• Gman
    Unless my math is off, or you miss understood, but 8 Tons is around 18,000 PSI

I end up with a puck about 2.5 inches, you square that and get around 6 inches squared, so 18,000 / 6 = 3000 PSI

I'm going way overkill but I can get this high without blowing the filters, so I do.
  • Hapo
    ...1st press I don't squezz quite as hard, the 2ed goes right up to 2500 psi...
    Assembled, cleaned(it was as clean as could be, the press and the SS puck maker had zero machine oil, my iso pads came out totally clean) and first press.
    Started with a cbd strain “Mystery 98” 16% cbd 0.53% thca. Scratched through the parchment paper and left maybe .02 on it and maybe more on me, lol.
    qae2lc9to5q4mshu.jpegieo6g3lufkuuv3az.jpeg
    2sch20uzusutbe4g.jpeg
    j46nlaxcutjfww5b.jpegcixim0plhb9s9tj8.jpeg

Second press Colombian Gold. Went a little better and did much better getting it off the paper. About to dab this soon. Vrod or Carta?
    xolmiww6oj1fhm3v.jpeg
    2dfhsyo8qwapkywv.jpegxs9y985d09qm1tbi.jpeg
    2bdbznpnqspfh5sq.jpeg
    Pressed both at 190° for 3 minutes after a 30 sec warm up.
  • EconMan
    I have pressed enough bearings in and out over the years so I hope it gives me a quicker learning curve on feeling the pressure. In fact I have a 20t press in my garage and almost went for the 3x7 cage kit(I still might) but I I don’t think I want to press in the garage and really don’t need or have room for it in my herb cave.52

Yeah, that's why I did not go with the "workbench" models, but rather wanted something self contained I could store in my closet and take out and use in my bedroom if desired.

If you've pressed anything before, then I do think it gives you a heads up on the process.
    EDIT
    I see you just posted your "first fruits"! :cool:

3000 PSIGman
    Damn dude! :gasp: That's some serious pressure and much higher than I go. You blow out many bags?

All the pressure I could give it at the end. I figured it blew out because it was my first time folding the bag. Is looser or tighter better? 120u bags were used btw. obp2u1yx732shjfa.jpeg
    Zero blowout guarantee, lol
  • EconMan
    All the pressure I could give it at the end. I figured it blew out because it was my first time folding the bag. Is looser or tighter better? 120u bags were used btw.52

There are many "right" ways to do things. I tend to avoid the pre-puck making followed by mesh wrapping tech.. it isn't wrong, just not what I'm used to and comfortable with. I like stuffing the entire bag (else just buy mesh tubing) and "planning" out where each micro bud goes within that bag. I get it all "pre-pressed out with my fingers (I prefer using my fingers to a prepress). I want the bag tight and firm, yet still with room between the bids to be squished together without busting the bag. About six months ago, I switched to Press Club bags, because they were better and cheaper to what I was using.

When I make say a 5g squish, I'll use a 1.5x4 bag but I squish it flat style. Re the micron level, I think 120u is a good general rule. It's a nice "middle choice". I tend to go a bit higher in practice - 160u - on regular bud. Sometimes I'll use 120's if the flower is rather trimmy and leafy. IME, going lower than 90u on regular flower is a waste for most folks, as severe diminishing returns set in.

This is the beauty of squishing. It is an art form actually. In contrast with BHO blasting, there really are CORRECT ways certain things should be done, and with respect to safety, the way some things MUST be done....
    With Rosin squishing, the parchment is your canvas.
  • Gman
    Ya if you pre-press then filter you need to leave more room for expansion. And if you press to hard too fast you'll blow your bags.

Also I find I get much smaller yields from CBD bud. It's always got that cherry taste too.
  • EconMan
    All the pressure I could give it at the end. I figured it blew out because it was my first time folding the bag. Is looser or tighter better? 120u bags were used btw.52

If you're going to use Bottle Tech style, then your "folds theory" is you need enough material on the end to fold under like an xmas present, knowing that every mm of extra material lowers your yield. I do NOT have good experience generally speaking by pre-pressing BEFORE bag stuffing. Putting a puck inside of a bag -- I know some like this -- in my experience is a recipe for a less-than-optimal squish. You see the puck now is already somewhat compressed and then you're going to wrap nylon around it and then compress it some more. So you're compressing something already compressed. I only make pre-pressed pucks anymore when I want to squish a few nice nugs WITHOUT a bag.

Bag loading. If you have too many "air pockets" because your bag is packed too sparsely, then when pressed you'll see pools of oil just "trapped" inside your bag. Pack it too tightly and as the squish progresses the law of physics will blow out the bag.
    It sounds corny, but planning out where you want your oil to flow is near Zen like. If you want your oil to flow forward, then put the seem in the back. Some folks go to incredible efforts to arrange their parchment paper in some VERY creative ways.

All the pressure I could give it at the end.52

I think this is a "man thing". More pressure = better :nerd:
    At some point (I do not know what it is) more pressure actually hurts the squish. If you gave that relatively tiny puck "all you could give it" then that's almost certainly too much.

Your puck looks around 1" in diameter (half-dollar size) so the math is easier. 1" diameter = 3.14 sqin. Your press goes to 3*2000=6000 pounds ... wala.... 1910 psi :nerd:
    That is fucking high-pressure IME for Rosin squishing.

That said, blowouts happen. Not the end of the world. Mostly inconvenient as one "picks" the plant matter out of a portion of their squish.

Also I find I get much smaller yields from CBD bud. It's always got that cherry taste too.Gman

Fascinating. Never even once squished any CBD. You use roughly the same parameters?
  • Gman
    Yes but it's either the variety I've squished or they just juice less.
  • Baron23
    @Gman @EconMan , et al

fucking at last. Haha

Birthday Cake, about 30% THCA.

Yield on first squish was 26.9% and I know how to tare a scale.

Second squish was negligible but worth doing. It’s that little dab on the right.

Color not shown that well in pic, in reality it’s Carmel colored

Also, a bit sticky. More pull-pull than pull-snap. Not sure what to do about that but will pop in the fridge.

Squished bare bug in paper. No pre-processing.

200F w 30 sec preheat, 2 min squish slowly using pressure until I had about 1,500 psi on the puck.

3qha7aj6y6crts88.jpeg

I like it. I believe that in general I have been using too much pressure (and maybe heat) and driving rosin into the paper and perhaps boiling some off. That or maybe this is my magic strain to press. I def getting better results with indica types than sativa.

I squished some Sour Tangie the other night. Def sativa like effects but it was a fairly dense and well formed bud. But wow, I was able to collect it but just barely. Came out very dark and oily....PIA to handle but wowser...the effects were outstanding!! Didn't taste that good...very sour....but it packed a punch. With that strain, I would def go less heat, less pressure, and less time.

One of my challenges is that I have a press good for squishing half ounces while I mostly squish just for personal use. The rub is in the BVA pressure. Its a 10K psi hydro cylinder and I would wish the gauge to be higher resolution so I can see better the pressure being put on when I'm really operating in the 1K psi on the gauge range. I mean, the gauge is good in that it goes up to 10k, but I would prefer an expanded scale for lower pressure pressing.

I know I can find another gauge, but while I know there are ball check valves in the hose connections, I don't think there is one on the gauge connection which would mean draining the hydro fluid out and replacing it....no, don't want to do that.

Next highest was one squish of 20%, but this is the first high yielding squish that I really felt in control of and I'm happy with both qty and quality.

Cheers
    Nice @Baron23!

To give people perspective on the size of the Dabpress 3 ton. I honestly thought it was bigger, I’m glad it’s not, it’s perfect as is for me.
    In a closet and in front of my vape cave couch
    jwaka7keiwlc9ivi.jpeg
    ebn911oc05zcgdgv.jpeg
  • Gman
    looking good man, gratz!! And I"d go even lower, like I NEVER squish above 190.
    200° for 3 minutes. 2 gram puck of Northern lights, lightly prepressed just enough to stay solid enough to get in a bag. 10% :sad: I got .76 from 3.5g of Durban poisin at 180° for 4 minutes earlier.
    uszejyjuzg762umq.jpeg
    c6f7egmyeco931je.jpeg

2x4l86dtfn96j8rk.jpeg
    y8jaifdo44dzyllz.jpeg
    Attachment
    A5C3AEFE-4AC2-491E-9013-A60B9C8BD875 (108K)
  • Gman
    I have northern lights clocking in at 12% yield as well, so I don't think it's a big juicer. It's too bad because it's a very nice rosin.
  • EconMan
    That or maybe this is my magic strain to press. I def getting better results with indica types than sativa.Baron23

Looks good. Yeah, you have a heavy duty press... designed for oz's. Too much pressure starts to hurt the squish.... I try to not go over about 1000psi max.

I *think* everyone has better success yield wise with indicas in general that sativas in general. I do.

10%52

Not bad. I get yields like that with some weed. I've stopped caring/measuring mostly, but I'm averaging somewhere I guess around 18%'ish. Sometimes I'll get 25, sometimes only 10, but 15-20 is around the norm. It's all about the weed.
  • Baron23
    I'm so glad you like your Dabpress!! They really have the right product for the right price. I love my NV press, and yeah all American manf, but Dabpress makes a great product at an more affordable price and that's hard to argue with.

We have discussed this many times and I fully agree.....the goal is not just yield but rather quality and its not at all unusual to get mid teen returns.

But fuck....I wanna know how all of those folks were getting mid-20's with their wife's hair straightener and a Craftsman bench vice! hahaha

So, I got a good return and that satisfied that particular itch.

I do think my tech has improved some....again, mostly over pressing it. But I still think the key is the bud...then the bud....then the bud! haha

That fresh pressed rosin, with less time/temp/esp pressure yielded a much more tasty rosin.

And I will go lower on temp with this Birthday Cake next time and see if I can get a more buttered up consistency.

Have a great day, guys.
    Might I ask how much material some of you go through in an average day? For the last week I have been using 4-6 4mm pearl size dabs through out a 24hr period.
  • EconMan
    But fuck....I wanna know how all of those folks were getting mid-20's with their wife's hair straightener and a Craftsman bench vice! hahahaBaron23

Fish stories! :rofl:

Might I ask how much material some of you go through in an average day?52

I'm 90% concentrates and 10% flower the last several months, so ignoring flower use, about two g's a week.
  • Gman
    I go through about 1 gram every two days of rosin.
  • EconMan
    A fresh batch of Key Lime Pie.
    175f for 3.5 mins. 160u bag-flat full-plate style. Came out like shatter.
    Will Dab it soon. :nerd:

zs3phpmrnkmh2jff.jpeg
  • Hapo
    Might I ask how much material some of you go through in an average day?

— 52

...um...no...!!!...
  • Baron23
    Oh, I'm a lightweight....need to talk to @econman or @gman"
  • EconMan
    Oh, I'm a lightweightBaron23

Except, vaping flower has sadly lost some if its joy. :sad:
    Hard to compete against a well-done dab. :starstruck:
    And with tolerance, the Red Queen expects me to run faster :worry:
    Supply and Demand is reality. :death:
  • EconMan
    A fresh batch of Key Lime Pie.
    175f for 3.5 mins. 160u bag-flat full-plate style. Came out like shatter.
    Will Dab it soon. :nerd:
    EconMan

Ok, Just dabbed it! :starstruck:

The melt and taste is perfect. :yum:
    The "larger micron" bag (than I'm used to) did all I wanted it to. I swear this stuff could pass for shatter in cool weather. I think this variety of flower works well with the automation of the DW6000. This is where better equipment makes a productive difference, as I'm unsure if I could have have really done this ecologically with my M800? I can tell this flower needed a sloooow ramp-up on the pressure with a surge at the end, and I am often impatient in this regard. lol
    psi was ~1000 at final stage.
    Haven’t tried it this way and doubt its needed or even worth tilting for eighths but wtf I’ll give it a try.
    qp8pn4u1aykcpd8m.jpeg
  • Pud
    when you do tilt it it helps keep the rosin from scorching and turning that dark color by getting it away from the hot plates as soon as it’s enough to ooze away just a little
  • Baron23
    i never squish enough at a time to get a real flow so drip tech doesn’t really work for me.

But as soon as I’m squishing zips.....haha
  • Pud
    really? I get some drips with 4g that I prepress slightly but I don’t use the bags as I don’t want that sweet rosin getting left behind in that bag material. But I’m only going to 1750psi taking about 1:30 to get there and going 3:30-4:00 total. If I stay at 1750 I get a puck that’s dry and hardly any plant material (if even any) in my rosin. But I’ve pressed a buttload in a short time to figure out my press.... lol!
    ATTENTION:
    Bottle jack press owners, do not lay your presses horizontally like this to drip. I have been informed by Dabpress that bottle jacks are not designed to be operated completely horizontal, that’s why they purposely only angled their 3 and 6 ton bottle jack presses, not horizontal like their cylinder jack presses. Live and learn.
    tvs2tl0zjvqbupn7.jpeg
  • Pud
    What’s the problem using it horizontally? All the jacks I get even from harbor freight can be used vertically or horizontally. Never would have guessed it’d be an issue.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-ton-hydraulic-heavy-duty-bottle-jack-69472.html
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment