• Dr green thumb
    @EconMan

Both the peak and the carta could comfortably sell for $100 and still bring in tons of profit.

Imo they are overpriced for what they do.
  • Gman
    Just the batteries alone that come with the device are like 26$. The Ti cup and glass would be at least 50$. The base must be at least 10$ for materials. SO 100$ might be a bit low, but I agree, even 250 is high. It's on sale with now for 212 :)
  • To the Cloud

I cannot get this damn thing to turn on , got one session with it last night. Anyone have this problem ?
  • Dr green thumb
    When you buy 5,000 plus units of something it is amazing what happens to the price. And I'm sure both companies are buying more than that. I was figuring they have a cost per unit of approx $50 and I was thinking I'm on the high side of that.
  • To the Cloud
    I will say the peak feels a tad more quality out of the box. The glass , the ceramic chamber and the base all feel more quality on the peak. Even the peaks packaging was crafted so you can use it as a carrying case. LOL Now if only the defect rate could get worked out.

. I would like to see a fake Peak compared to the real one ,but the fakes are only available in sets of 100 and the USA pushers of the fakes are asking way too much on Ebay and Offer Up.

Think everyone is right though that the water dag rigs will be $150 next year at this time. $379 and $250 both feel too expensive for the peak and carta
  • EconMan
    ust the batteries alone that come with the device are like 26$. The Ti cup and glass would be at least 50$. The base must be at least 10$ for materials. So 100$ might be a bit low, but I agree, even 250 is high. It's on sale with now for 212 :)Gman

Agreed. And it is not merely the raw materials -- often the cheapest part if large batch sizes -- but the Total Average Cost per unit delivered, which I am going to guess is $125-$175.

Shit gets real once a company grows to a certain level of sales. The effective "Ma-Pa" ways of the past become archaic and cumbersome. Institutions of control are required. Everything from legal, support, sales, marketing, IT, HR, accounting, warehousing, logistics, regulatory, customs, etc. escalate in cost. Carta has an advantage here.

They enjoy economies of scale and can order from the factory in HUGE batches. They can get a much better price, for instance, ordering 50,000 glass globes than ordering 500. It is why there is small variation in the globes and bases... I'm convinced they are made in multiple factories. Puffco has a business advantage here. They can afford to do large batches.

I read a while back in The Economist Magazine, that Motorola's average after-tax margin on phones was right at $10. Then it said Apples was something like $100 Then it compared their bank accounts and I was like -- wtf! :gasp:
  • OhHello
    I’ve put 3 grams through the Carta since Wednesday and it’s been amazing every time. I am super surprised at how long the 18350s last!! I’ll definitely be investing in more quartz buckets and upgraded custom glass when it’s available.
  • Detroitvapes420
    Who has the best deal on the Carta? @Dr green thumb@OhHello
  • Dr green thumb
    Focus has 15% off on their website.
  • Detroitvapes420
    I will look again I thought it said 250 still thanks @Dr green thumb
  • OhHello
    vapeactive, code smokefree was $212 when I got it, that was last weekend though
  • To the Cloud
    I have the Carta for $199.99
  • To the Cloud
    until 4/21/2019 , but available for anyone in this thread if they call in the next 10 minutes. Or if you ask nicely in a few days too
  • EconMan
    I have the Carta for $199.99To the Cloud

Seize the day brother :)
  • To the Cloud
    Dude am really liking it, but think I am just liking concentrate life. I had a Dr Dabber Boost get returned after some dude rented it. Not smart of me , but he left something really good in there and I was like well I need to check the return make sure it's working ( hit the dab, went to space) . I was like Peak , Carta , Boost , all the same Carta is just easy as shit. Peak is better quality for sure but the Carta is just like hey I am here press this button turn me on. Boost is a hassle and top heavy but honestly as a customer I would just go for the Boost over the Carta and the Peak for the price.
  • EconMan
    I would just go for the Boost over the Carta and the Peak for the price.To the Cloud

I looked at the Boost a while back, was going to buy one, and everyone was out, at least at the time I looked. I wondered if they were discontinued to make room for the Switch?

And yes. "Concentrates life" mixes up the causality... lol... do I like the Peak, Carta, Boost, etc... because they are awesome or because concentrates are awesome? :nerd:

I’ve put 3 grams through the Carta since Wednesday and it’s been amazing every time. I am super surprised at how long the 18350s last!! I’ll definitely be investing in more quartz buckets and upgraded custom glass when it’s available.OhHello

I would be interested in your observations of the differences between the Ti and Qz buckets? On the Peak, I only like the quartz for big dabs.
  • OhHello
    I have a DD boost black and it’s nowhere near the function or quality of dab compared to the Carta or peak, didn’t stay hot enough long enough, it pools along the edges and burns the concentrate , the quartz bucket cracks super easily, the bubblers leak and don’t hold much water etc. Boosts, cloud V, dabado, are a cool premise but seems like the Carta, peak and switch are taking over that tech. The boost got the job done but i never left it out on my desk like I do the peak, Carta etc it was indeed very top heavy, limited temps, limited firing time, small buckets etc. I had a Source vapes version of the dabado/boost and it functioned the same but was even better on a box mod with the recycler attachment and the XXL buckets but I tossed all my SV stuff after what they pulled me on bud....I think a fair price for the Carta would be $199.

did you straighten out the issue with your Carta?
  • OhHello
    Im loving the quartz buckets in the Carta at alllllllll temps....so far I’ve only used the Ti bucket for the first few directly out of the box dabs, from just those few dabs I didn’t hate the Ti but it was much more intense on lower levels then the quartz and made me cough tons. I usually favor quartz on everything but will be running at least a gram through the Ti cups this week just to compare
  • To the Cloud
    yes I did. It was rather odd. I had to wait like 10 seconds after powering on to start messing with the single clicks to temp up.
  • To the Cloud
    yeah I will agree the carta and peak are much much easier to just let sit there and chill. I do like how hot the Carta gets as well. Also another thing I like about the Carta over the peak is I am getting more residual hits and when I get my extracts stuck to the side they still hit fine, whereas the peak it's a pain getting the dabs front and center on the bottom of the chamber.

I would say though quality wise I am getting good vapor from the boost, Peak and Carta. Carta was a little weird tasting at first , think it's the lack of a ceramic chamber
  • EconMan
    whereas the peak it's a pain getting the dabs front and center on the bottom of the chamber.To the Cloud

Something that works very well on the Peak is one of the glass beads Bud includes with the G43. Makes perfect dab pearls for the Peak. And yes, the issue you cite is real. I think the angle of the bottom to the side in the crucibles are too sharp, and it needs the tiny pearl. It does not do this with the 3rd party quartz crucibles.

Do you leave the pearl in there from the beginning or do you put it in when the edge pools for a last hit?
  • EconMan

Right from the beginning. You want the pearl to get HOT. I was skeptical, but my friend and bus partner, who uses his 20x more than I use mine, wanted to use one of my G43 glass beads. He came back and said you got to try this.... and indeed it works great. Just one is fine. They are so small, they "move" the oil from the corner edge of the bucket. It is possible for the little thing to stick on the swab, so be aware. :)

Thanks, I’m going to try one in my sai ti bucket someday.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet