• LabPong
    Looks nice 52....how did it collect?

Real nice but the sugary crystals melted into a soft pull and snap like the rest. If it ever comes out like that again I’ll dab some right off the parchment. I had some come out like butter and turned into a nice crumble but I couldn’t replicate it with the same strain and batch. Must have been just the right time, heat and pressure combination and got lucky.
  • EconMan

One of the difficulties in squishing is in replication. Replicating at will "great successes" has proved elusive to me. Even with the more expensive press -- that one would think should be more measurement consistent and therefore replicatible? -- this hasn't been the case for me.

My best description of my squishing journey has been a Random Walk with Drift where the "drift" is my expertise which does produce a upwards trend. Volatile, but nevertheless upward.

Mathematically, perhaps what makes it so unique? :cool: No matter how good I get at it confidence is relatively low and happiness is very high when it goes well. In contrast, BHO is like McDonalds, one knows with high certainty exactly what they are going to get before processing. But squishing, is like a a street food-cart vendor. Every squish is a snowflake - unique. I've even tested it. Even with my DW6000 electric automatic which arguably CAN replicate the settings and even he pressure, I can't replicate closely results and outcomes.

That said, it is probably true I tend to squish at lower pressure and temp but for longer, compared the the average squisher. Hence, deviations in temp or pressure would be a higher relative percentage of total for me that those who use higher temps and pressures.
    Could be nothing. But it is sunday. Just returned home from a hike with my cat. Literally just took a dab before replying to this, and it is fun to think out loud :nerd:
  • fatbiker
    Do any of you that press rosin do anything particular to the rosin after you press it? I was talking to someone about it and they mentioned “whipping” the rosin after it is pressed. He referred to it like taffy how they keep stretching it and bending it to improve the consistency and texture. Is there any merit to this when it come to rosin?
  • EconMan

I've started aging mine a few days. Then I whip it gently to aerate it and then freeze it in small glass jars.
  • Gman
    Here's an example of how different it can end up depending on how you cure it after pressing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rosin/comments/dslcej/some_rosin_i_made_from_the_dry_sift_i_made_its/
  • EconMan

This was cool! thanks!
    Hey guys, what’s the smallest practical amount of water hash to press?
  • Gman
    a gram I guess, but when doing super small amount you can just use a tiny corner of the filter and hold it there. The problem with doing small amount is the bag will always hold a certain amount, which is a higher percentage of loss if the starting amount is small.
  • EconMan

Yeah, anything under a G and you get diminishing returns.
  • LabPong
    To press kief......should it only be done in a bag? Will it work well with just folded over parchment?
  • Gman
    nope, you'll need a bag from my experience. Without the stems and leaves holding it together it'll mostly just spread out. Maybe try both ways and see if you can get better results than I did.
    Well this is getting frustrating. Good yield but half flies on the floor when trying to collect. It’s like glass.
    uybwht9lbevkixif.jpeg
    rhlswj1o1lndp37f.jpeg
    I literally threw half away it was making such a mess. ITS EVERYWHERE!
  • Gman
    Is it really old stuff? Are you hydrating it at all first? I generally only get stuff this glassy when pressing older kief.

You can just use the heat and fold method. Warm it up a bit on a heat pad then fold the paper to collect it like that. Don't try to scrape it up.
    Thanks for the hint. It was actually the most hydrated bud I have pressed. And only about 6 months old. I think I over pressured it. My gauge goes to 14,500 so anything under 2500 is a guess. I’m going to replace it with something that maxes out at 5-8k if I can find one. I like pull and snap but not explosive, lol. I have it all gathered and pressed together but very hard not to shatter it, no pull just snap, lol.
  • Pud
    I picked one up from grainger for my hand pump that was 3000 max pressure... made it much much easier to dial in
  • Gman
    I don't think pressure matters here. It's just the flower. Press with less heat imo. You must be pressing pretty hot to get glass.
    190°, I was looking for crystal like but not like this. This is the first time using a 2.5x4.5” bag and also first time using 90u instead of 120u. My dispensary grows this strain and also makes regular and live resin shatter out of it so I figured it might press well too. I get it regularly so next time I’ll start at 160 and work my way up. Do you have the pump from DP?
  • Gman
    I'd try 180f and press slow increments. If it still comes out glassy, use the fold tech to collect it.

Remember to check the temp of your plates, it might be off 20f
  • Pud
    no I bought a 10ton port-a pump hydraulic ram. Have a grainger up the street cause like you it was more like guessing and I am into repeatable
  • EconMan
    I literally threw half away it was making such a mess. ITS EVERYWHERE!52

If people have it, they want to use it. I BET the culprit is that 20t press you have.:cool: because you have the power I bet you're using it? IME, anything over 750psi is counter productive and I truly can't even imagine a reason to go over 1000 :scream:
  • EconMan
    Ok, I waked and baked, and I now have this bad boy in the cart, cc info input.... and am just hanging debating whether to press confirm...... indecision is a bitch. Another dab and that will decide :nerd:

It measures bag pressure. Replication. :cool:
    https://gopurepressure.com/products/helix-pro-rosin-press-purepressure
  • Pud
    how could it ba a bad thing to actually know? :sweat:
  • okla68m
    Warm it up before collecting...I do QWET and put my pan of evapped material in the fridge to cool off, BAD MISTAKE !
    When I went to collect with a razor blade, Shattered into a Million Nano sized pieces of Glitter !! Now I collect While WARM, No Problem as long as you do it quickly. Can be Very Sticky until it hardens, then turns into Plastic/Glass like. If you apply to parchment and work it Warm, it seems to become more Buttery, but, will Still Shatter if not careful when cutting.
  • okla68m
    nlb3pm4z8y4emu2h.jpg
    I think I this is GSC SHATTER
  • Gman
    I fail to understand why anyone would believe max pressure has anything to do with consistency? It's already out of the bag and on the paper at this point, you're not putting any pressure on the wax that's already been extruded... The only thing affecting it at that point is the temperature of the plates.... it's not even touching the puck anymore... The only factor would be how fast you are squishing it. So like I said earlier, try squishing slower.

This is basic physics guys, I shouldn't have to bust out diagrams for this..
    Sour Amnesia
    1 gram of cold water hash. 50% return and I know It can be better, puck was about 1sq in. 170° at the plates, 37u 1.25”x4” bag(cut of course), about 500psi for 90 seconds. Product came out very dry and bag very wet and wasteful. How can I get a better yield and how should I bag and press 2 grams? It would be nice to get 1.5g from 2g being its only $15/gram(not even sure if that is a good price) at a local dispensary. n6y51ov8l0zfp28f.jpegoiehqcrs2gwtedae.jpeg
  • EconMan

Our little boy is growing up. That looks great man. You have talent. :cool:
    Talent lol, no not really, trust me.

Light colored rosin does something for the brain. Yesterday I pressed some Blueberry Diesel flower, it came out black pull and snap but it is so delicious(crazy for me to say delicious as flavor is usually a negative for me) and awesome relief and effects, also vaped very clean so color really has less importance then my brain thinks(I know, I have read that many times) but lighter colored rosin is just more appealing to me. Problem now is I’m pressing faster then I can consume. Must slow down as I’m actually trying to consume less recreationally so relief is more noticeable when needed.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment