micro-20 is overkill for personal use but the quality of the parts I'm not sure is easy to replicate for less money. I wanna take those round plates I bought and find a super high quality but small frame and press for them.

I tried a hair straightener once but got terrible results, I also did some QWISO a few times to make shitty wax before I was able to get any lol :-!

u04r7vvbxe3fsreb.jpg
    alect4ad7zp0lhn7.jpg
    u7yn01z1rei1ggua.jpg
    zytndg1hpzagzk71.jpg
  • Bud
    i just measured there’s only 1.5” of clearance with the plates fully separated :’(
  • Gman
    doh! well I guess you could do small bottle tech filters and press 5 at once, lol. Probably better to just use the fold style you did with filters inside out.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment