• KennyBosem
    Hi Bud & forum:

Hi Bud, can you please include a vape temp accuracy clip in the reviews?

I found the following review very useful if it is a legit review:

Battle of the Bowls - Vaporizer Temperature Accuracy - YouTube

If you decide to include the temp reviews, please test and compare a Boundless CFX to a S&B Mighty since i would like to know if they are similar in performance.

Higher max temp, longer sessions, price point and larger bowl size all make the Boundless seem to be an enticing upgrade; but the S&B seems more accurate and made of higher quality materials. I would be willing to purchase a new Boundless at a higher price point if it was made with better materials.

Thank you!
  • PuffItUp
    I tested both in college in a non scientific way. they both were off, but SB had a smaller +/- difference.

The mighty rips way nicer than the cfx. mainly due to the vapor quality. The vapor on the mighty is amazing. The clouds are a nice size. The heat up time is a bummer though.

The sb vapes definitely are made with better materials, for instance the plastic is PEEK (Polyether ether ketone). Distributors of this plastic claim a Melting point of 340ish °C (640ish f)
  • juxt

Offgas temp would be operative metric to look for here ;)
  • tripertronic
    Would not it be more intresting to see if you can hold the heat, for example, breathing in for a long time ...? For that you need a strong Heater.
  • KennyBosem
    "The mighty rips way nicer than the cfx. mainly due to the vapor quality. The vapor on the mighty is amazing. The clouds are a nice size. The heat up time is a bummer though."

I do prefer the wide chamber / low draw resistance of the Mighty compared to the more restrictive CFX; however, the CFX appears to completely rip the Mighty, and introduce some well deserved upgrades.

S&B should learn from the CFX; and, use it as a guide on how to improve a Mighty 2.0

For example:
    + larger capacity bowl (>=0.5g)
    + longer sessions (>= 5min b/c 2min sucks when the first bowl's heat up is 90 seconds)
    + higher max temps (>=420)
    + improved HD OLED

I feel performance and quality outweigh stealth.
  • KennyBosem
    "Offgas temp would be operative metric to look for here"

Yeah, I think the video tests for conduction rather than the convection heating method; but, it does show a wide temp swing with some vapes. It would make sense because I tested some of the exact vapes that scored poorly and the performance and efficiency were sub par to what i expected from a $200 device with good reviews. I returned the shitty devices thinking they were defective; but, i guess they're just really shitty vapes.
  • KennyBosem
    I could not buy a vape on the market today if i were to start all over and choose a single vape that satisfies all my vaping needs. I think there is a long way to go to improve even the best vapes on the market today. With new technologies on the horizon; such as, induction heating; I feel the best vapes today will be obsolete in a decade.
  • PuffItUp
    I disagree to be honest.

The mighty session timer is unlimited, either hit the button or draw pretty hard to activate the sensor they use.

The capacity is perfect for most people, though those switching from blunts might want the extra capacity

The screen on the Mighty shows you everything you need, and nothing you don't

The quality of the mighty exceeds the CFX. Most people would instantly be able to tell this after holding them side by side and taking 3-4 rips from each

The max temp... well, you're right, I guess that is a con. 410 is low, but it also keeps it under the threshhold for quite a few carcinogens that are introduced at slightly higher temps. Though, this is less (in general) than combustion. I tend to stop at 385 F now (Thanks altitude) so it does not bother me. My avb actually looks similar to avb at 400 F that I have from when i was at sea level. probably due to all of the compounds having lower boiling temps up here at higher elevation.

The CFX is a great device, but there is a reason SB hasn't had to introduce a new device yet. Their tech is still better than some of the new tech coming out, and the small upgrades they have done make for an insanely wonderful device. It's one of my 2 daily drivers. I always reach for that or an omnivap.

All in all while I think the CFX is an amazing device, and was my go to for bong rips in college, the mighty still has a leg up
  • Baron23
    Here is my issue with temperature readings on...well, I think all vapes I'm familiar with.

They do NOT measure vapor temp. They measure something...but its not incoming airflow or outgoing vapor temp.

Its actually pretty obvious if you consider it a bit as most vapes will show a temp when you are not yet drawing on it...right?

So, wtf is it reading. Well, the thermocouple maybe connected to a a heat sink or metal vapor path/bowl....its measuring something, but it ain't the air flow or outgoing vapor.

Let's take for example a Volcano. The Digit at least shows temp, the Analog has a temp sensing device (it is thermostatically controlled) but doesn't display a temp. In both cases, there is temp reading without the fan being on. So, they are indeed measuring the heat of the big ass heater/heat sink that's in there. Not the air....it tells us nothing about the temp of the air flow, generated at a constant rate by the fan, when it hits the load.

Let's take a portable with a temp display (so, not unregulated vapes like the Milaana...which don't measure anything really LOL). It again shows temp when not drawing so wtf is it measuring? Perhaps heater coil temp, perhaps metal airpath/bowl, really anything but the temp of the air that will be flowing over your herb.

Of course when you manually draw (e.g. Mighty versus fan powered Volcano) you will vary the air flow speed and hence the time for heat transfer and the resulting end temp of the air as it goes over your herb.

Now, the closer your heating element is to the load, probably the closer the air temp will be compared to heater temp...but it will also most likely be hot and irritating.

This is one reason why I think folks who pursue compound specific vaping by temp using those tables we have all seen, are fooling themselves a bit.

Getting a true instant (or damn fast at least) read thermocouple that will work to the temp ranges we operate at is not easy or cheap, I believe. I know I have an K-type thermometer with TC that I got off of Amazon to check dab surface temps against enail controller set points, and while it was affordable its also takes lots of time (couple of minutes at least) to reach final temp. Better faster ones fall into professional/industrial type equipment and are expensive.

Just my view of it...and its one of the reasons why, I think, the Analog Volcano, Enano (rheostat), and EVO (with analog dial) are still highly valued...because people recognize and accept that temp settings on these devices are a relative setting and not some absolute temp that your herb is seeing.

Cheers
  • KennyBosem
    "All in all while I think the CFX is an amazing device, and was my go to for bong rips in college, the mighty still has a leg up"

Yeah, the Mighty takes the cake and I love to use the CFX as my #1 backup; but, I think S&B should take $100 out of the $350 sale price and invest it back into their R&D department to come up with better improvements. The performance and the quality are top notch. Their return on their initial investment is way past the break even point and from now on they are pocketting 500% profit. People have been combusting cannabis for thousands of years and I have yet to hear of a single fatality; so it doesn't make sense to me to switch at the cost of a two month supply of medicine. I would stick with a CFX if you need a more affordable device with high accuracy and performance; unless S&B does something innovative soon and brings down the price of their decade old models
  • Baron23
    from now on they are pocketting 500% profit.KennyBosem

Proof? Production and operating overhead for S&B on the Mighty line is what?

Personally, I have no idea what their profit margin is.
  • KennyBosem
    "Proof? Production and operating overhead for S&B on the Mighty line is what?"

Sorry but it was not a fact, it was an estimate and I could be off a little here or there. Last time i checked this is still an open forum. I'm just stating S&B are very profitable yet they fail to evolve like every other vape corp. I don't know if it is because of the European business model or what; but we would all benefit greatly if they enhanced their products once this decade.

I estimate their production cost is around $70 for each unit beyond the break even point. $70 x 500% = $350. That number sounds about right but it was just an estimate.
  • Baron23
    Last time i checked this is still an open forum.KennyBosem

It is an open forum...you posted what you wanted to....and so did I.

Where's the problem?
  • KennyBosem
    "Where's the problem?"
  • KennyBosem
    The screen on the Mighty shows you everything you need, and nothing you don'tPuffItUp

it would be nice of the Mighty added a session countdown to the display
  • TheZman
    I always wonder how accurate the temperature settings on my Boundless CF are? It's a great vaporizer either way. I'd still like to know how accurate it is though.
  • KennyBosem
    I always wonder how accurate the temperature settings on my Boundless CF are? It's a great vaporizer either way. I'd still like to know how accurate it is though.TheZman

I don't know, but the CFX seems precise. To me.. my CFX seems to consistently and thoroughly cook the material. And if the CF is anything like it, the CF has to be one of the highest performing vapes for under $150. I tried the $300 DaVinci and it always got clogged. I tried the $300 Air II, and barely cooked my material or it cooked uneven. My CFX is built really cheap and it was returned to PoTV several times. Even after a couple years after i purchased it they never complained and they always sent me a new one.

BTW: The CFX would be a smart upgrade to the CF. Usually Planet of The Vapes has a black Friday sale with a huge discount and the CFX goes for around $130.
  • TheZman
    My CF performs amazing. It cooks the Herb so evenly its insane. I never have to stir or anything. I love it. And I can taste different flavors on different heat settings. I hear people complaining about these $300+ higher end vapes about how finicky they are and reliability issues and I just shake my head. I bought my CF new for $115 and I've had nothing but amazing results.
  • TheZman
    I forgot to add the CF and the CFX has the same chamber the main difference is the digital screen on the CFX and DC battery charging. Only reason I went with the CF over the CFX was I liked the smaller size and didn't t need a digital screen.
  • KennyBosem
    the main difference is the digital screen on the CFX and DC battery chargingTheZman

I'm glad you like your CF; but i really like to dial in the precision of the temp of the CFX.

Also the CFX boasts double the batteries and dual charging.

Did you modify your device? I use a silicone whip with a Mighty mouthpiece and it can also hook up to a 14mm bong.
  • KennyBosem
    I tried the $300 DaVinci and it always got clogged.KennyBosem

Note: I meant to say i tried the DaVinci IQ and it always got clogged.
  • TheZman
    I didnt modify it at all but I bought the Water attachment mouthpiece that fits on the end of bongs. Now I need to buy a bong. Lol..
  • KennyBosem
    I didnt modify it at allTheZman

The Mighty Mouthpiece works with CFX, and maybe CF:
    Mighty Mouthpiece Set

Ebay.com: Food Grade Clear Silicone Tubing 5/16

CFX:
    CFX-Boundless-WaterFilter.jpg
    MIGHTY:
    Vapor-Bong.jpg
  • TheZman
    That's pretty cool. The mouthpiece I bought is actually made for our Boundless CF and CFX. It fits right on and fits every bong size out there. You just hold your vaporizer right to the bong.
  • TheZman
    You can see the difference size ends all stacked up on it so it fits any water piece. And it even has 710 threads on the inside top.
  • KennyBosem
    You can see the difference size ends all stacked up on it so it fits any water piece. And it even has 710 threads on the inside top.TheZman

I have the metal adapters for both CFX and Mighty. One came with the Mighty I ordered from PuffItUp. I even ordered a silicone bong adapter for the mighty. I tried them a couple times and they perform great; but, they seem a little top heavy. The metal bong adapters seem a little awkward when they rest upside down with all the weight on the nozzle. I'm afraid to crack my bong. Now I mostly use the whip for the bong and for sipping. Its easier for me to just use the silicone hose and it only costs a couple dollars for a 6 foot section.
  • TheZman
    I still have to get a bong yet. I dont smoke so I never used one. But now that I can use my vaporizer I definitely want one. I think it will make it super smooth.
  • KennyBosem
    I still have to get a bong yet.TheZman

Check out ThickAssGlass dot com 9mm thick water pipes

They are heavy and thick. The bongs with 18/14mm diameter stems will work well with your adapter.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment