• VapeCritic
    comment from youtube, "looks like a Tubo copy..."

am i crazy for thinking, on what planet?

does anybody else honestly think this? you can tell me i'll only be mad for a few minutes :lol:
  • Baron23
    if your heater isn’t pulling high amps either on in-rush or steady state, then a higher amp battery wont be useful except to provide greater margin. That is, the battery won’t be taxed as hard.

Another way to think of it is that the commonly used word "draw"...as in how much current does a load draw...is not really accurate. Much better to think in terms of how much current a load of a given specific resistance will allow given a specific voltage.

So, I = V/R. You know the resistance of your heating element, you know your 18650's will operate between what....3.7 to 4.2 volts? So, you can figure out the max current you will see in your circuit.

More complex electronic equipment may also have a characteristic called in-rush current which is the peak current draw when turning it on. Usually measured in milliseconds, I believe, and is the high initial currents required to charge the capacitors, inductors, and transformers.

No, it does not resemble a Tubo. That’s a strange thought to me.
  • JonnyFrontrow
    I like the approach and the ease of simply filling, turning on and vaping flower ... and watching as it comes together - very cool @VapeCritic. But what I'd love to see is a PROJECT C the VConcentrator® for concentrates.

For Project A:
    • Charging port? YES if you want to reach the mass market. Don't matter if it's for more techie/unregulated types.
    • Battery meter? For the mass market a simple light to tell you good to go (green light) or needs a charge (yellow or red light) for the mass market - tho don't know how hard it would be to find an off-the-shelf item like that. Showing voltage (charge under 3.7) if it's for more techie types.
    • Stirring? NO stirring. Stirring is a PITA!
    • Tubo? NO
  • VapeCritic
    If I was to plug in a battery and leave the vape on until it ran out of charge... would it just die eventually or would it blow up?

Is over-discharging the battery dangerous?

I think I read that all 18650's have over-discharge protection built-in?
  • VapeCritic
    If I don't have a charging port is a battery protection circuit still necessary? What will it be protecting? Thanx!!!!!
  • VapeCritic
    BTW i know i sound like an idiot but this is how i work :nerd:
  • PAM
    There are no stupid questions @VapeCritic, better safe then sorry !
  • Trix
    And with that Why 18650 over 21700 batteries?
  • AnVom
    "If I was to plug in a battery and leave the vape on until it ran out of charge... would it just die eventually or would it blow up?" - If you are pulling amps beyond what the battery can handle, it can and will blow up. However if you're only pulling 7-10 amps it shouldn't be a problem

"Is over-discharging the battery dangerous?" - as bad as overcharging, screws up the chemistry

"I think I read that all 18650's have over-discharge protection built-in?" Sometimes
  • Baron23
    I'm not a battery expert by any means but there have been some guys who are and post on other boards.

So, I'm not sure but I don't think its the level of discharge of the battery that's an issue but the rate of discharge and if that rate exceeds the battery's specifications. For example, a direct short of an Li Ion battery would be the extreme of discharge rates and is why we all have to be careful to put charged batteries in cases or protective sleeves when not in a device in order to avoid accidentally shorting them out.

As for what protection is built into the batteries themselves....sorry, I don't have enough info to offer a view of this. I do know there are flat top and non-flat top batteries and that the difference is some degree of protection circuitry in the non-flat topped ones but my level of knowledge on this subject is very thin.

Please stay aware of safety and liability issues with unregulated applications of Li Ion batteries. It may not happen often, but catastrophic battery failures do indeed occur.
  • juxt

I agree with most of what's been said here (I think). Buttons on batteries don't contain protection, they are to establish visible polarity in applications where its necessary or to manage size requirements. CDR (current discharge rate) or C rating (mAh * C = CDR, sometimes) is what matters as Baron mentioned, if you exceed this expect it to go badly, sooner or later.

What is the minimum draw on your heater? At some point, even just sitting there not drawing the energy 'evaporates', so once you get below 2.7v consider the battery done. You don't want to try and charge a battery after that because that's generally when they are dead and won't accept a charge and may explode. Some battery chemistries are better for this kind of thing than others and I'll say it again, chemistry for the win. I don't want to give the impression here that no battery will suffer from a runaway over discharge either, but it is less of a concern with modern tech. Really good chargers will detect this and won't try to charge those low voltage batteries.

Generally, I would want a protection/regulation circuit in any product where through reasonable use an end user could experience a short circuit leading to a device fault up to and including explosion. Some people argue with that position, I'm not sure why, but any lawyer will be on my side. I'm not saying that's a good reason to be on my side mind you ;), just is what it is. Something that at minimum could prevent any kind of short to reach the battery, and I'd consider some kind of off timer as well....somebody is bound to buy crap batteries.

Final note, I totally agree with Baron things are going to happen in the wild and even if the math says you're in the clear there's a difference between what is possible or probable in a lab and what actually happens IRL. It's not magic though, it's chaos theory, or Murphy's law.
  • LabPong
    And with that Why 18650 over 21700 batteries?Trix

Cost,
    Size,
    Amount of 18650's most vapers have already and can then use with other vapes we have that need them.

18650-2170-compare.jpg

comment from youtube, "looks like a Tubo copy..."

am i crazy for thinking, on what planet?

does anybody else honestly think this? you can tell me i'll only be mad for a few minutes :lol:
    VapeCritic

Not even close to looking like a Tubo......someone was over medicated when they typed that out...lol

But one thing I would do if I were you right now Bud.....with your glass piece (jhook), I would put some buffer between it and the metal box. Maybe temp wise some electrical tape or something to be between the glass and opening hole of the case. You would cut down on the glass rubbing on metal and making etches or something that could be a problem later with wear or accidental breakage from it coming from a small scratch that got bigger and bigger.

You could still have enough gap to allow it to move some like it does now for a loose fit like you like.
  • VapeCritic
    Switches, meet Switchfets :cheer:

Fire department on call :ok: :lol:

2azlccblyouid28d.jpeg
  • VapeCritic

Thank you guys!

OK I think I understand, even though my heater may only be drawing 4-5amps continuously there is still the risk of the battery being shorted if something breaks, which I need to put protection in for.

There are also too many variations of batteries that people could put in, so there needs to be built in protection for that too.

Now I hunt for the smallest chips! :sweat:
  • VapeCritic
    And with that Why 18650 over 21700 batteries?
    — Trix

Cost,
    Size,
    Amount of 18650's most vapers have already and can then use with other vapes we have that need them.
    LabPong

On point :ok:

with your glass piece (jhook), I would put some buffer between it and the metal boxLabPong

You're right thanx!
  • juxt

Spot on, from my perspective.
  • VapeCritic
    Got it back together and working like it did originally :100:

I'm not touching this unit anymore LOL, this is getting logged as my first successful vape build, albeit a stupidly rudimentary and dangerous one :sweat:

HOWEVER, I'm going to use a 2nd case now and build a new one using the same style heater, just with a straight mouthpiece, a power button, and protection circuits :cool:
  • Illinois
    Keep it happening
  • Spammedham
    round of applause :party:
  • VapeCritic
    Hey dudes I'm thinking of trying to make a version here with a slightly bigger herb chamber, I feel like I want to vape more at once than what an ELB can hold (loosely packed).

I guess my question is this, does anybody here object to loading ~.3g at a time in a vape?

The more I think about this the more I actually want to try and make two versions: one model with a smaller bowl for ~.1g at a time, and one model with a larger bowl for ~.25g-.3g at a time.

Whatchu figure?
  • Mturner7
    I def feel you on vaping more material. As a semi-heavy user, I could def see myself occassionally wanting to pack .25g -.5g (at the very most). The way I see it, the smaller the chamber, the easier it'll be to tune and tweak the performance. While I enjoy vapes that hold more than .5g, more than that feels like over kill. I'd much rather vape 2 packs of .3 than a not so even vaped ( and need for stirring) pack of .6g. But the bigger version should perform noticeably better in comparison to the smaller one, or have a sufficient set of features to merit it being a high-end vape (which I'd predict will nearly be the case, even with the same design as the smaller version.
  • Baron23
    I guess my question is this, does anybody here object to loading ~.3g at a time in a vape?VapeCritic

If I have to load .3 g at a time for it to work properly, then yes...that's a bit much and is getting in the Volcano load area.

.15 - .2 g would be a sweet spot for me. If it can run down to .1 g well enough, that's a bonus.

I also think its easier to get full and even extraction with a smaller load. Remember....NO STIRRING! LOL
  • welshman
    I’m all about multiple 0.05g 1 hitters but will stretch to like .15
  • juxt
    I'm a pretty heavy user if it hasn't come across ;) .1 does nothing for me, I would want a bigger bowl area. I am going to buy one either way.
  • TERRY1973
    When access to material is nor so easy as going to a shop, than i'd say .2 is the maximum ammount not to run out of flowers in a short time.
  • VapeCritic
    Thanx guys!! :strong: :strong:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube