• Magicman
    @Matty aka Matty
    I wonder where all that purple color went?
    :chin:
  • Magicman
    Is the silver one coated too, or is it just pure aluminum?
  • Bad Dog
    I’m interested in that as well, been lusting after a BCG for a while now but haven’t pulled the trigger. Now this report of chipping has me considered, the colours are really cool but if they ware out I’m less interested. At the end of the day what I really want is functionally first
  • Will90
    From the images it looks like the silver one is only coated/anodized on the outside. Inside looks raw.
    Still loving mine!
    x309zi0laot0h62a.jpeg
  • spider
    very nice, just curious, I'm looking at picking one up in the future, and I was wondering which size plate you recommend for a vapcap?
  • Matty aka Matty

I'd just get the medium plate. If you want a finer grind for some reason you can just dump the grinder upside down and grind for longer. The extra plates are a waste of money imo.
  • spider
    yeah, right now I'm going back and forth w/ the Storznbickle and a Spacecase grinder. I'm getting pretty good consistentsy with my grind for my Omnivap, but I really do need a three piece like the brilliant cut here in the future. I was thinking the fine plate would work better because of the vapcap being mostly conduction, but when the time comes I'm probably for sure gonna pick up a fine and medium plate for the sake of variety.
  • Terpenetime
    That is where the post in the herb chamber connects to the bottom of the grind plate. So contact definitely gets made there when connecting the pieces together... Which means that debris is going right into your material. There is also flaking on the herb chamber post, but it's not as visible as it is on the grind plate yet.Matty aka Matty

Your post persuaded me to clean my BCG for the very first time and take a good close look at it. It’s very nearly 12 months old and I’m pleased to confirm that it shows no signs of wear whatsoever. In fact, it still looks brand new.

I have not seen that yet on my onyx one yet. I wonder if different color or just different batches of the process might be more prone than others?LabPong

Mine is also Onyx Black
  • LabPong
    From the images it looks like the silver one is only coated/anodized on the outside. Inside looks raw.Will90

I believe that there is no extra anodizing on the silver ones. Not sure about the outside....I think its just highly polished. But after going back and forth with one of the contacts there, they mentioned that I would have to wait for certain colors to come back from anodizing.....but if I wanted a silver one...its always ready.

So I am basing it off of that. I probably would of gotten a silver one if I had seen the purple flaking off of Matty's.
  • Will90
    Yeah, if it's an issue with all of the colored ones, I'd prefer silver as well. If the issue persists, they should offer a version that is only colored on the outside and raw on the inside. That's what I'd prefer, even though it looks cooler when it's fully colored.
  • ScentNomad
    The silver ones are anodized just like any other color, only – without color. Not „raw”.

Anodizing is the process that is hardening the aluminum.
  • LabPong
    Time for titanium?
  • fatbiker
    Nice grinder :yum: I miss it.
  • Pud
    Maybe one got skipped over from the hardening process... it sounds like a more isolated incident to me. Stuff happens. Send it to them and they can investigate it, analyze it... I am sure they'll take care of it but include them in the loop.
  • Bad Dog
    I mean if it can withstand Bud level usage...... am I right? Probably a isolated case
  • Pud
    absolutely !! That's what I'm saying
  • Will90
    You sure the silver one is anodized on the inside? It looks like plain aluminum to me. Outside looks like a matte silver.
  • ScentNomad
    Yes; as I mentioned, all of them are anodized. Anodizing primarily means hardening aluminum by increasing the thickness of the oxide layer. Wouldn't make sense to leave the inside of the grinder unhardened.

However, you are right, it is plain aluminum. It might appear different on the outside vs. inside, but I suppose that's just the finish.

---

I'm not sure GFL would cover those issues for a warranty:

Disclaimer

The Refund Policy and Performance Guarantee do not cover damages caused by:
    • cosmetic damages, such as scratches and chipping of the anodized layer;

https://grindersforlife.com/refund-policy/

I think I saw a likewise issue somewhere on FC and it wasn't covered too.
  • Will90
    I see, thanks for the explanation.
  • Vapster707
    :chin: Hhmmm makes me wondering if they knew it would chip off ???
  • Terpenetime
    I'm not sure GFL would cover those issues for a warrantyScentNomad

I’m not sure either but if it’s an isolated case then GFL should certainly consider doing so in my opinion, regardless of what their warranty disclaimer says. That looks to me like wear caused by abrasion during normal use rather than a chip caused by an impact, which could be considered abuse or misuse.

If it’s not an isolated case then GFL may have cause for concern. I for one would not be happy to have slivers of paint in my weed! :100:
  • Cl4ud3
    slivers of paint in my weed!Terpenetime

It's not paint. I know it isn't just you and it's been said here a few times recently but this stuff doesn't flake off. If it has been worn down then that is exactly what it is, friction and wear, not flaking and not paint.

Not sure why people still have problems understanding this.
  • Terpenetime
    It's not paintCl4ud3

Whatever it is, material has been removed and it’s clearly gone somewhere... it can’t just evaporate.

I’d be interested to hear from other users to find out if this is an isolated incident or a common occurrence. Obviously this requires users to clean their BCG’s, which I’m aware very few people do as it functions so well with zero need for maintenance.
  • Cl4ud3
    I’d be interested to hear from other users to find out if this is an isolated incident or a common occurrence.Terpenetime

There was a report on it a year ago on FC from one user but I haven't seen any other reports of it again until now. Mine is over a year old and has no problems, I have all blue but that shouldn't make any difference.
  • Terpenetime
    @Cl4ud3 that’s an interesting video...

“With hardness second only to diamond... it will not chip, flake, peal or chalk”

If there are indeed relatively few instances of this occurring then it’s much more likely to be a manufacturing defect, which should be covered under warranty in my opinion.
  • ScentNomad
    If there are indeed relatively few instances of this occurring then it’s much more likely to be a manufacturing defect, which should be covered under warranty in my opinion.Terpenetime

I have seen these issues a few times and experience the same with my (onyx) BCG, although as I said I find the wear & tear on the pics from @Matty aka Matty being pretty heavy considering he would have „barely used it“. What I see on my BCG are small bare pinpoints on the centering pyramids of the middle plate, it's visible, but not a warranty issue and nowhere near what we see on those pics (literally lines of wear).

So yeah, @Matty aka Matty, maybe @Terpenetime has a point, it *is* not what we would expect, maybe you should write GFL about it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment