• Cuckfumbustion
    I own the box mod version of the G. So no wall G for me.
    But having a small glass vaporizer that doesn't have a shut off timer is attractive. :starstruck
  • Sonic Bacon
    Mod G arrived today, what a great surprise, thank you Bud. I managed to get it fired up and cruise engaged, but I am not getting any heat out of it.

The mod gets very hot but after 5 minutes the heater is still cold. I am guessing it is a connectivity issue but I am not sure. I have been reading through the thread and haven’t yet found an answer. Can anyone here provide some insight? Thanks.
  • Bud
    No fuckin way sorry bro!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

That most likely means there is a loose connection inside the RDA, where the two power wires are screwed into place, if you twist off the RDA cap you can see the connections, let me know if they look loose!

Tomorrow I'll send out whichever part needs replacing :ok:
  • Sonic Bacon
    Thanks for the quick reply @Bud. I opened it up and found a potential short in a bare connector maybe hitting the top cap. The 2 wire connections are pretty solid. 1862zg7b1iqj9xym.jpeg

Edit, I tried it again without the top cap and it is melting the insulation at the tear in the heat shrink.
  • warren0728
    Got the email confirming the order for the G I won!

i got mine yesterday too @v0id ! can not wait to give it a go! thanks @Bud!
  • v0id

I can't lie, I'm kind of jelly you get the G that runs cooler haha! (At least I think that was your G? I was in and out of the stream for that bit) Hopefully you get some awesome taste out of it :)

My next post on this thread is gonna be my best attempt at a one hit extraction, hopefully my lungs can keep up :rofl:
  • warren0728
    i must have been out of the stream at that time too lol ... all i know is my mod g is on its way!
  • LabPong
    Edit, I tried it again without the top cap and it is melting the insulation at the tear in the heat shrink.Sonic Bacon

Def sounds like there is a loose connection on one or both terminals. See if you can get a hex wrench in there to tighten them up.
  • BestBuds
    is that a crimp inside the melted insulation? (It looks like metal in that hole in the insulation) Maybe it's not shorting on the connections like @LabPong suggested, if his suggestion doesn't work, unscrew the wires and look up under the insulation. You should be able to see if there is a short.
  • warren0728
    i just watched the part of the stream i missed ... that was will that is getting the slightly cooler sled g ... i'm getting a mod g!
  • v0id

Woops :sweat:
  • Bud
    mailing you a new RDA & power wire today :100:

also sending you a mini screwdriver if u wanna try and fix the broken one
  • Sonic Bacon
    Thanks very much Bud.

Thanks for the advice guys. Everything feels very firmly attached at the terminals. I am assuming that the short is taking place right where it has generated the most heat and melted. I will poke around with it today and see if I can find exactly where the problem is.
  • v0id
    If anyone wants, after Feb first (gotta move upstate first :confused: )I should have my G and have applied the conformal coating that I want. I have no use for the rest of the bottle, so I can send it to others and maybe start a chain where we send it to other G users who want it :lol:

q0hw1nmwwdymrb9w.jpg

Alternatively if you want to cop a bottle yourself theyre ~15 bucks on amazon. Worth the peace of mind, imo. Just shouldnt be put in the airpath :up:
  • Dude-the
    @void: 419D: Acrylic Conformal coating:
    What did/do use this for?
  • v0id
    \

I used to use this on my wiring for my Esk8, but its applicable here too. What it does is isolate any bare wires/solder work to help eliminate shorts.

Basically, you cover one, or both of the exposed wires with this to prevent the wire of opposite polarity from touching it.

Sorry I dont have a good photo to demonstrate, Im not one to take good photos of my work

e: heres a connector I used it on, not for a G43 though: mf2g9495g1mrm5p1.jpg

Before I heatshrinked the wires, I coated their exposed bits in conformal and filled the little wells where water could end up (shorts via water was my main reason for using it here). Its not really necessary, its more so for peace of mind.
  • Dude-the
    So basically an alternative (or supplement) to heatshrink: like a paint-on sealant. It's a good idea. I think you should hold on to it. You're likely to want it again, so I would keep some of it at least. But I'm glad to know of a specific, tested product for when I should eventually have use for it.
    I might as well ask here re DIY'ers, as I know people have posted here in the past that they've helped assemble some of the Gs and I know some who used to frequent here have had their own stores w/ similar wares:
    I wanted to try assembling what's for the purpose of my science Q. is esentially a Frankenstein version of the G43: like a G'10-3.

i plan to use a more than capable, finely adjustable AC-DC power supply, which is how I assume I will run it. ( But I do have a single cell flashable mod and I think even the same jr 510 heads Bud used, so if it's easier to get advice from people with that setup, like a control scenario, I could flash the same firmware and wire up the rda posts, but I suspect working off a stable ac p.s.u. is ≥.)

I figured if I'm building my own, I could just take advantage of whatever spare glass I have on hand and build an ugly monster. I figured I'd use an 8 or 10 mm rod and coil with at least 18 gauge. Can anyone think of any problems with that? I saw a video of Bud assembling like a whole G not long ago, I think I could approximate an ugly version, but unsure of the electronics and lack the luxury of being able to do too much trial and error, so hoping for the guidance of your experience.

a) is there any inherent problem with such a larger rod? (Like 8 or 10mm diameter)
    b) is 18 gauge coil wire adequate (too much? Too little?)
    (If I understood Bud correctly, the first part of this should be ok)
    c) recommendation for the type of wire? ss? Ni? Kanthal? Braided? (I have tried to research, but it's a bit much for a one off hobby project)

d)Is there a specific rule about stepping down the wiring? If the coil wire is 18 g, will 16 g be ok, or run it need to be 14? (Will 20

e) since it's the Monster, I thought 25 wraps.

i ) 25 wraps, 18gauge wire, around 10mm glass rod.
    ii) 16 or 14 gauge insulated wire (X2) to the coil wire
    iii) insulated +/- wired into +/- power station... Incrementally stepped up in Volts and Amps until coil and glass rod glow. Set max.
    iv) mix in insulation and see if I can achieve results.

That's the basic outline as I understand. For now, I could skip some of the safety and aesthetic steps (like crimping, special tools) and just see how/if it'll function.
    Speaking of which: going now to pick up more glass and check out this 30% off herb delivery coupon in my mailbox: could be worse...
  • Dude-the
    Most important question: what am I overlooking? Is the science (e.g., electricity: v*a, materials, ¿resistance?science stuff) ok?
  • Hippie
    Maybe best not to skip the safety lol

This is Ohms Law
    If V= volts, I=current, R=resistance, P=power, T=time
    V=IR
    P=ITV which can be expressed as P=IV as T=1

You can also use the steam engine calculators to calculate the wire length (and number of wraps) https://www.steam-engine.org/coil to make sure you're safely inside the specifications of the wires, battery, psu, step down ....

I'd stay over 1ohm for now (safety), box mods will attempt to temp control coils up to 1.5ohms cold, and allows up to 3ohms cold in power mode
  • v0id
    Can you guys shout out your preferred battery chargers?

I see both the up and downside to charging in the mod, but I think Ill only need one 18650 cell... so whats the point of getting a two bay charger, or even an external charger at all? Hopefully someone here can recommend a single bay one if you feel external charging is a requirement.

I've tried the single bay Fenix charger but for whatever reason mine was stuck at .5a :/ Took a long ass time for a single 30q to charge.

So much for my next post on here being a milk shot :rofl: It'll come
  • v0id
    Well I ended up buying a dual bay charger, Nitecore was the brand. Hopefully it works well and charges fast.

@BestBuds I saw in the VapBong thread you mentioned that it set your fire alarm off. How? Clouds? Was it heat produced from the unit giving a false positive? Im wondering if the G43 has ever set your alarm off.

As someone who may or may not be in a dorm room, the fire alarm is pretty high on my "oh shit" list of things to happen from vaping :yikes: Hopefully no one has stories of their G setting off alarms.
  • BestBuds
    I was standing at my bar and didn't realize I was blowing my vapor towards the stairs where the smoke alarm is. it was the clouds! :cool: I've never had the smoke alarm go off since. If you're now blowing vapor towards it you'll be fine. If you're very concerned in the dorm get a Sploofy. :victory:

As a side note: there are certain vapes that my wife says are stinky, VB, EQ are in that category. But some vapes like The TM or the G43 she says she smells clean vaped herb. That's her, a non vaper or smoker, opinion. :confused:
  • Southpaw94
    I’ve been using my dual port nitecore w/ the batts sent w/ my g43, works great
  • v0id
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Good to hear that I'll probably be fine with the G in regards to fire alarms, and I actually totally forgot that Bud sends a battery (or multiple?) with the G... Ordered two 30qs earlier :lol: woops.
  • froglefrog
    @Bud

Review for the G series of vapes, totally impwessed wit how clean it stays,,,,yes the weed i got iz well flushed, almost no rez., but compared to my other units, it stays cleaner :ok:

When eye first saw the screens on the G, i wuz like WOW it will clog quickly, but this iz not the case at all :up: In any case, little screens takes a few seconds 2 clean it out anyways.

ModG power unit very reliable so far :up: , but WallG default power supply with rotary dial going downhill(posted it in WallG thread)

Loving the G's, so much so, my dedicated previous vapes on standby/semi retired, hope my 0.02cents helps wit the evolutionary process :strong:
  • warren0728
    my g was delivered today!! ... i'm surprised the usps delivered it to me on a national holiday (at 7:30pm!) ...

man this thing hits hard! that is all!

i got the mod g and a j-hook that bud included (along with a glass stand)! started at 11 and am now trying 11.5 ... might have to suspend experimenting after that for awhile so it's doing its job!

thanks again @Bud for your generosity!
  • Sonic Bacon
    Replacement atomizer has arrived and everything appears to be working fine now. Thanks again @Bud you the real stud.
  • warren0728
    quick question ... should all these numbers be jumping around ... or is something going on? it seems to be working great ...

also ... are all the values in the correct range? i know nothing about these mods!

• Field
    I believe that's normal, mine does the same thing. Keep in mind the device is new for me also so I definitely could be wrong. but I believe I ran across mention of this somewhere along this thread. Bud also talks about some of this during his appearance on the Modern Cannabists podcast on Youtube:

"420Vapezone and Vape Critic talk about offending sensitive vape designers, G43 mod battery problems"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7hDLjaoZ-0
  • Field
    @warren0728

For an 11.1w setting, my readings are:

dancing between 11.0w to 11.1w with rare jumps to 10.9 or 11.3 or thereabouts
    solid 3.57 v
    solid 0.99 ohm
    solid 2.9 a
    solid 1.3xx ohm last 2 digits (xx) dance around
    58%. | 3.3x v last digit dances around

Take a hit every time I write some form of the word dance, Cheers.

dance, dance, dance...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet