• EconMan
    Thought a thread dedicated to the science of extraction might be of use to some. It will to me. :nerd:

I can start.
    I have been consistently told by experts that the problem with alcohol extractions is the alcohol strips to much from the plant, but this video at least implies that it is CO2 that does this?
    Hope I haven't been buying the wrong equipment :wink: I've avoided alcohol systems believing they suffered too many things?

FromCAPNA's Website:

@okla68m you have experience with alcohol. What are your thoughts?

• Gman
    both Alcohol and CO2 can strip as much as you want based on time, temperature etc. But it's VERY difficult to get the critical temps with CO2 to get clean extracts out and the terps in one shot. So they often just take TOO much and then distill it, so they often RE-process it with alcohol. So dumb...

Doing straight Alcohol QWISO and QWET were what we all did before rosin came, so I have vacs-pumps etc. The whole kit and have done it many many times. The end result is no where near as pleasant as rosin for me.
  • okla68m
    I'm using ETHANOL (EVERCLEAR) NOT ISO, IMO, That shit is Poison.
  • okla68m
    No Closed loop system...Wash & Evaporate !
  • okla68m
    ew3k8jukiy7zttsf.jpg
    This last try netted 17.7 % return of SNAP AT ROOM TEMP WHITE WIDOW....!
    Talk about Tasty !
  • Brian420PM
    a thread dedicated to the science of extraction might be of use to some

There are many forums that use umbrella terms for forum headings, but the posts are usually all over the place. For me the most useful would be one topic for EACH of the extraction methods.. Hash, Kief, Rosin, Edibles, BHO, CO2, RSO, LHO, Tinctures.

LHO is the least talked about, here is an intro (can be annoying to get through, but worth it)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPQhamiRH-Y

For LHO you basically buy food grade limonene, steam distill it to purify, blast a column of material with it, then use column chromatography to separate out the goodies.

What? You said you wanted SCIENCE! :)
  • BawlmerMerlin
    We are not necessarily all about mental gymnastics here, at least in my experience. Welcome and thanks, but maybe ratchet down KIA quotient a bit?
  • EconMan
    This is interesting. THCa prep. I am going to half to break down, risk wasting some weed, and try this tech.

• okla68m
    Do I Feel OLD after watching that, lol...and I was gonna ask a Budget Homemade Extraction/Wash question.....
    What will produce the Most Trichome return....Ethanol washing while FRESH PICKED or After the Buds are Cured....?
  • treecityrnd
    Fresh frozen will always produce the best return. That's why most plants these days go immediately into bags in the deep freezer after cut. There is way more money to be made in concentrates than flower. Every second after cut without freezing is losing trichomes.
  • EconMan

Yeah, always fresh frozen, and with ANY solvent. You can get that HTFS thing going.... so jealous! If I had access to it, I would use Fresh. In affordable bulk purchases, I can get "good" but not great quality weed. Lets call it "standard bud". It's is not fresh.

I can get the cost down further by taking a higher percentage of shake, which works well in solvent-based extractions be they alcohol or propane. But for things like Rosin, bubble hash, etc, not so much
  • EconMan
    An interesting perspective
  • Baron23
    Wow, saw this and generally don't watch vids of that length, but I started on it and I do like it very, very much.

If they ever let us grow in MD, I will try bubble hash. But the cost right now is a bit prohibitive for the qty involved.

I think I heard him say 10 % yield...is that right or did I mishear?
  • EconMan

Yeah man, I tried my hand at bubble hash. Failed. Tried with too small a batch and the wrong equipment. I wanted to learn because the best dabs I've ever taken are Rosin made from bubble hash. And yes, from watching "bubbleman" and other processors, yield on BH is rather low. Makes sense, it only wants the trichomes and related -- those things you take great microscope pics with.

Now that said, once "bubbled" pressing yields skyrocket (since much of the "garbage" has already been removed).
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    @Baron23 @EconMan i used to make bubble hash in huge 100gal garden buckets, basically throw the whole plant in there with ice ajd water and spin it with a drill then shake shake shake, its how i got my muscles lol and back pain i bet too.
    Im not too sure what our yeild was but we always got alot of varrying grades, days were spent processing.
    If your growing your own and have a whack lpad this is the way to go.
    Im not a fan of the machines id rather beat it and shake it personally, but i wont be able to do that forever...
    I love getting that damn near full melt bubble!
    We were making them out of jet fuel screens before the bags became commercial.
  • EconMan

Didn't know that. If I ever choose to slap my ego again and try it, you'll get a PM :nerd:

I saw a youtube vid where a guy had bought a "portable washing machine" on amazon (it was cheap, like $60) . And they put their bubble bags in the washer. Is that a good method?
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    if ypur gonna do the mechanical method there are some nice premade machines and i only talk shit mainly because they are outa price range lol and i consider the slugging to be my "gym" i recently saw a good one recommended on insta i can do some digging if you like.

If you can make it right though itll be just as good.
    When i was 18 i worked in a chicken wing factory and i was really trying to convince them they needed a new sauce well. I often dreamed of using that for making my hash.

Ive seen people convert big ass laundromat dryers for tumbling dry sift that shit was insane!
  • Baron23
    That plastic mini washer that Frenchy was using is listed on Amazon, I believe.

I did a search for mini washing machines and while it may not be Amazon, it is a readily available bog standard small washing machine (note, it doesn't have spin cylinder which is good...many do).

But 10% yield and all of that work!!. I do better squishing! LOL
  • Pud
    love watching bubbleman... he makes it look so easy... bought the alum framed screens then bailed on trying it. Somehow I knew it wasn’t as easy as he makes it look...

Probably saw pedro using dry ice in a bag on here somewhere but it looked more my speed... you know, easy!.. lol

https://youtu.be/T--0LoHa-mU
  • Baron23
    I understand that the problem with dry ice is that its too cold, will cause the plant material to get brittle, so you get a lot of green stuff in with your trichomes.
  • Pud
    for sure.. you could def see that while they were shaking their bag... I don’t mind some plant material, esp if it saves me lots of time and effort ...lol!... and I def don’t see any method being any easier. I’m pretty easy to please and it’s just for me
  • EconMan
    love watching bubbleman... he makes it look so easy...Pud

Yes. and when I tried I failed. Gave up. Like Baron said, time to squish. Then at my client's farm, he gave me the best dab of my life -- pressed rosin from bubble hash (Pineapple Express). It has all of the BHO style strength, yet with totally full spectrum taste. I was a perfect dab, and it was even taken through a Peak. The taste! I can almost still taste it. No one here sell it.
  • EconMan
    I have not seen dewaxing (Winterization) done this way before. Certainly not on Rosin!
    :cool:
  • Baron23
    I just wonder why he heats the alcohol/rosin mixture. The rosin should melt into ethyl anyway and, while I have not done this and don't really have any direct experiential knowledge on this subject, I had been given to understand from a number of sources that to winterize, they use VERY cold ethanol and I don't think there is any heat involved....but I may well be wrong.
  • EconMan

Throughout the video he makes choices unrelated to the extraction but makes the video better and easier to follow. My guess is he wanted to get it mixed well. It is more than just adding ethyl. For instance, I have a hotplate with a magnetic stirring bead. He does put it in the freezer for a day, and then show the "winterization". So my conclusion is to get a full mix before freezing ?

I've learned so much from the following channel. He really covers growing to dab quite well. THis vid on THCa "diamonds" making just makes me drool. My diamonds are more like cubic zirconias -- not nearly as nice.

https://youtu.be/Yc3GuTxHR_Q
  • LabPong
    I've learned so much from the following channel. He really covers growing to dab quite well. THis vid on THCa "diamonds" making just makes me drool. My diamonds are more like cubic zirconias -- not nearly as nice.

https://youtu.be/Yc3GuTxHR_Q
    EconMan

Cool vid......dat boy def not from da west.....sounds like NY or CT I guess.....lol My bro is an "eastie" and I'm a "midie".

But all that is so much work, time, effort, other stuff......... vs Press....scrape.....vape! That and solvents always make me nervous. But it is some good looking stuff he made....if I was a couple sheets to the wind on kraft brews.....I would be tempted to try a dab. :mask:
  • EconMan

I don't need the craft beer, I'll absolutely dab that. Diamonds are a boy's best friend :nerd:
  • bulllee
    Diamonds are a boy's best friend :nerd:EconMan
    https://www.givingtreeaz.com/diamond-auction Thought you would be interested.
  • EconMan

WOW! :starstruck:
    We cordially invite you to join us for an evening of pure indulgence when we offer up the largest Katatonic Diamonds we have ever created for auction. Some of these crystals are weighing in at over 5 grams. That's like 25 Carats!

A trip to AZ is in order. I have a couple clients there -- I can expense it! (not the diamonds)
    Day before my birthday. It's an omen from the Gods.

Although I hate auctions as a buyer. It sucks up all my consumer surplus.
    But a 5g diamond :scream: I want it. I want to take a razor blade and cut it up into little "ice cubes", add a little gravy, and have breakfast. :love:
  • LabPong
    LabPong

I don't need the craft beer, I'll absolutely dab that. Diamonds are a boy's best friend :nerd:
    EconMan

wait....dont tell me your the famous kid from the cereal commercial 30+ years ago.....?

"hey...lets get Mikey.....he'll dab anything"
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet