• LabPong
    Bum.....that rig is not at all compatible to mine.....it needs it's own thread lol

How would one hold it without loosing a finger or two? :chin:
  • bum karacho

i love that old school dabbing bowl WoW !

Inside the Glass Studio of a Guy Who Makes $100,000 Pipes
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/dp39nm/first-person-shooter-marijuana-glass-blower-jop-glass
    https://aqualabtechnologies.com/collections/jop-glass
    you need more chick´n @zancru
    3ng96joo802e50fj.jpg
    8a5bt9wyrggre9w5.jpg
    5ncz7q57dc66b90j.jpg
  • UbarDog
    I like that angler fish the best . Should we move it over here now ?
    https://forum.vapelife.com/discussion/2251/show-off-your-glass
  • LabPong
    I like that angler fish the best . Should we move it over here now ?UbarDog

Not really.......unless you want to compare to my rig....but why? lol

Actually I would like to see others "scientific type glass rigs" in this thread if possible. Basically, my point to make this thread was to show others how you can change many glass rigs and make them work better.
  • MothChewMoth
    in re-reading this, I had two questions. Perhaps you answered them but it wasn't clear to me.

First, is there a reason to not just use 18mm on everything since that's generally standard now?

Second, what's the purpose of the drop down? Just extra cooling?
  • LabPong
    ↪LabPong
    in re-reading this, I had two questions. Perhaps you answered them but it wasn't clear to me.

First, is there a reason to not just use 18mm on everything since that's generally standard now?

Second, what's the purpose of the drop down? Just extra cooling?
    MothChewMoth

Moth......
    I do not feel 18mm is a standard at all......I see more 14mm stuff and it is easier to use and adapt than 18mm parts. I mainly have 14mm joints on my main rigs no matter what size they are....except the mobius clones I have. But also I use glass for every vape almost so 14 works better for me because I use a vapcap, multiple arizers, and I can adapt my 14mm drop downs from rig to rig easy this way.

Drop downs do a few things.....

If you are using a vape like the Elev8r or other hot ass bowl areas (flowerpot).....then it moves the heat off your face.

A dropdown can also add volume and help smooth out the "chug" on some rigs. A couple small rigs I have I would not use bigger vapes with....but adding the dropdown makes them more usable for more vapes.

A dropdown will keep the main rig much cleaner and you can clean the dropdown quickly.

Plus.....dropdowns are just cool.....makes you look like a vape stud! lol

When you select a dropdown to purchase....make note of where the 2 joints are in a vertical line. Some dropdowns are not even drop downs....they are more like side-moves to me....lol I had a need to lower the joint I connected a specific vape to because it would be way too tippy if I did not......so it can also be a balancing tool as well.

Those are just my observations and opinions from how I vape and my experience.
  • Baron23

This is just my opinion, but I believe the main reason to have a drop down is to move the heat away from the joint on your expensive rig. Drop down are pretty cheap so if your nail expands and breaks a joint, it’s the joint on the drop down and not the rig.
  • LabPong
    MothChewMoth
    ↪LabPong

This is just my opinion, but I believe the main reason to have a drop down is to move the heat away from the joint on your expensive rig. Drop down are pretty cheap so if your nail expands and breaks a joint, it’s the joint on the drop down and not the rig.
    Baron23

Baron....if that is the reason you or others would use a drop down for.....good deal! I never use anything that gets the main joint below the bowl hot enough to worry about. I can see if you use the metal flowerpot bowls or torch metal dabb rigs....this would be a huge help.

The only hot time I give my joints is when I do rosin on a healthstone with the elev8r and coil. But I can still lift off the bowl just to clear it.

TLDR......a dropdown is a tool that can be used for several different reasons.
  • MothChewMoth
    good info on the different uses. I'm debating if I want a setup similar to yours, Lab, or if I'm picking up a stereo matrix with drop down to accommodate an EVO.

Or maybe even something else wild if I come across it :lol:
  • Baron23
    I didn’t say that they aren’t.

But I’m pretty sure that is their original purpose.
  • EconMan
    Love all this glass.. Recently bought a Puffco Peak, and I am stunned at the beautiful and creative 3rd party glass replacements, so many as much or more than the Peak itself !

Puffco Peak Custom Glass

I could get into glassblowing.

I find the "stickiness" of culture and institutions fascinating, especially its history. I've only recently learned the reason so many dab rigs (especially among older ones) came with a male joint. You see, I've never actually used a literal "glass nail" (with globe) that hits the joint itself with heat. But it is as you describe -- a "sticky" innovation to prevent male joint expansion into a colder female base, cracking the unit itself. Better to have a hot female expanding around a cooler male base.

I remember when I first started dabbing, I thought what is a "domeless nail" and why have I never used a "domed nail"? And for that matter, why is it called a nail when in fact it is a quartz bucket? :joke:
  • Baron23
    One of the reasons that...for a while...many (most?) oil rigs were made with a male joint was, as you mentioned, the possibility of cracking a joint (especially on heady glass with hand made joints) but another is sticking.

with a male joint, the potential for sticking from reclaim seems less and then they went with direct inject....a tube out of the bottom of the nail/banger that provided a vapor path that cleared the joint so reclaim would fall directly on your drop down (or rig if you want).

Seems that we are mostly back to female joints which I tend to favor (in that case, why do I have a few male joint rigs...sigh).

Cheers
  • EconMan

I like it. I love it!
    What I want is a "Great Seal" one... triangular/pyramid with the all-seeing eye (that makes the illuminati chasers foam at the mouth) as a mouthpiece, and "Annuit Coeptis: Novus Ordo Seclorum" on a thick base, with $dollar signs$ as recycler tubes.... all done in clear, green, and gold.
    tis a dream and outsourcing project I see...
  • MothChewMoth
    what about Bill Cipher?
    1ns44yz069ywvmr1.png
  • EconMan

That would work too! The BowTie could be the bowl :)
  • LabPong
    LabPong
    I didn’t say that they aren’t.

But I’m pretty sure that is their original purpose.
    Baron23

Oh...no that was not my point....it was only that I had no idea it was an original purpose for using it.
  • Gryfin
    Been looking at getting some kind of glass but theres a lot of things to consider. Choosing a vape was easier
  • Ctipp22
    Im just using the J hook. but I have a bong in the garage. What are your favorite parts about the G43 so far?
  • LabPong
    ↪LabPong
    Im just using the J hook. but I have a bong in the garage. What are your favorite parts about the G43 so far?
    Ctipp22

How easy it is to use
    How fast it medicates......and it medicates extremely well
    How clean it can stay
    How well you can control the extraction process......ie heat variance
    How cool it makes me..... :victory:
  • Ctipp22
    Have you cleaned it yet?
  • LabPong
    ↪LabPong
    Have you cleaned it yet?
    Ctipp22

Only 2 "soak through's" and a few minor qtip/iso wipes. My rig has no back blow so I think I might be able to go longer than others that use water rigs. Plus I clean it out pretty well after evAery load. The Boundless brush they include with their vapes works really well for keeping the G43 bowl area clean. never brush when it is still hot! Unless you have a metal brush...

The only part that gets all the mess is the basket screen at the bottom. Good that Bud includes an extra so you can let one soak and use the other. It is almost like the same situation as the MV1 crucible lids getting gunked up.....about the same pace.....usually 2-3 bowls and I am ready for a clean one. Although it was easy to poke out the holes in the crucible lids after each use...but you get the idea.....it cakes all the resy gewy stuffs quick as the mesh on these basket screens.

If anyone knows of these basket screens with a larger mesh...let us know...they are 1/2 inch.
  • Dr green thumb

n0t8wv0bh1gsg6h5.jpg

Like these?
    I found on ebay
  • Ctipp22
    Also Ddave might have some
  • LabPong
    Like these?
    I found on ebay
    Dr green thumb

Those look like the same ones....very fine mesh....
  • EconMan

The struggle is real. It is much harder for me to select glass than to select a device. There is an upscale store near me where they sell amazing glass. They will let you try it with water before buying,,,, and the rig you select absolutely determines the personality of your sessions. A good rig gets the flow right for you. I find myself lately being drawn to smaller yet elegant designs with less gimmicks.

Lastly, if you're near broke, better to spend your $ on banger quality perhaps rather than glass quality. Good quartz is just delightful. First thing I did with my Puffco Peak is order quartz buckets :)
  • chmpgnsupern0ver
    Damn I am inspired by this post. I think I want to build something similar to use with a log vape (woodscents) and vap cap. I dont think I would really need the drop down for that right?

And what if i used this pipe instead? https://www.dhgate.com/product/2014-new-matrix-sidecar-glass-bong-birdcage/214701656.html?skuid=460161906886623234#review-1-null
  • UbarDog

I have the exact same one on the way to me now, For Woodscent/Vapcap it should be 100% a-ok
    :D I got it with G-43/Log Vape and Cap in mind.
  • Imallergictocats
    Herbalizer or Silver Surfer to new livestream-inspired matrix-percolated glass.aoklasdzvjm6vn2a.jpeg
    rau7x74jrq7y1j70.jpeg
    Dynavap M adapted in...
    qa13kopmaxbzboep.jpeg
    Definitely going to enjoy this day off...
  • juxt

Nice rigs! Those mouthpieces are special, are they custom?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment