• iamcanadian
    Fellow cannabiseurs:

(I apologize if this topic is already addressed elsewhere in the forum; I have not been successful with the search facility here).

How dark do you vape your flower before you swap for fresh herb? Is there a rule of thumb you follow to decide when your bowl is cooked?

I personally stop drawing on a bowl as soon as I taste 'burnt popcorn' in the vapor. I'm sure I'm discarding some cannabinoid and terpene content, but I think it's diminishing returns once that popcorn taste begins.

My ABV discards look like this from my last 10 bowls.

gaVo_QKmhLsYo7IrRJ0T1HC9mafHHFEXgpE4MWXgSFgZbRBm0NW8KbgCgvAgr8cl7JR6bass07SlWJ7TW214kb8AAHNnEcvu4FAz3QPRqku1njTX-A3R5R06MmoV13iUW0SLmSjZAc8KU4IUecY4740ZfLvT9VeiSJHQsKwed6GIujCjtr0ecNs68sxkYmC0XLYiFKGZMte18PhaXgw-81VefLuwMioF39-aIAymrmhLjT5DbJPPSvNpaIAf5AlfnGx9JdytRNQBgeLAuWpGGFw3CU-xO3P8BCeyHsDVQ1bnuFZOFJsnhKflNueyxnCdxyjgALo7ifkALr_Ex1FCW1lC-D5JdIDkWO3ybF_TkpcZ0A29yF0fEDdQSaWxgNkhEbqJuDSk8rUwsvioBf5o1k1NIDJkaZqkpnkMPu25n7lDCZhKmlFQyzOppKBTmDryjwQGE3lbUwplBEgErkJ_hUhb39YGFen5AZsdk-L7NwjoDWMxAe_mLQGeGO9TlxtFoU4G2Vi7rPZs_qCTo-FjiuGzx_Vn4CGwRixV-ffeES_w_DKirNEncjSpkigiEAf4GQufq4D0ESaX2axK3sDRi_IVr6qInBxItnlQ-evF-Ehuhj79ioYeThmOqXHrBadsAzNAtmhMx_tza0iDZhOcLmCB-w=w1176-h884-no

p.s. I run multiple vaporizers as a medical user

• Arizer Extreme Q
    • Vapir Rise 2.0
    • Grizzly Guru
    • Black Mamba
    • Firefly 2
    • DaVinci Ascent
    • Magic Flight Launch Box

p.p.s. I don't use ABV discards for anything. I don't know if that's a wasted opportunity or not
  • bum karacho

i can see green, thats not good, it should look like tabacco after vaping.....
  • iamcanadian
    ^yeah, those green pieces you see are largely from my Firefly 2. It is leaking in the airway, so the convection heating is not working well.
  • Ctipp22
    Depends what device I am using.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    i vape it until there is nothing left. So dark brown when mines "done" for me i dont think using the avb for butter or anything like that for me would be wprth it. in your case however it looks like it would make a nice butter. You could also make it into a lotion pretty easily and use it topically for pain reilef.
  • Lucic and Chong
    I personally stop drawing on a bowl as soon as I taste 'burnt popcorn' in the vapor.iamcanadian

That's pretty much where I'm at, I don't worry about the color at all. When the flavor starts to turn too much, my sessions done.

I also make coconut oil edibles with my AVB so I'm not overly concerned with fully extracting everything. Whatever I don't vape will end up in my "baking".
  • martinstraka8282
    I don't mind bad tasting hits, so I just keep pulling until I'm not blowing out anything visible anymore.

My AVB is usually a nice even dark brown.
  • McNuggetsTrip
    I tend to vape until there's no more vapor. My AVB looks dark brown but not burnt
  • Dr green thumb
    I vape until either my avb either stops producing vapor, starts tasting burnt, or is a nice golden brown in color.
  • Trix
    Usually dark brown and can tell by the taste that it's spent.
    Always save it and turn into the butter.
  • Magicman
    DERRICK MCMILLON often told me about vaping until the material was black with this OG solo. I told him Crafty was done well before black abv. It starts to taste like straw.
  • juxt
    I used to suck it until it turned to powder (that's what she said)

Now when I get full popcorn taste, no more terps, DUMP THAT SHIT

Except on G43, DGT says NEVER STIR G43
  • EconMan
    I'm almost exclusively taste-triggered. When the taste goes bad, the avb goes in the trash. Except lately, I've been saving it as my friend is into using it for cooking. :vomit:

My FF2 always produces interesting AVB because perhaps, I use such a very coarse grind. Regardless, when the taste goes, so does the bowl.
  • MrGreen
    I also am finished when the burnt popcorn taste starts.
    I have 4 ounces of of abv that will be repurposed into a tincture over the holidays.
    I wash for 7 days
    Dry in the oven
    Soak in 70% absinthe
    Filter and evaporate until all that is left is resinous oil.
    Then I incorporate that into mct oil
    My target potency is approximately 3-5 mg thc per drop
    It has a nice herbal taste and packs a punch
    Very economical except for the absinthe
  • iamcanadian

Absinthe! OMG that sounds wicked. Do you think it affects flavor? Has anyone studied if the thujone compound transfers from the absinthe?
  • MrGreen
    The fennel, anise and wormwood flavours meld nicely with the herb.
    The hallucinating effect of thujone seem be but a myth even in large amounts.
  • keenlyside
    So, not meaning to sound like a dick. I vape maybe the first one or two flavor pulls and then I dump it in my AVB can. I like these pulls the best, very terpy. I have lots of flower/strains and I have a low tolerance so I just vape the best part (for me).
  • To the Cloud
    depends which vaporizer, you will get more from a conduction vape than convection. I try to vape until it is done, but when you are sucking for 10 seconds only to get little if any vapor then time to reload. Obviously it's no longer green but large variance between conduction vapes at 410+ and convection under 400. One thing that is fun to do when comparing two vapes is see if you can take the ABV from one and put it in the other( and vice versa) and get anything else out of it to find which is the master extractor.
  • twhc291
    460proqlyb8mu74l.jpg

That dark. I run a MVT, DynaVap M (2018) and
    a mighty
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention