• DarthVaper

You could leave the current course plate and make an extra course. Just thinking out loud. I’m still testing mine out.
  • Tdog420
    give me 1 or 2 days and i will give input on the course and fine plate. Im running at least a quarter through each to get proper feel for them and Consistency. A minor tweek in general i would say is to make pollen ball smaller. I love the ball but because its so big it can push particles up into the holes of the grinder and cause more build up in the grinder. ( love the grinder as of now)
  • DarthVaper

How are you using the ball? I don’t shake the grinder up and down. I roll it around in a circle or side to side.
  • Tdog420
    i roll it around. Part of my problem may be that i grind a lot at a time so im swirling the ball w a full grinder of product. I should test w less product in grinder and think that will help.
  • Trees138
    I think the ball is a novel idea, but I have already replaced it with a nickle. It seems to compact the nice fluffy product. It isn't really a problem, just a preference.

That is the only thing I can think to complain about. This thing is extremely nice. I like the heft, I like the tolerances and smooth operation. I like the medium fine grind I can get out or it with just the medium plate. I haven't tried to grind anything particularly coarse yet. I really love how deep the screen chamber is. The rounded design of both catchers is very nicely done as well. The lid has easily the strongest retention I have experienced. This thing is stout throughout. I am a good sized guy with pretty big hands, and i like the ergonomics of it.
    The larger size should be sweet, but this one works great in the hand, esp with how tall the design is.

I am not a grinder expert my any means, but I am really happy with the Herb Ripper.
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    here are some pics i took of the ripper coarse plate vs a large space case (still not as coarse as i would like but the most coarse grinder i have). The ripper is the pile on the left, the space case on the right. I would guess the holes on the space case are about 15%-20% larger than on the biggest ripper coarse plate. To be fair its a large space case so there is more room for bigger holes. What i look for in a coarse grind would be very close to hand torn bud, lots of little chunks of nug. As I mentioned earlier I actually really like the consistency I'm getting out of the coarse plate, its just not what i would look for when i want a true coarse grind.gq2v9ydohfm917u9.jpg
  • EconMan

That's a good point. To retool, it needs to be "worth it" and to be worth it your beta testers can't be outliers or "weird" -- else you would be bankrupting yourself with custom grinders for everyone :gasp:

The Coarse I suspect will leave most "coarse" users a little disappointed.... Most coarse users I suspect are wanting it a little chunky -- bigger holes are a necessity and this means less teeth of course (pun intended :) ).

Via micro-economic considerations, you want to sell as much as you can -- all three plates -- and you'll sell more COARSE *if* it is better differentiated from Medium (else, folks will just buy medium and grind less aggressively, until another grinder comes out that actually does Coarse "coarse" and then your fine and medium customers are at risk.
    Coarse is like a rare steak that is barely grilled; Coarse is barely ground. Just like medium-rare is closer to rare than medium (let there be blood), so too is medium-well closer to well-done (let there be dry gray meat). Likewise, Coarse is barely ground -- there needs to be a few more random small chunks. Coarse Grind = Incomplete Grind.

Coarse in my view requires the least possible destruction of the bud while still considering it "ground". Like with music in the notes you don't play, it is the grinding one could do but doesn't.

And that is the end of this episode of "Zen and the art of herb grinding" :joke:

But I do believe you got the FINE nailed down perfect. MEDIUM could be a hair's width less Fine, but that might be me. People who buy COARSE want "coarse" though.
  • Summer
    The Ripper isn't coarse at all, imo.
  • TreedMonkey

I'll let you know once I get my plates :up:
  • HerbRipper
    That’s why we beta test! I didn’t think so as well however there isn’t a set rule for what makes something coarse and what doesn’t. It’s all subjective.

The coarse now required no new engineering which is why we attempted it first for feedback. And now we have a base to work off of before going through all the engineering just to find out we need to change it again.

Everybodies input helps and is greatly appreciated.
  • EconMan
    The Ripper isn't coarse at all, imo.Summer

LOL. From now on, Summer is in charge of all my press releases. #parsimony :cool:

The coarse now required no new engineering which is why we attempted it first for feedbackHerbRipper

Which, respectfully, is not the best reason to achieve a form that follows function :100:
    But you would not be a good entrepreneur if you didn't try. Do something daring with this one. It is a secondary demand at best but within the submarket of folks like me you'll get an entire grinder system bought if they can get a real Coarse "coarse". The gap between medium and coarse needs to be considerably greater than between Fine and Medium. IMO, it is the sort of thing that doesn't bring you many customers, but it is also the sort of thing that keeps a significant number of otherwise customers flirting with other options and pushing them over the wrong side of that fence.

Or, make an "CoarseX" fourth option.... crank up the price a bit.... bigger holes, less teeth ... whatever the choice, you're so good I don't think you should be selling at the very limit of a Medium design, but rather should solve the important part(s) of the "Coarse" problem once and for all, and be beloved by brand-loyal personalities. Something to ponder. Consider I had NOTHING negative to say about anything relating to your fantastic product except the Coarse grind -- ironically, a most important variable of analysis for me. lol - fml :joke:

Beta partners do you no favor by being shy :nerd:
  • DarthVaper
    I also recommended just adding an extra course plate to the lineup. And like HerbRipper said, not everyone’s definition of course is going to be the same. Options are a good thing if it will also make sense business-wise.
  • HerbRipper
    Everything you say is correct but by producing the now coarse plate, I now know what I need to get to to get really coarse. For very little money relatively speaking, I was able to pretty much figure out exactly what I need based off of multiple opinions.
  • EconMan

Very true. And you have already made something amazing.... I love the grinder.... using it now :)
    I'm just a "coarse" man :)
  • ItsDoomy
    I'm excited to try out the new model. From all the reviews it seems really dope.
  • EconMan
    The ripper is the pile on the left, the space case on the right.SouthboundPachyderm

Thanks. It was good to have a reference. I should have included a pic of my SantaCruz medium in my own review.

Lastly, for those who say they don't like "screw" grinders, the Herb Ripper closes and opens in about a quarter of a turn it seems... can open it faster than a magnetic one. And certainly faster than my SantaCruz, which takes an eternity to open - lol
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    the quick turn is nice! Kevin told me he based the threads on firehose designs to get such a sweet threading.
  • EconMan
    Kevin told me he based the threads on firehose designsSouthboundPachyderm

Wow. That is just cool! :cool:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal