• TheZman
    So the FDA has been in the news lately going after companies that are selling CBD oils and other products. Especially if they claim they cure certain diseases that it doesn't. One of the main side affects they say CBD cause is increased liver enzymes and hepatotoxicity. Or how ever you spell it. Lol.. Is this accurate? Also at what dose would you have to worry? Would it still affect the liver if its inhaled? I use CBD daily mixed with my pure THC strains. But if it's bad for my liver I might reconsider and just use my THC strains.
  • Dankpup
    Yeah they claim it’s only useful for epilepsy. I personally know it’s effective to prevent migraines (spasms which can be triggered by flashing or strobing lights....just like siezures). FDA approved drugs for migraines have wonderful side effects like totally messing with your metabolism and pushing you into diabetes. My wife’s morning sickness( really it was evening sickness) was instantly cured with high strengthen cbd. Previously approved morning sickness/nausea pills have been pulled cause they cause birth defects, so ya know.
  • Dankpup
    I would order your cbd direct from a reputable farm in Kentucky, Colorado etc rather then a convienece store.
  • nowayout
    I just read this article:
    https://www.marijuanabreak.com/is-cbd-bad-for-your-liver

In short, CBD usage can be damaging to the liver, "if you are already using a specific medication. When you use CBD, the liver will stop metabolizing other drugs which use the same enzyme as CBD, namely P450. Let’s say you use oxycodone, a potent painkiller, and CBD at the same time. The cannabidiol may cause the oxycodone to stay in your system for far longer than it should. This can lead to various side effects and over time, liver damage is inevitable."

It also goes on to state that, "vaping CBD enables the cannabinoid to bypass the liver and gut which leads to higher bioavailability. In other words, vaping CBD should yield better results than consuming oils or edibles."

I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if you are vaping the flowers.

If there was indeed more evidence to say so, it would be hard for me to not mix it. The CBD with the THC bud makes my 'high' so much more tolerable if I am at work or just out and about. I don't forget stuff as easily, I can actually function more efficiently, and it just brings my anxiety down so, so much as it doesn't make me as paranoid compared with regular bud alone.

Like @Dankpup stated, FDA approved medicines cause WAYYY more side effects than CBD. They're just siding with big pharma and trying to make people scared to use it so they can continue to sell us the pharmaceuticals....in my opinion.
  • TheZman
    I agree and I've come up with the same conclusions as you. I've read that same article. But I've also read a study that claims it affects the liver by itself not just because of the p450 enzyme. I do vaporize flower that's grown professionally and supplied by a medical marijuana dispensary. I know when you vaporize it you mostly bi pass the liver. But since the liver and kidneys still detoxify blood and it still ends up in your blood stream I still would think it would end up in the liver.

I agree with you that CBD makes the high more tolerable. It definitely smooths it out. It doesn't have such a sharp peak. Seems to actually make it last longer though. That's the reason I use it and to add more anti inflammatory strength to my Cannabis. I think its definitely something to pay attention to. It is a shame that the Big Pharmaceutical companies fought Cannabis for so long that when they do release information like this you don't know if you can even believe them. Or the FDA..
  • TheZman
    I use Flower from a medical dispensary.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    My son trailed cbd for seizures. He had to come off of a medication that he was on for this reason. I dont think that cbd itself is what is causing the damage but the interactions that take place like they are stating. Which is why you should always consult with a doctor when taking anything.
  • samanthas
    Thanks! Pretty informative!
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    It took alot of advocating to get my son on cbd. I have easy access to it myself and everbody kept telling me and my wife to just do it ourselves. Could you imagine if we had. He was already on a higher dose then someone for his age. It very well could have killed him.
  • John Cocktostone
    My liver enzymes are checked regularly as I was an alcoholic for 20 years. I use cbd daily. I'll check at my next appt.
  • TheZman
    Does he still take the CBD? And since he has been off of the medication that was interacting has his liver issues gone away?
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    he wasn't on it for very long, we decided to take him off because shortly after introducing it, His seizure activity spiked anti epilepltics can also provoke seizures as well as control them in rare cases.
    It is something that we want to revisit but its just not a good time with all of the other meds and treatments that are going on right now.

We also never introduced the cbd alongside the interacting drug. So he never experienced liver issues because of it.
  • Lucic and Chong
    The FDA is in bed with big pharma, so any anecdotal evidence will be overblown. This is the same FDA that originally banned aspartame (twice), only to reverse the decision when the "right" people stood to make money off of it. The last thing that they want is natural remedies.

It's a sad state when a lot of the public don't trust the organization that is apparently supposed to be looking out for our health. But really, they're only looking out for their wallets.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    i agree with you but the interaction they are talking about here isnt bullshit. Natural remedys can also result in unwanted consequences if not respected. If my wife and I had listened to all the people that said its just a plant its okay to give it to your son my sons health would have been in serious jeopardy. From a natural remedy.

Consult your doctor about everything, you never know how things are going to interact with each other.
  • Lucic and Chong
    I agree with you as well. There can be interactions, and everyone's body is different and may react to things differently. I mean, opium is natural too. Shit, people die from peanuts. Natural definitely isn't always best.

Unfortunately a lot of doctors aren't well informed about cannabis and other natural remedies and would rather steer the general public to FDA approved meds. It can take a while to find a doctor who is willing to discuss other options. So it's best to not only check with a doctor, but also inform yourself the best you can. And I guess that's what bothers me so much about the FDA. Here is an organization that was made to research these things, but they're too corrupt to trust.

I'm glad that you are smart enough to look into things properly for your son.
  • EconMan

The truth is nobody knows. It simply has not been sufficiently studied. There is only weak and scarce evidence.

I do not think the FDA is corrupt. I think they are Risk-Averse. Rarely are they praised for approval when nothing happens and no one dies, yet they tend to get skewered when something goes wrong and people die. Hence, the risk-averse culture.

Personally, I am not an anarchist, and want some government oversight on all things that advertise themselves as medications if only because of the "asymmetric information" involved. You don't know if it hurts your liver or not, and most folks are not equipped to understand the lingo, so forcing less ethical companies to be more accurate in their assertions is a good thing by by my values. Burden of proof is rightly on the claimant. It's why when I do a CBD merchant account, the first thing I do before making the formal application in is bully them to remove all their unvalidated claims, else they will be rejected on the spot.

Now that said, if I was King, I would overhaul the entire system. First decree would be to abolish the ATF and in its place would be a chain of convenience stores :)
  • OhHello
    I had a kidney transplant and my team said not to use cbd due to possible liver damage and also due to medication interaction, specifically medications that list to not take with grapefruit. They yammered on about something within cbd would cause the same interaction. One of my anti rejection medications does state this on the label.

I also have only found ONE company who clearly stated this interaction on their site as a warning, Lazarus naturals
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    i have seen people react very differently from each other on street drugs, made me question uppers and downers lol.

We got my son into a clinic. Luckily our neurologist was open to the idea, but she had to fight pretty hard to get approval as he was under the age of one.

Im a little bit touchy on the natural remedy stuff because of our experiences with my son. The oldest Natural treatment for epilepsy is starving yourself. Starvation is mimicked with the ketogenic diet, which is becoming a very popular weight loss diet. It is reckless abandon to be on this diet and not under the supervision of a medical professional nothing makes me more sick then when a nurse lights up because my son is on the keto diet. They want to share recipes and yadda yadda yadda. The monitoring and supplementation needed to stay healthy on this diet is astronomical. It is not something that should be taken as lighlty as it is you can make your self very sick and even die if the diet is not done properly.
  • TheZman
    Let us know your results. I get bloodwork in May. I'll post mine at that time as well. Although I might lay off the CBD for awhile so it might not count. Lol...
  • TheOriginalDonDota
    i think im gonna do the same.

Does this include things like cbd lotions??
  • TheZman
    I dont know. But I wouldn't think so. Lotion is topical and only a tiny bit would be absorbed if any. You should be fine.
  • EconMan

It is ANYthing that makes a health claim. If you make "antibacterial soap" that puts you under the umbrella of the FDA. The makers of FIT, a fruit/vegetable wash that advertised its antibacterial properties, and the FDA required it be pulled from the shelves until studied. It is back on the shelves now but it is an expensive process that tends to price little producers out of the market.

You can't make a claim for which there is little to no scientific evidence. And if you do make a claim with scientific evidence, that relates to a health assertion, that places it under the authority of the FDA.

It is one reason they like big-pharma.... they do it right. Well-done expensive exhaustive studies... check all the boxes with their army of clerks and scientists. Hard to compete against if you're a "ma-pa" CBD seller who wants to say "this rub helps with arthritis".
  • nowayout
    My question is:
    What about the CBD in the regular THC bud? I haven't particularly looked up a specific strain, but I am sure there are strains out there with a good percentage of CBD in them(like 6 to 17% alongside the THC levels).

I'm sure me drinking beer or vodka/whiskey damages my liver more than the CBD flower(or maybe together it may be doing worse? Who knows?) that I mix with the random strains that we get through the dealer.
  • Dr green thumb
    How many different strains do they make cbd out of. From what I can tell hemp has many different strains just like its cousin marijuana. For testing that gives too many unknowns to make a blanket statement that cbd is bad for you.
  • Baron23
    Very good article that put the somewhat breathless headline of "CBD causes liver damage" in perspective.

Thank you....
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    concentrated cbd is something new until recently we have been breeding weed mainstrem for thc with no thought twoards cbd. There is still alot that we dont know. I dont think blanket statements like cbd is safe for everyone figure out your own dose are good either.

Out here vape shops sell cbd tinctures and they act like they they are some kind of physcian when they encourage you to take it. That is a problem. "Take a couple drops" "vape as much as you want its cbd" someone tried to sell me a 150mg pen and tell me that there was 150mg in each puff. That is alarming.

anybody wanting to take cbd i encourage you to speak about it with a doctor

You can over do anything espically when you start getting into the complicated conditions that it treats.
  • TheZman
    I've decided I'm still going to use CBD flower in my vaporizer with my THC strain. From everything I've read over the past week I really think the main concern is high doses ingested and with interactions with medications. For me I think it would be safe being that I vape and micro dose through out the day. Vaping right off the bat for the most part bye passes the liver. I should be fine.

Also I do have any Liver problem sign or red flags that would lead me to believe my liver is being damaged. But I have a blood test in May so I'll know for sure.

Yesterday I took my Cannabis doses through out the day with just my THC strain. I wasn't a fan. It was fine at first. But as it accumulated throughout the day I felt like without the CBD mixed in it over powered me by the end of the day and had a hard time going to sleep. It was more of a rough sharp high. Nothing crazy or anything I couldn't handle. It just wasn't as smooth and relaxed as when I add the CBD.

So as I said after yesterday today I added my CBD like usual and couldn't be happier. It's well worth it. I feel. Especially if vaping. I'm not going to worry. Especially being that I greatly helps with my Anxiety.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    even if vaping it will still cause an interaction if its going to. The cbd by itself is not going to harm your liver. In my sons case the drug was clobazam which would build and build in toxcicity because of the cbd.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment