• Lucic and Chong
    With Canada legalizing recreational marijuana this summer, I thought that I'd start a thread to share info/news/articles/thoughts about it. I know that I'm not the only Canadian on here that's interested and excited about this. And I'm sure that our neighbors to the south (and all over the world for that matter) are also watching with curiosity.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/05/04/trudeau-pot-marijuana-legalization_a_23427135/

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/a-look-at-each-province-s-rules-for-marijuana-legalization-1.3894944

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/investment-ideas/article-marijuana-millionaires-are-riding-canadas-legalization-wave/

http://420intel.ca/
  • FlameBeats
    If only the U.S. was on board. Congrats
  • Beamer
    I ain’t convinced this is going to be as cool as everyone thinks it will be...
    Will be interesting for sure, impaired driving is going to come at a cost of people’s rights, I really am intrigued by how this is all going to shake out.

It is mostly good but we shall see lol
  • Futurevapors
    Loving it man. Away with the old, Hello new world.

Why is everyone so ok with Alcohol and Cigarettes being available on every street corner, I can see a guy smoking from where I'm typing right now?

What the FUCK, 500,000 people in America die every year from Smoking Cigarettes AND 49,000 of them are from second hand smoke!!!!!!!!!! But because we're all brainwashed that information just goes over our head. If Cannabis killled 50 people this year globally the world would stop and they would removed every trace of Cannabis from the earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cannabis 0 people die, But Jesus Christ we can't have people vaping it, NO WAY! Can you imagine all the issues there's going to be with people vaping it, the world will go mad!!

it's so frustrating!!! Deep down they are being so difficult because using Cannabis daily helps you to realise what is actually happening around us and in turn we will quickly stop letting the government tell us what to do, that's the real reason! You know we are all slaves to them and they don't want us to ever be free!
  • Futurevapors
    I truly believe no one should drive drunk or Stoned. We don't drink alcohol on the way to work so it's only fair that you vape when you're not planning to driving.
  • katdaddy
    Canada is expected to legalize it, but to say its a done deal is just wrong.
  • Lucic and Chong
    I think one of the things that's intriguing me the most is the differences between the provinces. BC, where I'm at, is very liberal. This just feels like a natural progression. We already have almost as many dispensaries as Starbucks in Vancouver.

Whereas Manitoba, not so much. They're adding a stipulation where municipalities can hold a referendum to ban cannabis stores in their community.

I with you on the driving thing, kinda. If it's legitimately medicinal, a person should still be able to drive. T3's affect me more heavily. But for the many where it's just recreational, I don't believe that they should be driving (even though I've done it many times myself, hypocrite I know. Not all MJ users are as experienced as the group on this forum.).

Where this will get really interesting is what roadside tests will be allowed, and what levels of THC they use. MJ stays in your system for a long time, so they must be very careful with any potential legal issues over that.

It's not done yet, but it's still on track for the summer. There still could be more delays, but I don't think there's any turning back now.
  • katdaddy
    Hope so. I have a few bucks invested in marijuana stocks.
  • Lucic and Chong
    But here's why this really excites me-

25 years ago I was arrested for simple possession of less than a 1/4 oz, hello criminal record. 10 years later, I was with a friend when he got pulled over, they scanned my ID, saw the record, and I was searched (of course I had some MJ on me). Once again, I was arrested for less than a 1/4 oz. 2 charges on my record for simple possession.

So for basically all of my adult life I have been saddled with the stigma of having a criminal record. I have missed out on employment and travel opportunities because I am a "criminal". My sister lived in the US for years and I couldn't even cross the border to visit her.

I traveled to Mexico a while back (one of the few places that I can travel to with a criminal record) and I almost got "the finger" on the way back in. I was stuck in customs for a couple hours while they were checking all of my photos, searching through my bags, asking a lot of questions, and basically invading my privacy.

I am excited for the future generations that they won't have this problem.
  • Gman
    Oh that sucks man!! I hope they go back and erase those records.

I WISH I lived in BC. It sucks in my province :(
  • Futurevapors
    yeah I mean when I passed my driving test I was 16, I used to go alone driving around stoned to the gills and my driving was shit because I'd only passed, what I love about it was the freedom and also getting home and comprletey forgetting where I had been, but the funny thing is I never crashed? So I do not think it's dangerous to drive stoned at all but I say we shouldn't drive stoned because if they make it legal I'm not going to tit for tat and I'll let them have that little no driving rule
  • To the Cloud
    Put all your money into Aphria , Canopy and Aurora, then sell them after they pop
  • katdaddy

Or, if youre in the US and dint want to trade in a foreign market, there's still choices....
    There's the index fund MJ
    Cronos CRON
    Drug companies GWPH, ZYNE
    The REIT(real estate investment fund) IIPR
    There's a bunch more too.
  • juxt

These three are traded on US markets: TWMJF, APHQF and ACBFF ... Sorry those represent the Canadian ones mentioned above, in US exchanges.
  • To the Cloud
    Canada is going legal so it will be better for Canadian Pot Stocks.
  • katdaddy

The ones I listed deal with Canada, not just the US. Also deal with Germany, Israel, and Australia.
    Canada is expected to go legal around July 1, but it’s not a done deal yet.
  • Lucic and Chong
    From everything that I've been reading/hearing they won't be hitting the goal of July 1, but it's still looking positive for late summer. It's sounding more like August/September.

But I'm actually quite OK with that, I never liked July 1 for the date. July 1 is Canada Day, no need to also turn it into cannabis day. Whatever date they choose will inevitably turn into a national stoner holiday (I really wish they could've done it on 4/20) and there's no need to combine that with our national holiday.

As Canadians there isn't much (other than hockey) that we get patriotic about. I'd hate to see our national holiday diminished because it's also weed day.
  • Heroin Batman
    nobodies brainwashed, everyone who's not a smoker or selling cigarettes, hates smoking. Also look into third hand smoke. When people come back from their smoke break and smell like a garbage can someone vomited in, you are actually getting those carcinogens too.

I think they should work to make second hand smoke harmless, and first hand smoke one hundred times deadlier. Then this will all just vanish in a few years.
  • Heroin Batman
    aurora is my supplier. They have to be the absolute best. Im actually cool with how legal it is. We have dispensaries and mail order in Ontario. And it's easy to get a prescription. They gotta bounce the liberals here. If they put this shit in the lcbo that's a joke. I was a problem drinker and had to stop, so now you want me and anyone like me to go to the liquor store to get it? Seems idiotic to me. Otherwise they want it in shoppers? Wait 30 minutes for 15$ grams? Those will be only choices because if they catch dealers after its legal they will throw the book at them like cigarette smugljng.

I vote for decriminalization not putting it in over priced Ontario chain stores or liquor stores. This whole thing and the news stories I keep reading. It's kind of a be careful what you wish for scenario.
  • Gman
    ya at least in Ontario people can grown their own. Imagine the people in Quebec. What a corrupt provincial government they have.
  • To the Cloud
    Yeah that was the same issue in Ohio a few years back. They wanted to make only a select few benefit from legalization. I think just like Craft Beer and Bud Light , the small growers will live harmoniously side by side with the bigger players.
  • Heroin Batman
    I hope you're right, but in Toronto it's turning into chain city, they just keep giving away all of the history. I don't have faith in our government
  • Futurevapors
    I say Brainwashed because I've had lectures off people about how harmful Cannabis is while they were smoking a cigarettes, and 500,000 deaths per year is a huge about of people but no one is looking at making it illegal, and no ones has ever tried to get them to stop spraying the Tobacco with 2000 chemicals, it's like they say what chemicals are harmful that we can spray on Tobacco, answer? fuck just use every chemical mix it up and they will be good?????????? Why is this ok in the world, because it's been going on for so long that we are all just used to what's ok and not ok, were in some kind of induced coma!
  • Heroin Batman
    its an example of how money means more than people to the powers that be. Cigarettes are like 75% tax, also a feeding frenzy of medical expenses in the end. I'm not sure about the effect of canibis smoke. I try to always vape, but I'll slide back into a joint or pipe here and there until I get some random mouth pain and stop again. Just two days ago I dropped my pipe Ina storm drain because THATS IT lol.

Seriously tho I hope so. Vapour is so much better for so many reasons.
  • Heroin Batman
    I don't know much about it. I've only been there once to buy cheap beer when I was camping by the border years ago.
  • Lucic and Chong
    Some positive news on the timeline. Politicians don't want to actually have to work though the summer, so this might speed it up a bit.

Senate could sit into summer to pass marijuana bills

Sen. Peter Harder told CBC Radio's The House he's made it clear to his colleagues that bills C-45 and C-46 must be passed before the chamber breaks for the summer.

"We will sit 'til it's done," he said.

"We have an obligation as a Senate to deal with the legislation that's before us before we take a summer break."
  • Rockytdogg

Sounds awesome! :up:

We (Massachusetts) voted to legalize cannabis a year and half ago and yet I still find it hard to believe rec shops will be opening on the July 1st “deadline”... this state is such a joke I have absolutely zero faith at all. There’s still plenty of time for them to fuck it up...
  • Lucic and Chong
    Amazing how many ex-cops and politicians changed their tune, all in the name of $$$$.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/cops-politicians-cashing-in-on-cannabis/
  • Lucic and Chong
    I'm expecting a very shaky first couple of years with this, but you have to start somewhere. Putting the government in full control isn't always the best option, but it's better than it still being illegal.

It sounds like in BC the BCLDB (liquor board) will be in charge of warehousing the product. From what I understand it won't be in the same stores as booze (which I strongly agree with) and we will have private and government stores, similar to how liquor is sold.

I'm really on the fence with the government warehousing. For the most part I don't really like it. But, this should also result in more testing for pesticides and toxins. As much as we like to believe that MJ is harmless, a lot of growers couldn't care less about the health of their buyers and only want bigger crops and more proftit. And they'll use whatever it takes to get there.

Where this is really going to get interesting to me is- what are they going to do with the countless dispensaries that are already operating and getting their product from non government sources. I'm guessing that some of the ones that have been collecting GST, making sure that everyone is of age, and generally not causing any hassles, will finally be able to go legit. But a guess is all that is.

In the end, I'm hoping that it will go like the liquor industry did. It wasn't that long ago that you could only buy booze from government stores. A lot of advocates are looking at the craft beer and wine business as a model. You can go to a winery/brewery for a tour, taste some samples, and buy some to leave with.

I believe that we're quite a few years away from that, but I think that's where this will eventually end up. Baby steps first, let's just get it legal and go from there.

I just hope that they don't F it up too bad. I've been buying from dispensaries for so long that I don't have any "street" sources anymore.
  • katdaddy
    The vote is less than 4 weeks away. June 7th is the vote with sales starting 8-12 weeks after that (if it goes our way)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment