• VapeCritic
    People ask me a lot why I don't put water in my glass rigs anymore when I vape through them, and the answer I normally give is that:

a) I get more flavor (I feel like the water strips something out)

b) the water starts to smell funky pretty fast which also affects the taste for me

c) my rigs stay cleaner and are easier to maintain when I use them dry, and they never smell funky

Last night for my live stream I put water in my rig after cleaning it just for the hell of it, and today I looked at the glass and I see this:

65lxdul2j8uqst8f.jpeg

Why does water make it do that?? I don't get those globs of weirdness when I vape dry
  • bener
    I get that in my glass (with water) when I use concentrates, but not with flower.

I am not 100% sure what's going on, but I suspect that the water helps precipitate some of the oils in the vapor and they fall as deposits on the glass.

It's sort of how particles in the atmosphere 'ride' on water molecules and come done as either acid rain or pollution precipitates.

I'm sure someone else will come up with a better, maybe even clearer, explanation.

I've tried my glass dry too, and agree that you get more flavor without it. On the other hand, sometimes vaping without water seems to dry out my throat. When having an extended session, I often vape both dry and wet. I start out a bowl with a dry piece for maximum flavor, and as I raise the temperature I switch to using water.

With my EVO, it's as simple as starting out with the Dry Mouthpiece, then as I go up in temps, I switch to a hydratube.

One last point. I have been experimenting with using a home-made cranberry extract that I add to my water in my pieces. It makes it so that the water lasts a lot longer without getting funky, and the glass stays cleaner much longer. It's sort of like RezBlock but homemade. I got the idea on another forum, so there's more info out there about this.
  • LabPong
    Ok...here is the simple physics 101 on the deposits.

You get the same thing without water....but you do not notice it much. Reason is because that stuff is spread out evenly through out the glass piece insides.

When you have water in your glass unit.....it will catch and pool the micro particles and they end up where the bubbles bounce them on the inner walls.

I like water because it takes away the harshness I feel and taste with my sensitive situation. I actually get more taste with water because if not....its so harsh it distorts the taste for me. Odd probably...but that is my body works now.

For the time I actually did use glass for a week without water......it made my glass harder to clean when it built up after 3-4 days. Hard being the stuff collected in the perc and areas I can not physically scrub with tools getting into them. I got some sticky icky wicky stuffs. lol
  • ChlorophyllMan
    Perhaps a more hydrated hit keeps the mouth/gums from drying out and requires less mint reliance :wink:
  • LabPong
    I almost forgot.....thanks for the recommendation on the Spry mints Bud....I will be picking up some of those on my way to work tomorrow.
  • Baron23
    I suspect that the water helps precipitate some of the oils in the vapor and they fall as deposits on the glass.bener

I do believe you are indeed correct. I still like a bit of water...just enough to cover the perc.
  • SirCrackKillaH
    Someone needs to buy that diamond stuff and review it for real man. hqc31z1j3nrqpm01.jpeg
    hrjtb1ps1qq3gbd7.jpeg
    nsm5ej5kpedrlsqj.jpeg
    8ef8nmnzydhpnwhy.jpeg
    3jdxxs88g5f5ew0a.jpeg
    jsmx4rirxiw05ec3.jpeg
    zv6jfaab88l8veuw.jpeg
    vp3hfz26ap86cyuc.jpeg
    9ywj58lfici62pxr.jpeg
  • SirCrackKillaH
    Dude claimed that the reclaim could be used filtered out.
  • SirCrackKillaH
    Then the stuff could be reused to clean again
  • SirCrackKillaH
    He even offered to drink it.. I was like nahhhhh
  • SirCrackKillaH
    Through water always make it feel like a science project to me. We used to construct huge water bongs. Don’t really remember if it helped with the flavor or whatever but the gravity bongs with ice water felt chiiiiilllllll
  • Gman
    water will help watch the larger particles you may not want getting into your lungs. This may be the taste different you notice since the larger the particle the more nerve endings it triggers. But the more that ends up in your lungs as well. So there is a fine line, I try to use just enough water to cover the outlets.

Also scientific testing shows water catches both good and bad, so there are cannabinoids trapped in there. So it's "usable" if you iso wash it out. And you are 100% correct you will notice less effects through aqua-filtration.
  • LabPong
    Also scientific testing shows water catches both good and bad, so there are cannabinoids trapped in there. So it's "usable" if you iso wash it out. And you are 100% correct you will notice less effects through aqua-filtration.Gman

Tell that to my Flowerpot and Elev8r and they will just laugh at you....hehehehe "we blow through water with more power and goodies than Santa on an covered roof" :strong:
  • Kakarot
    Yuck I leave water in my bongs for weeks.. & I vape thru water alot.. I have never got anything like that before..
  • LabPong
    I used to use cranberry extract and got tired of it after the first 2 weeks. Too many microbial's growing with it unless you empty a lot and refill. Now I just use distilled water.

But the best thing that helped me with keeping my units clean with water.....DROP DOWN! Now all I have to spend time cleaning is that. The main water unit stays super clean this way. And an added benefit was that it made my unit I use with the flowerpot and elev8r work much better.
  • Toked23
    Soooo, with all this being said, should we be filtering this vapor? Seems to be the stuff collecting is probably a negative health wise? @VapeCritic @LabPong
  • Baron23
    exactly. Distilled water is cheap so I change often.

Used cranberry and it looked like a science experiment. LOL.
  • LabPong
    ↪LabPong
    exactly. Distilled water is cheap so I change often.

Used cranberry and it looked like a science experiment. LOL.
    Baron23

Ya....the cranberry is great for breading sea monkeys.
  • jcrewl

" I don't get those globs of weirdness when I vape dry"

Maybe because youre probably inhaling it instead? I assume the water is filtering that stuff out.
  • Vapeacake
    As a medicater (self ) with a lung disease I find water irritating and the pull too much. Yet the longer glass path created by a dry water piece can be beneficial where vaper heat is an issue.
  • Cl4ud3
    I never use water, robs too much taste for me and I find vapour cool enough without it. The only times I use water are for glass function videos or if I have a very bad throat.
    Those odd times I have used water I would change it daily even if it doesn't look like it needs it.

I will say I extra screen nearly every vape I have in some way or another, I'm not worried about anything needing filtrating through water.
  • VapeCritic
    Thanks for your replies everyone I just read them all, seems most of you like the h2o!

I didn't even bring it up yet but I will also go as far as saying that there is a noticeable difference in effects for me when using water versus vaping dry.

My personal belief is that the water is doing more harm than good, and that the extended vapor path of using a rig is what cools and conditions the vapor more than the water itself.

I believe water filters out some part of the THC or some other compounds because I get a noticeably stronger sedative effect when using water, that I don't feel when vaping dry. Maybe I'm crazy, maybe it's maybelline.

Any mico-particles making it into the vapor should just cling to the glass on the way to the mouthpiece even if there's no water, there's usually quite a few twists and turns that the vapor makes inside most rigs. What LabPong said about why it appears as clumps when using water makes sense, when I use it dry it just spreads out evenly over the inside surfaces of my rig instead, but it's def less noticeable. I just personally feel like seeing those clumps is gross, and I still get grossed out by the smell of the water lol

Just my personal beliefs and findings, now that I think about it the difference in effects that I feel might be the top reason I don't use water, and the other reasons are just in addition.
  • Gman
    what I posted was an actual scientific study, so you are right, it filters good and bad particles.
  • Gman
    "In the late 1970's, a group based at the University of Athens Medical School (Greece) conducted a series of chemical and pharmacological studies on marijuana and tobacco smoke.1-4 These scientists tested smoke that had been filtered through a water pipe and also tested the water itself, which contained both soluble and insoluble compounds. Chemical analysis revealed many different compounds in the smoke and in the water, as expected from the combustion of plant materials. The water did trap some THC, as well as other psychoactive compounds, however, most of the THC present in the marijuana passed through the water pipe unchanged. Pharmacological tests (in mice) revealed that some of the water-trapped marijuana compounds were responsible for producing catatonia and for suppressing spontaneous motor activity. In contrast, the water-filtered smoke itself did not affect spontaneous motor activity and did not induce catatonia, though it was richer in THC. These results indicate that water filtration removes some behaviorally active compounds in preference to others; this may be important when comparing the therapeutic effects of whole marijuana smoke to water-filtered smoke. "

http://www.ukcia.org/research/EffectsOfWaterFiltrationOnMarijuanaSmoke.php
  • Gman
    If you read through the multiple studies done, it's wise to use aqua filtration despite some THC loss.
  • Baron23
    Powdered Brewer's Wash. Non-toxic, mix in a bit of hot water, cleans the glass like nobody's business.

Just don't leave it in there longer than 10 minutes as some folks have gotten some streaking in their glass from just leaving it in there.

I prefer to do 5 minute soaks and if its not clean I just do another cycle. Easy peasy.

Pretty cheap too.

https://www.amazon.com/PBW-Five-Star-1-lb/dp/B07711NP6B/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520271959&sr=8-1&keywords=powdered+brewery+wash
  • Baron23
    I do understand how a non-soluble compound can be held in suspension in a liquid, but as we all know.....THC is not water soluble so I don't particularly worry about the small amount caught up in suspension.

To me, the loss is negligible and the benefits significant.
  • VapeCritic
    yes it totally makes sense to me that the pros outweigh the cons with smoke, but with vapor I'm the other way, I feel the THC loss is noticeable and not worth the added benefits of the water, which I feel are debatable
  • VapeCritic
    lol well look at that two opposite opinions! :sweat: :sweat:
  • VapeCritic
    That pic I posted of the globs inside is just from 2 hours of vaping during the stream :vomit:
  • VapeCritic
    I'm not sure if that's THC or what but if it is that's kinda a decent amount, I probably only ran a gram or a gram and a half of bud through it
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment