• MothChewMoth
    I know we've got some musicians on the forum, so I figured I'd hot you up for some advice. I've wanted to learn guitar my whole life, but things always seemed to get in the way and I never have.

I decided to change that finally and stay learning with Rocksmith. I was always a big guitar hero / rock band fan so the "gamification" of the learning process is amazing. I feel like I'm making progress on whatever I'm trying, even though it's very very early days.

Please let me know if there's anything I should be looking to do to make sure I'm not doing something dumb.

Also, wearing a guitar while sporting a mohawk really makes you feel kind of a badass, even if you're not very good :cool:
  • Gonzo
    Make sure you have a good guitar tuner....also, if you are jamming rock, make sure you practice with the amp turned down to get the precision (otherwise the distortion will hide some of it).
  • MothChewMoth
    right now I'm borrowing a guitar and it's only connected to the computer via a USB to 1/4" audio jack (no external amp). The computer essentially operates as a really amazing amp of sorts that will let me do whatever sounds I want without worrying about pedals or anything extra yet. What's cool about this is in game it's playing the song, but you can totally adjust the mix in any fashion to hear any particular audio track clearer (including your own).
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    I have guitarsmith for my ps4. It seems like it could be a decent way to learn. I get frustrated with it sometimes but I have been playing guitar for like 29 years and the way it shows isn't always the way I want to learn. But I'm also set in my bad habits lol. I was just telling my GF she should try that game as she wants to learn to play.
  • MothChewMoth
    So far, from a purely mechanical perspective, it's not great for someone who's never picked up a guitar. What would be excellent for her (and what I wish I had) is that you're there as someone she can ask off the cuff questions about how to do something. For me, I've been using a combination of the game and youtube to figure stuff out if I can't do it or if it feels weird.

My fingers hurt! Well, mostly my left pointer, as I've yet to really incorporate the other fingers quite as much.
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    I could see how that would be frustrating. YouTube is a great resource but having someone in front of you to show you something and then answer questions is huge. I'm sure there are some decent forums out there but it's still not the same... first piece of advice. Look up the major scale and practice with all your fingers for at least 10 minutes before playing other stuff. Give that pointer finger a break.
  • MothChewMoth
    perfect! Something like this is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll have to poke around in game and see if this exists, because I LOVE the format. The nice part is that for some dude sitting along trying to learn, it DOES give instant audio and visual feedback if you're doing it correctly or incorrectly. If you're doing it incorrectly, it does show you where to place your fingers on chords, but not like, where to place your fingers in anticipation of note changes. AKA hey, on the first string, put your fingers in spots 3 and 5 and just lift 5 when you're trying to hit 3, or something like that.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    @MothChewMoth not site of anybody mentioned but ultimate guitar.com is a great tool. I have the proversion of the app on my phone it plays the tablature for you in real time or slowed down, with or with out the drum track, it also has a tuner all around its a really sick app i use it alot and highly reccomend it. 3llufqp13h4fnq6z.png
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    right on. If you ever have questions feel free to PM me. I'm no teacher but I'll do what I can. The sight that @Tyedyesamuraiguy mentioned is also a good resource. :100:
  • Chris Larson
    Get Rocksmith. End of story. (Thank me later)

:)
  • MothChewMoth
    did you miss the part where I said that's what I'm using? :rofl:

In all seriousness though, it's awesome. In the past it's been hard to want to play (keyboard), but this method makes me genuinely excited every time I turn it on. I've been averaging maybe an hour a day or so for the last couple weeks.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    @MothChewMoth learn to use your pinky in the begining if youve learned about power cords that is a great oportunity to use your pinky instead of baring really helps strengthen it
  • JimK1967

I played drums for most of my life but decided to tackle guitar about 2 years ago and it's coming along really fast. The pairing I like to use when learning a new song is the following - Songster (free) active tabs and YouTube (someone teaching the song) so you can see the tab in action. Below is an example of such a pairing I used in the beginning...I'm not that far ahead of you so if you have any other questions about tips/tricks, feel free to PM me any time!

Songster - Walk this Way (Aerosmith)

Good luck brother!
    Jim
  • MothChewMoth
    Thanks everyone's who has responded so far! Great advice all around :grin:
  • Dankpup
    Are your hands small or large? you may want a strat or something with a baseball neck if you’ve got large mits, if you want to shred then that’s model specific, learn your chords while alternating to learn single note riffs( example Black Sabbath), tune your guitar every 10 or 15 minutes, beginners usually dig into strings pretty hard causing it to need tuning more often, make sure your guitar is setup nicely with comfortable action. Keep your guitar temperature and humidity stable 50-60%. If you want buying advice I could give you pointers for that too, what’s cost me lots of $ over the years
  • Trix

Mainly stick with it and practice everyday if possible. If you desire it, it will happen.
    YouTube is great for random guitar questions and tricks. I also use Rocksmith and find the jam section extremely fun.
    Also grab a boss looper at some point so you can practice both rhythm and lead.
    Best to learn acoustic first but definitely not as fun.
  • Dr green thumb
    my advice is to go somewhere that sells guitars in my area we have a place called Guitar Center. Anyways go in hold and play some guitars get some advice and the guitar that feels right is the one you should get. P.s stay away from the harmonica section. I ended up with three really nice harmonicas while I was there. No one appreciates me trying to play them including my dog. But I had fun.
  • LabPong
    Advise for picking up guitar.

Wash your hands and be gentle, and use a medium firm grip when lifting it.

:nerd:

That is what I thought when first reading the thread title....hehehe
  • PuffItUp
    Once you get the basics down (how to press the strings correctly, how to hold the pick, basic strumming patterns etc) I would focus on learning albums. Not songs. Listen to an album on repeat for a week, then listen to a song you really dig on repeat while you learn it. Once you learn the song, move onto another song from the album. Not only will it help you get better faster, but you will learn the ins and outs of that guitar player's style and that will help you find your own later down the road.

Next album, choose it from a different band ;) At least until you ahve 5-6 albums under your belt.

Currently I'm learning Symbolic by Death. I have the song symbolic down except for 1 section (I just have been lazy) and I have the beginning of Crystal mountain down. Going to learn the rest of Symbolic this week, and crystal mountain by 4/20 :)

Learning the basics can be very dull... I don't have a recommendation other than just get through it and practice practice practice. Leave the guitar on a stand out of the case, you'll pick it up a lot more.

Z
  • MothChewMoth
    haha this is awesome. Luckily I've got an idea of what I'd like (Ibanez) based on a few I've held and a friend's recommendation.

Currently, I'm using a great guitar from a friend who is a touring musician. It's an older Fender clone, but has been rock solid and perfect so far.
  • MP333
    Jamstick looks like a cool way to learn guitar. Check em out.
  • Ctipp22
    Don't spend a lot on your first one.
  • AsUwish
    Awesome that you've picked up the guitar! I did as well and have been playing everyday for the past two months now. Hoping I can play Lynyrd Synyrd's "Free Bird" in 5 years lol.

I've gone through 5 different guitars before finally finding "the one". My advice is as @Dr green thumb said, go to a guitar shop and spend some time playing with different guitars within your budget (set a budget). Make multiple trips if you have to but don't settle. Find one that truly makes you skip a beat and excites you that way you're likely to keep coming back to it. The guitar is a personal choice but I've found these to be some of the best values at different price points (Acoustics): Yamaha FS800 or FG800, Taylor GS Mini, Taylor 114ce, Martin 00015m (this last one has my heart).

Happy hunting and playing! Let us know what your progress is!
  • MothChewMoth
    thanks man! For now I'm borrowing a Fender knockoff and it's working great. It's not perfect though, so if I keep it up (which I fully plan on) I'll be making another trip to the shop.

I have played with a bunch, and right now I'm a big fan of the Ibanez RG lineup. I'm still out of work at the moment, so that'll be my "get a job" host to myself, haha.
  • PuffItUp
    Take a look at the slimline series of ibanez guitars as well, same great feel and sound with a MUCH lighter body. It's like carrying a kid on your back vs carrying an empty backpack
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    but have you heard of shecter :naughty: :halo:
  • MothChewMoth
    hahahaha those are a little out of my range. At least for now... :joke:
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    they sound so good plugged into anything i had a 7 and an 8 then they had to be sold :cry:
  • PuffItUp
    Schecters are my babies. Right now my only guitar is a Schecter. They play SO WELL for such a GREAT price.
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    My only experience with Schecters were the cloud guitar repops they made for Paisley Park. Sadly this particular model was made cheaply and felt like I was playing a toy guitar. It was basically $300 guitar that was being sold for $1800. That being said I hear really good things about the real schecters and would love to check one out one day. But lately I've been playing more bass. My go to bass is a Ibanez SR506 (6 string).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment