• LabPong
    Looks nice 52....how did it collect?

Real nice but the sugary crystals melted into a soft pull and snap like the rest. If it ever comes out like that again I’ll dab some right off the parchment. I had some come out like butter and turned into a nice crumble but I couldn’t replicate it with the same strain and batch. Must have been just the right time, heat and pressure combination and got lucky.
  • EconMan

One of the difficulties in squishing is in replication. Replicating at will "great successes" has proved elusive to me. Even with the more expensive press -- that one would think should be more measurement consistent and therefore replicatible? -- this hasn't been the case for me.

My best description of my squishing journey has been a Random Walk with Drift where the "drift" is my expertise which does produce a upwards trend. Volatile, but nevertheless upward.

Mathematically, perhaps what makes it so unique? :cool: No matter how good I get at it confidence is relatively low and happiness is very high when it goes well. In contrast, BHO is like McDonalds, one knows with high certainty exactly what they are going to get before processing. But squishing, is like a a street food-cart vendor. Every squish is a snowflake - unique. I've even tested it. Even with my DW6000 electric automatic which arguably CAN replicate the settings and even he pressure, I can't replicate closely results and outcomes.

That said, it is probably true I tend to squish at lower pressure and temp but for longer, compared the the average squisher. Hence, deviations in temp or pressure would be a higher relative percentage of total for me that those who use higher temps and pressures.
    Could be nothing. But it is sunday. Just returned home from a hike with my cat. Literally just took a dab before replying to this, and it is fun to think out loud :nerd:
  • fatbiker
    Do any of you that press rosin do anything particular to the rosin after you press it? I was talking to someone about it and they mentioned “whipping” the rosin after it is pressed. He referred to it like taffy how they keep stretching it and bending it to improve the consistency and texture. Is there any merit to this when it come to rosin?
  • EconMan

I've started aging mine a few days. Then I whip it gently to aerate it and then freeze it in small glass jars.
  • Gman
    Here's an example of how different it can end up depending on how you cure it after pressing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rosin/comments/dslcej/some_rosin_i_made_from_the_dry_sift_i_made_its/
  • EconMan

This was cool! thanks!
    Hey guys, what’s the smallest practical amount of water hash to press?
  • Gman
    a gram I guess, but when doing super small amount you can just use a tiny corner of the filter and hold it there. The problem with doing small amount is the bag will always hold a certain amount, which is a higher percentage of loss if the starting amount is small.
  • EconMan

Yeah, anything under a G and you get diminishing returns.
  • LabPong
    To press kief......should it only be done in a bag? Will it work well with just folded over parchment?
  • Gman
    nope, you'll need a bag from my experience. Without the stems and leaves holding it together it'll mostly just spread out. Maybe try both ways and see if you can get better results than I did.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment