• EconMan

This is great news. It means behind the scenes Square has made a deal with its bank(s) to co-insure I suspect -- makes sense. Will be interested to see their rates and fees. Honestly, I'm unhappy with CBD offerings to small proprietors. The rates coming back seem so high, but people are paying them so they must not be.
  • EconMan
    The Democratic-controlled House of Representatives late Wednesday voted to pass a bill protecting banks that work with the marijuana industry,JonnyFrontrow

That was most interesting! :cool:

And yeah, republicans have historically been drug hawks. Indeed, the formal "War on Drugs" was initiated by Nixon, who won his 2nd term in a true landslide. "Law and "Order" was the central theme of his campaign.

This is also interesting. A "breakdown" of the votes
    https://www.marijuanamoment.net/breaking-down-congresss-historic-marijuana-banking-vote/
  • JonnyFrontrow
    This is also interesting. A "breakdown" of the votesEconMan

It certainly is. Thanks for sharing. McCarthy (while form CA he's still the minority leader) and a rep from Utah. Curiously the R from AL voted yes while the D voted no.

Wonder if Mitch will let it come to a vote?
  • EconMan
    Interesting testimony!

• Dankpup
    bipartisan support comes easier with a tag line of “protecting banks” from the overbearing fed. If legislation were introduced in the house to “protect individual scumbag pot smokers from federal prosecution” watch that bipartisan support go up in smoke! Making money= holy and pure pursuit....smoking the pot=character defect, moral corruption.
  • EconMan

I could not agree more. The hypocrisy is incredible. We are talking about a plant. Either we are losing the war against it (wasting resources) or winning it at too high a cost. The dogmatic attitudes around where I live are actually quite astounding. Many argue Jesus would hate weed. I would cite an jewish academic paper theorizing Moses took mushrooms on that mountain, and then the conversation often ended :nerd:
    We have no excuse either. We had an actual political-economic template of what prohibition looked like and nevertheless saw fit to repeat it.
  • Dankpup
    exactly! I didn’t want to get into any type of political debate, but it’s not as “woke” situation as it comes off as, article states 2 people’s votes flipped due to progressive primary competition! Job security worries!
  • EconMan
    I didn’t want to get into any type of political debateDankpup

Except life itself is politics. As my man Aristotle once said,
    "Man is a political animal".
    As soon as someone wants to stop someone from doing something and/or to force someone to do something particular, AND they solicit others to attain the desired forced effect, that is politics.

It is the nature of humans. My goodness, we make political "parties" around vapes :joke:

https://www.ted.com/talks/yuval_noah_harari_what_explains_the_rise_of_humans?language=en
  • EconMan
    Some Canadians getting pissed.

How Canada's Black Market Survived One Year of Legal Weed
    https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/wjwb8y/how-canadas-black-market-survived-one-year-of-legal-weed
  • okla68m
    And there it is again if you just read it....."Substances they are MIXING with THC Oil".....NOT THE THC !!!
    THROWING THE BABY OUT WITH THE BATH WATER !!!!
  • Dankpup
    you can blame corporate douche-ness. People don’t un-douche themselves when sending inter company emails. “Half our customers are drunk and vaping like mo-fo's, who the f*** is going to notice the quality of our pods?". That’s food for a class action lawsuit right there if the whistle blower has that quote from emails.
  • EconMan

Yeah, glad I don't own any recently bought Juul stock. :nerd:

For some good news, this is a big step forward.
    https://www.marijuanamoment.net/mitch-mcconnell-meets-marijuana-executives-and-tours-cannabis-facility-in-hushed-california-visit/
  • Dankpup
    yep bad for stock if the CEO is basically saying “our customers are drunk fuckups that could use a little poisoning.”
    The trade war has hurt farmers bad, suicide rates way up, so you better throw that base a bone in form of something they can grow and sell for a profit. Interesting Mitch is getting pushback from others on the right, but he’s seeing green no doubt!
  • EconMan
    he’s seeing green no doubtDankpup

That is my hope. That folks like Mitch will value the "green". Of course, he only claims to believe in liberty and free markets. Most voters are against legalization, and given the nature of american democracy the Senate can block anything right now.
  • Pud
    It’ll pass after but not before these Congresspeople get to be made partners in all these grow-ops or whatever... but not until. They need their cut
  • okla68m
    Unlike DeBlasio of New York, Oklahoma has the correct idea...Commute their sentences, not let them go, give them money and expect them to use that money to pay their court costs...RIGHT !!!! That money is Already in their veins and "Catch me if you can" is their Stated Attitude if you read.
    These Oklahoma inmates had Already been convicted of Low Level Drug and property charges and were serving their Overblown sentences......
    On the other hand, NY released prisoners AWAITING TRIAL, SERIOUS FELONIES and Gave them money to return to see what and If they were going to be convicted.....Their already Gone like a Fart in a Strong Wind, POOF !
    DeBlasio is the Epitome' of Liberal Insanity, IMO !
  • EconMan

From one of my all-time favorite economists who reportedly never smoked weed or did illegal drugs in his life.

"I am utterly convinced, that if the criminal aspects of their addictions were removed, they could live relatively normal lives" (Milton Friedman)

I say legalize freedom.
  • EconMan
    Well shit. Three big banks just dumped out of vape risk category in merchant banking. Because of Juul. Seems they can't (or won't) differentiate between Herb and Nic vaping? Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. So we will be seeing quite a related few businesses suddenly have their credit card acceptance shut down.
  • Dankpup
    I don’t know, I’m against legalization of opiates etc. Last night my neighbors were getting narcaned again. It’s a constant source of stress, I have to keep an eye on what going on over there. It’s also a game of numbers, enough junkie traffic and eventually one of those bastards is gonna try to bust into my shed or house. I just have a hatred for dealing with people on opiates.
  • Dankpup
    ha, I said it’s a game of numbers to an economist lol.
  • EconMan
    I just have a hatred for dealing with people on opiatesDankpup

I think what you really mean is you have "..a hatred for dealing with people on opiates within a system that criminalizes their addictions..." :nerd: Forced-Scarcity changes human behavior. :nerd:
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    i feel your pain! My apartment is behind a pharmacy and that pharmacy is a methadone clinic... Its aweful man, then you add my neighbours real class acts those guys, one broke into my apartment and the others i just dont have words for.

I do however agree with @EconMan its not really the drugs its how our society perceives and deals with them, if we were allowed to grow our own poppies and the plant was treated with the respect it deserved things wouldnt be the same at all, we are however so far from that the fixing of such shit would be really complex.
  • Dankpup
    yes I don’t know if Americans sucks at drug addiction. The cultural and financial reasons don’t concern me, cause I know what people become. My brother in law visited Portugal and people openly offered cocaine for sale, he sat at bars and smoked weed, they don’t seem to be suffering much from total decriminalization. But use guns as an example, Canada has tons purportedly, so does the US but only one country has the cultural problem of mass shootings and Rambo style revenge phantasy.
    The hunter Thompson quote “you can turn your back on a person but never turn you back on a drug” is one of my most taken to heart.
  • EconMan
    Well, they got another bullshit test. I'm thankful to these bullshit people as they keep me in $.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-11-11/fingerprint-test-can-tell-if-someone-has-used-heroin-even-after-washing-hands/
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet