• fatbiker
    So the press is up and running! I really like the press. It is very well built and should last a long time. I’m excited to practice with it.

3KIdTmk.jpg

I have pressed twice now and both times the results are the same. The rosin is very “crystal” like. It is not “gooey”. I have the it set to 200F and I let it warm up for like 20 mins prior to using. I put the material in a 90 micron bag. I use the “bottle tech” style pack. I let the material warm up for a minute in the press. Then I squish it almost tight and let it sit for 30 seconds. Then I crank it tight for 1:30.

Here is what it looks like:

Ta3Lu1b.jpg

Any feedback you can provide would be very helpful. Thanks!

PS - A more in-depth review of the press is to come. I just need to play with it a bit before I can give an honest review.
  • Baron23
    You pics didn't come through and the link to imgur is broken for them???

@Gman is a better source than I, but I believe lower temps will take the "shattery" to a more "soft"consistency.

Maybe try 195 F with the same strain??
  • fatbiker
    Are the images working now?
  • Baron23
    Yep, got it now, mate.

Nice Tegridy 20!

I have been advised to use 160 micron bags for flower and, as said before, IN GENERAL my understanding is that higher temps yield more shattery rosin. To me, consistency is also very strain/age/humidity related as well as temp.

Best of luck, thanks for the pics!
  • Gman
    Old flower or bubble will often turn out shattery like this. I would try to hydrate the flower more and lower the temps. Also find a good oven thermometer to verify if your temps are accurate. Mine are always off a bit.
  • fatbiker
    The material is slightly over two months old and kept in a CVault with 62% packs.

I’m going to press again and lower the temps a bit. I’ll report back in a few days.
  • juxt

How much you pressing to get that output? On what press?
  • Gman
    i get the same results on my upgraded Nugsmasher OG with 10-12 grams as I did on my old Mini doing 5-6 grams.

The mini really maxed out at 6 grams, 5 really to get max yield. The OG will easily do 14G.

Slow bottle tech, of course :) set timer for 4 min. Press down until it gives pressure and hold for 30 second. Then squish a little more every 15 to 30 seconds. At the last 30 I'll max it out to where I know to stop before bag blowout. (I do this by feel since I have no gauge).

The bags will blow based on size vs volume added vs pressure. For example my 2.5 inch bags, bottle tech style, 6 grams, will blow out at around 8T. But the 3.5 inch bags with 10-14 grams will easily handle 10T before a blowout. Again, no gauge so I'm guessing here.
  • EconMan
    verify if your temps are accurate. Mine are always off a bit.Gman

If there are real differences in presses it is in the plates and heaters. On my cheap Dulytek, the actual plate temp varies wildly with measured temp. On my much more expensive electric Dulytek much less so.

Regardless, I'm a low pressure fan and a math nerd so I try and apply ~500psi as my ideal. As Gman said, on my little press I do so by feel (and listening), on the fancy electric one, programatically, after a little math.

In

I think your results are fantastic. Each to their own, I enjoy a "shattery" rosin from time to time, as long as it is not scorched and your's looks lovely. :cool:
  • fatbiker
    What is your preferred micron bag for pressing flower? I bought some of the Press Club 90 micron bags. I’m considering buying 120. Before I do I thought I’d ask all of you what you use.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
  • EconMan

For most regular flower I use 115-125 micron (Pure Pressure brand from amazon) which seems to be a good balance. I've done some bubble hash a couple times now and pressed it, and for that I use 25 micron bags, at only 250psi..... but even for flower I use low pressure... about 500psi max and I take quite a long time to get to the full squish so the bags get nice and limber before being stressed hard. Most of my blowouts have been from "too hard too quick" impatience, but I've not had one for some time so I'm getting better :)

I always use the circular "bottle tech" for small squishes on my little DM800 press, but for my bigger DW6000 one, I've been experimenting with a prepress the exact size of the plates and squishing a full quarter at a time. The results have been quite good. About the same yield, but the quality is noticeably tastier. Not sure precisely why? Perhaps because the rosin doesn't sit on top of hot plates but rather immediately "bleeds" onto the cool parchment not touching the plates.... ?? Whatever, It's what I'm doing these days with large squishes almost as a policy now I'm so happy with the results.
  • juxt

I do up to 5 on the Mini, and get the butter results when they're there :) Those just looked like really big containers ;)
  • Gman
    oh, I press 3 OZ at a time when I do press, and packing plus pressing takes a few hours. One OZ will generally fit into one glass container. So it'll hold up to 6.5 grams but you really have to squish it in. I really should split it up into two when it's a high yielder. At this point I wish I had a huge press to press 1 OZ at a time lol.
  • EconMan

Interesting. The most I like to go is an OZ. Anything bigger scares me... lol
    My bigger press has 5x3" plates and I'm experimenting with mesh "tubes" that I can cut to the precise size for my plates (using prepress) and the results have been promising. Roughly, I tend to get about 6g's (+ - 1g) per oz of flower (been getting B+ grade flower) using 120'ish mesh depending on the brand. For this, I'm squishing at 170 for 4.5 minutes with an extra 100psi and 10 degrees the last 30 seconds.

For the tech I'm embracing with my new press, a friend swears by stainless steel bags, something I was unaware of. Every use them? I don't use a lot of pressure anyway, so I'm not sure I would benefit from the extra strength?
  • Gman
    Just to be clear, I don't squish that whole 3 OZ in one single squish, ti's hours of smaller one. Not sure if I conveyed that properly :)

And I've seen SS mesh being used before but that's with people pre-pressing the hell out of it.
  • EconMan

LMFAO :rofl:
    Dude, if you are pressing 3oz at a time on your little NS, not only are you Gman, but you may be God. :nerd:

When I first started I put so much effort in learning how to squish I had neglected learning how to collect. Temp and pressure certainly impacts the final Rosin consistency but the biggest factor is the strain of flower and readiness of the flower to be squished (humidity, etc). Some strains squish well and some just don't. Once not long ago I had such a weird strain it did not make rosin but rosin oil. Collecting it was a bitch. It dabbed well, tasted good, but insisted on being oil.... freezing the whole damned collection parchment didn't help either..... statistical anomalies.

I keep a couple ceramic floor tiles in the freezer for when needed. Some strains need a little extra cooling to control its viscosity. But it is not either/or. I'll often put the hot parchment directly on the cold tile, then I start using my collection tool of choice, and I personally like "shattery" Rosin if it is non-scorched -- but not too shattery or its a nightmare of flake chasing. So if it gets too shattery, I take off off my cold tile and start collecting on the relatively warmer desk surface... if the desk gets too warm, back on the cold tile for a while.

I really like your new press. More specifically, the plates look high quality and I bet hold and measure heat more accurately and spreads it out more evenly. Look forward to sharing your adventures with you. I love squishing. It makes me happy and is relaxing.... unless you get the "oil strain from hell" lol :)

The 20 ton power will give you plenty of PSI with room to spare if/when you start doing some large-scale squishes. For a nug, one only needs a few hundred pounds of pressure, but said pressure requirement grows geometrically with respect to growth in area. My first press, my beloved little $230 Dulytek M800 broke when I did a full-plate squish and it quite simply didn't have the power to do what I was trying to force it to do.... (epilog - Dulytek replaced it! Was not even their fault. Good company).

What are the size of the plates? It looks like on a larger scale squish, you could do three "bottle tech" lined up in a row, so cool, OR, as I've been experimenting with, full-size rectangular plate squishes using a pre-press and "tube bag" designed for the size of the plates. (I put a little more flower in the middle than on the edges so there is a little more pressure in the middle than on the edges..... I like the idea of it being "released" onto the cold parchment paper, rather than onto the "hot" parchment paper directly on the hot plates. I think it tastes better on average, but I do need to be careful because it could be I want it to taste better.
  • fatbiker
    So how many of you use a pre-press mold? What are the benefits and what have your experience been?
  • Dr green thumb
    xm5mt1q758wrk4r2.jpg

1g of purple dream sauce.. cross between grand daddy purple and blue dream.

r4u74gqzllw2n2wj.jpg

Kt dawg live resin sauce
  • Gman
    I only pre-press by hand only. I don't like to smash the good stuff intot he plant matter. That's also why we do a slow bottle tech where you bring the plates down until minimal pressure and let it all heat up. When pressing hash and you want to prevent slipping, you can pre-press to flatten it out. There's no real plant matter at that point.
  • EconMan

Jealous. I covet your sauce! :)

I use a large prepress mold when I want to press across my entire plate surface. With "bottle tech" there is no need for a prepress, in fact it would harm the squish.

Gman is right, don't confuse prepressing with pressing. My prepresses are only to get the form right (I want the edge of the pre-pressed bag to almost be on the edge of the plates) and VERY low pressure..... perhaps 50 psi. For small amounts, under two g's I always prepress as I've found I get less plant matter when not using a bag.

Been doing some bubble hash and pressing it, and that basically produces some incredibly tasty honey that rivals BHO concentrates.
  • fatbiker
    I have been doing a lot of research on the prepress molds. I think it would be nice to have a 2x4 prepress to mood it before pressing.

While I get my sea legs I’ve only been pressing a few g’s bottle tech style. All has been going well. However, I’m ready to increase the amount I press.

I think it would be nice to prepress a 2x4 block and simply slide it in and press. The bottle tech works but just takes a lot of time to get it all setup.
  • EconMan

BT is awesome and often the only rational choice. But yes, I get great results when I press on the entire surface of the plates, then when the rosin is pressured out it gets cooled quickly. And it is relatively easy and quicker since there is a finite mold to conform to, and no "christmas package folding" in the bottle tech.

Now that said... there is more room to mess it all up.... bottle tech sort of rescues people from their own sins, except impatience.
  • EconMan
    And it is a BT sort of day. :cool:

sr4ro40yil07ceru.jpeg

Hmmm which press to use? The M800 it is! :party:
  • Gman
    TO help make it faster I use a small glass or container just about the size of the filter bag, fold in the bottoms, put it in the cup, and fill the bag pressing it down with my fingers into the cup/filter. You can pull it out and push the material down more as you go easily.

I do all my bags the night before and put them back int he jar with the boveda. Then on press day I'm just pressing and putting the sheets off the the side and collect all at once when I'm done.
  • EconMan

That is a VERY good idea, that I am ashamed I have not thought of, but happy you have :)
    Will try that. Half the effort is getting the "pack" and "fold" right.
  • LabPong
    I only pre-press by hand only. I don't like to smash the good stuff intot he plant matter.Gman

I do that too because I only press small amounts...usually a gram at a time. So it is easy to take some smaller buds and press them together into the needed shape. I always take out as much stem as possible as well.
  • fatbiker
    Which strains have been your favorite to press?
  • EconMan

I never just press a bud as a bud. I break it up and prepress. My pre-pressing is non-obtrusive, very low pressure and I've notice zero degradation in yield or quality. I do agree some of the vids I've seen on YT of people taking rubber mallets to a pre-press banging it into a rock hard pellet are dumb (there is nothing left to "compress"). I get much less plant matter contamination when I mildly use the pre-press WITHOUT going all overkill with it.

When I do bags BT, I ALWAYS pack by hand. Indeed, I would guess that overpacking is a prime reason for blowouts (that and impatience).

Which strains have been your favorite to press?fatbiker

I have a bias against "strains" only because even in legal states I think it is at least 50% BS, and in illegal states, it's 100% BS. So I don't trust the "labels" by which flower is sold to me. But here is what I look for.

Sticky, sappy, fat, colorful, fresh-smelling, hydrated LARGE buds. I got a QP of "minibuds" that pressed well after hydration (zero yield before hydration) but big sticky buds do better for me. Generally, it seems to me Indicas press on average better than Sativas, but I can't state it as true in a fact. Just my suspicion.

The best batch I have ever personally made, in both quality and yield, I didn't even know the strain, neither did the seller. All he knew is that it came from Tennessee somewhere.
  • Gman
    There's actually genetic patent wars up here in Canada about labels and variety (strain) names. So they are controlled right down to the genetic level and LP's are keeping them to themselves.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment