• DregerUS
    For concentrate extractions:
    Thoughts? Experience?

I know that high-proof alcohol is not attainable in certain states,would this be a good alternative?

https://www.culinarysolvent.com/store/c7/shop-food-grade-ethanol-gallons
  • artv4nd3l4y
    I can't give any good advice sorry. But that product does look legit, and I would wonder how that would compare to standard high proof alcohol. So the main difference is 190 proof would only be 95% pure, whereas the purity can go up to 99% with others. I'm sure you already know all of this Dreger which is why you're asking, sorry I can't answer, but I am also curious how much a difference 4% would make?
  • artv4nd3l4y
    Also that is crazy expensive for a gallon of alcohol, especially when it's not 99% but it does look to be of higher quality so it's possible it may make some great extracts. I am talking from total word of mouth so please take it with a grain of salt, but many advocate how high quality the extracts producted from alcohol can be when done right.
  • Baron23
    Everclear is cheaper in my area and is equally as good (is also 190 proof).

But Everclear is not available in all municipalities so this looks to be a good alternative.
  • juxt
    I just ordered some to FL, see how it goes.
  • AnVom
    Shipping sucks but it's less than that stuff, gotta sign for it
  • juxt
    I actually used my order with the Source Turbo and it works great. I did the corn one, but I don't think it matters. Comes in 4 L bottles for the gallon, I've only been using one bottle though because you get almost all of it back with the Source.
  • okla68m
    I use Everclear 190 Proof/95% "ASSUMED THE 5% WAS WATER, ASSUMED, KEYWORD"...Oklahoma
  • okla68m
    juxt, Sorry, but I'm Lost.....don't know How you're "getting it back"....sorry, Vaped Blue Dream......
  • juxt
    The Source uses vacuum and heat to boil off the alcohol and then recondense it on the lid of the device where it drips down into side panels. You routinely lose ~ 5%, but get back pure culinary solvent to reuse. And in the case of the CS brand it is 95% non-denatured grain alcohol with 5% purified water.
  • Rockytdogg
    I pretty much only use Everclear over ISO now.
  • juxt

The most you can get in FL is 151 proof...CS was my only option.
  • Rockytdogg

Oh no, man, sorry.... yeah, I know, that sucks...!

I was more just noting that I don’t like using ISO anymore even tho it’s a fraction of the cost of ethyl...

Glad you found something you like!

Are you talking about using one of these, @juxt?:

http://www.extractcraft.com/shop/source-turbo
  • juxt

Yep, thats it...
  • Bruce
    Hey Dreg, Good to see u again. Hope you been good.
  • okla68m
    juxt, Wow...hadn't thought of one of these....I GET IT now....Thx !
  • Dave63
    looks pretty cool. Wonderful to see this type of innovation being developed.
  • juxt

I love mine, if you do get one I hope it works for you!
  • 420edc
    are you grinding dry material, soaking dried buds or soaking fresh flowers?
  • juxt

I've done two types, ABV long soak where I let it go a month then ran it through, and a cured flower run with some stuff I bought, quick cold wash and run.

For the ABV, over the month I let a mason jar's worth soak in the dark. I'd shake it maybe twice a day and let it breath every 3 days. Filtered through cheesecloth, but that's a horrible mess...I ended up buying a french press because of how bad this was. The output was jet black tar...super stable pull and snap, but it's much stickier than normal. It even discolored a white Silicon Alley pad I used to consolidate it.

For the nugs, I put the CS and the flower in the freezer overnight, then just poured the CS into the mason jar and left it in the freezer for 3 minutes. Gave it a vigorous 2 minute shake at the end then filtered through the french press. This one I also ran through a buchner funnel, purchased from Southern Labware (good kit), then the source. It came out a cloudy golden/green/amber at the end. This one was less yield than the ABV, but I did only soak it for like 5 or so minutes. Super strong, but I also bought the Ardent Nova and decarbed it beforehand...not sure if how much of a difference that makes because I just vape anyway. The good part with this is you can reuse your material, I have that batch soaking now, letting it go for a month to see what happens.
  • TheHulliCopter
    D-Limonene organic non-polar solvent & its food safe
  • Rockytdogg

For what tho? What are you going to do with it? Wash something?

This appears to be a way for people to get 95% ethyl alcohol in areas where Everclear is not legal... like Florida.
  • TheHulliCopter
    @RockytdoggYou could substitute it for iso or everclear it would be safer as its not flammable
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment