• JMH
    Why do a lot of people prefer quartz over borosilicate?
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    @JMH i dunno if boro is of the earth but quartz is i know a stone carver in another city my family and i are always in and i am curious about amythest and other semi precious stones for bangers
  • Cl4ud3
    Quartz is tougher
  • JMH
    Thanks
  • Baron23
    Quartz glass is NOT mineral quartz. It’s pure silica glass with no other elements or compounds added.

Borosilicate glass is Pyrex (first brand name, got some in your kitchen maybe?) which does have another compound added.

If you google it you can find out the details and the differences in characteristics.
  • JMH
    Any advantages of using quartz over borosilicate?
  • Baron23
    This is a quote and not my original writing.

There are many differences between borosilicate glass and quartz, either pure- or synthetic-fused silica types. The main differences are the percentage of compounds and the percentage of silica or SiO2 in the glass.

Borosilicate is usually in the 80% range, while quartz is over 99%.

Quartz is capable of handling much higher temperatures up to 1,100° C. Quartz is typically used for high temperature applications, or where optical quality or dielectric properties are critical. Impurities in borosilicate glass are measured in percent; impurities in quartz are measured in PPM.

Also, on the more technical end:

The main difference between the two is that Fused Silica is composed of a non-crystalline silica glass, while Quartz is made from crystalline silica.
  • JMH
    thanks for the info much appreciated
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube