• artv4nd3l4y
    I just got the Nova in the mail today, after much hesitation in deciding to purchase it. I wanted to post a review for anyone that wanted to consider one but has heard iffy reviews. I'm not going to say people aren't getting a decent decarb using simple methods (certainly with some trial and error), but there are some really great benefits I get from this device in addition to safely activating the material.

I loaded 2.7 grams of CO2 shatter into a silicon heat safe silishot glass and then put it into the Nova to avoid waste and cleanup. Overall I was pleased that it took a good bit over an hour, which was longer than I was comfortable keeping it in the oven last time I tried (it would still bubble in the oven because it's hard to spread heat evenly). The final result was an absolutely clear liquid that looked to be perfectly activated and decarbed. What I find most interesting is that this machine is supposed to be able to do any type of material, flower, wax, oil, keef, etc. That's why I was happy to find the concentrate was heated for a good amount of time, I was concerned how it would handle different materials.

I took the shot glass out and poured some coconut oil directly into it, then stirred it up. I further mixed it up into a mason jar with more coconut oil, and also added a bit more coconut oil to the silicon shot glass (had bit of thc residue) I used to take a little shot and eliminate any waste. I plan to use a syringe to measure the amount put into gelatin capsules. I used to bake brownies, but I really started to think about the waste of mixing everything up, the remaining mix leftover etc. The worst part is no matter how hard you try, the potency of brownies will always vary between brownies of the same batch,

I didn't smell anything during the process, so I don't have to worry about my place smelling at all. That is a huge plus for me, also I love that I don't even have to think. Every time I go to decarb I always hate the process, because I know that I could be doing a better job in some way. This puts my mind at ease that now there's nothing more I can do, and it seems to work very well. I will report more when I get to try the edibles, I will definitely be trying the same dose that would be in the brownies I have made. I have made many many brownies in the past so I have a very good idea what effect they should have on me.
  • artv4nd3l4y
    I typically like to get 16 doses out of each batch of edibles, but I found that 5ml of coconut oil calculates to roughly 101.89mg of THC (right around my preferred initial dose, which I will usually take another of two hours later to avoid overwhelming myself). With 3oz (88.72ml) of infused coconut oil total, that would be just under 18 doses total of just over 100mg THC. I am about to fill my first 5ml dose into the syringe, I will have to report back when it's in effect. This dose is just a bit lower than my usual brownies, the last ones were anywhere from 125-150mg but is always hard to say.
  • artv4nd3l4y
    I am definitely feeling a very heavy effect from just the slightly above 100mg dose. I just took another 5ml because I really want to be gone right now, and I think over 200mg worth of fully activated thc should do it. I would have to say this is definitely a more noticeable effect than the brownies, I will definitely wait until later to try and say how much stronger I would say. Right now it seems like I'm getting the same effect I had from eating two brownies (one should be around 116mg so well over 200mg...), but I will know for sure after about another hour and a half if I'm :yawn:.
  • artv4nd3l4y
    I just started to get a fairly strong head pressure, I haven't vaped anything in like almost two hours so couldn't be from that... I do also let the coconut oil just sit in my mouth for a while, at 3 ounces to 2.7 grams of shatter it's quite diluted and pleasant tasting. I do believe the sublingual effects may be starting very possibly, I took my first dose at 8:20PM (currently 10PM) and the second one almost 20 minutes ago?
  • artv4nd3l4y
    Yeah I ended up passing out, that estimated 200mg THC hit me super hard. In contrast I was used to eating two brownies from the last batch and sometimes not even getting much effect (using oven decarb method), this dose that is slightly less THC used put me on my ass. The fact that I didn't bake brownies does mean less loss, it's just not possible to perfectly mix the oil and then spread it over a pan without leaving some on the bowl and utensil... Then there are crumbs left over too when you have to cut it, just hard to not see how wasteful that is.

When I first looked at the coconut oil mix before making the last batch of brownies, I said why not just leave it in this form? At least I know it's evenly mixed in this state. I read a Leafly tutorial that said most gelatin capsules melt at 100F, I actually read an Amazon review that complained about filling THC meds into some specific capsules. I can't help but wonder if heat was the issue, but then again I don't want to take the risk of going with those ones haha.

I've found the Ardent Decarboxylator to be very efficient, by comparing it to the very many batches of edibles I've made without using it. I have never gotten this type of effect from only an estimated 200mg of THC. I have taken far, far more estimated THC than that before. Back when I used to eat them regularly, I have eaten five brownies before over a short period of time. That should be equivalent to anywhere from 500-750mg (I did feel like i was gonna die at some point I'm sure), depending on if 2.5 or 3.5 grams of alcohol THC extract was put into it. I am assuming 70% THC, which actually may be on the lower side for that specific extract. Of course it's very hard to estimate, but dabbing it was very potent compared to BHO extracts so I know it had very high content.
  • DatDus

I was looking for this Ardent nova.. Does it still work great for you?
  • BestBuds
    I decarb with it all the time. It works great!
  • beezee420
    ill decarb for you for free, just sent over what you want and shipping costs back!
  • DatDus

I don't think international shipping to decarb some weeds, is a wise thing to do :wink:
  • DatDus
    I can't order it, don't have a credit card and there's no PayPal option :cry:
  • DatDus
    do you also infuse oil with it?
  • KKAMC72
    it works well if you infuse a small amount of oil. Your best bet is to get an oil infuser sorta like the magic butter 2.0. That will return the most cause alot of infusion methods lack binding the full amount of thc. Usually the best methods will get close to 90% which the ardent can do, you just cant do a bunch of oil. They sell a silicone cover for the inside that does allow you to do close to like a cups worth if I'm correct on dimensions. But for decarb, you need an ardent. No way around it. It will save soooooo much.
  • alltatup
    I've had two Ardent Novas for 1.5 years, and it's an indispensible machine for me to do precision decarb before I make tincture. I have total respect for the company and Shanell Lindsey.
  • DatDus

I was wondering about that, let's say you take 5 grams of 25% thc, take some loss and it turns out at 200 mg thc per gram, 20 ml of olive oil will make 2 10ml bottles of 500 mg thc. 20 drops per ml? 500/20 will make 1ml 25 mg dose..
  • KKAMC72
    most infusion methods are lucky to even really reach 80% in a lab environment. To be kind most stove type methods for decarbing you lose 30% and then when you infuse you lose even more percent if the infusion isnt done to a specific temp. Where most ovens and stoves fluctuate 10 degrees either way and that's extreme when were talking about chemicals being converted and the infusion needs to be specific temp/time/lots of stirring. Thats adding an additional 20% knock, which is common. Close to almost 50% in losses and when were talking edibles thats big. Since you get 11 times more the effects, you surely will notice the dif. And that is in no way saying it cant be done well or doesnt work! But to get the most out of you plant this makes a strong dif. Take it from someone who's been In professional culinary for 7.5 years and has found good ways to get it to work. But the machine will pay it self off over in folds! No regrets, no smell, no real maintenance.
  • Triad
    Any opinions on if the magical butter silicone decarboxylator or others like it for around $30 does close to or as good as the ardent nova for $180 to decarboxylate.
  • KKAMC72
    do not waste you money on any other machine! The magic butter can do it all. But you will not get high grade anything.
  • Chandler
    I just started using my nova again after a long hiatus. I felt the Decarb wasn't as effective as my oven technique, my infusions were weaker than I'm used to...
    I'm back to infusing, so giving it another go.

Yes my silicone lid stinks. Can't get rid of it. However, it doesn't leach into my herbs or alter the taste of my infusions

Experimenting with alcohol this time, making green dragon tincture. 7grams bud to 2oz alcohol, then reduced to 1 oz.
    Tried a batch with purple space cookies, i think it came out pretty nice. Tonight I'm going to Decarb some king Thunder fuck.
  • John Cocktostone
    reasons I decarb via sous vide
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube