• Pakalolo2
    Hey Forum Family, I am considering a 420 purchase of either the Splinter or the Splinter Z as a new acquisition to satisfy my VAS appetite this spring. I would welcome all who have experienced one or both of these interesting vaporizers to chime in and share your thoughts and experiences with them and any assorted accessories that I should seriously consider. I do have a Wismec Realeoux Gen 3 Dual mod already to go with it.
    1. Splinter (19 votes)
        Splinter Z
        74%
        3rd party cooling stems
        26%
    2. What is your preference? (19 votes)
        Splinter
        26%
        Splinter Z
        74%
  • BestBuds
    The Splinter is an awesome vape. The Z gives you the ability to vape a bowl in one, maybe two hits, leaving nice even tan avb. The splinter is almost as good. It will leave some hot spots if you try to kill a bowl in one or two hits tho. I spin my stem more with the splinter to keep the avb more even.
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    they are both excellent. Best buds description is perfect. If it was my money i would get the splinter and a drydrotube... and then undoubtedly i would eventually wind up with a Z too.... you cant go wrong either way. They are both awesome vapes!
  • Pakalolo2
    Thank you for your thoughts :cool: , you can understand my dilemma in that most reviews I've read have come to the same conclusion. This looks to be an exciting addition to my rotation whether it be Splinter or the "Z". Any other thoughts?
  • Hippie
    2 or 4 hole? Is another question

They say the Splinter gets up to heat quicker but the Z carries more momentum when it does get up to heat with its larger heater, so the Z will give u fatter cloudz and will clear the bowl quicker.

A 2 hole Splinter on the gen3 dual (with sur_myevic) and a nobbly cooling stem has become my daily driver since dialing in the temp control
    If you're looking to clear the bowl quickly or running it through glass I think you'll probably want the increased airflow of the 4 hole version or the larger Z heater.
  • PuffItUp
    I prefer the Splinter due to the portability, we have a couple mods that the Z just tips over when its on them. If you grab the Z, definitely get a hefty 3 battery mod. 1, the battery life makes it worth it, and 2 if you can lower that center of gravity there is less chance that you will knock it over. I know I've knocked the office Z over quite a few times (WHOOPS!)

If portability is not an issue I would grab the Z if you want to 'snap' bowls in 1-2 hits, or if you want to sip on a bowl for a couple hits grab the splinter.
  • Other Side
    I'll chime in too. If you can handle shorty mouthpiece stems that can offset the extra height of the Z.

I'm kinda with PIU. If you are aiming for home use, maybe the Z. For out I'd get standard Splinter.

Just a little hint but we should have some 420 sales hitting on some RBT gear here soon. I can't release details yet but I'm happy to save you some money if you have some patience.
  • Pakalolo2
    Thanks! I’ll be there,
  • seed2vapor
    Splinter once preheated is powerful enough to kill a bowl in a hit or 2. With the cooling mouth piece, you're set. On a VooPoo Drag 2 it's extremely good in watt mode.
  • The Rogue Wax Works
    WooHoo! My Z arrives tomorrow. Any tips using it with a Joytec VTC Dual?
  • The Rogue Wax Works
    Wow cant believe no one has posted on this thread in 2 months and the last person was me.

So I have had my Z for 2 months apparently and i dont use it much. I cant produce decent clouds and when i do it is almost always at combustion at a hot spot. I figured it was just me. Im using wattage at 35-36. I'm a little intimidated by mods.

Well, I got a Splinter today and it is way different. At the same wattage I'm getting much better clouds, and even extraction with no hot spots. Anyone ever have an issue with a Z?
  • BestBuds
    do you preheat the Z? For how long?
  • The Rogue Wax Works
    I have been doing a 5-8 second preheat but only in the beginning. It seems like there is a really hot spot where the airflow is concentrated.
  • Dr green thumb

The flower gets hot in front of the carb hole. That's why after every hit I give my stem a quarter twist. This also gives me an opportunity to inspect the flower load after every hit.
  • The Rogue Wax Works
    I do the same. i will have to check to see if thats where mine is on the Z. I'm just wondering because I get much better performance with the regular Splinter
  • BestBuds
    try lowering your watts by 2 or 3 and slow your draw a little. That might help. The Z heating element take a little more to get it going.
  • The Rogue Wax Works
    @BestBudsI'll do some experimenting today. With my new Splinter I am seeing what all the hype is about, big tasty clouds with amazing extraction
  • Dr green thumb
    I was running my Z around 60 watts and pre heating on the first hit for 10 seconds. Try slowing your draw just a little bit and it should reduce the hot spots.

I also really like my splinter v1. With tcr this is the perfect vape for using through a glass rig. Have you set up tcr with your splinter?
  • The Rogue Wax Works
    at 34 watts?
    srpt0jdrczdc1by3.jpg

@Dr green thumb I tried setting up TCR on my Joytec Evic but it did not seem to take it the way the tutorial said it would and I'm not good with mods but I have a P80 now so i may try with that one. I have no complaints about the performance of the reg Splinter
  • Dr green thumb

Loading the basket screens can be tricky for good even avb. I put a flat screen in my stem and load the stem and cap the loose flower in with the basket screen.
  • The Rogue Wax Works
    Splinter under same conditions. But i had nice clouds. 3-4 hits no stir
    qj9663xrepf3ac8c.jpg

Definitely not getting the same results/experience with my Z. Just finished a Splinter bowl and had great clouds i cant get from the Z
  • Dr green thumb

bd9hfnh40s0qr6vr.jpg

mrzqpzrfzjiayt45.jpg

mijhtz8tbtr6e49x.jpg

I load in my stem like shown, my charring has gone down and my clouds up. Plus the herb stays nice and loose for good airflow and is easy to stir.
  • The Rogue Wax Works
    @Dr green thumb is that an Eds stem? You do it with the glass too? Same wattage or higher because the herb is farther away?
  • Dr green thumb

Yes that is a long Ed's stem it's what I'm currently using with my splinter v1. I leave the wattage alone and just regulate the heat by how long I press the button on my mod. Or I just use tcr and enjoy my session by just running on cruise mode with tcr.

I use my cooling stems the same way.
  • Mangu
    I do end up enjoying my V2 more easily than Z. Not sure what it is I’m sure they’re both just a lil different, but I like the smaller V2 better when I use it.
  • BestBuds
    after seeing your pics I definitely think slowing your draw with both the V1 and Z will give you more even results. :up:
  • BestBuds
    :nerd: I never used one. :sweat:
  • Kinick23
    @The Rogue Wax Works I have a p80 I’ve been using with my Z for about 6 mo. I use wattage usually btwn 28w-36w and enable cruise mode, this way you don’t have to hold the button down the whole duration of ur draw (just need to remember to click to disengage once ur hit is done, this can be tricky sometimes depending how high you are haha). The first couple times I used the Z i wasn’t getting great results, just decent. Once I got the mod settings/preheat times / usage at diff temps I was able to dial in and now it’s one of my favorites. I owned a Splinter as well but sold it bc the steam the Z was pumping out was just greater/denser.

I ran a quick session for fun to see the results and to give you an idea of my usage and how it might be differing from yours currently:

- packed basket screen full w/ tamp
    - Preheat from cold 15 seconds, turned off
    - enabled cruise on 30 watts, inserted stem, waited a couple seconds and a start slow draw for ~15 secs periodically turning stem
    - disengage cruise and blow out cloud

I took 5 rips in total: 2 @ 30w, 2 @ 32w, 1 @ 33w and lightly stirred after 2nd and 4th. My goal
    here was just a chill sesh so wasn’t going for massive clouds but still got nice satisfying hits. If I wanted that i would prob bump it to 34-36w right after my first draw

zizwb8cdsd4ln4mp.jpeg

lh0ueyuvqgg6izon.jpeg
  • The Rogue Wax Works
    Thanks @Kinick23 I'm going to set up cruise mode on the P80 and give it a try. Its interesting, the P80 reads around .24 ohms for both the Z and the V1 while my Joytec Evic reads around .44 for both. I just got the V1 and P80 so I have a lot of experimenting to do. And as I mentioned, the V1 is working great with the P80 in wattage.
  • McNuggetsTrip
    I think cruise mode voids warranty after 30 seconds
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube