• OhHello
    Start with a decrnt guitar., it will be easier to play, have good tuners etc
    Get a good tuner
    Take lessons or dedicate time to YouTube lessons... don’t learn songs, learn to actually play chords, scales, progressions
    Get a decent distortion pedal , everything sounds good distorted haha
  • EconMan

You could choose to be a real musician and take up drums :rofl:
  • SouthboundPachyderm

Q: What's the last thing the drummer said before being fired...
    A: Hey guys I wrote a song we can play.
    :rofl:
  • MothChewMoth
    I actually tried to start playing about 15 years ago. I'd classify my playing as...functional? I love the drums, but I feel they're much better suited to others. For some reason my love of listening didn't translate to playing.

What's funny is that starting the guitar this way has been FUN in a way the drums never really were for me. I couldn't tell your specifically what I like more, but it's just got something I felt was missing for me in the drums.
  • EconMan
    Q: What's the last thing the drummer said before being fired...
    A: Hey guys I wrote a song we can play.
    SouthboundPachyderm

Funny because it's true!

Yeah, drummers are an odd bunch. Put kids in a room full of instruments and see which one attract them... the ones attracted to something you get to "beat" are my definition odd personalities.

Just watch Spinal Tap and their issues with drummers.

If you know a few chords, you're an accomplished guitarist. all musicians should play drums a little. I'm amazed at how many melodic musicians can't keep time. As if they can't simply count? Then those mother fuckers want me to keep time for them -- homey don't pay that. :worry:
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    it's true. Drummers are an odd bunch, but having been raised by a drummer I guess I appreciate the odd.
  • EconMan

Dude, my daughter to this day can sleep through anything :rofl:
  • Chandler
    Did a search for musicians, instruments, then finally tried guitar and found this thread.
    No activity for 12 months!

@MothChewMoth how's it going 12 months n over 300 hours later? Do you still play/practice? Hope you d I didn't quit. Did you end up purchasing the one you wanted?

I feel I'm close to where you were when you started this thread.. I'm 2 months in. I started on a borrowed electric guitar (fender), enjoyed so much I had to either purchase that guitar or my own. That one had a few issues so I decided on purchasing my own. Went with a Yamaha APX600 electro acoustic... Electric is cool but I really wanted acoustic. Now I have the best of both worlds.

w5unb37voshj8qdp.jpg

Purchasing my own also uplifted my passion. This baby is brand new just like me. We'll grow together. 2 weeks after purchase I was in Mexico for 7 days. A part of me was miserable because I had 7 days off without a guitar to play/practice while on the beach... I'll never travel without my guitar again. Travelling again soon I'm thinking my next guitar should be a travel guitar. Should start doing some research.

I love practicing. No plans on quitting. I cannot wait until I have the finger dexterity I dream of and fretboard control.
    Guitar has proven to be one of the hardest things I've ever tried to learn. Everyone I know who's tried and quit keeps giving me more passion to continue the journey/struggle. I find the whole process therapeutic.

I've read through the thread, but let's keep the topic open.
    I'll take any and all the advice available.
    There's nothing like a quick rip at 750 from the showerhead then working on some scales! Herbs and music go together like glove and hand, lock and key, milk and honey
  • Trix
    Grab a good looper and start to really play with yourself! Super fun way to practice both chords and scales. Be careful, a few thousand dollars later and you’ll have a studio in the house and angry neighbors. I started with a guitar and a looper about 13 years ago and now I make all kinds of crazy sounds. Music is the key to happiness in my world!
  • Chandler
    @Trix thanks for the advice. My only regret is I didn't start 13 years ago as well! 13 years? You must be awesome. What style of guitar do you play? Classical, rock etc?
  • Magicman
    Start at 12-13 year old at the latest. Same for piano or voice
  • Trix
    I got serious about wanting to play guitar and make music in my early 20’s. I started to think for myself and discover what I was capable of.
    Anyone can do it if you want to, you just have to make the effort.
    Guitar is my main instrument but I quickly realized my loops were stale and boring with just a few guitar sounds. I bought a decent keyboard that made thousands of sounds and suddenly realized I could make way more than just guitar loops. Currently keys are where I’ve been spending most of my time.
    I’m now able to sit down and pretty much make any kind of song I can think of or possibly emulate.
    Synthesizers, Guitars, and effects, are just as bad as VAS...
  • Chandler
    Start at 12-13 year old at the latest.Magicman

I'm more than 3 times that age, glad I have a different passion for music and learning than you do my brother!

I’m now able to sit down and pretty much make any kind of song I can think of or possibly emulate.Trix

Post something!!
  • Trix
    I’m unable to post my videos here as I’m not on YouTube, or just can’t figure out the link thing.
    You can find my noise on Instagram #Trixjamz
  • Magicman
    I was in the Boys Choir from 9-13 years old. Touring Choir went to Europe twice and New England once. I am lucky I wasn't diddled.
  • 810Rican
    In my experience, I felt the original FAT 50s strat bridge was too hot and dark sounding pickup. It was too 'modern' for my taste. The middle in the bridge feels more open, clear and musical overall.
  • DaveinSM
    Depending on how far you want to take it, I’d seriously consider lessons. I don’t know if Rock smith will efficiently teach you valuable theory like chords and scales.

I picked up guitar in my mid 30’s and found I learned a lot faster with lessons.

Those really good guitar players you see all put in A LOT of practice to get that good. It takes a lot of time and there’s no way around it.

And while I often enjoy grooving to music more with a bit of ganja, it really isn’t conducive to focus, short term memory, or fine motor dexterity.

Don’t know about you, but I’m not so talented that I could regularly get high and rapidly progress on guitar.

But you did pick a good starting point by starting on electric. They’re much easier to play starting out than acoustics. My goal was to get proficient on both, both with flat picking and fingerpicking.

If you take it as the lifelong endeavor/hobby that it is, you’ll see it as a marathon and not a sprint.

And if you’re like me, you’ll wish you had started playing when you were younger. Regardless, enjoy.
  • 810Rican
    Options810Rican

Very nice! Can you give me advice about clean guitar amp.
  • Karec
    Man i just wish all this technology was available when i learned to play.... i learned for myself only had the main chords on a sheet of paper and some friends to help, cannot read any music sheet and only did tabs, nowadays is waaaaay more easy, now i dont have the drive but i still play, get a tuner from an app store, i use GuitarTuna and i have a friend that his kid started to learn the guitar using this app called Coach Guitar: How to Play Easy Songs, Tabs, Chords and he's having fun along the way so give it go and remember you will ned a looooottt of playing hours before starting to sound good!

Cheers
    :cool:
  • Chandler
    picked up guitar in my mid 30’s and found I learned a lot faster with lessons.DaveinSM
    For sure. Nothing beats structured learning from a decent teacher. New music school opened up in the plaza next to my house. Looked into lessons for myself and my niece... $60/hr or $1/min. I said HELL Nah! My niece however is now learning piano, then wants to learn guitar!
    If you take it as the lifelong endeavor/hobby that it is, you’ll see it as a marathon and not a sprint.
    And if you’re like me, you’ll wish you had started playing when you were younger.
    DaveinSM

If I didn't have a similar resolve I would've quit at some point in the last 8 months. That's the perspective you gotta have with guitar. It's a lifelong process!
    It's like the more I become familiar and experienced the better I can see how much incredibly further I must go before suggesting that I'm actually a decent guitarist! That premonition can be devastating, discouraging to the soul.
  • ElToro
    Start with an acoustic guitar and get a professional setup. An electric guitar is sort of the same instrument but not exactly since there are a lot more variables at play. Even the best guitar are often unplayable out of the box and a hard to play guitar is a turnoff and will discourage you from progressing.

Finally, get the basics down. Learning songs from UG and YouTube videos is fun but without the basics you’ll find yourself stuck at various times and unable to incorporate what you’re learning into a solid mental framework. Without the basics you’ll just end up memorizing a bunch of songs.

I highly recommend a book called “
    Guitar Fretboard Workbook” by Barret Tagliarino
  • DaveinSM
    just stick with it my brother in pain. Guitar has been one of those humbling experiences that I sorely needed. No pain no gain!
  • Bruce
    [reply="MothChewMoth;d5111 it's very easy to pick it up......... and put it down...

At the moment the G43 is being redesigned to have a "munchies dispenser" for after your session.

Peace, Love & Vape,

^ ^ ^ The Vape Master ^ ^ ^
  • Chandler
    stick with it my brotherDaveinSM

Thank you sir! Bump this thread every once in a while to continue the motivation!
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet