This is what I have been advised.
    6xl43r8cna9i3fez.jpeg
    h0iu6rv1c0sv5f0o.jpeg
  • Pud
    that’s interesting.... he should know the pieces and parts they use...
  • EconMan
    when you do tilt it it helps keep the rosin from scorching and turning that dark color by getting it away from the hot plates as soon as it’s enough to ooze away just a littlePud

I hear this from folks but I dispute its theory in most situations. I select bags *almost* the size of the plates, this is the best tech I've found to avoid parchment scorching. When my oil is squished out it flows 360 degrees out onto cool paper, not hot paper on even hotter plates. Turning the press sideways would defeat that 180 degrees of that design and end up doing the very scorching that is wanting to be avoided.

But I’m only going to 1750psiPud

ONLY 1750psi? :scream:
    That's about 1000psi more than I tend to go. :gasp:
  • Pud
    so directing the rosin using mr gravity is a problem? That’s interesting. And if you don’t have a gauge, have you at least used something like plastigauge to compare a known amount of pressure (via someone with a press and a gauge) and compare yours to the known plastigauge squish size to verify your assessment of pressure? Just a thought as my gauge could be off a little and your assessment off a little.... just a thought
  • EconMan

Not necessarily a problem but certainly can be a problem. Very true.
    In a "rectangular" flat bag squish as I like to do gravity is something to be levelled, equalized across height and width, with the goal to "push and attract" honey outward equilaterally (it "runs" from the heat"). Hence, gravity is always a problem -- the ideal for me would be a squish in outer space. lol
  • Pud
    LOL!! But until you get invited by Elon to hitch a ride to do your squish...
    I just don’t agree with the premise that pushing out equally in all directions on a flat plane is superior methodology. Maybe I need to bring mine and we have a squish party?? :joke: :cool:
  • EconMan

I'll do near anything in the interest of science :nerd:
  • Gman
    if you guys just squish at 180 like I always say you wouldn't have to worry about it being on the plates an extra minute. :)
  • Pud
    lol!! I agree... I’m going to try180 next (have to get more product) and play some more with pressure/time. When I was at 200 it was sooooooo sticky I could hardly work with it. At 210-220 it was much different and much much easier to work with and I couldn’t discern a taste difference. But I’m not a connesseur either. So I’m excited to try the lower temp spectrum and see how that goes. It’s still a learning process for me. So many combinations.... do you find different temps give different textures?
  • Gman
    100%, if you want cake batter you need to hit it low.
  • EconMan
    if you guys just squish at 180 like I always say you wouldn't have to worry about it being on the plates an extra minute. :)Gman

LOL :razz:

When I was at 200 it was sooooooo sticky I could hardly work with it. At 210-220 it was much different and much much easier to work with and I couldn’t discern a taste difference.Pud

Generally speaking at the relevant temp spectrum, the hotter the temp the greater the "yield" and the lower the "taste" and other quality metrics. Some folks go in at 220f and their argument is they seek to maximize output and they find collection to be faster and easier. I find so often find that nasty although some do seem to pull it off somehow.
    I myself had some strange weed once (GDP) that took a lot of extra heat, but I reduced the time and it worked out.

Yes, as Gman already alluded to, the temp will somewhat determine the texture achieved. If you want "shatter" like rosin then higher temps are often a strategy, but if you want that translucent "budder" or "crumbly" cake batter you can't get too hot.
  • Pud
    I also am taking some of the puck and vaping/eating a bit to see how much is left behind just to know what’s going on. I’m willing to sacrifice some yield that’s not my goal as seems some get lost and end up messing it all up trying to get every last drop. And I def share your sentiment.... for science! :joke:

What are you vaping the puck in?
  • Pud
    I’m cutting it up real good and putting it in my omnixl... why I’m pumped to trade for a ff2+ as it should be a lot quicker/easier... hopefully
  • EconMan
    My pucks go in the trash. I've found little net utility in them.
  • Pud
    haha!... I’m not vaping/eating it all, just a test sample.., I’m still learning... unless I didn’t squish hardly anything and all the rosin is still “in it”. Then I’m keeping it and cutting it up with my snips.

I remember when I was a kid taking pipes apart to scrape every last little bit of resin... def not desperate enough to prick around... trash is def trash and I use abv/pucks for soil amendments for my flowers
    @EconMan(or anyone else)
    Ever run your herb through the Herb Ripper coarse plate and squish it?
  • Gman
    ya don't do this, it'll make super dark dirty rosin. Maybe if you do it fresh it won't be so bad, but cutting up all that plant matter will make it juice gross garbage like chlorophyll into your wax. Not sure why but it's always been bad when I've done this. You can press dry sift, sure, but not chopped up leaf material.

If you get a different experience please report back.
  • LabPong
    Yea I saw your pic and was going to say something...good thing you were alerted to it. Press on!
  • EconMan
    Ever run your herb through the Herb Ripper coarse plate and squish it?52

Like Gman said, this is not a best practice. I thought perhaps the bag would fill better with ground flower. It did but it did not press better. I even tried grinding and then making a pre-press using a mold. Not good. Seems we want to agitate the bud as little as possible.

Grinding first seems to not even be a good thing with BHO I've found.
  • EconMan
    This was a nice squish. And what is the Round-plate" little Nugsmasher on the table? Seems would be perfect for single bag Bottle Tech? :starstruck:

FYI. for my "cold plate" I use a ceramic tile. $3 home depot.
  • EconMan
    Speaking of "tilting", check out the new offering from Dulytek.

• Pud
    @52 woke up to the noise of dabpress heads popping all over the universe... in 2019, you CAN lay a bottle jack horizontally... just not theirs :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    And hats off to dulytek as that is a simple set up... very nice

Well you can tilt it after it’s pumped like that I guess, just not supposed to pump it like that. It has to do with the fluid level and I’d bet if you pump a bottle jack horizontally with the pump on the side or bottom it would be fine, just not with the pump side facing up. Again, just my theory.
    Sorry for back to back but I can’t edit my above one.

What brand bags do you guys recommend? I have Press Club and the seam is thick. I’m sure it’s for strength But hard to invert the seam side corner, are all brands like that?
  • EconMan

Press Club is what I use. They are "stiffer" which is just *my* preference. I find them easier to work with and to attain effective "minimal folds". Pure pressure makes a great bag and is not stiff at all. More $ than Press Club though. I look at bags as abatements (insurance). I'll spend a little marginally to get what I want over time. I used to use Pure Pressure (great bags) but switched to Press Club six months or so ago. I've had great success with them, usually their 120u's. And they are less expensive, but that was not why I switched.
  • Gman
    The original nugsmasher mini I had was the round plate version. I traded it up for the OG 12T with square. Round was ok but not great for doing hash presses where you really want directional flow.
  • Gman
    Back on track!! My buddy grew some cookies kush and gave me an O to play with and see what I get. Well 6.2 grams later (22% yield) and I got this spectacular wax.

7 grams at a time. 180f, 4 min total. 1 minute hold at 25%, then I make it taught but I can still see the bag with about 4 millimeters space. Then incrementally every 15 seconds I make it taught. At 3:30 I max it out to about 8-9T and leave it for 30 seconds. Then I give it once more for good measure and to add space before releasing pressure.

Right off the press:
    hwg1fgat5vwnj4q8.png

This is before closing for the night:
    efhe42c3c1wkt8gd.png

And this is 24 hour cure later:
    cb3snkkpkaizrt6a.png

SO YUMMY
    Overnight at room temp or chilled? Looks great! I wish I needed more rosin so I could press something, lol. It’s going to take me a while to go through what a just made.
  • Pud
    looks sooooo soooo delicious!!...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube