• VapeCritic
    I figured I'd start a new thread for my first official vape project :100:

You may have read about me wanting to build my own vape and I've been hard at work trying to make it happen. Welp, something happened! :cool:

This is a video of my heating element in a simple j-hook for demonstration purposes - ultimately I want to fit everything inside a small mod case like I show in the middle of the vid.

Check it out and lemme know your questions and thoughts :ok:

• AnVom
    A mech herb vape? Yes please

Here are some boxes if you're looking into them
  • Kuzko
    Wow, nice job so far! If u could fit that whole battery component and heater into a Sherlock pipe then you have the perfect vape!
  • Aj85

It looks great so far, It will be really interesting to see how it develops over time.

Would you consider building a version with a wooden body?

All the best,

Aj.
  • Bruce
    I will take one right now! Set me up Vape Boy!
  • PAM
    :up: :strong: looks good! probably would sell just like that !
  • juxt
    Really excited to see your unit Bud ;) I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Seriously though, everything you've said is something I'd want...session based, won't burn if you're not drawing, one swappable battery.

I also like the idea from Kuzko and AJ85 to do it in some kind of pipe body...stealthy.
  • Magicman
    42a1ajg6t7fqryl2.jpeg
    Attach all that hardware to a hat to make hat vape.
  • Ooziah
    The Sherlock Holmes look, LOL
  • Bruce
    That Would look cooler if you had two S & B Mighty's hooked to those tubes
  • AnVom

Strain central actually did that with a ccell palm and he about knocked himself out lol
  • FlameBeats
    Looks promising. Good vapor production. Keep up the good work and I’m here to test when needed.
  • Mturner7
    From what I've seen so far from your vape Bud, (in comparison to what's on the market) I'd estimate that I'd be willing to spend $160-240 (pending the final results). But it looks great, and I can't wait to try the final product. My hopes are pretty high after seeing the heating element.
  • VapeCritic
    Thanks for your feedback guys!!!
  • VapeCritic
    Question, is my logic correct here? I'm trying to make some electrical calculations and figure some stuff out...

Right now I know two variables: Voltage and Amps

I'm using one 18650 battery so my voltage is ~3.7-4.2v

When I hooked the heating element I built up to my DC power supply it draws right around 4.0 amps consistently.

So, ohm's law: R = V / I

Resistance = Volts / Amps = ~4.0 / 4.0 = ~1 ohm resistance

Now to calculate watts the formula is P = V x I

Watts = Volts x Amps = ~4.0 x 4.0 = ~16 watts

Does this look right??

Thanx!
  • VapeCritic
    I did a battery life test on the stream last night, test results are below, ended up getting 6 sessions from one battery charge but the last one was a little weak, so I'd say 5 good ones. I'm extremely happy with that :ok:

From what I understand about other portables is 16 watts on the low end?

The voltage numbers on the right indicate what the voltage was after that session, and it started at 4.15v.

This was with a Sony VTC6 18650 3000mAh 15A battery.

ujuw54p78xzqjxfk.jpeg
  • TheHulliCopter
    Is this going to be a stand alone unit or a 510 threaded attachment?
  • TheHulliCopter
    AHAAAWWW SHIIIIEEET its gon b LIT lol
  • Dazza78
    My thoughts for what they are worth,
    Firstly well done fella you built something that works and looks like your really enjoying the who process so if it comes to market or not it’s awesome, I think the clouds look good I think it’s very possible to get that in a unit, 5mins sesh time suits me if the extraction is on point and I don’t even mind the .2/.3 if I don’t feel it’s waisted lol so it’s coño dulce I’m stoned I’m gonna stop now lol well done it’s awesome
  • maidenmann
    your numbers look good. What temperature do you have in the chamber with this configuration? a 5min sesh generaly fits to me. If you are not on pursuit of "the best vape", I guess generic controlling boards could help you with that part (avoiding a tailored design of the circuit), the problem here would be the size.
  • Pakalolo2
    Looking good Bud. With those numbers and the extraction you said you're getting...I'd buy it!
  • LabPong
    Nice results Bud....just finished watching the live steam from the other day.

I would love to know how it tastes and is for smoothness compared to others like the MV1 and desktops like flowerpot/elev8r?

Also, try a wider normal J Hook....I have one like you are using...I do not like the small tubing used....the ones with a bigger thicker glass bodies allow for more smooth vapor I have found...but only using my Air and Argo. I would like to hear your opinions on just changing that work out.
  • Cmatz
    @VapeCritic

Lemme know when you start taking pre-orders. I'm sure your vape will be at least comparable to top tier vapes. With that being said, I'll buy your first vape, if for nothing else other than support.
  • BudsofWar
    interesting
  • TERRY1973
    What price range were you thinking about? I'd buy it ...
  • Kuzko
    Will you be able to charge it natively or do you have to take the battery out to charge?
  • Taz4101
    Your power calculations are wrong. Your heater was drawing 3a at 12v on the power supply Thats about 36w. At 3.7v its 3.7w per amp. You need to know your heaters resistance to calculate the power.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment