• EconMan
    I'm about to hit 37 and working my 10th season in the Alps. I have told myself I need to stay away from the big jumps this year, last time I was here I blew my knee out on a landing and it has not the same since.standingsideways

Last time I went to CO, I of course went snowboarding and I came face to face with my aging.... it was of course still fun, and I always have a blast.... but I can "feel" the stress on my joints now.... lol

I still do the killer slopes, but as you implied, I do them purposely a little slower than I used to :)
  • standingsideways
    @EconMan
    There is no beating old father time. The good thing is the kit these days is getting so much better that the margin of error and performance is way beyond what it used to be. Compared to my current set ups my original boards would be like riding a wardrobe door down the mountain. The new kit allows for more creativity, possibilities and so much more forgiving. Still waiting on the hover board though, I hope we get to see that before I'm to old to have a go.
  • EconMan

Absolutely. There is even a name for it -- "The Red Queen Phenomena" -- the boards, boots, gear, get better which puts MORE stress on your body structure. I went to school in CO and was on the slopes every weekend during the season.... I miss it. Now it's only on vacations, and I am always made so happy to meet arrogant little 21yo shits, so reminiscent of myself, lay it up against a tree and choke on some snow. lol
  • standingsideways
    @EconMan
    Interesting, but yeah I see what you mean. I guess the bigger the possibilities the more gymnastic you get and the greater the chance of injury. I will see how well my body has coped by May when the lifts close, hopefully this old dog will have stuck a few new tricks. Lots of powder runs and ski lift vape session between now and then, I can't wait.
  • bum karacho
    aqigcxjn5tsg271w.jpeg
    i can`t remember my skate time.i was young everything was new( and i took a lot of the new things when i was young)
    but i remember SHOE GOO !
    best thing for your airwalk`s!
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    @bum karacho ohh man i rember that stuff too, it came in the ridicoulus metal tube that would always tear open! Shoe savers man
  • LabPong
    Respect Sir, absolutely the way to go. I'm about to hit 37 and working my 10th season in the Alps. I have told myself I need to stay away from the big jumps this year, last time I was here I blew my knee out on a landing and it has not the same since. I'll never give it up though just have to focus on freeride more and I'm happy to say I can still kick the young bloods ass at blasting down the hill. If I ever get to a point where I can't ride there really will be nothing left to do in life but vape my brains out.standingsideways

If I got on my snowboard again.....I would have a hard time not going full on and trying to ride like I did 25-30 years ago.

Here is a shot of me back in CO doing my daily grind. Circa 1988!

LarrysRockCO.jpg

Now....I prefer the softer stuffs haaa

HugoNC.jpg
  • Dr green thumb
    that's so cool, I went skiing twice in my life the first time I hit a tree and knocked it over (river birch) and the second time I went off a 25ft cliff and landed in about 7ft of powder. I had better luck with dirt bikes, quads, motorcycles, and sports cars. Looking back I'm amazed that I'm here but also realized I had so much fun.
  • standingsideways
    @LabPong
    Hell yeah, ain't no school like the old school and those short tail powder boards are back with a vengeance, all the big board manufacturers are making them again.
    I lived on the gold coast Australia for 2 years and surfed every day but man its been a long time since i caught a good wave.
  • G-Code
    theLabPong

surfing is hands down the gnarliest sport ever! You can cut yourself, break bones, get decapitated by the lip, drown, AND be eaten by a shark...

Nice pics! :up:

Sorry the quote should have been
    “Now....I prefer the softer stuffs haaa”
  • LabPong
    Hell yeah, ain't no school like the old school and those short tail powder boards are back with a vengeance, all the big board manufacturers are making them again.
    I lived on the gold coast Australia for 2 years and surfed every day but man its been a long time since i caught a good wave.
    standingsideways

Nice....ya got a couple toothy girls in the waters there.....freaking scares me to think about surfing the gold coast.......haaaa

That board I was riding of the rock ledge was an early prototype to the Burton Safari line....it was a killer deck for riding big terrain, though it was my race deck. 175cm big and broad..but forgiving......I could do everything on it with soft boots....but shortly there after I went hard boots with the race decks. Back then...we pioneers suffered much pain and body damage.....kids got it soft now a days.....but awesome equipment. lol

LabPong
    surfing is hands down the gnarliest sport ever! You can cut yourself, break bones, get decapitated by the lip, drown, AND be eaten by a shark...

Nice pics! :up:
    G-Code

Thanks much! Yea....it is not hard to get injured or messed up surfing....maybe not as harsh with hard slams, swollen and broken body parts....like skating and snowboarding. But I almost put my eye out on a bail into a massive over head shore break....board popped back up into my eyebrow as I was going down. Then I can not count how many times I cut my feet on skates and shells....jelly stings....sea lice caught in your suit....120 degree F sand on the long ass walk across the dunes (North Carolina Pirate surf baby!) Then sun burn, cuts, rashes.......but it is 110% worth it. haaaa

I have surfed/swam with many sharks.....hammerheads like shadow cruising below you I found. :fear:
  • BawlmerMerlin
    1tlobv90pw8rbx12.jpg

I'm a little late to the party, but here is my quiver of boards, all of which were made by me except the slick Gecko slalom board on the far left. I don't get out on them like I used to do, as I am getting up there in years like everybody else, but they are ready when I am!
  • standingsideways
    @LabPong
    I have surfed/swam with many sharks.....hammerheads like shadow cruising below you I found. :fear:LabPong

It's the craziest feeling for sure. Yeah you make a good point about the Goldie, the bull sharks are the ones to watch out for but the thing that I'm more afraid of there is the freaking box jelly fish. The sharks leave you along but if one of those is around it's game over.:death:
  • Gman
    I've gone through about 100 boards in my years. Good thing I no longer break them going down handrails or big stairs. Now I just stick to land tricks and small curbs. If I ollie too high I feel the blood slam down in my hands when I land... getting old sucks.
  • G-Code
    Tyshawn Jones won Thrasher Magazine Skater of the Year 2018 just 2 days ago. He’s only 19 years old and can nollie kickflip over a vertical trash can!
    Just for clarification that’s a trash can that’s standing up the regular way, not turned over on it’s side...
    Not my favorite skater, but when I looked him up on YouTube I was very impressed :clap:
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    This is spencer williams the craziest skater street skater sincd rodney mullen. He was the stunt double for the amazing spider man and if you make it to the end of the video this mawfq does a front flip down a set of stairs and onto his board https://youtu.be/BT_45XGhE1o
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    That was some impressive skating. I must admit I never thought I'd hear Bon Jovi in a skate vid. The Dead Kennedy's or the Decendants, sure, but shot to the heart.... Lol I guess times have changed
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    @SouthboundPachyderm this guy is just on another level. Hes the one changing the times for sure.
  • standingsideways
    @Tyedyesamuraiguy @LabPongqmg74n07h07bbyvg.jpg

Great video man.
    This was me this morning getting my davinchi micro wake and bake chairlift session on. It does not get any better.
  • UbarDog

Now that is vaping with style :D

Is that a cloud or "a cloud" lol
  • EconMan

this picture makes me darn jealous :)
  • Dose
    I used to skate a lot, mostly street and occasional some park (Cheap Skates for anyone from PA). Joined the military and got banged up and haven't touched a board since.

Recently I've been watching a ton of Braille Skateboarding on youtube and have this itch to pick up a long board or even an eboard to cruise around. To be honest not sure when I'd have free time to do this with commuting, working and family time, but the itch is there none the less.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    @Dose incorporate the fam. I know its a bit of a rarity but my wife loves to board.
  • Magicman
    @"Dr green thumb

You will pay my lawyers for stealing my moves.
  • Dose
    @Dr green thumb - I remember watching Rodney Mullen do a kickflip underfilp for the first time.. MIND BLOWN!

I miss that era.. Eric Koston, Muska, Hawk, Mullen etc. I miss the Philly Toy Machine crew (Kerry Getz, Bam Margera, Mike Maldonado etc.)

Josh Kasper's mellon slap at Carlsbad Gap was iconic footage as well. RIP Carlsbad!
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    Okay so how trippy is this pun intended there mawfqs grew their surfboard company out of mushrooms https://youtu.be/RERthhFJ4BE
  • EconMan
    Speaking of skating, I love :love: Candice Heiden:love: (center with white shirt and flowery jean shorts).

Sometimes I just love watching them skate down the road :cool:

Chet Faker "Skating" video
  • Dr green thumb
    she would eat you alive
  • EconMan
    she would eat you aliveDr green thumb

I am certainly not opposed to being eaten by her :naughty:
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike