• Gman
    I pressed everything fairly hot for my standard because I'm using just 4T and doing 6g at a time. I would normally go down to about 190f

https://imgur.com/a/DMJyvD0

Bottle tech filter style, of course. Only hand pre-pressed to fit into the plates.

23% on the BMR

15% on the M

17% on the romulan

Very tough call on which is the most tasty. I picked 3 winners this time around and I'm really impressed with the crazy flower and fruit tastes. Nothing matches good clean rosin.
  • Gman
    update after doing the rest. I think the kids say "fire" these days. I dunno, it's more like a soap explosion to me, lol. Insane taste right here.

After the last pressings;

https://imgur.com/a/Be16e01

YjXwPZl.jpg

MdaZ9p1.jpg
  • BestBuds
    I want to try them!!!!! :nerd: :up: :victory:
  • Gman
    in about a month I can take people up on such an offer :) And thanks!
  • VapeCritic
    Nice!!

BTW to make this thread a lot cooler you can embed those imgur pics, all you have to do is select the BBCode link when you click your pic on imgur, then paste those links in your comment :ok:
  • Gman
    ah yes, will do that for sure thanks!
  • Baron23
    Fixed it up for you :up:
  • Gman
    thanks! :)
  • juxt
    89949mr7mpru9r14.jpg
    Garlic Cookies, eucalyptus
  • Gman
    Nice!!!
  • EconMan
    I never can build up a great supply of what I press because I and my friends end up dabbing it. :)
  • EconMan

And I wanted to say this is just beautiful ! :)
  • Gman
    Thanks!! :)
  • EconMan
    I am relatively new to pressing, and have been averaging around 22% until suddenly today, I hit an incredible 31.8%. My first true Rosin elation :party:

7glsoiwor8a1lo3i.jpeg

I did two additional presses of the “puck” with significant but decreasing yields. This is the first.

8b19eillz211bp9d.jpeg

Should have took pics of the other batches, but I took a dab of the first batch and forgot to be scientific. :nerd:
  • Gman
    Nice!
  • Dr green thumb
    I like my rosin a nice golden color(very flavorful). Darker color rosin tastes burnt and tar like. Even from large growers they are just starting to catch up on rosin making. Lower temps and longer presses seem to work best for this. If you are watching your press it's good to have a timer and watch the color of what is being pressed out. Think of it like you are cooking pizza in the oven, you dont want to remove it too early as will be leaving product behind or going too long and its burnt.
  • SkepticalScott
    I'm seriously considering getting a Rosin Press. But I thought 15% was the average? 20% sounds reasonable but 30% seems Ideal! How much are you getting out of your re-presses? Cause Bud just throw his away after the 1st press.
  • Baron23
    Fabulous!

What strain did you press? And is this in a legal state and tested?? If so, THC % = ?

I have not gotten as good of returns as you but I'm convinced its the starting material.

Cheers
  • VapeCritic
    Squish from stream yesterday -

Scout Master strain
    200f
    3.45g nug
    .81g rosin
    ~23.4% yield

BUT, I'm starting to think my plates run hot or something, my yields have been too consistently good and also my rosin is on the darker side :chin:

D0Rd64nh.jpg
  • Dr green thumb
    I would agree that your plates are hot. If you dont have one a thermal gun is a inexpensive way to check your plates. I picked one up at harbor freight for under $30 also using a 150 micron bag may help. A 90 micron bag will yield better quality but give you less product.
  • EconMan

On my press I'm pressing in "Rounds"

Round 1: 200 degrees at 90 seconds
    Round 2: 220 degrees at 90 seconds
    Round 3: 224 degrees at 150 seconds
    I combine Rounds 2 & 3 but keep round 1 for its primo taste and transparency.

I'm still experimenting but I'm theoretically at least convinced the "rules" for small presses are different than large and/or expensive presses. The "recovery" time on temperature varies significantly I suspect? My plates are 2x3.
  • EconMan
    I'm seriously considering getting a Rosin Press. But I thought 15% was the average? 20% sounds reasonable but 30% seems Ideal! How much are you getting out of your re-presses? Cause Bud just throw his away after the 1st press.SkepticalScott

I'm a data guy so I keep data on my pressings. My average is right at 22% with not much variance, until this last batch of flower, I got 30+% across two 1.5g presses !!! It feels like striking oil :starstruck:
  • Gman
    Ok so here's the secret guys. Don't spread this around, it's cause I like you.

185 f avg temp, I never go up to 200, no need, lipds are all melted by 174f

Start by just bringing the plates down to slight pressure holding the puck in place and wait 30 seconds.

Then add pressure until you feel it push back on you, don't force it. Wait 30 seconds.

Now pressure again until you feel it push back, stop. Wait 30 seconds.

Repeat this until you are at max pressure, then hold it for 30 seconds to 1 min. Then for the last 10 seconds slam it down.

This prevents blowouts, allows you to press 6 grams with only 2T pressure, and get the best color wax you'll ever see. As I show above.
  • EconMan
    Oh, FYI. I didn't feel like cleaning out the dab rig, so I tried out the "concentrate pad" on the FireFly2, and I have to say I give it very high marks. A truely fantastic hit in both taste AND intensity and delivered economically. I've fallen in love again with the same woman. :starstruck:
  • Dr green thumb
    I'm a big fan of low temp pressing. The rosin at that temp is excellent, very flavorful and the effects are better imo. The downside is yield, personally I'd give it up but others only want the higher yield. The pics you posted are of an excellent color. Do you filter through a bag?
  • Dr green thumb
    are you pressing the same nugget three times?
  • EconMan
    are you pressing the same nugget three times?Dr green thumb

Yes. Sometimes four times, depending on whether it seems likely to be worth it. So if I press an 1/8 I'll divide it up into say 4 pressings. Then I put all the "1st Rounds" together into one storage batch. This gives me a large portion of what I really like -- light great-tasting rosin not overly heated or pressed. There is no burnt taste nor memories of plant material. So I do it "marginally", increasing the heat and pressure until all that's left is statistically insignificant waste given my tastes.
  • Gman
    I always use filters. I'm way past pressing dirty rosin these days :)

And yield will not be that affected, and getting green wax is not what I'm looking for. I do however press often at 195 to split the difference and get back 1-3% I may have lost at 180.
  • Gman
    dark rosin can also be cure/grow/cultivar. I pressed romulan the same way I pressed these other 2 and the color is very dark, not green, but dark. And the flavours are out of this world. So I should take back that color comment, it's not always a quality factor, sometimes it's a time factor of the flower curing time or just the cultivar.
  • Ctipp22
    Just picked up some Sky High Gardens Dutch treat rosin last night.
  • EconMan
    What strain did you press? And is this in a legal state and tested?? If so, THC % = ?

I have not gotten as good of returns as you but I'm convinced its the starting material.
    Baron23

Yes, agreed. My press was $200. With this flower, it will out-perform a $10,000 press using "parsley".

I don't know the strain for sure. It looks like a sort of "Where's My Bike?". It's clearly an indica.
    No, I'm in Georgia and I assume it came from the mountains of Tennessee. The boys over there understand prohibition economics. :)

Don't have any specific analytical measurements, unfortunately. Regardless, I can tell from experience the buds themselves are "sappier" (relative to the 22% average group) and that can be the only non-random explanation.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment