• juxt
    So, I've done a few runs with the SourceTurbo by ExtractCraft and in case anyone is interested here are some thoughts.

First of all, I like the unit, it does seem well made and I haven't had any kind of mechanical, electrical or electronic issues at all. The app works pretty well also, but sometimes if your phone goes into sleep you will have to kill the app and restart it to connect. I think Bud would like that it's totally out of your control you can't change anything (other than setting your altitude before you ever start extracting). The model I have does have a 'turbo' mode which in the videos the guy explains that turbo mode finishes in 2 hours vs 4 hours for regular mode. That hasn't been my experience, as the app times both modes out at 2 hours (120 minutes), and you have to adjust the timing by stopping and restarting the device just as it is about to finish. I don't want to make that sound too finicky, but I generally just run regular mode twice as the turbo mode is supposed to use more 'energy' in its operation.

Preparation for extraction is key with this device. There are different methods that you should use depending on what material you begin with and what outcome you desire, and there's probably more combinations of those things than I can list here but I will go over a couple of things that have worked for me.

It does a pretty good job at extracting the goo from ABV. I use methods to prepare my ABV as some others here by soaking in "Culinary Solvent" which is the only kind of 95% Ethyl alcohol I can get, for about a week. I vigorously shake at random intervals. I use a coleman cooler and some dry ice from Publix to cool it overnight after that week long soak. I strain it using a french press coffee thing off amazon with a super fine screen. Leaves the blackest looking alcohol you've ever seen, but if you shine a light through it at the edges you can see it's deep green. Run that through the source and oh yeah, you've got goo. It's not the best tasting stuff, but still not as bad as combustion ;) and while it's not as strong as fresh material, if you use it through flower with the FP or Sub it does add nicely to the experience.

For fresh flower it's just an amazing experience. Because you're trying to get a more pure output with the fresh material you don't soak it for a long time, so the method is a bit different. I use the same "Culinary Solvent" as mentioned above but I pre-chill both the flower and the solvent overnight with the dry ice same as above, but I put the flower in a ziplock bag this time and when they're cold I just pour the alcohol into the bag covering the flower and shake vigorously for a few seconds then back in the cold coleman. After 3 minutes shake vigorously again for a few seconds and back in the coleman for 2 minutes. After that shake vigorously one more time, cut the corner of the bag, then strain through a buchner funnel. I bought a 1000mL one, but that's actually probably too much i could have gone with the 500mL. Once it's strained just run it through the Source. The stuff that comes out is that LOUD. I'll say that it does depend on your starting material, but dang bro it's sweet. BTW, using this method you take the flower that didn't come through your buchner filter and refreeze and re-soak and run through 3 times. Second and third time aren't as good in material quality or volume but they are worth it.

So far I've had average yields of:

ABV - 1 quart tight packed purple hue mason jar (they rock) - 9-10g output
    * Note here, I don't measure my ABV, I just pour solvent in there until it's covered, but I do measure the output...the output here though is the stickiest of the sticky and in one case even stained my silicon alley pad, which is CRAZY, and there's a lot of this output that I just can't get and got so fed up with that I stopped trying. Keep it cold.

Fresh - 1oz high grade eucalyptus - 1st run 7-8g, 2nd run 5-6g, 3rd run 2-3g
    - 1oz 'whatever i can get' - 1st run ~5g, 2nd run ~3g, 3rd run ~2g

Final notes, I really do like using the device and the output in general. I like to squish for sure but this compared to squishing is like doing a pollen squish where you've done bubble extraction or something, and a lot less manually intensive. I can't wait to mix it to a vape cart and see how that goes, but using the SAI with the fresh material is incredible.

I just realized how long this post is, my only excuse is I've just been trying that fresh ;)

ipjarzcl56bly1zh.png
  • Bud

Pretty sweet man thanks for sharing!!

I just added in the link to their site and the pic at the bottom :100: :cool:
  • juxt
    Thanks bro!

I also took some in action shots:
    slujddn9qs3ok2ua.jpg
    ha16fehv5wzadrgv.jpg
    h4q2yekjox2tljsg.jpg
  • Deleted User
    This user has been deleted and all their posts removed.
  • juxt

Thanks man! The alcohol has to act as the carrier, so if the butter dissolves totally in the alcohol you won't get anything further out of extracting it. The reason it works with flower is that the alcohol washes the medicine off, then you filter out the flower, then boil off the alcohol.
  • Deleted User
  • juxt

Ah, yes, you can leave a tincture...there is a small amount of alcohol left after you run the process, if you stop it a little bit early, it's left with enough alcohol to be a tincture. Because it evaporates the alcohol, it's required to use a higher proof...but if you use a 151 rum in it for example, and run it through with no product in there, it will leave the water in the bowl and separate the alcohol for you so you have higher proof alcohol next time.

I'm not so sure about not doing a wash...when the machine is running it's keeping it at a vacuum and heating to just over 100F to evap the alcohol off. If whatever it's mixed with evaporates at 100F in a vacuum it won't separate anything, if you see what I mean.

So, base answer, yes you can make alcohol tinctures with it, but you have to follow the Source process.
  • Deleted User
  • EconMan

Do you still recommend this?
  • juxt

I highly recommend it for edible based extraction. If you plan to vape I would suggest also buying a vacuum chamber cheaply from Amazon. It helps pull the remaining alcohol taste when leaving it there overnight.
  • John Cocktostone
    Anyone doing a QWET method using one of these to make a clearer concentrate?
  • EconMan
    Anyone doing a QWET method using one of these to make a clearer concentrate?John Cocktostone

I think @okla68m does!
  • okla68m
    931w3giu1obemxiw.jpg
    1nvog3ikxg5o60x5.jpg
    1.74 gms from less than a 1/2 Oz of Sugarleaf trim....52 second 28° Ethanol wash. About 13% return, I'm sure I Left some, but, trying to Avoid the Green Goo from Chlorophyll contamination you get from Too Warm/Too much Time exposure of a solvent stripping the material too much. You Want to Wash the Trichomes from the leaf surface Without extracting/dissolving any Internal leaf material...eleminating/reducing Fat/Lipids being Also dissolved. The Purer the Wash, the More the Product resembles Shatter/Glass than Wax.
    I've NEVER used a Vac chamber to Purge...the Slow Cooker base I use to heat the Evap tray(glass Cake pan) causes the "soup" to evap at about 135°F for about 1/2 hour, depending on amount of "soup" to evap. I've Never noticed a change in flavor(Alcohol) from the Flower to the Concentrate....each seems to totally reflect the material it came from in Flavor. I can tell from the flavor whether it's White Widow, Tang or Cherry Pie(only strains ive tried washing) just like I can vaping the flower.
    NO WAY would I vape Any BHO product WITHOUT PURGING....I gave up suckling Butane when I quit using a Combustion Bong.....OMG, the 1,000's of cubic feet of that stuff I've inhaled over the last 50 years, sigh !
    FYI...It looks Much Darker in the pic than in person. The second pic was supposed to show the translucency by holding in front of the lamp, but, I Forgot to turn Off the Flash....MEDICATED, LOL !
  • okla68m
    I Don't use a Machine...it's all done Manually, by me. Having a "Closed Loop" to reclaim the Ethanol would be nice as Everclear isn't Cheap !
  • okla68m
    I Didn't mean to Infect this thread about the "Source Turbo", just responding to my name being mentioned.
  • John Cocktostone
    thanks for the info. I want to try this method
  • deep_meditation
    Juxt hasn't signed in to VL for quite some time.

Anyone else using this machine? I'm thinking about making FECO on my own.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment