• 710vape666zaddy420
    I've been vaping since July of last year. Started with the Ghost, it was okay. Moved on to the DynaVap in October. It's a major improvement over the Ghost (no comparison IMO), but it's the torches that are difficult to find with the performance, consistency, portability and durability of the DynaVap.

As I'm sure most of you have too, I've spent several months pouring over vape reviews and scouring Instagram for vape users who post function shots, etc. I've come to hold pretty strong opinions about vapes and how misguided the growing industry's development has been.

Too many buttons, too much charging, too much firmware... it's absurd to me, from a design standpoint, that any vape should need a PCB and firmware to simply adjust its own temperature, seeing as a good old knob and pot would do just fine. Who wouldn't much rather turn an analog dial (think Volcano classic vs. digital) than, in the case of my Ghost, hold a button down for three seconds, then ANOTHER three seconds...six seconds wasted... then I have to keep pushing the button which cycles me through 6 different heat settings. For precise temperature variability, I have to LOG INTO MY PHONE and sync with it over BlueTooth just to do that... I mean the fact that this is the vape that everyone on this forum is revering, to me, is evident of serious misguidance... this is OVER ENGINEERING. Just use a fucking knob.

I do favor water pipe compatibility. I almost exclusively vape through water, even on the go. I've also been really curious about incorporating activated carbon filtration into my rig. I think it would be easy to design a vape with the feature built into it, the trick being in designing a system that's easy to swap the carbon out on a regular basis. https://sipipes.com/shop/carbon-filter-adapters/

Modularity is across the board an attractive idea in 21st century design, so that's always something on my mind. Not sure exactly how it would work yet, but I have several possibilities dreamt-up for this application.

Sneaky Pete has definitely guided me to appreciate stealth and portability. To me, this is second only to performance. This is a big reason why I have grown to be impressed the DynaVap's design. Where Dyna falls short is, again, the fact that they only really designed a nail; I have a hard time calling the DynaVap a "vape" because it simply only performs half of a vape's function. The heater (in my case, Colibri triple) is a whole missing part of the design, part of why the DynaVap appears so elegant compared to other vapes (because you are meant to think of it as a vape and not just nail). It'd sure be easy to design a near-perfect vape if vaping did not require a heat source ;)

The quartz Elev8r and ceramic flavor discs is what I am most impressed with currently and will be my next purchase. Biggest problem with this design is durability and portability. I've though about buying several flavor discs and pressing hash into them and then storing those discs in a small, portable container. Then I could just load one upon command, similar to the crucible dispenser for the Ghost. I've also thought about experimenting with a pollen press and dry herb, then cutting little slices or segments off and throwing one into the Elev8r. If this worked, this would be great for on the go use.

Anyways, if this post was interesting to you, please reply with some ideas, questions, or comments. I'm mostly just testing the waters to see if anyone else is down to talk vape design. I have literally no resources or money to invest in a business right now. I am 26, unemployed, double-college dropout struggling with lots of psychological shit. Dreaming up vape designs is just one way I've found to temporarily escape my anxiety and it's actually, over the months, led me to some pretty cool ideas.

Also, I am of the health-conscious and green-friendly ethea when I am dreaming up my designs, so ideally you're someone who gravitates closer to the glass/ceramic/quartz/titanium camp.

Cheers
  • ssaucyc515
    Yes. My young inexperienced mind designs vapes all day. I've asked friends to buddy up with me on this slow journey. Far from reality but the idea is there. What I like about the vape community is most companies support each others success. At least it seems that way on insta gram. Wish one day your ideas become a reality wether or not it was you who created it :)
  • 710vape666zaddy420
    @ssaucyc515

Hey, thanks for the reply. Sounds very similar to my experience, which is encouraging. It helps me believe that once the millennial generation is more in charge of the market, vapes will be designed more for use and less for branding (a huge factor IMO on Ghost's success has been their aesthetics, not their function). Any ideas you'd care to share, either publicly here or privately in the DMs?
  • kebcatmorgan
    yes, of course the vape industry and the vapes are far behind engineering-wise, but to call Ghost MV1 an engineering fail is too much mate :D. Yes, the vape is big and heavy and if you're not using only one heat setting (level 5 only for me all the time), then yes again the "normal session" is clumsy without phone and weird with phone because of all the syncing (wich btw is super fast and reliable, that's the least of my problems with it). Ghost MV1 is the only vape so far which is hand-held and has a desktop power and the vapor quality is incomparable to anything.

Omnivap XL is still my favourite vape, just because it's super small and portable and stealthy. Yes it hugely depends on 3rd party equipment, but IMHO that's the beauty of it.

This is my personal opinion, but water only strips the vapor of taste, potency and some active cannabinoids and does nothing else. The same with carbon filter, which is even more WTF for me for vaporization. There's a sentence in the top of the site you sent a link for: "FILTERING OUT CARCINOGENS AND TOXINS IN THE SMOKE FOR IMPROVED TASTE". There are no carcinogens or toxins and surely no smoke in any of the vapes I know so far, so this is more than over-engineering and just please don't do it, it's crazy :D.
  • Magicman
    Usually it always reverts to this...0hnavxahegx2f0s6.jpg
  • EconMan
    Who wouldn't much rather turn an analog dial710vape666zaddy420

Me. In most things I prefer digital controls from vapes to cars to music equipment.

I mean the fact that this is the vape that everyone on this forum is revering, to me, is evident of serious misguidance710vape666zaddy420

Everyone? Seems Ghost gets lots of flack to me? A lot. On this forum it gets diffused faster because Ghost has a CS presence here. I'm glad too as they have provided a "template" of how to turnaround a bad launch..... Haze could have taken a lesson.

I respectfully suggest, telling people they are "misguided" for their subjective preferences probably isn't a great way to win friends and influence people, especially on such a personal esoteric subjective topic like vape device choice.
    Regardless, the owner of this forum apparently did some sort of remedial consulting for them, helped them turn their product and CS problems around, and so HIS "thought-leadership" - (mis)guidance - is central. This place could just as easily be named "Fans of Bud". Wait! Eureka! I like it :love:
    So if he focuses on the MV1, others follow suite. Indeed, I bought my FF2, in large part because of his review. I guess that's why he's called VapeCritic. Critics provide thought leadership.

Re MV1, it was overhyped in the beginning. Reminds me of what I now know as the historical "FF2 hype" period, when having one, apparently made you look like Brad Pitt and even provided spontaneous orgasms. lol Perhaps I ended up loving mine, in part, because my expectations were not set during this period, but a year after when the lovers and haters had been filtered out. But no hype anymore.... everything that needs to be known is known.

There are no carcinogens or toxinskebcatmorgan

That, you don't know, nor do I. :)

Ghost MV1 is the only vape so far which is hand-held and has a desktop power and the vapor quality is incomparable to anything.kebcatmorgan

I'm a bona fide Taste-chaser. A vape that gets me really high, and is efficient, dependable, and low cost, and doesn't taste good.... I don't want. The lowest I want to go would be a C. I would rank MV1 a B+ in taste. I think the vapor quality is good, above average, but hardly the best. I've found the taste in the MV1 to degrade quickly as it soils. The problem here is the MV1 has a lot of nooks and crannies and is not the easiest of vapes to keep clean.

et al. Regarding vape making plans, if I ever go down that road, it will not be to create a device people love, or one that people go on forums to discuss passionately. No. Rather, if I ever make a vape I want to build one that folks would put about the same research into as they would in buying a toaster.

"The market" for devices of cannabis based self-medication utility is relatively tiny right now. Most people still think vaping is e-cigs. Most people have never heard of Mighty, Firefly2, MV1,etc. My much older sister did not even know what a "bong" was until last year.
    There are tens of millions of people whose sense-of-life is such they have refrained from even trying MJ simply because it is against the law. As the legalization creep continues, as it *seems* it might, some significant percentage of these people will begin to consume, yet within a different culture.

It's already happening. My culture is "a friend with weed is a friend indeed, and a friend without weed is a friend in need" A student just turned in a paper on micropayments where he in part chronicled "weed culture" among Gen Z, and I was horrified students will transfer $5 to someone who turned them on to a hit. It's bizarre to me.... I can't imagine bumping into one of you, giving you a tasty hit of primo, and then expecting you to Paypal me for the hits you took. I asked the whole class and apparently this is a thing.

My big sister is like this. She recently started with concentrates -- first hit ever was on a Stiiizy. She has no appreciation for the mastercraft that went into the weed growing, or the mastercraft of the distillate, etc. The lovely social bonds that can be formed. All she wanted to know was where can I get one and how much does it cost (she was taking too many IMO prescription meds, and the Stiizy actually does a better job than the scripts. T

I asked her an economics question. What brand of vape would you trust the most? Her answer was revealing. General Electric.

Hence, if I ever got involved with making a vape, the goal would be to create something amazingly functional like a toaster is to bread, would sell millions, and in five years i sell the company to Panasonic's new Vape Division.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    This place could just as easily be named "Fans of Bud". Wait! Eureka! I like it :love:
    this settles it we shall be know as the fan leaves :joke:
  • LabPong
    Ghost MV1 is the only vape so far which is hand-held and has a desktop power and the vapor quality is incomparable to anything.kebcatmorgan

Yes... I have never tasted so much silicone from any other vape....give you that.
  • kebcatmorgan
    I have never tasted so much silicone from any other vapeLabPong

That's possible, I've never tasted any silicone from my vapes, and there's definitely a difference in taste of the same bud in the MV1. Maybe that's that silicone hint, but as I said, I don't know how that actually tastes like.
  • LabPong
    Good topic 710Vape...

The only thing that keeps going around in my head with vape designs.....when I look at everything that comes out.....is.....

Where is the glass oven dude? Glass is where it is at....almost every portable with the normal setup .......makes me not care about any new vapes that do not have a glass oven or almost all glass vapor/air path.

Elev8r, G43, Crystal Arizers........yup.....most everything else.....meh....
  • EconMan
    Where is the glass oven dude?LabPong

FireFly2 :yum:

Theme song... The Beatles... "looking through a glass oven" :joke:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfovQCzacyfzTGZURsDrUNnTR9lPtkHRuX2fO5-bQZJjnIfKcU
  • 710vape666zaddy420

Agreed, or quartz?

I will reply to your wonderful post when I get some more free time; thanks for the feedback.
  • 710vape666zaddy420
    Me. In most things I prefer digital controls from vapes to cars to music equipment.EconMan

This is interesting and I respect the difference in aesthetic choice, but is it more than aesthetic for you? I.e. Is it functional? Are you saying that, for example, you'd rather see +/- buttons on a stereo receiver for volume control over a knob? And If so, would you have a preference between +/- volume control on let's say a portable mp3 player, or is a touch sensitive scroll wheel (e.g. the iPod) "digital" enough of a control for you? Or even still, is it that analog dials are infinitely variable while the digital controls are limited (in this case, a positive limitation) to numbers that make it easier to dial in that perfect volume that you know has worked before? What I'm getting at is, what about digital--to you--makes for a better experience with consumer electronics?

Everyone? Seems Ghost gets lots of flack to me? A lot. On this forum it gets diffused faster because Ghost has a CS presence here. I'm glad too as they have provided a "template" of how to turnaround a bad launch..... Haze could have taken a lesson.

I respectfully suggest, telling people they are "misguided" for their subjective preferences probably isn't a great way to win friends and influence people, especially on such a personal esoteric subjective topic like vape device choice.
    Regardless, the owner of this forum apparently did some sort of remedial consulting for them, helped them turn their product and CS problems around, and so HIS "thought-leadership" - (mis)guidance - is central. This place could just as easily be named "Fans of Bud". Wait! Eureka! I like it :love:
    So if he focuses on the MV1, others follow suite. Indeed, I bought my FF2, in large part because of his review. I guess that's why he's called VapeCritic. Critics provide thought leadership.
    EconMan

I'll answer by first quoting myself but with added emphasis:

I mean the fact that this is the vape that everyone on this forum is revering, to me, is evident of serious misguidance...710vape666zaddy420

We're making the same point about Bud's influence over the forum's general bias. I see now that my post was a bit confusing because I dropped the word "misguided" in reference to the industry at large earlier, so I want to clarify and stress the disconnection between my two uses of the word. I am not calling

The misguidance of the industry overall is a jab at manufacturers, not the consumers. The consumers are simply caught in the early stages of a new market and so, relative to what else is available, vapes like the MV1 seem 'great'; my aim here, if there is one, would be to push more consumers to demand more from the manufacturers. The 'guidance' of consumers is largely outside of their control.

Another personal example of misguidance is that the Mighty & Crafty are considered by many vape periodicals to be "the best" portables. Two notes on misguidance here:

1). If it is widely known that online periodicals publishing paid-for studies of health, science and nutrition, I would assume that it's even more prevalent in this new market because there are a lot less eyes fact checking vape sites than health sites. And if pseudoscience is already well-established, well then you know you cannot trust what you read online when it comes to most vape periodicals. I stick to YouTube, Instagram and the forums for reviews because we can see evidence and it's much more obvious when a vlogger is being paid to plug a product than it is in text. S&B is a huge brand (even bigger since the acquisition, I would assume), so I do have my doubts about the Mighty/Crafty 'top dog' status online being organic.

2). Even though the vapor quality is high and the functional design seems to work great for people, other factors about the Mighty & Crafty immediately disqualify my interest in picking up either one. Namely, this would be heavy use of plastic in their designs (if not for health, or flavor [let's establish "medical grade" as a vape-industry buzzword] then let's discuss how these construction materials do not keep up with price point???). However one feels about the materials, one must recognize that there are people on the market who do not buy these vapes for these reasons. So this seeming consensus online about S&B dominance to me seems very biased towards those who do not mind a mostly plastic design. I would argue that the "best" overall vape would have the performance of the Mighty with the build quality of Sticky Brick Labs, DynaVap, Arizer, hell even Pax and DaVinci are arguably more attractive to me on that metric.

What I'm getting at with this S&B example is again just bias dictating what is "best" and what is not and how this is illustrates the subtle misguidance consumers face currently.

Re MV1, it was overhyped in the beginning. Reminds me of what I now know as the historical "FF2 hype" period, when having one, apparently made you look like Brad Pitt and even provided spontaneous orgasms. lol Perhaps I ended up loving mine, in part, because my expectations were not set during this period, but a year after when the lovers and haters had been filtered out. But no hype anymore.... everything that needs to be known is known.EconMan

I love that comparison. I think we are on the same page, in that what you are describing happened with the Firefly 2 was largely a general obfuscation of the line between hype and reality and that this is the trap I fell into with the Ghost. Unfortunately, my outcome was not love.

I do think this issue is concerning for anyone who is just entering the market. With new brands coming out of left field seemingly constantly, and now we're getting into gen 3 & 4 hardware for more established brands,it does seem inevitable that newcomers to the market will be swept up into the roll out hype of whatever new vape happens to have the strongest social media campaign behind it. So it's important for us to continue to strive to make this forum a safe place to find accurate and helpful information to best guide those who seek guidance.

I'll make a pt. 2 response to your post soon. Thanks for taking the time to go into such great detail as that is exactly what I was looking for!
  • The Rogue Wax Works
    Great post @710vape666zaddy420

I switched to vaping a year ago and like many took a deep dive into researching everything to do with vaping. Conduction v. convection, session v. on demand, etc. I bought a bunch of oil pens, tank atomizers and flower vapes, looking for the Holy Grail. Did I find it? No!

My favorite so far is/was the Haze Square, RIP. Such an amazing concept. I would love to see them license or sell this design to a company that has the resources to realize its potential. Amazing flavor and hit like a truck. While many thought having to clean it and the complexity of the assembly was a negative, I thought it was awesome that it was completely cleanable and serviceable.

In the end I came full circle, back to simplicity. Maybe its because Im old. Products like Dynavap and Buds G43 really speak to me because they offer an experience that is familiar.

Its great that there is a robust diversity of designs and that there is just as much energy and passion for low tech alternatives as high tech ones.

@710vape666zaddy420 if you check out the DIY and other threads on www.fuckcombustion.com you will see that there are a lot of other people thinking about vaporizer design and coming up with some cool ideas.
  • Vapedude
    This thread and its responses reminds me of the “which headers are best” in the mustang, :ok: forums :), where things erupt into serious mudslinging :lol:

It’s sooooo much more civil here for the obvious reasons :cheer: :victory:

Ghost customer service rocks :100:% , as far as I’m concerned, CS supercedes the deficiencies, all of the rest is NOISE.

Who gives a fuck, if it flakes or door is hard to open or close, you are getting a free one no questions asked. Let them figure out their problems, they are owning up to them.

As for the few, who are either too inept, to ever figure out, how to make an ever so slightly “complicated” :victory: :victory: quote on quote, apparatus, function properly(yes think why choosing the right people going into science and heading out into space is critical and thank God those who can’t turn on an MV1 are not chosen :lol: :rofl: :scream: ), and/or the ones, whoose weed SUCKS period, and don’t even know it, I have one thing to say to y’all!

Fuck I forgot what I was going to say, the 100% pure indica oil and flower with 27% thc content I took on purpose to help me zzzzzzz just kicked in :lol: :rofl: :cool: , probably for the better I was getting ready for the grand finale, and some, would not have liked it.
  • BestBuds
    I hope you remember :smirk:
  • Egzoset
    Salutations,

...about vapes and how misguided the growing industry's development has been.710vape666zaddy420

Shame, indeed. Yet beware: if you ever come to depend on fanboyism (e.g. forum "friendship") then chances are that time shall fly while you get nothing done. As in ZERO collective achievement, because of the social aspects exactly...

Good day, have fun!! :zip:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet