• Glennsgarage
    I just purchased the firefly 2 for $326 after reading about the vapor quality.
    It does have a great vapor quality but it’s got the worst battery life of any vape I’ve ever tried.
    In a 70 degree House I can load the chamber twice and take 14 puffs total.
    Outside on a 35 degree day I only get 10 puffs on 1 chamber and the battery is dead.
    I called the company and they are quick to offer a 3rd battery for free and a power adapter so you can use it plugged in. I told them that doesn’t work for me because I am away from a power source and that’s the reason I got a battery operated model. I have the original pax and you can load it 10 times on one charge and they immediately replaced one when I had an issue.
    Firefly refuses to refund my money even though the web site states they will. It’s only 1 week old and I’m a bit frustrated with the company
  • EconMan

Opinion on this unit seems to be bimodal -- no "bell curve" -- few people are moderately ambivalent seemingly either loving or hating it. I love mine and use it quite a bit. I STILL have not used a cordless with consistently better taste. If I lost mine, I would immediately buy another one.

What do you have it set on? I don't have these issues you describe "EXCEPT" when I have it in "concentrates" mode (500 degrees). It's good for 3-4 dabs, max. However, on flower I set mine at 390 with acceleration at 102%, and although I have not collected data on it, between the two batteries I've never had an issue. I used it heavily on a trip from Dallas to Atlanta without ever recharging. Between the two batteries it came with, no problems.

Ceteris paribus, all things being equal, it takes more energy to heat a mass via convection heat than conduction heat. Air is not very dense and therefore cools quickly, so to get the bowl-temp to the desired heat, requires heating the air significantly hotter than desired bowl temp. (Hence, a hotair popcorn maker (convection) uses more energy than a old fashion pot of popcorn on a stovetop (conduction). And I am an avid backpacker. Cold weather (and really hot weather) hammers batteries of all kinds). I took my FF2 out one on a short three-day trip, and at night it was about 10 degrees... First I had to put it to 450 just to get a trace of vapor -- the unit itself was near frozen.... battery died after two full sessions. Now for such activities, I take my Sticky Brick Jr -- and the butane torch brings a positive externality for firestarting.

I will use mine today and NOT put it back in its charging cradle between uses, then I I'll report back more precisely how many "bowls" and draws I was able to consume on one battery.... (to have some scientific validity I will only do "full draw" cycles (green light blinks, turns off while drawing) If yours differs significantly from mine, then that implies yours may be defective?

Lastly, I run a payments business. If you paid by CC, you possess rights from MC/VISA/Disc & AMEX, meaning their merchants have a "duty" to in good faith work out disputes. If they really won't give you a refund, call your bank that issued the credit card, and dispute the charge. To arm yourself in case they choose to "fight" it, take a screen cap, etc, of all promises -- real and implied, when you purchased. FF2's merchant bank will "chargeback" the $326 (seize it from their other receivables due) AND will charge FF2 a "ChargeBack fee" (kind of like a NSF fee) anywhere from $20-$75. If they end of getting to many of these, the merchant bank will either close their account, or demand they deposit a "rolling reserve" to handle the extra chargeback risk. Reputable merchants do NOT want chargebacks.

As an FYI, I paid $255 for my FF2 new, (which at the time is why I got it and not an MV1), something I was and still am interested in.
  • EconMan

Ok. Experiment done. :nerd:
    I began with a fully charged battery and then compiled data. I only did "full draws" defined from the time the "green light stops blinking to the time it goes out". I checked battery life by three-tapping on the right sensor periodically, and the experiment ended once I received the solid red light indicating battery life near fatal. The room is approximately 68 degrees.

Settings were 390 degrees and 102% calibration. I went through three loads and enjoyed 21 draws before the red light came on as I checked battery life after each full draw (one could still keep drawing more times but draining beyond this point can damage the battery). The batteries are small and it comes with two, so that gives a minimum of 42 full draws to be expected from the system as shipped (assuming of course my particular unit is not some high-performing outlier).

Oh, not really the point of the experiment, but I am very medicated right now :joke:
  • BobCat
    So kind of you to go through all that to help a forum member. Great job, and I hope you're functioning. I wouldn't be. :victory:
  • Dr green thumb
    when I vape the effects never last long. Anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours. You should be fine soon
  • Glennsgarage
    Thanks for the scientific approach in the wee hours of the morning e-man! I charged both batteries full and I’ll do the same experiment here after I digest my breakfast and will post the results.
    I know these batteries will only degrade with time so this should be my peak performance.
  • beezee420
    they offered me 20% off the external charger... pretty much same thing happening to mine. I am doing another test now
  • EconMan
    they offered me 20% off the external charger... pretty much same thing happening to mine. I am doing another test nowbeezee420

Interesting. One difference in how I use mine perhaps, is only very rarely do I drain the battery that much. Only on dabs and pass-around sessions... as it lives on my desk in its charging cradle. So my lack of "battery issues* may be the way I use it doesn't hammer the battery very hard?
  • Glennsgarage
    Ok I completed one indoor test on a full battery and got 4 loads and 5 puffs per load. 20 puffs total.
  • EconMan

Ok, then that is consistent with my results (3 bowls 21 full inhales). I'm glad I did this because now I know its battery limits. I get three to four big bowls before it's time to pop in a new battery.
  • beezee420
    sorry 20% discount to order it
  • Glennsgarage
    I just finished my 2nd test with my 2nd battery and only got 12 puffs total. Not a happy customer over here. Gonna give the Seattle hipsters at firefly one more chance to refund my $$ or do a charge back on my card...
  • Glennsgarage
    Firefly phone support just let me know that 12 to 20 draws is what to expect. These specs are not on the web site. Instead it says 6 to 8 bowls of material. I never would have purchased if I knew you could only get 12 puffs in 70 degree weather and half that outside on a cold day...
  • To the Cloud
    Mine died at a Tame Impala concert after I had charged it totally full. It was a huge bummer, the batteries do wear down fast as well. New batteries keep me going through multiple sessions where older ones will last like you said 1-2 sessions.
  • To the Cloud
    Lol yeah valid on the no bell curve , but feel that is the same about the MV1 as well. People who are like " Meh it's okay" probably aren't on here touting how they think it's a three star. I feel that is the same about reviews. You either leave a review cause you hate or love something. No one is ever like oh man I can't wait to talk about this three star meal I had an economically priced restaurant.
  • EconMan
    Firefly phone support just let me know that 12 to 20 draws is what to expect. These specs are not on the web site. Instead it says 6 to 8 bowls of material. I never would have purchased if I knew you could only get 12 puffs in 70 degree weather and half that outside on a cold day...Glennsgarage

That would bug me too. It didn't bother me, as my purchase was not made with any expectation of good battery life. I use mine really as a desktop.
  • Glennsgarage
    I had to do a chargeback on my credit card to get my $$ back from firefly so I could buy the mighty from storres and Bickel. If you do buy a firefly I recommend getting it from planet of the vapes rather than from firefly. POV has a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.
  • beezee420
    thanks man, yeah Firefly Customer service is rough, they try and challenge you rather than help
  • EconMan

And that is a reason perhaps not to like the Firefly2. A reason I've never had to employ, as I personally have had no reason to contact them yet.... but I hear they do suffer customer service wise. But I also hear the same about Puffco, Dr. Dabber, and Apple, etc? Someday I'm sure I will find out as I have another year of warranty on mine. :)

Regarding chargebacks, they can destroy a company. (One business after only two weeks of taking credit cards owed the bank over $5k, rather than the bank owing them).
  • EconMan

I always try and buy from 3rd party stores, not manufacturers normally. The stores often champion their customers. The store has more clout with the manufacturer than I do, and the store cares about my satisfaction more than the manufacturer does.
  • TheZman
    Would the FF2 be a good on demand vape? Or does the bowl stay hot and keep using up herb?
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    The FF2 is on demand. I haven't used one, but im sure @EconMan can help out here. He seems to love his.
  • EconMan

It's real convection on demand. Load a bowl, start it, let's say the phone rings, you get distracted, come back to finish your bowl later where you left off.... Almost like a Sticky brick Bowl does not stay hot.

It's become my fav desktop vape for that very reason. Great taste and easy to clean (important to me). I just love mine, but I certainly see why some dislike it. If I lost mine, I would buy another...

No wait time, just load and start enjoying. It does require a bit of technique but nothing too weird and hard. It's evolved into my prime workhorse now.
  • TheZman
    Sounds good. It was originally one of the first Vapes I was considering. The biggest thing that turned me away was the price. Then I convinced myself to just save up. That was my plan because I really like the design and that it has quality parts like glass pathways. Then I started reading the reviews and all the issues people were having and it made me think twice. If it was half the price I still would have bought it. But with the high price and questionable reviews I backed out.

In the end I bought a cheaper Vape the Boundless CF and have been pretty happy with its performance. It's a real work horse. But.... Its NOT on demand and it's not made of super high end parts like glass and titanium so I still dream of eventually owning a higher end vape for on demand and better taste from my herb. And the FF2 is still in my mind. To me glass is the best air pathway you can get and is best for taste.
  • MothChewMoth
    I will say that @EconMan doesn't seem have a ton of folks who are as passionate about the FF2 as he is. There are quite a few here who vehemently would disagree with his opinion (cough @Baron23 cough).

I personally tried it multiple times and just found it to be a huge pain. It's got extremely restrictive airflow and you need to have the perfect draw to get good vapor. The times it did work, the flavor was excellent, but I mostly just struggled with it. I'm not a person easily deterred by technique (I love my Sticky Brick and that requires lots), but to me, for the price, it wasn't worth it. Maybe if it was $150, but not for anywhere near the $300 plus it retails for. Also fwiw, their customer service has a poor reputation on multiple forums.

If I were in your shoes wanting a true on-demand portable, I'd take a closer look at the Ghost MV-1 if you haven't already. Similar price point, but IMO a much more user friendly and consistent device. Flavor is right in line with the FF2 as some of the best out there, but has significantly fewer drawbacks (again, IMO). Their customer support is also the best I've ever seen.
  • EconMan

On "things" I don't care if people "agree" with me or not for I am not so much expressing an opinion but a fact of my preferences. I choose Harleys although every "Metric" friend I have loves to tell me I spent too much.... that across all technical variables the Metrics are "better", more efficient, etc...
    Ok, but they are not Harleys. They simply feel better to me. It is not a contest. Just preferences which differ widely.

Likewise with my FireFly 2. It works for me. If people want to know why I like it so much, I tell them (that's my opinion). If they think I'm crazy because my preferences are not theirs, that's ok too. If I can help them use the device, I will. But I don't actually "care" if they like it or use it.

You see, for me I don't really care much about efficiency, stealth, portability, or battery life, or the color of the abv. I care about how it tastes, and the feeling I attain, and the ease of keeping it clean -- three things the FF2 excels in. Just like Harleys there are lots of reasons NOT to buy a FF2, but of all my vapes, it certainly has provided me with the greatest utility per dollar of input. So for me, $300 is a bargain. Had I paid a $600 "Volcano Price", I would still be happy.

My business partner bought a Volcano for $600 for him and his wife. Actually, more than that because he bought extra bags, etc. They used it for a week or two and decided they hated it. It lays lonely in its box collecting dust. They must have spent $100/bag! I've easily taken a thousand hits off my FF2, which puts me around $.30 per hit. From this perspective, I've spent much less than he did.

Re MV1 vs FF2, I like both. I plan to get an MV1 PRECISELY because it does have good taste to me (not quite FF2 taste but good taste) AND I like the "capsules" and carrying case thing (a weakness of the FF2 is reloading while mobile). But they ARE different too. The FF2 is so darn easy to clean, I clean it with every new bowl. 30 seconds, max. The MV1 is much harder to clean, disassembly, soaking, etc... and like the FF2, if it isn't clean it doesn't work as well.

When @Skyvaper was over, we did side-by-side comparisons. Our conclusion was FF2 was marginally tastier, but the MV1 was marginally more powerful. However, just as I learned with the MV1, Skyvaper learned great rips can be taken from the FF2, although if massive rips are your primary thing, the MV1 I think wins here.

Oh, lastly, I also think the hottest actress alive is Cate Blanchett, yet few agree with me
  • MothChewMoth
    for sure I know you love that thing and wasn't trying to discount your experiences whatsoever. I was only offering up my own opinion and observational off-handed statistic to give a more holistic view. I'm the kind of buyer that wants to hear EVERYTHING about a possible purchase before I drop my hard earned dollars. Company image and reputation is also factored into my decisions, and that was certainly a big turnoff with FF.

I was actually extremely interested in the FF2 and came very close to purchasing one as one of my early vapes. I ended up going with the Sticky Brick OG which seemed like the safer, more interesting choice. After I got a chance to try the FF2 I totally agree with you on the excellent taste, but the downsides were just too much for me. As you said, there are different things that are important to each of us.

As for actresses, I think Cate is a beautiful woman, but Emma Stone, Jennifer Connelly, and Gillian Anderson are more my style.
  • EconMan

Oh, no, no, no. I did not feel you were discounting me. Not at all. Mostly, I was trying to let you know it's ok. it doesn't offend or bother me. I like hearing negatives on products as well as positives. And you're not wrong -- the FF2 has its issues. You can like me and not like my FF2. I'm ok with that. :)

I'm slow to buy too.... even small purchases. I am STILL evaluating an MV1 potential purchase.... There is a $30 carb-cap I've been eying for weeks.... lol

And I just love my SB as well. It and my FF2 are my two most used vapes. They both are so convenient -- can grab either and be drawing vapor near instantly. I use the FF2 I think when my mood is "quick tasty hit" and the SBJ when my mood is more "quick intense hit".
    BTW @Skyvaper NAILED his frist try with a Sticky Brick as if he had been using one his whole life. :cool: His first hit, perfect, with no combustion. :scream:

The problem with reputations is they are so often statistically incomplete. The loudest people are either the fanboys on the positive side (think Tesla), or the haters on the other side (think Tesla). The "expected" portion of the distribution isn't measured well. I've met people who have had good customer service experiences. The only interaction I've had with them since purchase was to buy more precut concentrate pads. My FF2 works great. I've had no problems with mine so no reason to interact with CS.

By my values, one of the most disgusting humans to have ever lived is Robert Tilton. Yet, I met a guy at an airport a while back who credited Tilton for not just saving his soul, but his life.... so go figure... It truly bothered him that I found Tilton disgusting, and he wanted to change my mind.

Now onto things that truly matter. Interesting women. Stone does nothing for me. For redheads I'm a more of a Julianne Moore sort of man, but I STILL remember Jennifer Connelly in Career Opportunities. :starstruck:

Indeed, one of my favorite movies -- The Ideal Husband -- has Cate and Julianne together on screen :love:
  • MothChewMoth
    You can like me and not like my FF2. I'm ok with that. :)EconMan
    I think we'd get along pretty well, pard'ner. Now I think maybe I've been playing too much Red Dead Redemption 2...

Damn, apparently I left Julianne off my list. :heart: her in The Big Lebowski. Jennifer for me will always be Dark City.
  • EconMan

I need to play that. Everyone tells me it's my thing.?

I'm a big Resident Evil whore, sworn to buy their games regardless of how shitty some of them have been. Resident Evil 2 HD remake (20 year old game!) is coming out soon. I've ordered a PS4 just for this purpose.

No game ever truly scared me like RE2 did.... I've played the devil out of it over the two decades, so I am so darn excited for it to be released... Turn out all the lights, and enter survival horror :)

Should I need to play Redemption 1 before 2 ? For some titles it doesn't matter.
  • TheZman
    I've looked into the Mv 1 as well. Its seems like it has just as many issues or disappointments as the FF2 from what I've read online. Just different issues. Honestly it's so hard to go by online opinions sometimes. I wish I was rich I'd buy both. And figure out which one works best for me. Unfortunately I'm not so opinions are important. When it comes to a big purchase like this I research the heck out of it and take my time and ask questions till I decide whichever one would be best.

My biggest issue with the MV 1 is the size. I really like small vapes. So I can take them with me if I head out. I them the disappear in my front pocket. That's important to me. I feel the Ghost doesn't fit that bill. The FF2 does. The FF2 fits all the requirements I'm looking for. Portability, on demand, and amazing taste. From what I can tell anyway. Lol.. Oh and my type is Mila Kunis. At least that look anyway. Lol.. Especially in the Jim Beam commercial. That dark smokey hot look.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment