• vapey
    Hey Everyone,

I've been a silent reader here for some time now, I recently started using cannabis for medicinal reasons and I've used it for 10+ years recreationally. I was using vape pens with oil cartridges and just don't like it, I prefer real flower. I bought 5 various strains from my dispensary and a Pax3. I like the Pax although I don't like the loading of it and the fact its conduction. So I bought a Ghost MV1 based off all the reviews and videos I've seen ... but I'm highly disappointed and I hope it is me, but I'm doubting it.

I tried everything, have done everything right.

- medium grind not packed tight but full
    - crucible lid is on top and closed right
    - loaded into the door correct, door is shut tight
    - heatsink is set (100%), mouthpiece is good and I did the palm air test several times
    - the unit does turn red when I test it in vape mode, so it seems to heat up but does not vape my flower
    - I tried a few various types of grinds, never fine though so it would not get caught in the unit, but medium, medium coarse, various packing ways, etc ... and this is all after doing it the recommended way which did not work.

I think the unit is defective because q1 out of 10 tries I will get decent vapor and feel the effects. All other times I do not, the bud barely turns color (still green, but not 100% green), certainly not brown like AVB should be.

I contacted Ghost but waiting to hear from them , I spent $395 on the bundle and this is highly disappointing. I hope you guys can maybe point something out that I'm overlooking. But this feels like a defective unit even though it seems to operate correct in my tests (heatsink seal, unit turns red, herb ground right and loaded right).

Help please!
  • Cl4ud3
    If you try using it does the crucible itself get hot to the touch ? if it was getting enough heat the crucibles do get quite hot.

Also you've tried the 5 heat settings ?
  • Dr green thumb
    My avb comes out an even dark brown and I rarely leave level 3. Before you add more heat make sure you have a good seal around everything else as you shouldn't need more heat.

Take your heat sink out. Load crucible then insert crucible close door. Then insert heat sink extend mouthpiece and rip.

I turn unit to level 3 for my use. Triple click lower power button to turn on, then hold lower button to see battery indicator then hold button again to select power level. Level 3 is three amber lights.
  • juxt

It took me a while to get it right as well, and I'll say that if you have wet-ish payload it won't work as well, and you'll have to take more prime type draws. If you've tried everything else, and have damp payload, dry it out on paper beforehand, and make sure your draw speed is moderate but consistent.

I only use power level 4. one red dot.
  • Startedat52
    Make sure you are letting it heat up to the second “buzz” before starting your draw and make sure you keep your finger on the button for a full 12-15 second draw. Most of the vape is made in the second half of the draw, short draw or sips don’t work.
  • ZRN
    I tried a few various types of grinds, never fine though so it would not get caught in the unit, but medium, medium coarse, various packing ways,vapey

Be sure it is not packed too firmly. I don't pack at all, I get fewer hits per crucible but they all taste better. I pour the material into the crucible and tap the side a few times to get it down to level then with my finger push excess off. You also have to draw very gently but not too gently - that was the learning curve for me. Hope somebody's tip helps, it is a wonderful tool for medicating.

Z
  • vapey
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I’ve tried all that, I’m positive the heat sink is set and my herb is good. I have tried 5 different strains, all the same.

The crucible is not that hot in fact, even after several pulls. I can see the unit get red if I take the heat sink out and test it as recommended in other threads so I assumed it was heating but maybe it’s not. That is the only thing that makes sense right now.

My heat setting is on 3 at 392 degrees, but I’ve tried all the dry herb settings.

I’ve had it for over a week, trying dozens of times with 5 types of herbs and no go. I have to assume the unit is bad because clearly people love this vape.

So frustrated

Thanks, I’ve tried that also. I got a plastic cup and put the herb in it and used the crucible to “scoop” up a load, gently tapping sides to remove the excess sticking out of the top so the lid can close.

Thanks guys, I’m st a loss at what to do. Since the laws are how they are, you can’t rwturn these things either. How do these companies expect you to try their product without opening it? That’s the only way this can be returned is if it’s unopen.

And I don’t want to return it, I want it to work :D ... I don’t know what Ghost will do. Waiting to hear.
  • vapey
    Yep, I put it in vape mode by pressing the button 3 times, then I press the vape button and here the first buzz right away, then a second buzz 5-10 seconds later and I start to gently pull from there until the buzz comes again and it stops. I inhale the whole time it is on and I've tried pulling every way; real slow, slow, slow-medium, medium and even fast like I was trying to clear a 6 foot bong. Nothing produces vapor and vapes the buds, only very rare will it produce and work and I can't figure out why. My only guess is the unit is a defect since I've literally tried everything.

The only thing is maybe my bud is not fully dry, although with 5 strains fresh from the dispensary I would not think they would all be wet.

I'll leave some out for a bit to dry more and try again while I wait.
  • McNuggetsTrip
    Some strains don't vape good
  • vapey
    yeah I've heard and experienced this, but all 5 I currently have seems like that is unlikely
  • McNuggetsTrip
    Now that's a pain in the ***. Have you talked to the Ghost team about this?
  • Startedat52
    Have you tried level 5 and or calibrating up? Shouldn’t have to but just wondering. Have you messed with the temps on your app?
  • vapey
    It sure is, major disappointment after dropping $400 and waiting to get it, and buying all fresh herbs to use :(

I'm waiting to hear back from them, but according to their website their warranty seems pretty strict. The problem is, by all visual cues it appears to be fine. It's just not vaping the cannabis.

Meh, going to try a new crucible shortly with herb that's been setting out on paper for 60+min.

yeah I have, I cranked it up to over 400 a few times and no difference. I used the custom setting and normal settings. Only thing I've not tried is concentrates, but I use Kandy Pen Crystal for that and love it.

My only guess is the unit is defective. Battery seems fine, heatsink even seems fine. Has to be the base unit...

One question, even though it passes the heat sink airway test, does your mouthpiece wiggle in the slot? I know not should slide up and down, which I've tried at several lengths, but does yours also move side to side? Basically it's not a tight fit, it can wiggle around up, down., or side to side.

However it passes the palm path test every time. Also, I tried it without the mouthpiece and my lips right on the Ghost just to see, and same result. Sounds funny I know, but I'm desperate to get this working.
  • Cl4ud3
    One question, even though it passes the heat sink airway test, does your mouthpiece wiggle in the slot?vapey

They do wiggle yes.

Sounds like you have tried most things here, I know Ghost will take care of you.
  • vapey
    Thanks, I assumed so since it still was airtight but wanted to be sure.

I hope they do and soon! I want some clouds from this device everyone raves about.
  • Cl4ud3
    Just a last check, have you fully disassembled the heatsink at any time ? might be worth trying to strip and reassemble it as a last resort just to make sure it is all fitted correctly. I know these new ones are harder to put back than the originals but they do have less issues.
  • vapey
    At first I did not, but after several fails I did. I've watched all their videos (man that intro one is long!) and took it apart and reassembled. I've checked it several times in-between also.

About to try a new one with positively dry herb...

And the results with extra dry herb ... negative :(

I cranked it up to full herb setting also, I did taste more but it was a bad burned taste. Little parts of the herb are dark, definitely uneven heating but it is loaded properly and grinned properly.

So higher temps seem to burn parts of the herb, lower to normal temps don't really do anything to it besides take my breath away.
  • Dr green thumb

I have one trick that I do. Take the crucible and heat sink out. While they are removed do two full heat up sessions by pressing the fire button. Then put in the filled crucible and heat sink and try a hit. This would burn off anything possibly in the heater. And should get you some really tasty vapor.
  • vapey
    Thanks for the tip, will try it shortly!
  • vapey
    Was worth a shot, but same results. I talked to Ghost sales on the phone, nice and helpful. Support was busy at the moment, but a ticket is made and they'll be getting back to me soon. Looking forward to getting this resolved :)
  • GHOSTTEAM

Good Afternoon @vapey

Virgil here with GHOST Vapes. Thank you for posting and welcome to the forum. Off the bat, wanted you to know your ticket and chat, both submitted today, have been received and in an effort to keep all information organized, I'll correspond with you through this forum.

While we have found that the MV1 has a learning curve, there's always a possibility that your MV1 is not of adequate quality and we aim to determine that for you quickly. I'll send you a PM shortly to gather your account information so that I have it in the event we need to bring your device in for an evaluation or replace it outright.

Based on your description of the issue, it sounds like you've got a good handle on the unit and that the device has all its basic functionality. That said, lack of vapor, we've found through evaluations and troubleshooting, has been a symptom of another defect in the unit and not the primary reason for failure. If there is any information that has not been included in your post that you think would help me understand the situation better (e.g., there's a series of LED flashing, you're using an adapter; etc.) please share.

I'd like to begin troubleshooting with just a few quick things as I don't want to overwhelm you or anyone following with a thesis worth of information.

+BASICS
    * Take full 15-second draws
    * Misfire - https://goo.gl/E26Szi

+MOUTHPIECE
    * Mouthpiece Technique: imagine you have a straw and you're blowing air through it. Now imagine sucking air out of that straw. THAT is how you pull through the MV1 mouthpiece. Don't sip on it.
    * I know my stem is positioned right when I hear a particular sound when I'm taking a draw (on the higher heat settings 3-5)

Picture reference: https://goo.gl/DR78RD
    Audio of the draw sound: https://goo.gl/MrmDPN

+CLEANLINESS
    * Make sure there's no material build-up/reclaim in the following areas:

https://goo.gl/pLe3y4
    https://goo.gl/kHnHva

I hope this information helps. Looking forward to resolving this for you.

Cheers,
    Virgil from GHOST Vapes 
  • vapey
    Hey Virgil!

Awesome, pleasure to meet you!

your ticket and chat, both submitted today, have been received and in an effort to keep all information organized, I'll correspond with you through this forum.GHOSTTEAM

Thank you for combining them. I wasn't aware a ticket was auto made through the chat feature, sorry for the dupe!

I'll send you a PM shortly to gather your account information so that I have it in the event we need to bring your device in for an evaluation or replace it outright.GHOSTTEAM

Received and replied :)

Based on your description of the issue, it sounds like you've got a good handle on the unit and that the device has all its basic functionality. That said, lack of vapor, we've found through evaluations and troubleshooting, has been a symptom of another defect in the unit and not the primary reason for failure.GHOSTTEAM

Yeah I do feel I've covered everything and took extra time (a week) to make sure it was not user error. Maybe this is a rare defective unit, it's all that makes sense to me at this point.

If there is any information that has not been included in your post that you think would help me understand the situation better (e.g., there's a series of LED flashing, you're using an adapter; etc.) please share.GHOSTTEAM

That's the frustrating part, it all seems to be perfectly in order. My wife and I have inspected it pretty thoroughly, there are no indications of anything being wrong except no vapor. Lights are correct, the seal is good, the heatsink is set and passes the palm test ... I'm starting to think I'm crazy :D

+BASICS
    * Take full 15-second draws
    * Misfire - https://goo.gl/E26Szi
    GHOSTTEAM

Yep, for sure. I hold the button the whole time and inhale at a slow but moderate pull until it vibrates off. Towards the end I can fill the tiniest of changes in my mouth which is probably some vapor coming in, but it's extremely little and basically non visible when I blow out.

Picture reference: https://goo.gl/DR78RD
    Audio of the draw sound: https://goo.gl/MrmDPN
    GHOSTTEAM

Yes, sounds right to me.

* Make sure there's no material build-up/reclaim in the following areasGHOSTTEAM

A little bit of sticky residue was on the heatsink here: https://d.pr/i/zZIrew ... but it wasn't blocking anything and I wiped it real quick and retried with same results.

It is interesting that there is some buildup of residue, it shows it is heating to some degree. And I have got a few decent pulls from it, it's just very rare, like 1 out of 10 I'll see what most would consider average vapor. The fact it does that (heats, residue, rare hits) but has no vapor I guess lends to the defect?

Let me know what else you'd like me to do :)

Thanks
  • GHOSTTEAM

Love the detailed response, thank you. I think it'd be the best use of your time if I forego any additional troubleshooting and bring your MV1 in for a free evaluation for possible repair or warranty replacement.

Just some information on the evaluation process: When a unit is evaluated, we first attempt to replicate the reported issue(s). If successful, the evaluation is complete and we ship you a new MV1. If in the event we are unable to replicate the issue, we ensure your device meets both quality and performance standards. If the unit falls short at any point, we ship you a new MV1. Turnaround time is dependent on where we're shipping and can take anywhere between 5-14 days.

I've requested return shipping labels for you and will email them before today's end via your support ticket. I'll include the easy instructions as well.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation thus far. We'll make quick work of the evaluation and have a device you'll be satisfied with in your hands in no time.

Cheers,
    Virgil from GHOST Vapes 
  • vapey
    Sounds like a plan to me, I appreciate it. I’ll look for the emails and get it out right away.

Thanks for the eval info, good to know. :up:
  • vapey
    @ghost-ops ... one thing I did just notice is that the battery shows half charged on the app even though it is fully charged. I just chArged one of my batteries, put it on and tried a session. I noticed the battery level showed full, then went to half very quick. Then I turned it off by removing the battery, turned it back on and battery showed full again.

I bought the bundle so it came with 2 batteries and fast charger. Could this possibly be a battery issue? I've tried with both btw, and noticed the battery app reading can be off on both. Software issue, firmware or hardware?
  • vapey
    And should I send the entire unit + 2 batteries? I'd like to ensure they are good also and not part of the issue.
  • GHOSTTEAM

Hey there!

There are a few essential items we need returned for the evaluation. Please send in the MV1 body, battery, and heat sink (without the mouthpiece). It's not necessary to send any other accessories.

Usually this is explained in the email when I send you the return shipping labels and instructions. I'll make sure I include them in the email just to be safe. Labels are coming soon.

Cheers,
    Virgil from GHOST Vapes 
  • vapey
    Also the device shows the battery level is full at 3 lights, so maybe that is just a software issue.

How do you reset the firmware?
  • vapey
    Never mind, reset the firmware and still same issue.

I’ll look for the email and send it in.

There is some kind of battery or software issue though, without a doubt. Because I fully charge the batteries and when I use the app, the battery indicator flips back and forth between half full and full. The device always shows it is accurate with 3 full lights, but the connection from device to app is not.
  • vapey
    @ghost-ops I've not received the email with labels yet.

When can I expect the shipping labels and email instructions?
    I was hoping to get this out today since there will be a wait time to get it back.

In fact, is there anyway you guys can send a new one now? I am sending back the old one so wether it is working fine or broke, I will be setup faster.

Taking time to evaluate the product and make the customer wait after a brand new purchase is a bit of a put off tbh. Sorry for being blunt, but it is frustrating.

Thanks
  • marathe
    One trick would be to exhale near some sort of light so you can see exactly what is coming out. Once in a while I'll put in a pod and nothing happens when everything was exactly the same when it worked. I think it's the battery causing some issues every now and then personally.

Sometimes nothing comes out and sometimes a lot comes out and I can't even tell I had the vapor in my lungs. Works *too* well sometimes in that sense.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment