• Pud
    love when we get back to the science and how the numbers should be arrived. Definitely with sous vide the temp is maintained throughout the product in the bag and is precise. Only reason I went with Ardent was $$$.
    What kind of machine do you use? Something like the Techtongda? Thanks
  • John Cocktostone
    I like Anova wand style. My friend bought a no name one for way cheaper on Amazon and he has great similar results. I like Anova as my brother owns a steakhouse and it is what I was exposed to first.

I've used Jule, SV Supreme, and one other name brand. I still like Anova. #biased
  • Pud
    great info... thanks! I hadn’t considered a wand style as I thought it may not have the accuracy but that was a few years ago. Good to know cooks use this brand as well. maybe I’ll have to revisit that for larger batches... that is the pita thing on nova being such a small batch process
  • John Cocktostone
    small batch yes but the Ardent is convenient for sure...and consistent
  • Baron23
    While I agree that there are many devices that are much more accurate at holding temp than a household oven, I also think that they are maligned more than justified by actual performance.

One big issue with ovens is calibration. If I set it for 250F, do I get 250F or is my oven calibrated a bit high/low. I have used a high quality thermo I use for smoking meats and found my oven to be well calibrated. My GF, Sammy Jane's, oven runs cold....something first observed as I tried to cook Thanksgiving turkey for 15 people at her house (sigh...haha) and later validated with my thermo.

Then, there is the issue that ovens (and really almost all of these type of devices) are kind of binary...they turn on the heating element, get to temp (or slightly above), shut down, then heat up again as temp drops below some point.

So, yes....temp will vary over a range over time. BUT, that doesn't mean that the load (your flower) will vary at the same rate and to the same degree as the air in the oven and I think if you consider integrating a set temps measured at fixed intervals over time (yeah, fucking hated calculus) you may well find that they really are rather good.

Me, I'm fine with wrapping my flower in aluminum foil and using my oven. Seems to work well based on products I made. However, in a spirit of transparency, while I do make and take edibles, its not a daily med for me so most of you have more direct experience with this than I.

Cheers
  • John Cocktostone
    my dad used to just grind up 2 grams in the batter and bake as normal. Worked for him he said. He passed 9 months ago. Rip

I dont think there is a right or wrong way to decarb. I just like the control or perceived control of the SV method. Plus when people see it being done it is a conversation
    Starter. Personal preference.

*fyi fry bacon during oven decarb to reduce smell if concerned.
  • Baron23
    ↪Baron23
    my dad used to just grind up 2 grams in the batter and bake as normal. Worked for him he said. He passed 9 months ago. Rip
    John Cocktostone

Hi John - so sorry about your dad, I have buried the entire generation before mine in my family. Just the circle of life, I suppose.

And YES, old school....just put that shit in the brownie mix and bake as brownies are indeed cooked for a fairly long time.

Now, Alice B Toklas cookies...well, cookies are not in the oven long enough and IMO def require decarb of the flower before use.

With all of that said, I do extract into fat rather than just eat the flower like I did in my younger, dumber, and def more barbarian days! haha
  • John Cocktostone
    this guy in a FECO,RSO blog I was on decarbs his in an Ardent. Fine grinds to a powder and fills 00 size gel caps with the powder. In his mind it's the only way to receive all the benefits of the plant.
  • Pud
    sorry about your dad....
    +1 on bacon! Just a piece or two is all you need!
    or I keep the frozen chocolate chip cookie dough thats cut into little squares... you def can throw them in the oven still frozen
  • PelicanWarlord
    I watch this women's channel too. Worth it for the specific measurements. Not just a pinch of love instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ3ByS4J6ke4YEgHL8TFrKw
  • okla68m
    Do I need to Decarb the concentrate I make to get it to reaCT if consumed as opposed to Vaped ?
  • bulllee
    I have a MB machine and a decarb kit. They both work like a charm, efficient, and effective at a affordable price. What I like about the MB decarb box is an external thermometer hooked up to a timer. So no matter what kind of oven I use I always get an accurate temp. Together they can make some potent products ! No fussing around very consistent. As far as extraction % IDK . My cookies are the stuff legends are made of. :rofl: :joke: :cool:
  • BestBuds
    I bought the Nova because at that time it was the easiest option. I use it often and I make some potent edibles with my MB machine. But the MB Decarb box is probably what I would get now. The decarb box works great and is much cheaper than the nova. I will echo the fact that the silicon lid stinks. It smells like boiled swamp and spinach water. Maybe some ripe farts in there too. But it doesn't affect the bud itself. Lecithin in oils is a game changer too.
  • John Cocktostone
    my mbm decarb box has that wonderful ass scent too. The biggest thing I dislike about mbm is the amount of air and fine particulate it creates. Other than that it is a nice machine to own.
  • BestBuds
    the amount of air and fine particulate it creates.John Cocktostone
    Very good point.
  • bulllee
    Lecithin in oils is a game changer too.BestBuds

Absolutely. I'm also real interested in the Nova for concentrates, I'm not sure on the MB decarb machine as I have only used it on flower. Right now I decarb shatter in a pyrex bowl in the oven so I can keep an eye on it. I like to use different types of marijuana for my edibles, so if the Ardent can do them all well then I'm ,in.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet