• artv4nd3l4y
    I've been looking for a straight forward and easy way to use my AVB. I have used olive oil mixed with hash oil in the past, but I wanted a better alternative. One of the attractive parts of coconut oil is you can easily eat it in it's raw form, whereas olive oil would be disgusting and I usually mix it into something like brownies. I was amazed by how easy the coconut oil method can be when I used some tips from a few different guides I found. I didn't find anything specific in the forums for this after searching, so I apologize if this has been covered already but I wanted to share.

What you need:
    1. Two mason jars
    2. Coconut oil
    3. AVB
    4. Heat Source (double boiler or crockpot)
    5. Strainer

How to do it:
    Step 1 (Mix coconut oil with AVB)
    The mason jar is optional, but I highly recommend it. It's going to contain the smell for anyone with nosy neighbors, and more importantly it's going to eliminate some waste because there's a lot less surface area for your product to stick to.

Pour in some coconut oil first, depending on the room temperature you may need to melt it first which I think you can handle. Add AVB into the oil, the rule of thumb is to at least completely cover your AVB with coconut oil. Add more coconut oil as necessary, too little coconut oil will not be able to absorb everything.

Lecithin is recommended to mix for better absorption of the AVB into coconut oil. I have read this can be added at a later time also, simply heat the coconut oil to liquid form again and mix. Multiple sources advocate using lecithin and it will reduce the amount of content needed.

Step 2 (Heat the coconut oil to absorb all the AVB content)
    A crockpot is going to be preferable for this, but I am using a double boiler for my first attempt. You just want to avoid overheating you material, so don't let it boil. I have read around three hours is the minimum amount of time you want to leave your product to mix together. This is yet another reason why the crockpot is good, no flame or gas to worry about.

Make sure to keep shaking up the bottle periodically, this is very important. I don't have a good guideline for how often, but make sure it is done regularly.

Step 3 (Strain the AVB out of the oil)
    The final step is to get the AVB out of the oil. Some will recommend a cheesecloth, but everyone knows you are going to lose some of your product with one. I purchased a fine mesh strainer for this, and a more heavy duty coffee filter (has an actual metal screen). Straining is simple, you want to get as much plant material out without wasting your precious oils. This is where the second mason jar comes in, simple pour the mixer jar through the strainer into your storage mason jar. Your product is ready to enjoy now.
  • artv4nd3l4y
    I have also noticed gelatin capsules are recommended but in my experience they are far too much work. Obviously the AVB content is a big factor here, but I had to eat 12 massive capsules to really get much effect. I can only imagine how long it would take to put a couple ounces of AVB into capsules... Also you're digesting the plant matter then, which will no doubt be much harder on your body.
  • kpx420
    I would like to add.. I like to water cure AVB for about 5 days in cheesecloth and put that straight into a mason jar with coconut oil, into a crockpot for atleast 2 days..
    Water curing helps eliminate the smell/taste of avb which cause some people to get avb burps or avb gas lol
  • artv4nd3l4y

I have definitely noticed this as a suggestion, thanks for adding that.

It sounds like you find water curing to be worth it. Do you change the water out at least daily over the five day period? Water curing was debated, mostly whether the additional work was worth the effort.

The "official guide" that was referenced, mentioned the water would need to be changed daily for best results. That was the main issue I had with it, that sounds like a lot of extra work depending on the amount of material.

I would be curious if you are willing to be more detailed about your process. It sounds like you may just leave it in the same water for five days. I would think this may be a decent medium, sure changing the water out daily would be better, but is also a lot of work. If you put it straight into the mason jar then obviously you don't have to dry it. I believe that was also a part of the "official guide's" process.

Anyways, I am definitely interested to hear more if you're willing to share.
  • Lucic and Chong
    I have been doing a similar, but more simplified process like this for years with my AVB. I also have more AVB than I'll ever be able to use, so I'm not at all concerned about losing a little product.
    ggtoiefm4blwhpry.jpg

Put AVB in slow cooker, use just enough (melted) coconut oil to cover. Add a small splash of water to account for evaporation. Cook on low for 4 hours, stirring every hour. Strain it, "bake" with it, and freeze whatever I don't use.

I personally don't find the need for the water curing step, but that's just me. I just try to keep this process as simple as possible.
  • artv4nd3l4y

Thanks for sharing.

Good to hear you are pleased with a very similar process, I think getting a crockpot/slow cooker is the way to go if you do this regularly. I was eager to try this method, but didn't have a crockpot available so am using the double boiler. It's a bit more work, but if done right can still give good results.

Since you have been doing this for years I am curious if you have cooked for different periods of time. Have you found 4 hours to be a good average time to extract the majority of content out of your AVB? Certainly mixing overnight would mix more, but it's likely the majority is extracted in the first few hours. I'm curious if you have payed attention to this, and found you don't get much better potency after mixing for 4 hours.
  • kpx420
    No I change every 12 hrs.. especially the first 2 days,, I actually have the mason jar in the crockpot right now going on 27 hours.. ill get pics up soon

Also if I decide to leave more than 12 hours, lets say 24 hrs.. i would use distilled water to keep the pH balanced (prevent molding).. Please dont assume, I did my research :grin:

Water curing absolutely worth it, trying giving avb stuff to a non smoker/vaper.. they spit it out saying it taste burnt (meaning avb taste)..
  • Lucic and Chong
    I pretty much stick to around 4 hours and haven't really experimented with more or less time.

I find as far as potency goes, the most important thing for me is the amount of oil used in comparison to AVB. I try to use as little coconut oil as I can, literally JUST enough to cover. I believe that this concentrates more of the goodness into a smaller amount of oil, making it stronger.

And if you do plan on doing this regularly, I highly recommend getting a slow cooker. They can be found cheap enough, and I find it much easier to just set it and forget it.
  • artv4nd3l4y

Yeah I figured regular changing of the water is important to get good results. Patience is a virtue, and it sounds like you will get great results, hard work pays off.

How long would you say it takes you to water cure around two ounces of AVB? The labor is really what has kept me from considering it.
  • artv4nd3l4y

You are definitely correct that using less coconut oil will leave you with a more potent product, and I am glad you just sparked this conversation because now it's got me thinking.

The only issue I can see with too little coconut oil, is perhaps it won't be able to absorb everything. Using too much would definitely decrease the potency, as a lot of it would still be coconut oil.

You want to use enough oil to fully absorb your AVB content, but not too much to dilute the coconut oil's THC content. Although coconut oil is better than most other oils from a health standpoint, it's still saturated fat and we don't want to consume any more than necessary.
  • kpx420
    Right now Im doing 65 grams to 14fl oz of coco oil.. I water cured it for 5 nights 6 days
  • artv4nd3l4y

How much time/labor would you say it took to get that done overall?

That ratio is very close to what I'm doing. I weighed almost 60 grams, and am using just under 14 fl oz of coco oil so almost the same. Hoping this will be a potent mix.
  • kpx420
    one week, water curing and crockpot
  • artv4nd3l4y

Sorry let me rephrase that, I understand one week is the amount of time it takes to complete the process.

How much personal time do you have to spend to get good results from water curing? i.e. Are you spending 30 minutes a day, an hour etc?

One of the biggest reasons others don't water cure is the amount of time it can take, that's why I'm wondering how much time is really needed per day to do it right.
  • kpx420
    Here is what Im working on as we speak.. almost 30 hours inside the crock pot7ljy0rl0el6w7mal.jpg
    7wutkmi2ql95th08.jpg
    yezy714xlgu7ay6b.jpg
    f6gesix75btgfbzd.jpg
  • kpx420
    Just dump the water once a day.. takes less 5 mins a day? I guess it depends how u set it up.. I put my avb cheesecloth in a pickle jar with wide mouth opening and soaked in water.. I put a small mason jar with water to keep the cheesecloth submerged.. really takes no time your day.. just a waiting game.. more work in the crockpot cuz my pot is too small as u see.. I have to keep adding water maybe every 6-8 hours
  • artv4nd3l4y

Very nice, the second picture looks like you put your AVB into a cheesecloth and then into the coconut
    oil. If I'm seeing right that definitely makes straining a much easier process. I ordered a couple of cheesecloths just to try but they're not here yet.
  • kpx420
    Yes it is.. same cheesecloth I water cured with.. FYI they sell cheesecloth at walmart (believe it or not.... arts/crafts section) I learned water curing from this site

https://www.vaporizerwizard.com/how-to-water-cure-your-already-vaped-bud-avb/

I hope I can post this, (VC's competition?)
    BTW I skip the last step to dry in the oven, ( i put it straight into oil)
  • artv4nd3l4y

Thanks for that.

For less than 30 minutes of personal time overall, I could see it being worth it to water cure. The cheesecloth sounds like the trick, because you can easily just pull it out and drain the water then.

Of course for the first time I wasn't patient enough to wait another five days. With at least having some edibles in stock though, I may want to give this a try next time, I will definitely get my cheesecloths by then.
  • kpx420
    Yea the first time its roller coaster ride lol but you make adjustments each time.. this my 5-6th time i think? doing this process im still adjusting.
  • artv4nd3l4y

Are you kidding me I was at Walmart yesterday actually looking for a cheesecloth, didn't find one then ordered a couple from Amazon. Suppose I could've asked, but that would involve Walmart giving customer service... Thanks for the future reference though, what the hell would they put it in the arts/crafts section for?
  • kpx420
    Yes i asked and it was in the arts/crafts section.. But im on the eastcoast.. maybe different over around your way? LOL worker & I said same thing why is it here?
  • artv4nd3l4y

I haven't noticed a problem with others posting external links. I think the only issue you would run into is intentionally posting a link that appears to be something legitimate but is malicious. Really everyone should be cautious when clicking on links anyways though, at the very least look at the bottom left to see where you may really be going. I say may because that may not be the true destination either, DNS hijack is just one example of how you can get somewhere you didn't even click on.
  • artv4nd3l4y

No it's probably in the arts/crafts section here too. I didn't ask so I didn't find it lol.
  • kpx420
    Well I hope this helps, you posted at the right time as I was in this process.. IMO i think it comes out so-so.. i want to make it stronger.. my co workers think its good enough to pay me for it lol.. so idk.. I vape alot tho, at least 2 grams a day

But water curing makes big difference.. my brownies taste flawless, no avb taste or after taste.. i sell them
  • artv4nd3l4y

Yeah it's good to hear from someone who actually does the water curing process, this information wasn't really available anywhere else so I'm sure it's appreciated by others as well. I will have to try and add that as an optional step to the original post.

That's pretty good for AVB edibles considering most of the THC is gone... I added almost a half ounce of non vaped green (mostly shake) to up the THC content for this reason (I did decarb it since it wasn't vaped). On the other hand, my tolerance is extremely high to edibles from past use with hash oils so it takes a lot for me personally. I definitely vape a lot also, generally around .6 per session with the volcano so it can easily come to 2 grams a day. That really adds up over time so I expect to make this every couple of months.
  • artv4nd3l4y
    So my process ended up turning out quite well. The straining part was more intensive than I was hoping, but I could've had a better setup. I used a fine mesh steel filter which still let quite a bit of solids through, so I am really glad to have added the very fine coffee filter. It even seemed the coffee filter would've been fine for multiple uses, but at $2.50 a filter I just threw it out to avoid the hassle of cleaning it. I wasn't able to just leave the metal strainer safely on the coffee filter however, so I had to hold it the entire time. The end result was quite close to pure oil, there were just some extremely fine bits left that passed through the coffee filter also. A cheesecloth would've gotten these, but also a lot more of the oil too.

I used over two ounces and slightly under 14 oz of coconut oil, the taste ended up being as you can imagine extremely strong. I had to chase a spoonful with apple juice and am glad I had it ready, the aftertaste was pretty awful. I suppose I could mix less AVB into it at the expense of potency for taste, but this makes me think water curing would be worth it. I started out with three spoon fulls about 10 minutes ago. I will report back when I have fully absorbed it, although I am pretty sure I'm already feeling it.
  • kpx420
    You'll be amazed how much water curing will eliminate all that "avb taste".. I dont think adding less abv will lessen the taste.. IMO only water curing will fix this.. When you water cure, you'll see the first 12 hrs the water is completely black and stinks~.. As you change water, it becomes less dark/smelly to just about clear after few days..I think you'll appreciate the work you put into it with the final product..Good luck~

BTW I totally feel ya wit 0.6 in the Volcano.. While I don't own or have ever tried a Volcano, I do have his little brother... The Plenty and I dont think I need to tell you how big the chamber is on that beast. lol
  • artv4nd3l4y

Funny part is that's the only reason I don't currently have the Plenty also, think I would just burn right through it.

I really got hit hard last night side effects wise because I took it on an empty stomach, didn't get much effect for it. Tonight I didn't feel any side effects on a full stomach but the taste really is bad (when I was shaving the wall started moving so I definitely felt it). I mix it with a lot of apple juice, and literally put apple juice in my mouth first then drink it. Another thought is the gelatin capsules just for this batch, saw someone was doing that and it would be easy with liquid.

The water going black to clear definitely explains why it lessens the side effects also. I will definitely have to try that next time I just got my cheesecloths.
  • kpx420
    Yep I see your mixing alot of juice because of the taste.. water curing will solve all of that.. I still actually have my mason jar in the crockpot, I stop during the day when I'm at work and immediately start it when I get home.. I've never tried keeping the avb in the mason jar this long so I''ll report if the results are substantially better or not.. Good luck with the cheesecloths!
    BTW Plenty, I think you would burn right through it like me but damn its a enjoyable session!
  • artv4nd3l4y

You are right about water curing being a crucial step. Honestly I don't know that I will even keep this batch I mixed, the side effects are just terrible. Truthfully, my edible tolerance is ridiculous, so to get a feeling from AVB edibles I have to consume quite a bit. I swear I felt horrible the next day in my stomach from it, although I did try them two nights in a row which would've made it a bit worse.

Basically I've found they're great for upsetting your stomach all day, without getting much effect. Yeah, fuck these AVB edibles not water cured, garbage.

For anyone else reading this, you may have better results than me without water curing, it really depends on your tolerance. Personally, I have found the amount necessary to feel something makes my stomach absolutely terrible.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment