• Pakalolo2
    Daddy wants one
  • Paxhead
    I need and want a blue one. :smile:
  • Chandler
    Should last a lot longer than the Portside Mini, as the Mini has very low Mah compared to what you can put in these.GrumpStump
    Anyone have experience with this? Portside mini vs FD battery comparison?
    the smallest IH currently available...you should give the Flux Deluxe a hard lookfluxerheaters
    I am indeed brother. Been following your thread on FC. FD appears a touch thinner than the Psm, but perhaps slightly longer?

I like your thoughtfulness in adding a carry case, rubber band, battery monitor.
    I have a psm, but I'd like to support the movement and see the differences/improvements...

When you mention using higher quality components, (no disrespect to Pipes) , is it safe to assume that the parts inside the Psm are of lower quality than FD?

Thanks
  • Mangu
    I believe when he mentions “higher quality components” he means that cheaper options were available but he decided to spend a little more on the better quality option...
  • Chandler
    @Mangu thanks. That's what I figured as well. But I also figure that @fluxerheaters has also seen and compared the components of the portside mini
  • fluxerheaters
    When you mention using higher quality components, (no disrespect to Pipes) , is it safe to assume that the parts inside the Psm are of lower quality than FD?Chandler

I want to preface my response by highlighting this first: no disrespect to Pipes Every Dynavap IH maker on the scene owes a huge debt of thanks to Pipes for showing us the tech and giving us examples of how to make it work. I see my design as evolutionary, and it follows the general approach introduced in his initial efforts.

Our devices were built with slightly different goals in mind: he was building from a blank canvas, and I had the benefit of seeing both the Portside and the PSM before I started designing mine. It's easier to hit a target when you can see it :wink:

The core of many (most? almost all? every other one but mine?) of these Dynavap IHs is the Mini ZVS 5-12VDC IH heater, widely available on Amazon, banggood.com, etc. These are very cheaply made devices - when I was doing my initial research, I bought 40 of them for $3.50 each, so I could mess around with them. They are great for what they are, but they offer room for improvement if you want to build something better. They don't use very good MOSFETs, for one thing - the Mini-ZVS's work OK, but there are better-suited MOSFETs for a 12V powered IH , such as the NVD5890NLT4Gs I use (the tech explanation is longer than I want to get into here, but FC user Stardustsailor has an excellent post documenting this very subject, if you are interested).

In contrast to the Mini-ZVS heater, the Flux Deluxe's heater is my own design. I drew up the schematic, and I chose which components to use to make it. I do all of the soldering and construction (apart from the battery management circuit and the PWM relay, which are off-the-shelf components). It should be better - more of it is hand made, with a lot of attention to detail.

Another difference is in the quality of the magnet wire used to make the work coil: the Mini ZVS uses wire that is only fair, while I use much better quality, higher copper content, 200°C capable US-made wire, in a smaller size/gage that's better suited to heating a Dynavap instead of an iron bolt. You can read about effects of this difference in the early reviews - my users are reporting smoother hits and more consistently shaded ABV. The small improvements add up to a produce a better overall user experience.

I don't know if you are familiar with guitar amplifiers (another hobby of mine), but I would liken the Deluxe to a "boutique" guitar amp: it does the same thing as a regular heater, but every component was selected to be the best possible for the budget under consideration, and I expanded that component search to include some components that were out of budget but clearly the best for the task (the on/off switch comes to mind, as does the original switch debounce sub-circuit).

So...yes, the components in my heaters are better than the others, because I looked at what was being used, and I chose to use better ones.
  • Chandler
    @fluxerheatersthank you sir. Wonderful explanation. I'm about to get on the list!
  • Magicman
    @fluxerheaters
    Call me and take my money!
  • Pakalolo2
    Ordered mine last week and I cannot wait for your email when you're ready to ship! I gotta a couple of new Dynavaps to break it in now!

:up:

Just ordered some for the Fluxer Deluxe last night! Thanks for the recommendation!

:cool:
  • GrumpStump
    I'm still happy as hell with mine. I haven't used a torch since getting it. Hope you like yours!
  • Pakalolo2
    Thanks Grump, I know I will. I've tried using a torch with my "M" and nearly burned the modem on my desk! Like I said earlier. me and torches are dangerous!

:fire: :scream:

Looking forward to christening my new Omnivap Ti with this new Fluxer as soon as I can (3-4 more weeks). Thanks again for your advice and comments

:up: :cool:
  • fluxerheaters
    @Pakalolo2
    @GrumpStump

Thanks for the support, guys! Glad yours is still making you happy, GrumpStump! The goodie bag for all of the first batch owners is finally going out tomorrow, so look for yours.

Pakalolo2 - Thanks for your patience! I think it will be rewarded. :up:

Cheers!
  • GrumpStump

WOW! Thanks!!! Looking forward to it!!!
  • Pakalolo2
    Thank you!

That is so cool! Like I am stoked and ready for it when you’re able to ship!

:cool: :up:
    Received mine today. Here it is in gunmetal and 14mm coil. Compared in size to a Portside Mini “PSM”. The 14mm Fluxer heats hotter and faster then the PSM but it’s a little harsh. After only two bowls I prefer the PSM, I get a couple more cooler heat cycles per bowl. They also make a 16mm coil that heats a little slower that might be similar. I’m glad I have both and I’m sure I’ll tune in the Fluxer process to get exactly what I want. Fluxer battery should last about 3 times as long running 3000mah 18650s. I honestly walk past 3 torches looking for my PSM so having two induction heaters in the house is going to be awesome! These little IH are game changers!
    s13kaobcokh3tvzq.jpeg
    zb5ljt8avu4v59ok.jpeg
    c4jy0vss6rvvjmkg.jpeg
    fypof0sxy1g067pc.jpeg
    ouprwi1l5d01ubji.jpeg
    ryxyzwz5xceic3se.jpeg
    jvcnmfez0ul45jb6.jpeg
    oq4wkh9h16zyv818.jpeg
    fx4hbc0ae8d59x9m.jpeg
    z45lo18zq86wdyd3.jpeg
  • Pakalolo2
    Congrats 52!
    That looks to be ready to play.
    Kinda sexy too!
    :up:
  • GrumpStump
    I still love my Fluxer. I use it everyday. I did turn the heater down to about the middle on the dial. Much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MboakLFy9Ec

Ok, thought mine came turned all the way down because it was already full counter clockwise. I see in the video that’s full power. I’ll turn mine down and see. Thanks!!
    Dialed the temp control down and it’s just about perfect now! Thanks again
  • bulllee
    Please add me to your list
  • GrumpStump
    You're welcome. I thought mine was too hot also, and that video came out a few days after I received my Fluxer. Almost perfect timing.
  • Magicman
    iv0w8nrio4e9vd29.jpg

I went with the 14mm coil. Will VapCap make me shelve the Grasshopper. I doubt it, but now I will have a great alternative.
    I have found that if I grind finer and do NOT pack the Ti tip but rather tap on the tip and let it compact on its own that I can fit just about as much as when I grind course and pack. This works much better in my 14mm coil. I use my DV almost exclusively now and getting to know it becomes a relationship, lol.
    u6luzi1njstvsoys.jpeg
  • ReeferMan
    yo85ejuod6vp3d04.jpg

A 4-month wait is over. Who has battery suggestions?
    Samsung 35E
  • Chandler
    B
    Who has battery suggestions?ReeferMan

Best option for Canadian residents?
    Received my 15mm coil(sent my 14mm back to change to 15mm) unit today and WOW it’s perfect! My 14mm was just too hot “for me”, others love the 14. Received it back all updated with a couple extras too. Thanks Jeff!!
    t16z3dj5wtgxtb56.jpeg
    3ghmy41zcllsbexc.jpeg
  • Pakalolo2
    It looks awesome! Please let us know how it performs and any other observations you have.
  • fluxerheaters
    Looks great, @Startedat52.

@Pakalolo2 - Yours will be on deck very soon :)
  • Pakalolo2
    That is AWESOME my man Jeff! :cool: I can't wait..been a loooong winter my friend. Thanks for the update. :up:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment