• Frosty1
    I've been using this unit for while now, having had the first one replaced. It's dialled in fairly nice, a bit of tweaking to go but very pleased with the overall performance. One thing I've noticed (which was the same with the first device) is I get a hotspot in the centre of the crucible - there is a tunnel of material that gets more vaped than the rest. Now the ABV comes out pretty good, it gets 95%+ vaped and the hotspot never burns the material but it does occasionally fall out in a small lump! The issue is the material doesn't get an even vaping because of this - dark in the middle and light around the outside.

I've updated to the latest firmware, adjusted the grind, packing, stem height and so on but nothing gets rid of it. As I said the performance is good so just wondering if anyone else gets this and whether I should be concerned?

Cheers.
  • metalmancpa
    I'm new to the MV1, and I do notice the herb does not get baked evenly. I tend to find similar results, and sometimes a few green specs even after I think the crucible is spent. I would think best results would be to stir after maybe the 3rd hit, but not sure if I'll do that or not.
  • MustB

Presuming you've tried a different crucible and lid I'm wondering what heat level you're using?

I'm using 4 at the moment, with the stem between 1/4 and 1/2 way extended, slow draw at first and then a little harder tug at the end (a little like pulling a bong), give it a stir when vapour starts dropping off and then repeat till done (maybe get one more half decent draw at this point as the material is mostly spent). The ABV comes out dark brown when I'm done. No hotspots or material clumping together.

Maybe the material you're currently using is having an effect?
  • Rockytdogg
    If you pack it full so that the very top edge of the material is touching the crucible lid, that thin layer often won’t turn brown... give it a quick stir and hit it again if it bothers you.
  • Gonzo
    Yes, I've found that a little looser pack in the crucible seems to burn more evenly. When I first started with the MV1 I think I was over packing the crucible and didn't get a good consistent burn to the ABV or good vapor production. I guess with a pure convection unit it doesn't help to pack it too tight (my opinion since I'm not an expert on vapes).
  • Baron23
    try putting the AVB into another vape and see what’s left in there. I suspect there will be little to nothing, few green specks notwithstanding.
  • Frosty1
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try out what you suggested. It's the hotspot in the middle I'm questioning - if that's normal then no worries
  • ZRN
    I know the MV1 is advertised as a no stir device, but I've thought I got more complete vaporization with a quick stir about mid way. Recently, I was outside with no pick tool and had one of those crucibles that dies out mid way and simply flipped the crucible around in the holder. Since then I've made it my practice to spin the crucible around after about 4 draws (when the cloud 1st becomes thin) and I've been happier with the session and the appearance of the AVB. I believe I get lower number of draws but each draw is bigger.

Z
  • okla68m
    I AM SOOOOOOOO LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING MINE... SIGH !
    TIME, ONLY FLIES, WHEN YOU'RE NOT WATCHING IT !
  • Frosty1
    It is the hype
  • okla68m
    I Realize there's "Hype" involved. Reasonably New (48+ years Combusting, less than a year) to Vaping. Already own a Daily Used AirVape XS, a Burl Maple E-Nano and an OG VapCap. All do their job, but, each have Draw backs, IMO. The "Hype" surrounding the MV1, if Indeed it Performs to that "Hype" is Exactly what I'm looking for. Regardless of how Finicky it may be...I'm the Only one gonna be using it. Been watching it from its beginning and was gonna get one of the First Ones, but decided to Wait, Listen to Others Response to Actually Owning & Using it.
    It's Time !
    BESIDES....BUD, MAKES A HELL OF A DEAL !
  • On-demand904
    Bk hsf up on GB on uhpoi8
  • ghost-ops
    Thanks to the above existing users for chiming in with their hints, tips and feedback - we truly appreciate and take on board every word of it.

The MV1 is designed to work without the need for stirring and we know from owners like @MustB that plenty of them achieve this; likewise we are aware that owners like @ZRN feel like a change (of some sort) mid-crucible is required and we work 24/7 on getting to the bottom of the reasons for the different experiences and ways to align the two perspectives.

Draw speed and technique can have a significant effect and @Frosty1 if you're now on your second device with exactly the same hot-spot appearing we'd be inclined to think this was at least a factor. Let us know how you get on with the suggestions posted as we value all the comments we get back as they all go towards improving the product.

Thanks
    GhostOps
  • juxt

I have found that the packing of the crucible is entirely responsible for hotspots in my experience. There's a lot that goes into it, grind and how dry the material is, etc....but for a hot spot, in general the hot air is trying to find a way through, and since pack of material has the most to do with the vapor path through the crucible, if it isn't generally all 'path of least resistance' then some will hit the flow and some not.

I see some folks talk about draw speed, and maybe that's part of it, but my friends and I rip the hell out of it and still have pretty good results.
  • Frosty1

Apologies if I wasn't clear, I meant this is every bit as good as the hype! I'm sure it won't disappoint, hope you enjoy it.
  • LabPong
    You will have to stir the load to get it even as possible. Anyone that states "you don't need to stir" is not telling the full truth.

Yes you can keep drawing and get vapor. But you can also stir some maybe 1 or 2 times in a 5-8 draw load.....and get more taste on a draw right after the stir, and even extraction of the load overall. Test it for yourselves.

Your material is also highly susceptible to this. A hearty well grown inidca will show you this situation very quickly.
  • ZRN
    There are a lot of variables, too many to think for very long that the vaping problem (not an MV1 problem) of uneven AVB will be solved for everyone with any one device or technique. Different manufactures have different solutions with variable results but because every strain is different and has different properties and each individual has unique characteristics to the way they draw on the device, this ideal (no stirring) will never be resolved for everyone. IMO

Z
  • juxt
    Agreed on stirring... As much as I might not want to, to get full extraction a stir is required every crucible for me.
  • Baron23
    How do you do that...those things are hot as hell, IME?

best I can do is use a hat pin to lift the lid and give it a gentle stir...but its not an easy vape to stir, IMO.
  • metalmancpa
    Each crucible I learn a little more. I think it's a finicky thing to get the crucible loaded just right so as to either not have tunneling or not have any leftover uncooked green specs. I am learning how to load loose yet evenly right to the rim of the crucible. That last 2 loads I had even/brown leftovers. I do not pat down with the finger because even that slight tightness created causes unevenness. I grind, and then scoop into the crucible with the grinder shovel, then use the shovel blade to scrape the top to make even so when the cover goes on it's fully loaded to the top.

In prior posts, this is why I say it's the only "negative" that I can come up with on the MV1, and that being the crucible loading process. My other vapes just aren't as sensitive to how the herb is loaded. It does not take away for my early love of the MV1, and I get a little better at it each time I load.
  • ZRN
    They are very hot - I had to learn patience - it will cool off. Often I take a break then and finish it later. It's not a social thing for me.

Z
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet