• cheeseheadvaper
    Hello folks,

I'm strongly considering buying a rosin press. I've gone back-and-forth about buying the parts and building my own or just buying a ready to go unit from Nugsmasher. After I buy nice plates, a good press, etc. the cost is almost the same as a Nugsmasher OG.

Are there competitive brands to the Nugsmasher? I've done a ton of research and come up with very few. I've researched Rosin Tech, NewVape, Low-Temp, etc. but haven't found much that compares to the 12 ton pressure and 4x4 plate size.

Please let me know your feedback on Nugsmasher. If you have experience with the Original version i'd be interested to hear your experience using the press. Let me know what some good alternatives are as well. I want to get the most value for the money spent.
  • McNuggetsTrip
    The question is will it be worth the money? Imo I think they don't save you much money and are only good if you are a constant user of dabs or sell locally (secretly :wink: )
  • Baron23
    Look at Dabpress all-in-ones also

https://www.dabpress.com/collections/hydraulic-rosin-heat-presses

I have a NewVape press. Mo' money cause made in USA by USA machinist with some true added value over less expensive presses. I know that probably won't sway a lot of folks for the difference in money, but worth looking at them at least, yeah?

By the by, when looking at NV presses please note that BVA hydros are the industry gold standard with lifetime warranty and are indeed in a different class that hydros from Northern Tool. NV also makes on using a Harbor Freight bottle jack for less money....but BVA is the Cadillac of hydro cylinders and pumps in this class of device.

Just some thoughts.

Also, look at https://www.rosinpressny.com/List/Products This is what Bud squishes with and the fella running it is a nice guy. I did some business with him and was very satisfied.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
  • cheeseheadvaper
    The ability to make and refill my own vape cartridges will totally be worth it.
  • cheeseheadvaper
    I have had good experiences with New Vape. I'll look into their presses. They build high-class stuff so I know they are a bit more expensive. IMO you get what you pay for.

I was hoping to stay int he $800-100 range. However, if I get the New Vape I like with the BVI 10 ton will set me back $1900.... Much to consider.

Which model do you have?
  • Baron23
    Oh, I have the Micro-20 which he doesn't even show anymore.

Its a custom frame all-in-one with BVA hydros and its a T-72 tank. OG price was like $3,200 then he dropped it to $2,500 and now I don't even seen it listed on his site....they may be upgrading the site though. But I think price points have driven him to the Tegridy line and his BVA kits are now at a lower price point.

This is my press

b639rq3pg3d7q9e1.jpeg
    o01h44m1wksparuw.jpeg
  • McNuggetsTrip
    I would totally do it then. Try to find something small no need to get a big press like bud
  • cheeseheadvaper
    You have a nice setup! Tell me more about the BVA pumps and why they are so good.

If I buy the NewVape BVA will the BVA 300 be enough or should I upgrade to the 1000? Which do you have?

The NewVape presses look like they are built much nicer than most of the others on the market. I think I will spend the extra money.
  • EconMan

I've researched presses a bit myself. Bought two in the last year.

What is your budget? How often will you use it? What size squishes are you interested in? Personal use, or are you wanting to squish some inventory. Do you want/need to use micron bags?

The most important thing is the plates and their heater's temperature variance... the actual mechanical "press" part being somewhat elementary. The other bells and whistles are convenience, which over time can become rather valuable, depending on volume goals. (try pressing an oz on 2x3 inch plates -- takes a while! - lol)

I have a $230 & a $900 press. Honestly, if I want a quick dab for myself and/or a friend, I use the little cheap one. 5 minutes from plugin to Rosin dab. By the time I have my pre-pressed "cylinder" made it's heated up to temp. 2 minutes after that I have a dab ready. The larger, heavier, and bulkier more expensive presses have a "setup cost" associated with them. I've recently got into using micron bags and doing larger-scale squishes, so the larger and more automated unit really shines when I have large surface area (more total pressure needed) with repetitive squishes.

But one thing I know for certain. The $900 one does NOT produce better or more abundant Rosin. No connoisseur could ever guess which press it came out of.
    A friend has a machine shop and already had an industrial press there. So he bought heated plates and a controller... and he rarely uses it. Not because it didn't work, it did, but because he only uses it in his machine shop. It is not something he can just take home easily. So he bought a little cheap press just like mine. (Dulytek M800 - $230) and uses it probably at least twice as often.

A bit of advice I learned along the way. When Rosin press manufacturers start marketing with "yield" stats, I would run like hell to any other manufacturer. I am almost certain if a correlational study was done, press brand is insignificant with respect to real yield. Most significant is the flower; then the experience and knowledge of the squisher.
  • cheeseheadvaper
    I appreciate the valuable feedback. I plan to use it for personal use and squeeze anywhere between 3, 7 or maybe even 14g.

I am trying to keep the purchase below $1000. The things I’m considering is do I “need” a pressure gauge? I am looking at either a 3x5 Dabpress or a unit by NewVape. I think I’ve eliminated the Nugsmasher. Seems overpriced compared to cheaper version with similar features. The NewVape presses seem to be built very well.

Does your expensive unit have a pressure gauge?
  • Baron23
    Yes. It does have a pressure gauge (see pic above).

Without a gauge you’re just guessing IMO.
  • cheeseheadvaper
    Does your more expensive pump have a pressure gauge?

I like NewVape's new Tegridy 20 ton. I'm between that model and the smaller 10 ton with the BVA pump and gauge. I could always add the gauge to the Tegridy but I'd prefer not to mess around with it. The new Tegridy with a gauge added to it will cost $1500. If I buy the 10 ton with the BVA pump it will be $1850. I'm debating if the better pump and gauge is worth sacrificing the plate size from 4x7 to 3x5.
  • EconMan

My "expensive" Dulytek is the DW6000. Mostly what I like about it is it is ALL electric, very "programmable," and it's "footprint" is nevertheless small. Mine did not come with a pressure gauge but they do have an option now apparently to add one. I have not found the need to have one, but its importance becomes more important the more automated the system is. If I was pressing quarter pounds in bags on giant plates, I would want one. I've only had this one a few days, and I do like it for larger squishes.
    HOWEVER, for personal use it's hard to beat my little M800. The handle is my "pressure gauge" and I can "use the force Luke" :nerd: to FEEL it, since it is not hydraulic..... I can feel the pre-pressed puck melting, getting softer, my hand less heavy on the lever, and then and only then do I go for the money shot -- shatter-like Rosin. I've learned pressing good Rosin on my M800 is a lot like having good sex; it requires lots of foreplay. :fire:

Truth is, you do not need nor want high pressure. In fact, you want the least pressure possible while still getting a significant "squish". On my cheap little M800 with 1 measly ton of total possible pressure, is plenty of psi on its 2x3 plate surface, especially without bags since the entire surface area is not utilized anyway. Too high of pressure with heat results in excessive unwanted plant matter "exploding" and the rosin tastes like vegetative crap. In theory, you want to heat and press in a manner that minimizes "burning" while getting out most of the essential medicinal oils, WITHOUT the waxes, lipids, and other plant matter corruption.

Re Nugsmasher. I too was enamored at first, but my judgement is they are "gimicky" and their prices are too high for what one gets. I'll put my $230 Dulytek M800 against their $500 "mini" model any day.
    Theirs does NOTHING my M800 doesn't do and at twice the price. Not that familiar with the NewVape presses, so I can't comment much on them. I'm sure they are good units. The couple people I know who use them are happy.

I did have a need to use Dulytek CS last week, a rivet nut snapped off on the handle assembly of my M800 last week, but it was not a defect (I was being a moron). I wrote them wanting to buy a simple bolt, they responded with .. we have determined there is a design fault on this model and we will send you an entirely new lever assembly for it.... no charge once they confirmed my purchase.... So I'm happy very with their service.

Regarding plate size total costs, I say no, it is not worth sacrificing plate size, given what you've said about use. Seems a major reason to have an "expensive" press (relative I know) is capacity and configurability.

And I always like do-it-yourself solutions.... if you're up to spend the $, and have the time, go for it. That way you know exactly what you've got and how it works. I've seen a few hydraulic self-made presses and they worked quite well. However, they each had about $2k in theirs.

For the money you are considering, you may want to look at the DULYTEK DE10k. Too much $$ for me to justify expending.
  • Tdog420
    I have had nug smasher mini for 1 and a half years works great usualy get a 20 percent yeild wihtout using bags and and a lifetime guarantee
  • EconMan

All that really matters is that you like it and are happy with your purchase. Awesome :)
    A lady I am dating loves the PAX3. I hate the PAX3. If you gave me one, I would give it to her.
    I love dabs, and everything dabby, she will ONLY do a dab through my Firefly2. Ying and yang.

Again, I do not judge a particular press brand/model itself as significant with respect to yield variation. The primary determinant variable is the flower itself. Indeed give me great bud and a hair-straightener, and I'll get better results than the most expensive press available with poor quality bud.

I think I identified what turned me off Nugsmasher.... it was their YouTube vids.... One advertising a 30% yield which is just bullshit... turned me off. It totally gave the impression to the ignorant, "buy this press and you too will have 30% yields...."

The existential purpose of using a micron bag is precisely to reduce gross yields, by eliminating contaminates that ordinarily would contribute to the weight of "yield".

The lifetime guarantee is certainly cool (is it for everything?); at least as cool as the life of the company.
    I like the name of their company too. To the point.
    Dulytek only gives three years mechanical, and six months electric. *Almost* did not buy the "expensive" and VERY electric W6000 because of this. Then I broke my M800 being a fool, and they insisted on sending me a entire new handle assembly when all I wanted was a matching bolt.... so they brought me back from my fear and I bought again from them. :)
  • Baron23
    I'm debating if the better pump and gauge is worth sacrificing the plate size from 4x7 to 3x5.cheeseheadvaper

I can't answer that one for you....its a trade off. My plates are 4x7 and I will tell you that this is pretty large.

I will say again....particularly since you plan to squish varying amounts up to a half of an ounce....without a pressure gauge you are either just guessing (although I can't imagine on what basis) or you do like Bud and just pump the jack up as much as you can.

Here is the deal......NO, I do not need 20 tons of pressure to squish.

And where does that 20 tons come from?

Its like this...

1. The hydro pump (any hydro pump) should only be pressurized to 80% of its max. In the case of New Vape and the BVA pump, this pump is rated to 10k psi so max should be right at 8k psi on the gauge.

2. It must be understood that pressure gauges ONLY show you line pressure. They do NOT indicate in any manner the exact pressure, in psi, that is on your load.

3. What this means is that every square inch of your jack cylinder (the part that goes up and down, right?) is exposed to whatever pressure you have on the gauge. If I have 10k on the gauge and have 4 square inches of hydro cylinder area then total available force will be 40k pounds of force total (20 tons, yeah?).

4. So, now I know what the total available force, the question is what is the PSI on each square inch of the actual load. The actual puck of flower? To get this, we would have to divide total force by the number of square inches of my flattened puck.

5. The short version of all of this is: (PSI from Gauge x Jack cylinder area) / area of load = PSI on the Puck

5. Let's take an example of the Micro20 I have.

Hydro cylinder area is 4.3702 sq inches (this is from BVA's documentation and every jack brand/model will be different)

Let's say I pump up to 1,500 psi line pressure

My load is four square inches (2" x 2"...not that big really)

So, (1,500 x 4.3702) / 4 = 1,639 PSI on the load.

You can readily see that the horizontal area of your load is a huge factor. In the above example, if we increased the load size to 16 square inches (4" x 4" and still not huge) the resulting PSI on the load drops down to 410 PSI....too low.

For a 4 x 4 size load, and to get the 1,500 - 2,000 PSI that seems to be in the desirable sweet spot, I would have to crank up the gauge pressure to 6K PSI.

Now, maybe some people can divine this shit without a gauge, but I'm not smart enough to do that.

Hope this is helpful
  • cheeseheadvaper
    Wow, that is what you call feedback. Thank you!
  • Gman
    Wouldn't it be great if every city had a place to go and pay or have a membership to squish your own rosin or make your own ice water hash?
  • Baron23
    haha. I was thinking I should start a co-op group for my Micro20.

It’s way too much press for just me! :cool:
  • EconMan

But sometimes just knowing you have it and "can" is worth something even if intangible. :)
  • Gman
    Well if you ever consider selling it, I know a business that may have a use for it soon :)
  • John Cocktostone
    I want a press solely for making my own carts.
  • Gman
    Well I have the Nugsmasher OG and I love it, easy to use and store. It's overboard if you don't need to ever move it, but it squishes 14G easy.
  • cheeseheadvaper
    Tgats the whole reason I’m getting a press.
  • Dr green thumb
    I would reccomend either the sasquash m1 or the rosin tech pro. Yes these are more expensive and require an air compressor. But they are far more consistent and accurate. Another plus is you wont have one huge arm to explain from all the pumping.
  • John Cocktostone
    I dont want an air compressor. Looking like I'll end up with Buds style which are sold out till feb
  • Dr green thumb
    sorry john, I didn't see your post. For you I'd say go the dulytek route but get the larger press that econ man has.
  • EconMan

Found this video interesting and thought of your post here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjAuZCwQwx4
  • Baron23
    thanks for that link....like to see regular guys (vice Bubbleman and press manf employees) and their results.

PA has brought their med program into fruition much faster and more coordinated than MD. Nice to see this guy has choices in the Pittsburgh areas as PA's program is relatively new.

Cheers
  • McNuggetsTrip
    Has anyone ever pressed avb :chin:
  • Gman
    Oh I also wanted to note that when you keep a small footprint for the puck, but stuff the bag full, so it's really tall. You risk more blowouts because you are putting the same pressure on the same size area with more material. It's got to go somewhere so be careful. So bottle tech has some cons in this sense, but once you know your PSI you can reach before a blowout, you can go to town.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment