• HerbRipper
    XL is not completed yet just the regular version.
  • Pakalolo2
    Sorry man, my bad, I deleted my previous embarrassing post. I really do like the matte finish on this grinder!
  • EconMan
    Anyways good news, the coarse grind plate is scheduled to come off the machine today!HerbRipper

SUPER exciting. I'll have a bud waiting for it :)
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    thanks kevin. I'm still rockin the shiny one. Fine plate is perfect IMO.
  • Biesas

When can we expect for these new prototypes to be sent out? :wink:
    Enjoying my honeymoon in Mexico, but I'm longing to get back home to my vapes :rofl:
  • MunicipalBlack
    Exciting times! Hopefully no more prototypes are needed and you can move onto the XL (so I can test some :joke:). In all seriousness it'll be fantastic to have another multi plate high end grinder on the market, even better that its all stainless steel and the icing on the cake coming from a small business and someone that takes feedback and uses it to improve his products. Thank you Kevin.
  • HerbRipper
    since your a course guy. Give me some guideline on how coarse to make this thing! As you can see from the pic, this would be very coarse. Are you just trying to barely break it up?
    qkupa1glqfi4csdb.jpeg
  • HerbRipper
    you might have some good input on my last post as well!
  • MunicipalBlack

Those are looking really nice! That coarse plate is looking mighty coarse, what size are the holes on it and the others? I can visually compare to my BCG coarse which works well for me but I don't know how much more coarse you can go without nugs falling through. What changed for these prototypes compared to the previous versions?
  • HerbRipper

We are just trying to figure out how coarse to make the coarse grind.

Right now the holes are at 5/16”. I think I want to take them down to 9/32”. Thoughts?
  • MunicipalBlack

5/16" seems pretty big and I think (with some scribbling on my notepad) that 9/32" would be more in line with the competition. Not that that's the way you should go just to line up with them but I don't know at what size it becomes to big. Do you have any pictures of the resulting grind with the coarse plate with the 5/16" holes by chance?

I'll measure and post back the other measurements when I'm home from work for info purposes.
  • HerbRipper
    First 12 course grinders came off the machine today! Should be ready by next week!
    Fine plates already finished!

zmnf0y1k3znhsoee.jpeg
  • HerbRipper
    First 12 course grinders came off the machine today! Should be ready by next week!
    Fine plates already finished!
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    very cool those look like they should make for a pretty chunky coarse grind
  • MunicipalBlack
    My BCG coarse plate looks like it has ¼" holes when I hold my tape measure up to it so yours at either 5/16" or 9/32" should offer an even chunkier grind at least based on hole size. Exciting stuff!
  • HerbRipper
    we are at 9/32”. Did you want it coarser or the same as your BCG?
  • Startedat52
    What vapes are you guys putting such a large(at least to me) grind in? The BCG large plate is definitely on the large size to me, can’t imagine even coarser.
  • EconMan

The only real way to know is to test it :nerd:
    But the holes look much bigger than the one I have which is a good thing.

But yes, "coarse" should be "barely broken up". The structural integrity of the buds are broken but not demolished. Think gravel, not sand.

My experience is coarse grinders are too often not very "coarse". (i.e. I don't have one vape where I like using the fine plate). For coarse, you want chunky. At least I do. The whole point is letting the bud fall through the holes early (relative to fine and medium) and therefore NOT letting the bud get thoroughly ground up... one wants some chunks to fall through. Else, you just have a heavy medium grind. Fine and medium should be "hot sauce". Coarse needs to be chunky salsa!

In addition, as a "taste-chaser" the grind one uses in any vape changes its taste. try it! Experiment! It's amazing. it is not that different from grinding coffee. Grind it too fine and your coffee needs a filter independent of brewing method and can taste like battery acid; too coarse and you waste a lot of coffee. One reason some conduction vapes taste as bad as they do is the grind used is too fine.

A more coarse grind often tastes better for many convection vapes I have and have used. For instance, I MUCH prefer the G43 and FF2 with a very coarse grind. On convection vapes with too fine a grind, little air "rivers" develop in the flower which can make cold/hot spots. Part of the flower in the bowl proto-combusts and other areas in the bowl don't get hot enough as it gets insufficient hot air flowing around the bud fragments.

That said, this is me. A business can't be all things to all people, and they have to go with their best judgements of what their market wants and is "demanding" on average within their resources.
    Me, I'll rarely use a fine plate (even in my Dyna I prefer medium) so I don't "weight" that heavily in my evaluation since it's grinding prowess very heavily since it has the least probability of ever being used by me.

That said, statistically, I prefer a plate that grinds too chunky than one that grinds too fine. I can hold it upside down for a half turn if needed if it is too chunky..... I can't "ungrind" once it is too fine.

Here is what I think I coarse grind should somewhat look like.
    ye4850kux357xcsc.jpg

And for reference (lots of dueling threads) my original review, where I discuss coarse.
    https://forum.vapelife.com/discussion/comment/104893
  • Pakalolo2
    Spot on my friend, I too am a flavor chaser and have used a coarser grind with my G43 and DynaVap/Simrell Vortex with favorable results. That looks to be a perfect grind for both (IMHO) and if the next iteration of the Ripper coarse plate produces that kind of grind...I’ll be a happy vaper.
  • mmx
    Well put. Lets wait for the test :starstruck:
  • Startedat52

Do you pack or tamp the coarse grind in the g43? I prefer the fine plate for my DV’s but don’t compress it much if any. If I have coarse grind I like to compress it. Haven’t tried coarse in the g43 yet though.
  • EconMan
    Do you pack or tamp the coarse grind in the g43?Startedat52

With a more coarse grind, the particles are larger and spongier. So I would use the words "strong tamp". Not quite a "pack" but certainly firm. Personally, I like big loads in my G43. When I really want to get high off of flower, that's what I use. That and/or my Plenty.

The Plenty is special because its GIANT bowl is spread out so wide, and therefore the air is much more evenly distributed. But it is a corded device.

The only vapes I personally have found success with fine grinds on are conduction types. On the PAX, for instance, I like to use a fine grind and a hard pack for the best session that doesn't taste bad.
  • MunicipalBlack

I would like it slightly more coarse then the BCG but not by a much, at least for my usage. 9/32" on the Ripper vs 1/4" on the BCG may be enough. This of course (no pun intended) ruling out all other variables that could contribute to the grind. What size were the holes on the coarse plate that @EconMan posted a review of earlier?

Another thought, if you have plates made up and ready to send to beta testers then get some pictures like EconMan posted in his review of the resulting grinds and post them here, FC, reddit etc. This would give you a general idea as to what the masses want and will buy. For all the posts I see on the BCG I don't recall ever seeing someone buy a coarse only grinder. If they choose 2 plates it's fine and medium. I'm not sure if this is because the BCG coarse isn't as coarse as people would like and/or coarse grind plates just aren't as popular. I'm just thinking in terms of what will help you move the most product.
  • HerbRipper
    thanks!

Parts are at sandblasting and I should receive them sometime next week and be ready to send out!
  • EconMan
    BCG I don't recall ever seeing someone buy a coarse only grinder.MunicipalBlack

Agreed. But mostly, that's because they have not existed for sale and the sorts of vapes where coarse grinds become more important to vapor quality have only recently emerged, and indeed is still emerging.

And I remember discussing this on the HerbRipper dedicated thread. My view is that demand wise, "COARSE" is a "price inelastic" variable meaning that those people who have the willingness and ability to buy high-end grinders AND want coarse grinds, will necessarily find extraordinary "package" value in the coarse plate of the HerbRipper.

It is why I would price the coarse plate relatively high. If the medium sells for X then the Fine should be X+ and the Coarse X++. I might would even price the coarse plate only as part of a package. You get the coarse if you buy the full monty package of fine, medium, and coarse plates, complete with bullshit pollen catcher. I would buy the package just to get the coarse plate because right now there are not a lot of coarse options. Hence, if I was a young grinder company and I was going to bother with a niche/boutique product demand subset, I would make damn sure that whatever my coarse was, that it is indeed relatively COARSE. I argue it is the somewhat extreme "ability" of such a Coarse offering, even for people who generally don't use coarse, that makes the package value psychologically more than the sum of its parts.
  • Startedat52
    It was much easier when all I had was an SLX! Now I have to grind and store different grinds for different vapes for each strain :wink: :lol:
  • EconMan
    t was much easier when all I had was an SLX! Now I have to grind and store different grinds for different vapes for each strain :wink:Startedat52

LOL. True. I remember when everything just went into the bong....
  • EconMan
    FYI, HerbRipper is being carried now by :cool: Vape Parts Mart :cool:
  • Daniel659

Look cool, thanks for the link!
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url